What makes Halo, Halo

This is the big question at the moment. With the direction Halo 4 is taking it could be expected people would complain that the new game in the series is no longer truly Halo. I wan’t to refute that point.

People seem to believe that halo is made up of many different gameplay elements. Weather it be everyone starting equally, high jump height, no fall damage and what not. These things DO NOT make halo halo. Halo is discovering the Halo array, Halo is escaping the pillar of autumn, Halo is shooting a BR for the first time, Halo is leaving Cortana behind. Halo is getting that clutch flag cap, Halo is making that really cool forge map, Halo is getting that lucky collateral on Valhalla, Halo is flying through forge world for the first time, Halo is watching a save-film with your friends, Halo is gloating about that perfection you got. People say that if halo 4 isn’t a hardcore arena shooter than they won’t buy it, go ahead. What makes halo unique is NOT the fact it’s like many other arena shooters, it’s those fun, quirky moments that you remember years after they happened.

In my opinion, Halo 4 is looking just like a Halo game. Maybe it won’t be quite as fair or balanced, but that doesn’t matter, the atmosphere, the soul, it all looks like halo to me. As did reach, as will (hopefully) Halo 4. People that say they are hardcore Halo fans seem to believe that halo is all about the multiplayer being Balanced. This saddens me. Halo is so much more, and too many people seem to miss that.

Reading this made me realise what made Halo, Halo for me. It was all those summer days where I’d come home, get online with my friends, find that games equivalent of Blood Gulch, grab a Warthog, and drive around as my friends would gun everybody down.

As long as I can do that, it’s Halo.

> This is the big question at the moment. With the direction Halo 4 is taking it could be expected people would complain that the new game in the series is no longer truly Halo. I wan’t to refute that point.
>
> People seem to believe that halo is made up of many different gameplay elements. Weather it be everyone starting equally, high jump height, no fall damage and what not. These things DO NOT make halo halo. Halo is discovering the Halo array, Halo is escaping the pillar of autumn, Halo is shooting a BR for the first time, Halo is leaving Cortana behind. Halo is getting that clutch flag cap, Halo is making that really cool forge map, Halo is getting that lucky collateral on Valhalla, Halo is flying through forge world for the first time, Halo is watching a save-film with your friends, Halo is gloating about that perfection you got. People say that if halo 4 isn’t a hardcore arena shooter than they won’t buy it, go ahead. What makes halo unique is NOT the fact it’s like many other arena shooters, it’s those fun, quirky moments that you remember years after they happened.
>
> In my opinion, Halo 4 is looking just like a Halo game. Maybe it won’t be quite as fair or balanced, but that doesn’t matter, the atmosphere, the soul, it all looks like halo to me. As did reach, as will (hopefully) Halo 4. People that say they are hardcore Halo fans seem to believe that halo is all about the multiplayer being Balanced. This saddens me. Halo is so much more, and too many people seem to miss that.

You, sir, are a genius. The people who complain about the multiplayer tweaks and say its not halo are crazy and really don’t know what makes halo halo. Sure a good multiplayer is good and all, but halo is about the campaign, Master Chief, the flood, humanity fighting for survival, the halo array, the forerunners, etc.

Then again, I’m acting like I know everything…

What can i say. This thread describes my feelings exactly.

> What does Halo mean to you?
> What makes Halo Halo?

Two different questions, but often they get used interchangeably. The first question is subjective, the other isn’t. What makes Halo is Halo: Combat Evolved. The further you stray from that game the further you stray from Halo. This encompasses everything, from story to gameplay mechanics. Halo 4 has ditched a lot of traditional Halo game mechanics, but not lore; they’re delving deeper into that than ever before. So from one person’s point of view, especially if they like Halo for the gameplay mechanics, Halo 4 is less Halo. On the other hand, a person who loves Halo for its lore would perhaps think of Halo 4 as more.

Equal starts
Weapon and power pick ups
Gameplay that revolves around guns, nades and melee

Anything that doesn’t change this formula is fine.

Unfortunately most of reach’s and H4’s additions do.

I always thought the answer was shields.

No one can place it, but you know it when you feel it. Halo 4 IS a Halo game regardless of what anyone says, though the gameplay might be vastly different.

I would say that the “strafe dance” around the “golden triangle” of weapons, grenades, and melee is what coins the Halo multiplayer experience.

There is certainly more to Halo then just that, but that is basic rinse and repeat game play which makes Halo… Halo.

To me, Halo is a game where the story is full of mystery and excitement, and the gameplay is a mix of infantry and vehicular combat on a wide variety of fascinating maps. To me, Halo is fun.

And thus, every Halo game so far is “Halo”, and Halo 4 seems to be even more of what I love!

Weapon
/Golden Triangle
Melee-------------Grenade