What is your definition of skill?

Skill in online games is open to as much interpretation as anything else. To some it’s mastery of the most precision weaponry, to others it’s map control, to MLG its spawn camping (apologies to any MLG players here but the pro playhers really arn’t all that good). To me it’s raw ability.

Cast your eyes back to another age. The age of Halo 2 (which I never played) and Halo 3. Though I had no experience with Halo 2 I have been informed of the key attributes and it seems very similar to Halo 3 in playstyle and competetiveness so it really doesn’t matter. Skill was an easily defined thing in Halo 3. Nothing was overpowered in the opinion of many gamers I have spoken to. If you need a clearer picture, dodging bullets whas an actual skill with a steep learning curve in Halo 3, try that in Reach and see where it gets you.

The point is, what is skill to you, and how would you like it implemented into your online games. To me a more skilled player should always be able to beat, not just a less skilled player, but several less skilled players. In Halo 3 I could walk into a room with naught but a magnum, run into 3 enemy players, and leave through the other side without a scratch. I kid you not, the balance of skill and weaponry was so fine that one player could beat many. In Reach bungie attempted to mimic the flawed MLG representation of skill. To MLG, skill is when you can pin an enemy in their spawn point slaughtering an outnumbered and outgunned group of opponents who could quite easily dominate their cowardly opposition if it wern’t for the MLG players “skill”. In Reach, numbers and luck win a battle, not skill.

Politely discuss.

Skill

noun /skil/
skills, plural

The ability to do something well; expertise

> (apologies to any MLG players here but the pro playhers really arn’t all that good)

I stopped reading here. I’ve been a semi-professional class Halo player since Halo 2, I’ve been so close and yet so far. Would you care to explain to me how the people who have contracts and sponsorships with very well known companies aren’t that good? Correct me if I am wrong, but haven’t they proven themselves to be the best is the game?

MLG players are skilled, however I disagree with their style of play. MLG players rely on outnumbering their opponents and “map control” which is a polite way of saying spawn camping. I have beaten MLG pro players repeatadely thanks to the ability to dodge bullets in Halo 3. Sure they get sponsored. Hundreds of people beat MLG pro’s every day. Thousands of people are better than them. Hell, you might be. They have the right contacts in the real world. Odds are, their really not all that good, but a non gamer is going to think their brilliant, dump a team of them together, put em on the internet and give them an extra player who counts down how long until the rocket spawns and anyone looks like a pro. About the rocket, why is an anti vehicle weapon on every MLG map when MLG players don’t use vehicles? Really, it’s obvious how bad they are.

having a 3kd

I don’t have one. I view games as the ultimate art form, the ultimate expression of control function beauty and emotion. Defining skill is low on my list of priorities, as I feel putting too much emphasis on skill is belittling to the games industry. I want my games to be equal to Shakespeare, not Candy Land.

(k/d+w/l+medals)

Well said my friend. God I just realised how old fashioned that sounded.

> MLG players are skilled, however I disagree with their style of play. MLG players rely on outnumbering their opponents and “map control” which is a polite way of saying spawn camping. I have beaten MLG pro players repeatadely thanks to the ability to dodge bullets in Halo 3. Sure they get sponsored. Hundreds of people beat MLG pro’s every day. Thousands of people are better than them. Hell, you might be. They have the right contacts in the real world. Odds are, their really not all that good, but a non gamer is going to think their brilliant, dump a team of them together, put em on the internet and give them an extra player who counts down how long until the rocket spawns and anyone looks like a pro. About the rocket, why is an anti vehicle weapon on every MLG map when MLG players don’t use vehicles? Really, it’s obvious how bad they are.

Wow. I love the part where you say that you have beaten the Pro-players multiple times. You seem to be confused, so perhaps you should lie down or go watch some gameplay. And, I mean confused in all aspects of that entire subject to the point where you ooze ignorance. It is so bad that I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading.

What can’t you believe, that the pros lose or that I can dodge bullets?

> What can’t you believe, that the pros lose or that I can dodge bullets?

Honestly are you trolling me? Am I being Punk’d? Where is Ashton, because that man just got me good. Unless you are being 100% serious- as then I am more lost than I was originally.

Alright, I don’t know what you mean when you say you can “dodge bullets.” The closest thing I can think of by that is the act of strafing, which, in the online Halo universe, is a rapid movement from side to side in order to try and avoid taking shots. And, if you are talking about strafing I highly doubt you know how to Break-Strafe(SK) or any other complicated joystick strafe.

I believe MLG Pro-players do lose. I lose and I was a semi-professional player, but I certainly don’t lose to players who are not good(This of course is only true if I have some teammates. I can’t be a lone-wolf and win every match if I have random people on my team.). You have this mindset that the people who attend events and prove themselves to be the best in America, yet alone the world, are terrible and hide behind…what do they hide behind as you haven’t actually made that too clear? You give so many reasons as to why they are bad, but none of them seem to be consistent or true. So something I don’t believe is that you have beaten “multiple players who are the best in the game.” Hell, it is hard enough to get matched up with specific people as it is, and many of the pro-players at that.

It is the same thing as saying that if you play basketball sometimes you and your friends could have taken on a NBA basketball team and lost solely because they just use their constant ball movement as a crutch and not because they are some of the best players of the sport.

You do realize people attend MLG tournaments across their country, right? Not on Xbox Live. There aren’t just people playing online against eachother being declared the best of the best.

Please stop pretending to know what you are talking about when it is painfully obvious you don’t.

> > (apologies to any MLG players here but the pro playhers really arn’t all that good)
>
> I stopped reading here. I’ve been a semi-professional class Halo player since Halo 2, I’ve been so close and yet so far. Would you care to explain to me how the people who have contracts and sponsorships with very well known companies aren’t that good? Correct me if I am wrong, but haven’t they proven themselves to be the best is the game?

>

You should take a gander at some of the other posts. I promise you’ll be surprised.

For me skill is if you have a K/D in the 1-2 range, but it’s not the best idea to listen to my opinion on skill, I think I have a .40 K/D in Halo 3.

> > MLG players are skilled, however I disagree with their style of play. MLG players rely on outnumbering their opponents and “map control” which is a polite way of saying spawn camping. I have beaten MLG pro players repeatadely thanks to the ability to dodge bullets in Halo 3. Sure they get sponsored. Hundreds of people beat MLG pro’s every day. Thousands of people are better than them. Hell, you might be. They have the right contacts in the real world. Odds are, their really not all that good, but a non gamer is going to think their brilliant, dump a team of them together, put em on the internet and give them an extra player who counts down how long until the rocket spawns and anyone looks like a pro. About the rocket, why is an anti vehicle weapon on every MLG map when MLG players don’t use vehicles? Really, it’s obvious how bad they are.
>
> Wow. I love the part where you say that you have beaten the Pro-players multiple times. You seem to be confused, so perhaps you should lie down or go watch some gameplay. And, I mean confused in all aspects of that entire subject to the point where you ooze ignorance. It is so bad that I honestly can’t believe what I’m reading.

Ka7aclysmiK, clearly Artemis has no idea what he is talking about, hell, i’m not sure he may be trolling.

But i played GOOFYY, Royal 2, and Arkanum, and im not sure who their friend was, and they beat us 5-0 in flag in 4 minutes. I did manage to go positive though :).

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=703111102&player=Not+A+Gardner

> Ka7aclysmiK, clearly Artemis has no idea what he is talking about, hell, i’m not sure he may be trolling.
>
> But i played GOOFYY, Royal 2, and Arkanum, and im not sure who their friend was, and they beat us 5-0 in flag in 4 minutes. I did manage to go positive though :).
>
> http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=703111102&player=Not+A+Gardner

Nice job, man. I’ve played some customs on my other account with some of the mainstage players, and ran into them on matchmaking as well. Those are always the best games.

Anyway, I plan on trying to attend some of the events for the rest of the season as I was in school and I didn’t want Halo to get in the way. I’m hoping I can make it top 8 or 16 for once. asjd;fkas;d

PSR = (((K+A)/D)*Win%)*125

The average player in Reach has a rating of 100 when using this…below 100 being being average and above 100 means above average.

OT: I think skill is mostly situational. I could go into MLG and find players that would work me in that playlist, and then play them in BTB and return the favor.

> […]To MLG, skill is when you can pin an enemy in their spawn point slaughtering an outnumbered and outgunned group of opponents who could quite easily dominate their cowardly opposition if it wern’t for the MLG players “skill”. […]
>
> Politely discuss.

So you speak for the entire MLG community? I mean, that’s what’s implied in the first sentence of this quote.

I’m finding it hard to understand what you actually want out of this thread. The title of the thread seems innocuous enough, and perhaps even interesting, but the way in which you’ve commenced this so-called discussion is hardly balanced or objective. It just appears as an emotional rant about how bad you think everyone else is. Even all the players who others consider ‘good’ are actually ‘bad’, according to you. If you want to actually discuss what defines ‘skill’ in Halo, by all means state your opinions, but try not to present them as infallible (not liable to error), as it doesn’t sit well with other contributors (as evidenced by Ka7aclysmiK’s responses).

In response to the actual title of this thread; I consider skill in Halo to be comprised of various elements including (but not limited to) map awareness, terrain awareness/control, ability to create situations of map control, clear/concise communication, power weapon/power up (advantages) awareness/control.

Individual skill (such as break strafing and good aim) definitely count for something, but I don’t consider them ‘game-changers’ in most scenarios.

In my opinion, Instinct won the most recent MLG tournament not just because they have some of the most experienced (and what I would call ‘skillful’) individual players on their team, but because this experience translated into well coordinated team play due to the factors I mentioned above.

Skill is the raw ability to outplay your opponents in terms of gunplay. Think: Halo 1 pistol. The ability to constantly pull off the minimum number of shots to kill someone and being able to dodge their bullets.

The ability to predict what your opponents will do, and rightly predict. Outplay them in a mind game also.

Know every part of the map, know the trick jumps and know what your opponent’s strategy is.

Skill is NOT, rushing power weapons so you can get easy kills, spawn camping, and constantly just sitting at choke points waiting for people to come by 24/7. That makes it a First Person Cowardice. FPC. Not a First Person Shooter.

i would define skill as the ability to enter a situation under-equiped and out-gunned, and still able to have a positive k/d.

example, killing a wraith with a mongose, or a banshee with a trip-mine (halo 3)

and if you dont think you can kill a banshee with a trip-mine then look at my halo 3 file share

blah blah blah Ignore me.

I’m too tired to write anything.

EDITED