What map styles and maps would you like to see in halo 4?

I was going to right a big thread on how i’d love halo 4 to have all of maps from previous halo games, and allow them all to be forged on (and possibly make the maps out of forge objects too), but i mainly wanted to discuss the map styles of the previous games.

I personally found the maps in halo reach terrible in comparison to the other. In fact the best ones where the remakes, and community made maps. They all were based upon maps which in no way were symmetrical (with the exception of a couple), and lead to unbalanced spawns etc. They had no character and didn’t play that well. The addition of armour abilities (removing things like equipment and camo/ovy) removed the impact of map control too, something i hated.

I found that rather than halo 2/3 where there were only a few maps i disliked, in halo reach there were only a few i liked.

Just wondering what people’s opinions are on this issue, and what they’d like to see in halo 4.

Would people want all new maps, some remakes, or all previous maps remade, or at least forgeable for example? What percentage of maps would they want to be new/remade. I personally would rather have 100% remade maps and 0% new maps if they would be like reach, but if they are going to be good 50-50 would be great. I think reamking maps would be alot easier, and so it could allow for more maps in the final product, something i’m definately for as there usually aren’t enough maps initially.

most new maps and some remade ones

First order of business: Don’t have your multiplayer maps be cut and pasted from Campaign locations. Biggest mistake Bungie ever made.

I want vehicles on 4v4 maps.

one thing id like are maps that sway to one gametype, for instance lets talk about high ground. that map was excellent for a lot of one sided gameplay. it would be excellent for one sided ctf/bomb, infection, and (if it were in reach) invasion. i would really enjoy it if they made their maps with certain gametypes in mind. come on, who woud’nt want to have a map built just for racing, infection, etc.

another thing id like to see are maps that make the player change his/her style of gameplay. an example would be the gears of war 3 map thats based around trenches. i would love to see trench warfare on halo. it would definently make people think on swat. so, in conclusion, lets also have maps that make people think before they shoot.

I would like semetrical style maps like Sanctuary from H2. Pit from H3. Midship etc. I think we have all seen way to many remakes of maps and I would love to see the developers come up with some new creative maps. Please no 0 G maps though.

As for the forge I would love to see them allow you to put grass on objests surfaces or be able to change the texture of pieces as well. I find all the forge maps basically look the same and some varity in the forge would be awsome. Spray paint or something of the nature would be cool too.

Personally, I’d like to see maps like:

The Pit, Narrows, Guardian, Lockout, Construct, Sanctuary, Midship, Zealot, Foundation, Citadel, etc.

Thanks for all the comments. I can agree with most of them. Definately including maps in campaign was a terrible mistake.

I also loved high ground for its one sided objective. Unfortunately i agree many maps are too focused on multiple gametypes. Sometimes this is fine, but i wouldnt want it to take it away from its main focus.

I personally love symmetrical maps. Reach missed these dearly. I like medium/ small sized maps like midship, citadel, assembly and isolation, and maps like ghost town guardian lockout and epitaph, aswell as things like turf.

I think reach had terrible maps, and i think part of that reason was the lack of map control necessary for it (due to aa’s).

> Thanks for all the comments. I can agree with most of them. Definately including maps in campaign was a terrible mistake.
>
> I also loved high ground for its one sided objective. Unfortunately i agree many maps are too focused on multiple gametypes. Sometimes this is fine, but i wouldnt want it to take it away from its main focus.
>
> I personally love symmetrical maps. Reach missed these dearly. I like medium/ small sized maps like midship, citadel, assembly and isolation, and maps like ghost town guardian lockout and epitaph, aswell as things like turf.
>
> I think reach had terrible maps, and i think part of that reason was the lack of map control necessary for it (due to aa’s).

true, i really dislike the fact that i have to try to make maps “jetpack-friendly” on forge. really aggervating since i love using optical illusions to make my maps look better.

I think they should focus on new maps, but still do remakes of some of the best maps like blood gulch, headlong, zanzibar, and other awesome ones. I definitely agree with the fact that reach maps sucked. NEVER pull maps from campaign.

I’ll be completely satisfied if there are a lot of symmetrical maps. It’s a necessity for Halo, and Reach failed with this.

