What makes Halo a mature game?

I recently read x KALIPZO x’s thread, titled “Make the M Rating Count” and it made me curious. What was the reason that the Halo series got a Mature rating? Let’s look at some of the things stereotypically present in M rated games.

  1. Blood. Halo has a little. Very little. Enough to be comical.

  2. Gore. Halo has none, unless you count the Flood, which aren’t really even that gory at all.

  3. Sexual content. Halo has none.

  4. Vulgar language. Halo has none. Mickey even says “son of a gun” where you’d expect him to use something slightly more profane.

  5. Depictions of brutality/slaughter. Halo has very little–you see Brutes killing a few civilians in one mission of Halo Reach. That’s all.

Don’t get me wrong, Halo is my all-time favorite video game because it doesn’t really use any of the elements above… but for the same reasons shouldn’t it be rated T for Teen?

What makes it a mature game? A skill based visible ranking system.

> What makes it a mature game? A skill based visible ranking system.

That, in no way, warrants a Mature 17+ rating.

No sexual content? I disagree. Cortana’s figure is very suggestive.

> No sexual content? I disagree. Cortana’s figure is very suggestive.

…You actually think that’s sexual content? Go look at GTA or God of War.

It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.

EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3

> but for the same reasons shouldn’t it be rated T for Teen?

Probably, but I don’t care. A rating is just a rating. To me, Halo doesn’t need to branded mature to continue to capture my interest. I often find games which strive to be as gory and offensive as possible to be immature, forced and rather silly. Games can accomplish dark and interesting themes without having to use excessive language and gore.

For example, Chief discovering the true purpose of Halo in Halo: CE or having him leave Cortana behind in Halo 2, which happen to be seminal moments in the Halo series, are also way more interesting and thought-provoking than the thought of him swearing every two seconds and exposing aliens to a bloodbath.

> > No sexual content? I disagree. Cortana’s figure is very suggestive.
>
> …You actually think that’s sexual content? Go look at GTA or God of War.

Not as extreme, no. But still there.

> 2. Gore. Halo has none, unless you count the Flood, which aren’t really even that gory at all.

Except for when they’re half-rotting corpses and random limbs lying around. Or eerily screeching in a misty battlefield. For immature kids, the Flood should be considered very mature.

> 3. Sexual content. Halo has none.

Cortana is naked. Even then this doesn’t figure into the M rating because it’s not explicit nudity.

> 4. Vulgar language. Halo has none. Mickey even says “son of a gun” where you’d expect him to use something slightly more profane.

Actually, it does have some. Johnson was known to break out the “SOB,” Jun says that you “p*ssed them off,” I’ve had Grunts break out the F-bomb, and I’m pretty sure there are other examples. For kids under 18, this should not be content readily available to them.

> 5. Depictions of brutality/slaughter. Halo has very little–you see Brutes killing a few civilians in one mission of Halo Reach. That’s all.

Humans and Elites getting turned into Flood should be very disturbing. Not to mention we see Kat shot in the head and Emile impaled. That’s reasonably mature.

> It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
>
> EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3

I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.

> > It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
> >
> > EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg
>
> I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.

Call of Duty doesn’t count… that game is made for teens to be quite honest.

In our society of political correctness and overprotective mothers, anything with blood or guns is bound to ruffle some feathers, as pathetic as that is.

> > but for the same reasons shouldn’t it be rated T for Teen?
>
> Probably, but I don’t care. A rating is just a rating. To me, Halo doesn’t need to branded mature to continue to capture my interest. I often find games which strive to be as gory and offensive as possible to be immature, forced and rather silly. Games can accomplish dark and interesting themes without having to use excessive language and gore.
>
> For example, Chief discovering the true purpose of Halo in Halo: CE or having him Cortana behind in Halo 2, which happen to be seminal moments in the Halo series, are also way more interesting and thought-provoking than the thought of him swearing every two seconds and exposing aliens to a bloodbath.

I never said it didn’t capture my interest. I just implied that the M rating is unjustified and ESRB should revoke it in favor of a T rating.

> > > It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
> > >
> > > EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3
> >
> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg
> >
> > I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.
>
> Call of Duty doesn’t count… that game is made for teens to be quite honest.

There’s also:
Tom Clancy’s EndWar
GRAW 1
GRAW 2
Battlefield: Bad Company
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Medal of Honor: Airborne
America’s Army: True Soliders
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
History Channel: Civil War/Secret Missions/Battle for the Pacific
Hour of Victory

And that’s just modern shooters.

> In our society of political correctness and overprotective mothers, anything with blood or guns is bound to ruffle some feathers, as pathetic as that is.

Agreed. Our High School wouldn’t even let us play Halo on the last day of school for us Seniors because of the act of shooting and killing others.

> > It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
> >
> > EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg
>
> I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.

Wars was rated T. It was the only game in the Halo series that actually got the content rating it deserved.

> > > > It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
> > > >
> > > > EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3
> > >
> > > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg
> > >
> > > I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.
> >
> > Call of Duty doesn’t count… that game is made for teens to be quite honest.
>
> There’s also:
> Tom Clancy’s EndWar
> GRAW 1
> GRAW 2
> Battlefield: Bad Company
> Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
> Medal of Honor: Airborne
> America’s Army: True Soliders
> Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
> History Channel: Civil War/Secret Missions/Battle for the Pacific
> Hour of Victory
>
> And that’s just modern shooters.

Hmmm you do have a point there sir. Touche. I don’t know why it received an M rating then to be honest.

The most logical thing I could think of is because the depiction of the Flood and how Humans and Covenant can turn into the Flood which is very graphic and might not suit teens too well.

> > > It receives a Mature rating simply because it involves war being the pinnacle focus in the game. Conflicts between multiple parties killing each other for the chance of victory. So yes, it makes sense that it is rated M.
> > >
> > > EDIT: +1 for being my l33t post :3
> >
> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Call_of_Duty_2_Box.jpg
> >
> > I agree that it doesn’t deserve an M rating. CE-3 and Wars might of because of the Flood, but that could go either way.
>
> Wars was rated T. It was the only game in the Halo series that actually got the content rating it deserved.

I completely forgot Wars got a T rating. Must have something to do with the fact that the rest are FPS, which makes it feel more personal. It still doesn’t deserve an M rating for that though, you’re shooting either aliens or robots most of the time in campaign anyway.

Halo CE had so much blood it lagged my Xbox. Good times.

> Halo CE had so much blood it lagged my Xbox. Good times.

That was only if you took an assault rifle and held down the trigger while aiming at a dead body.