What perks would be acceptable?

343 has confirmed the existence of non-cosmetic unlocks in Halo 4.

However, Frankie said, “Any changes we’ve made we’re made with the mindset that this is still a Halo game. There’s something for everyone. From the casual fan, to the storyline people, all the way up to the professional competitive gamer… We’ve thought about it, and we’ve got it covered.”

This gives me at least some peace of mind. So that being said, what gameplay-altering “perks” would be acceptable, while still keeping this a Halo game?

Obviously, weapon unlocks are out of the question in a sandbox game. Also, things like, having more health or moving faster would, in my opinion, be game-breaking, and they know it. Here’s my list of things they could implement, and not ruin Halo as we know it. I’d rather they not give us perks, but they already said they are, and that’s that. Here goes:

1. The ability to carry 1 more grenade of each type. (Maybe only let you spawn with 1 or 2, and carry up to 3.)
  2. Increased ammo capacity by 10-20%.
  3. Interchangeable scopes for the BR and sniper. (2x vs. 3x for the BR, for example. The H3 BR was 2x. The DMR is 3x. 90% of players didn’t even notice.)
  4. Decreased reload time by 10-20%.

Any more ideas? Of the above, which would you pick?

I was gonna say something, but then read that I needed to pick one.

Your looking for an answer other than none?

Never going to happen.

People are so narrow minded.
heres my list.

.One extra grenade (like you said)
.Bit more reserved ammo (like you said)
.Maybe a larger radar range
.quieter foot steps (since they are supposed to be louder)

Thats just about it.

Visor/HUD upgrades would be something to think about.

Any damage or resistance modifiers (Stopping Power, Juggernaut) are out. They just screw with the game’s balance and make the experience too inconsistent.

None.

/thread

> None.
>
> /thread

Can’t adapt?

I can’t honestly think what a balanced perk would be.

That scares me a little.

> > None.
> >
> > /thread
>
> Can’t adapt?

They shouldn’t even be in the game. Personal enhancements from gamestart is the gaming definition of inconsistency.

Only One Perk:
None

> > None.
> >
> > /thread
>
> Can’t adapt?

Bahahahaha!

Don’t make me laugh.

I can and have adapted far better than you ever will.

> Only One Perk:
> None

“None”? What is its ability? It seems intriguing

People need to start accepting that there IS a “perk” system. We don’t know how they are going to do it yet but I trust 343i will balance it.

> > Only One Perk:
> > None
>
> “None”? What is its ability? It seems intriguing

It’s an amazing perk.

It allows you, and every other player to spawn onto the battle field equally!

> > > Only One Perk:
> > > None
> >
> > “None”? What is its ability? It seems intriguing
>
> It’s an amazing perk.
>
> It allows you, and every other player to spawn onto the battle field equally!

Imagine that.

Maybe a one second longer sprint duration / jetpack duration
Of course, the perks would need to be balanced, so maybe you would either sprint slower or your base speed would drop slightly. For the jetpack, maybe your jump hight is decreased, or the maximum hight achievable is lowered.

I have hope that it works. I’m a little scared tho

> I can’t honestly think what a balanced perk would be.
>
> That scares me a little.

This. I don’t know how different perks and balanced game for all go together. I mean, I’m not against Perks and I hope 343i have enough imagination to create perks that do not affect balance. Your grenade idea is IMO a good one. Let see what they come up with. I still have faith it’ll be good. hopefully…

> People need to start accepting that there IS a “perk” system. We don’t know how they are going to do it yet but I trust 343i will balance it.

Only “perk” system I’d ever like are powerups found in game. Can’t balance if people start differently at the beginning of the game. One “perk” will become known as the “best” and then people who don’t use it will be at a disadvantage.