Also, a few remakes are fine, but I would love if they created a bunch of new amazing maps that we’ll remember for years to come, just like Lockout, Relic, the Pit etc…

We need a new lockout. Not a remake, but a map with the same attributes that made lockout so popular.

Ah Bungie made a huge mistake… They actually made the maps for Multiplayer first, but added them in Campaign as sort of an homage to the Multiplayer. But, no one remembers reading that or follows the game that closely to have read it so they just assume it was ripped out of the Campaign.

I believe it was a Bungie Weekly Update many, many months ago.

I would like new maps mostly. No more remakes, or very few.

Also, start off with at least 1 Forge World and at least 3 different templates to use with the Forge World.

Let the Community do the rest!

Small to medium sized symmetrical maps. Symmetrical maps are the best and most balanced maps. Everyone has a fair chance at each weapon, power-up, etc. And small to medium sized maps are the best, because there is always action, you’re not wasting your time running around the whole map looking for someone, just to die and start it all over again.

Maps not ripped from campaign and rather made for matchmaking. Symmetrical maps of varying sizes should dominate, with a few assymetrical maps, also varying in sizes. Almost all should accomodate vehicles, whether just a simple mongoose and ghost, all the way up to a few hogs, a tank, a few mongeese and ghosts, but only if it makes sense (you wouldn’t want to put some mongeese on guardian unless maybe for a race map, and wouldn’t only put ghosts on sandtrap, though the heavy variants in matchmaking were rather fun, so if it works, keep it) They need to accomodate both those on foot and those in vehicles, similar to that of avalanche and valhalla, in that there were shortcuts to take on foot, and practically all of the map for vehicles. They need to range between settings (forerunner, covenant, human, space, snow, forest, desert, normal [as in something like valhalla]) and should included interactive items on the maps (buttons, elevators, etc.). All should be made as actual maps rather than forge maps, as those could come later, but ONLY if they are try good enough to be in matchmaking.

The most important thing for them to do is go back to original locations. Trying to fit them into the campaign aesthetic made them boring when you went into multiplayer.

Secondly, they need to just have good design above all things. Even if they were all boring grey walls, as long as they play well, I don’t care.

First: No remakes. Of any map. Not yet.

Anyway, when Halo 4 ships, there should be a decent mix. Three good Big Team maps (two symmetrical, one asymm), three arena-style maps (small to medium, ones that would be especially good for FFA), then five medium to medium-large maps for team games (mix of symmetrical and asymm). Also, if Invasion still exists for Halo 4, have two maps for that (they can potentially double as Big Team maps). Then, the finishing touch, two Forge World-style maps with radically different environments and object styles from each other.

Forging the Big Team maps from either of the Forge World maps is acceptable, but you are permitted no more than one. The same applies for the other map classes I listed. I don’t want to see how good at Forge 343 is, because the community is going to fill that role. It’s up to 343 to deliver high-quality professionally-developed maps to the community.

I personally enjoy maps that have alot of access points and streches of open area maps like cage, cliffhanger, black out, lockout, condemed, guardian, ect.

Anything that doesn’t tailor to armor abilities will be good. You should be able to get around the map fairly easily without Sprint and Jetpack. Armor abilities are the worst thing that has ever been implemented in a Halo title. Only slightly ahead of Bloom.

We need more multipurpose maps, in Halo Reach there are like 3 maps that are essentially useless. Spire is ONLY good for invasion, Boneyard is not even good for Invasion or anything else for that matter, and Breakpoint is ONLY good for Invasion.

Why is this? I know it is a new gametype but seriously? Three maps for a gametype that most players don’t even like anyway?

And then there are NINE firefight maps that don’t double as multiplayer maps.

The only maps that came out of Reach that you can actually use for various games are Boardwalk, Countdown, and Zealot. All of the other maps just don’t have the potential unless your counting Bungie’s Forgeworld maps, but here I am just counting Forgeworld as one map.

Why could they not either make more maps or make maps that have multipurpose potential? Countdown is the perfect example of a map that can be used for many things, everything from 4v4 to 8v8 and every single objective game.

Oh I forgot about Anchor 9, it is good but it seriously does not need space except for that top middle area, but that does not need to be zero-gravity.

Halo 4 needs maps that function like Countdown, but play as well as maps like Midship.

There’s my two cents.