What made Halo 2 the best online MP

Everybody had mics.

That’s right. It wasn’t just the gameplay and functionality of the multiplayer of the legendary Halo 2 that made it so great, it was the interaction within the community. There was no Xbox live party chat. There was a “within vicinity” speaking that made messing with people’s head a reality mid-game! Don’t you remember the moments while you were on Zanzibar in the middle of their base with Camo jesting, “Where am I red team?! Bet you can’t find me? Your mother is a donkey and loves apples!” These were the moments that made playing all the more worthwhile, not to mention that if you were the kind of guy to say, “good game” afterwards, you know that people actually heard you. I know that I was one of the many that would say “good game” and then immediately dip out, but it was comforting knowing that at least they heard me, regardless of if they were jerks or not.

My suggestion is to take out party chat capabilities in non-social matchmaking, and enable “within vicinity” cross-talk in Halo: Reach’s title update (if possible) and Halo’s further installments.

Bring the community aspect back into Halo. Make having a mic fun again.

Edit: I’m not asking for them to completely take away party chat, just force out people when they play “ranked” playlists. I’d be completely happy if they did an experiment with the idea and apply it just to reach’s Team Slayer or Squad Slayer.

no. I hate talking to randoms.
One thing you failed to notice is that since halo 2, the under 12 year old population is MUCH,MUCH bigger.
Either you let me talk party chat, or im keeping my mic unplugged.

I’ve made such good XBL friends with my mic. It only takes being nice :slight_smile:

> no. I hate talking to randoms.One thing you failed to notice is that since halo 2, the under 12 year old population is MUCH,MUCH bigger. Either you let me talk party chat, or im keeping my mic unplugged.

Granted that that is true, there is still a large population of young adults and grown teenagers that are worth talking to. If you don’t want to have your mic plugged in, that’s fine, at least you’ll be able to hear the call-outs or whatever else. If you’re that insistent on not talking to anybody, than there is also the “mute” option for those that you would like to quickly mute (scoreboard check, scroll down, then “X”).

Too often is it the case that not a single word is exchanged between teammates, and on top of that, opposing team members.

Besides, half the time when im in game chat, no one has their mics in, except those in other party chats. i only come across other teenagers EXTREMELY rarely.
This will never happen, and if it does, im selling all my halo related stuffs.

I completely agree. Yet now, when I suggest that we have no-party-chat playlists in Halo 4, people bash me and say they only want to talk to their friends… :confused:

Back in 2004 Halo was pretty much the only game anyone ever played on the Xbox. Cross game chat wasn’t necessary because no one was playing Call of Duty, Fallout, GTA, Battlefield, or Gears on the Xbox. All of your friends were probably on Halo 2 and you didn’t need to go into Party chat to talk to them.

If Party chat was disabled, people would be stuck talking to randoms who may or may not be very entertaining.

> Besides, half the time when im in game chat, no one has their mics in, except those in other party chats. i only come across other teenagers EXTREMELY rarely.
> This will never happen, and if it does, im selling all my halo related stuffs.

Exactly, those that do have their mics in, are in party chat, forcing them out of party chat for the sake of communication and community is what I’m trying to get at.

> Back in 2004 Halo was pretty much the only game anyone ever played on the Xbox. Cross game chat wasn’t necessary because no one was playing Call of Duty, Fallout, GTA, Battlefield, or Gears on the Xbox. All of your friends were probably on Halo 2 and you didn’t need to go into Party chat to talk to them.
>
> If Party chat was disabled, people would be stuck talking to randoms who may or may not be very entertaining.

Granted that this was pretty much the case, I’m not advocating disabling party chat completely. Party chat would still be available to those in Social matchmaking and in the lobby, but when you go into “ranked” playlists and push “start matchmaking,” it should force everybody out of party chat.

I think that it was more or less the novelty that was x-box live, dual-weilding (Akimbo actually refers to standing in such a position with one’s hands on their hips), and good-to-great MP maps. I wouldn’t say that Halo 2 had the best MP out of any of the Halo games, but people think that it was the "golden age’ because there were not as many gimmicks as today’s MP. There was always the controversy of a person who dual-weilded had exactly twice the firerpower (thanks to SMG starts) as a person who just spawned. Plus, Halo 2 showed us why dual-weildeing needlers is so unfair and why rocket launchers shouldn’t be anti-everything. I think that Halo 3 had the best MP overall. Dual-weilding was balanced, the audio was much better, scenery much sharper, and some of the best MP map lineups of all time. This is not to say i’m looking down on Halo 2’s MP, in fact I think it was actually very good, but it wasn’t perfect. Halo reach might have done better if some, if not all, the AAs were pickups. Then players might have to decide on going for the weapon, or the AA. Everytime I go back to Halo 3 and play on Snowbound, It still amazes me that it actually plays, feels, and looks better than ANY of Reach’s maps…

Why the Halo matchmaking experience hasn’t made me deaf: The Party Chat feature.

As I’ve said several thousand times before, the Halo community is writhing with the voices of wailing banshees and gluttonous troglodytes. I love playing Halo, but my ears can’t tolerate your horrifying vocals, so being able to chat with my friends using the Party Chat feature - even while they play different games - has literally saved my sense of hearing.

Thank you, Xbox Live.

Its just not happening, halo has no right to strip me of my party chat

Because of party chat, the only people who put their mics in most of the time are those who want to start a fight over the internetz.

Seems as if most people that have replied have completely lost faith in anybody having any sort of characteristic besides “annoying 12 year old” behind the mic on the other end. The people that aren’t those people, and have their mics plugged in, are consistently in Party chat, sometimes even including myself. There is a good amount of time though, that I have my mic plugged in to game chat, and I have good communication and conversations with the people I’m playing with. There is hope people, you just have to give it a chance.