What makes Halo ...Halo?

I added the dots between Halo and Halo for a lil dramatic effect. Anyway the point of this thread is to know what people who have been playing halo before halo reach came out think what makes halo a halo game. The reason why I made this Topic is because people have been saying that halo 4 isn’t halo. So I’ll ask again, what makes Halo Halo? (letters have been bolded for dramatic effect)

Master Chief Petty Officer John-117

Equal fair starts.

For me I would say it was the arena type of combat that always made me love Halo. As you may know, Halo is no longer an arena shooter and has turned into an unoriginal class based shooter.

The Warthog

> Equal fair starts.

> Master Chief Petty Officer John-117

I mean the multiplayer.

A forging space that has the potential for great maps to be made on it for years to come.

Customs that range from your classic Infection, to gametypes no sane person could fathom.

A ranking system for skill that challenges you in every match, rewards the winners, lets the losers learn from their mistakes, and forms good bonds between teams.

Fair starts off spawn.

The title…

> <mark>A forging space that has the potential for great maps to be made on it for years to come.</mark>
>
>
> Customs that range from your classic Infection, to gametypes no sane person could fathom.
>
>
> A ranking system for skill that challenges you in every match, rewards the winners, lets the losers learn from their mistakes, and forms good bonds between teams.
>
>
> Fair starts off spawn.

So Halo CE and 2 weren’t Halo games? I agree with the rest of your post, though.

> > <mark>A forging space that has the potential for great maps to be made on it for years to come.</mark>
> >
> >
> > Customs that range from your classic Infection, to gametypes no sane person could fathom.
> >
> >
> > A ranking system for skill that challenges you in every match, rewards the winners, lets the losers learn from their mistakes, and forms good bonds between teams.
> >
> >
> > Fair starts off spawn.
>
> So Halo CE and 2 weren’t Halo games? I agree with the rest of your post, though.

I think that this may be the best definition so far…

Halo was a game that was easy to pick up and play, hard to master. Players needed to have knowledge of maps, weapons, strategic points on the maps where power ups were then control them. This promoted strategy, tactics and team play.

While understanding these things was not necessary to have fun, or even win games in Halo’s mp it was something that players became aware of when they started seeking to improve their playing. Almost everyone, if asked, can related a story of that “ah-hah” moment where some element of gameplay that had eluded them finally snapped into focus and whole new ideas, tactics and vistas opened up for the player.

Then there was the engaging ranking system that kept players coming back for more. The thrill of getting the next rank, or ranking up after a paticularly hard fought game.

> > <mark>A forging space that has the potential for great maps to be made on it for years to come.</mark>
> >
> >
> > Customs that range from your classic Infection, to gametypes no sane person could fathom.
> >
> >
> > A ranking system for skill that challenges you in every match, rewards the winners, lets the losers learn from their mistakes, and forms good bonds between teams.
> >
> >
> > Fair starts off spawn.
>
> So Halo CE and 2 weren’t Halo games? I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Halo CE and H2 are Halo, but they were by no means the climax of popularity of success the series saw.

> Halo was a game that was easy to pick up and play, hard to master. Players needed to have knowledge of maps, weapons, strategic points on the maps where power ups were then control them. This promoted strategy, tactics and team play.
>
> While understanding these things was not necessary to have fun, or even win games in Halo’s mp it was something that players became aware of when they started seeking to improve their playing. Almost everyone, if asked, can related a story of that “ah-hah” moment where some element of gameplay that had eluded them finally snapped into focus and whole new ideas, tactics and vistas opened up for the player.
>
> Then there was the engaging ranking system that kept players coming back for more. The thrill of getting the next rank, or ranking up after a paticularly hard fought game.

simplicity above all

The answer will always change between each person. Some would say health makes Halo a better Halo, some would say that the lack of health like in Call of Duty is what makes Halo a better Halo. It will always change.

The best thing about Halo though is the vast amount of options to allow people to always create their own Halo. To alter existing or create new maps, gametypes or playlists.

The problem with this is that in recent years some people gained a huge sense of self-entitlement and believe what they personally want is what’s best for the whole fanbase. They’re not even willing to discuss it with you, just insult you and demand the developers listen to them and only them.

Crappy threads like this make me want to puke.

You can’t “explain” what makes Halo “Halo.” I mean, I could try, but unless you experienced the glory days of Halo 2/3, you wouldn’t understand.

That’s what I absolutely despise about these new Halo “fans” that defend Halo 4. They literally don’t understand what makes Halo “Halo” and acts as if 343 somehow is doing the Halo series justice because Halo 4 is “fun” to play.

Halo 2/3 (and CE, but I’m keeping this online only for simplicity’s sake) filled a niche that was missing in the online FPS market. The sheer uniqueness of Matchmaking, the ranking system, the customs (and custom options), how Halo 2 brought MLG to the mainstream (Halo 3 boosted MLG to glory), and the simplicity of the game. You can’t describe these things to get the full effect, you needed to have experienced them.

There’s nothing like playing that Team Slayer match where you know that if you win, you’ll rank up, and if you lose, you’ll rank down. It’s an amazing feeling that seems to be completely lost on this new community.

Sad, really. Halo is dead and some will have never known it.

> A forging space that has the potential for great maps to be made on it for years to come.
>
>
> Customs that range from your classic Infection, to gametypes no sane person could fathom.
>
>
> A ranking system for skill that challenges you in every match, rewards the winners, lets the losers learn from their mistakes, and forms good bonds between teams.
>
>
> Fair starts off spawn.

So by that logic, there were only 2 halo’s ever made.

2 and 3.

Halo CE had no forge and no ranking system.

Casual games with your friends and having fun.

oh and T-Bagging.

> Crappy threads like this make me want to puke.
>
> You can’t “explain” what makes Halo “Halo.” I mean, I could try, but unless you experienced the glory days of Halo 2/3, you wouldn’t understand.
>
> That’s what I absolutely despise about these new Halo “fans” that defend Halo 4. They literally don’t understand what makes Halo “Halo” and acts as if 343 somehow is doing the Halo series justice because Halo 4 is “fun” to play.
>
> Halo 2/3 (and CE, but I’m keeping this online only for simplicity’s sake) filled a niche that was missing in the online FPS market. The sheer uniqueness of Matchmaking, the ranking system, the customs (and custom options), how Halo 2 brought MLG to the mainstream (Halo 3 boosted MLG to glory), and the simplicity of the game. You can’t describe these things to get the full effect, you needed to have experienced them.
>
> There’s nothing like playing that Team Slayer match where you know that if you win, you’ll rank up, and if you lose, you’ll rank down. It’s an amazing feeling that seems to be completely lost on this new community.
>
> Sad, really. Halo is dead and some will have never known it.

I dont consider any of that as what makes halo, halo.

oh by the way, I’ve been playing since midnight nov 2001. :wink: