What should the kill time for the utility weapon be?

simple thread, stating what you feel the kill time for the utility weapon should be in halo 4. for reference, the ‘utility weapon’ is the weapon like the DMR / BR / Pistol (in halo 1).

and why.

i’ll start.

i feel like the optimal kill time for the utility weapon should be 1.5 seconds.

-at this kill time, battles wont drag out like they do in reach (epic slow kill times T.T)
-you can actually start to get things done BY YOURSELF provided you take the appropriate measures.
-with faster kill times comes more ADRENALINE. what FPS gamer doesnt like adrenaline?!
-with faster kill times the power weapons will still be strictly better (because they are power weapons lol), but you wont be able to flail around with them and expect success, they’ll take a bit more skill to use because if you miss once or twice, a skilled utility weapon user will be able to take advantage of your failing, and possibly kill you.
-you can actually start to be able to WIN 1v2 battles when you are the single, by out-playing people because the kill times are fast enough.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NON-UTILITY WEAPONS. IF YOU FEEL LIKE 1.5 SECONDS IS TOO FAST, YOU HAVE NOT CONSIDERED THAT THE AR, ETC. COULD HAVE FASTER KILL TIMES THAN THIS AT THEIR NICHE RANGES.

inb4 300 randoms say ‘AR WILL SUCK with 1.5 second kill time on utility weapons’

I think a 4 shot kill is perfect, whether it’s burst fire or single shot. Not too slow, not too fast.

I completely agree with the 1.5 second kill time. I get no adrenaline in reach because everything is so slow.

Yo Dawg, we heard you like Call of Duty, so we puttin’ Call of Duty in yo’ Halo Reach!

> I completely agree with the 1.5 second kill time. I get no adrenaline in reach because everything is so slow.

I just put up a picture of Kat by my TV. That keeps my adrenaline up when the game slows down.

I would like to see around 1.0-1.2 s, between CE and H2, but still retaining CE’s magnum difficulty. DMR 5sk spam takes 1.6 s, so 1.5 is a bit slow still. 1.0-1.2 s with high difficulty would be ideal.

i would never want a call of halo. NEVER !

> I would like to see around 1.0-1.2 s, between CE and H2, but still retaining CE’s magnum difficulty. DMR 5sk spam takes 1.6 s, so 1.5 is a bit slow still. 1.0-1.2 s with high difficulty would be ideal.

I’d like to know what kind of gametype you were playing that had 1 second kill times.

> > I would like to see around 1.0-1.2 s, between CE and H2, but still retaining CE’s magnum difficulty. DMR 5sk spam takes 1.6 s, so 1.5 is a bit slow still. 1.0-1.2 s with high difficulty would be ideal.
>
> I’d like to know what kind of gametype you were playing that had 1 second kill times.

A 3 shot kill from the CE Pistol took only 0.6 seconds. Of course that’s the perfect kill time, the average kill time was definitely greater than a second.

> > I would like to see around 1.0-1.2 s, between CE and H2, but still retaining CE’s magnum difficulty. DMR 5sk spam takes 1.6 s, so 1.5 is a bit slow still. 1.0-1.2 s with high difficulty would be ideal.
>
> I’d like to know what kind of gametype you were playing that had 1 second kill times.

This gametype called Halo Combat Evolved. Has a pistol that kills in 0.6 seconds. Widely regarded as the quintessential Halo.

> with faster kill times comes more ADRENALINE. what FPS gamer doesnt like adrenaline?!

The type of FPS gamer that actually likes to put thought into their kills. Remember, the shorter combat is the less room you have for strategy and skill to overcome any single chance event. It may have more instant gratification, certainly, but there’s forces to conserve and something to take away when you decide combat with fewer shots.

4-6 shots, over the course of 1.2-1.6 seconds is fine by me. Not including bloom effects or missed shots.
Too few shoots makes the enemy feel chintzy. Too many makes the weapon feel weak. Too short a time makes encounters feel more about ambushes or an act of first to see, first to kill. Too long a time makes the weapons feel weak.

6 at 1.2 is probably my preference.

> 4-6 shots, over the course of 1.2-1.6 seconds is fine by me. Not including bloom effects or missed shots.
> Too few shoots makes the enemy feel chintzy. Too many makes the weapon feel weak. Too short a time makes encounters feel more about ambushes or an act of first to see, first to kill. Too long a time makes the weapons feel weak.
>
> 6 at 1.2 is probably my preference.

First to see, first to kill is more of an issue with low weapon difficulty than too quick of kill times. The CE magnum killed in 0.6 s, but its high difficulty allowed you to outplay enemies who got the drop on you. I agree with your 1.2 s kill time though, but I’d like to see 4-5 shots. 6 seems a bit excessive.

I would like kill times between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

And lets go back to four shots. If the main gun has too fast of a rate of fire (like the NR or Carbine) the game will devolve into spray and pray. Missed shots should be brutally detrimental. Something Halo 3 did very well.

> > with faster kill times comes more ADRENALINE. what FPS gamer doesnt like adrenaline?!
>
> The type of FPS gamer that actually likes to put thought into their kills. Remember, the shorter combat is the less room you have for strategy and skill to overcome any single chance event. It may have more instant gratification, certainly, but there’s forces to conserve and something to take away when you decide combat with fewer shots.

I don’t think there is ever much thought into the actual kills, rather what most good players put their thought into is map control, weapon control, teamwork and callouts. At least that is what halo is like for me.

> Yo Dawg, we heard you like Call of Duty, so we puttin’ Call of Duty in yo’ Halo Reach!

what?

fast kill times have been in halo since CE. reach is really the only halo game that feels especially slow (doesnt help you can just… run away… with sprint, or armor lock lol)

> > with faster kill times comes more ADRENALINE. what FPS gamer doesnt like adrenaline?!
>
> The type of FPS gamer that actually likes to put thought into their kills. Remember, the shorter combat is the less room you have for strategy and skill to overcome any single chance event. It may have more instant gratification, certainly, but there’s forces to conserve and something to take away when you decide combat with fewer shots.

then again, it also opens up more strategies because you can now engage more people with faster kill times. with longer kill times, you engage someone, and before they are dead they’ve already shot you 3 times and their ally can clean up, and often times even save them.

with faster kill times strategy is also added in getting the first shot, and taking advantage of getting the jump on someone. with longer kill times it doesnt matter if you get the jump on someone because, like stated above, their teammates can just… waddle over and clean up while they shoot you once or twice and just… walk away because you cant kill them fast enough.

not to mention things like sprint, armor lock, and evade, letting people simply dip out when they are down 1 shot in a DMR battle lol.

fewer shots isnt what im after. its fast kill times that i want. more shots = more need for aiming = more skill gap right?

i think 4 shots, 1.5 second kill time would be crucial.

I say no utility weapon …

> I say no utility weapon …

Why? Without a utility weapon the entire premise of the Halo sandbox falls apart and power weapons would be elevated to god tier.

> > I say no utility weapon …
>
> Why? Without a utility weapon the entire premise of the Halo sandbox falls apart and power weapons would be elevated to god tier.

I’d rather get spawn trapped for not having a utility weapon over playing the game and being forced to use the utility weapon since it’s the only way to survive … CE pistol was over powered, Halo 2/3 DMR was even further over powered, ODST Carbine was a monster, then we get into Reach … Damn the DMR/NR … who needs any other gun? … It’s boring and bland being forced to use a certain gun that was built for all situations …