What is your definition of camping?

To me camping isn’t just crouching in one area. It is sitting in a area waiting for players to arrive and killing them with no intentions of ever seeking the enemy out. Many of the players that claim to be awesome at reach sit behind walls and make sure they automatically get the first shot in every fight. I think if you even slow gameplay down due to your lack of movement it is camping. Somehow throughout time…or because of call of duty…campers or cheap players have regained respect. Crouching in one spot is idiotic. Yes you can easily take them out. The camping that is nearly impossible to beat “on reach” is the skillful camping. Campers have evolved like pokemon. People are obsessed with winning and will throw away pride in order to cover up their lack of skill with cheap tactics.

What do you guys think? I think camping has become an accepted tactic on reach. That annoys me alot

Funny Picture

Yeah, let’s blame smart players for not running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Jerks. Let’s also blame them for a map failure, since if someone’s camping, they’re doing so because they have no reason to go anywhere else, which is a map problem for not having a proper amount of attractions and deterrents.

camping is sitting still, alone, waiting for someone to come around the corner.

map control is having YOUR ENTIRE TEAM hold strategic positions and wait for the other team to come into sight so you can team shoot them. you’re team mates aren’t running around the map but they aren’t hiding.

if you’re hiding, and not to waiting for your shield to recharge, then you’re camping.

the only time sitting in one spot is acceptable for one person or a team is if their is a strong point that dominates the map or their is a weapon to fight for. By strong point I’m talking about something like the big sniper area on reflection. When people sit in one spot on zealot it is camping. There isn’t really a strong point on that map that would put the game in danger if the other team controlled it.

I’m inclined to agree with Trash on one point: The maps in Reach are practically built for this tactic. You can easily control an entire section of a map if your team is coordinated enough. Time the power weapons, and you’ve got yourself a nice little campground set up.

Arena-style maps like Midship and Lockout never had a lot of camping problems because the maps did not have any defined “Rooms” or “Areas”. The entire map was a battleground that was constantly shifting. Map design has a lot to do with whether players will be able to camp or not.

My definition of camping is when someone just waits and waits for someone to pass by while aiming in the same position for a long period of time, but I don’t think its camping when a team holds up in a certain area of the map for example a building/structure. Having control of the map is key to winning the battle.

> I’m inclined to agree with Trash on one point: The maps in Reach are practically built for this tactic. You can easily control an entire section of a map if your team is coordinated enough. Time the power weapons, and you’ve got yourself a nice little campground set up.
>
> Arena-style maps like Midship and Lockout never had a lot of camping problems because the maps did not have any defined “Rooms” or “Areas”. The entire map was a battleground that was constantly shifting. Map design has a lot to do with whether players will be able to camp or not.

I agree maps lead to camping. Most the maps on reach are garbage. But, I still don’t think the maps alone are responsible for people camping. That is like saying you became an alcoholic because you live next to a liquor store.

God I love when people whine about other people’s play styles. No one’s breaking any rules, they’re executing the game’s goal (get kills/points for your team without dying) in the most efficient way they know how. Blame the map/game for not giving them a reason to go anywhere.

> God I love when people whine about other people’s play styles. No one’s breaking any rules, they’re executing the game’s goal (get kills/points for your team without dying) in the most efficient way they know how. Blame the map/game for not giving them a reason to go anywhere.

I despise that attitude. I feel as if self respect and dignity shouldn’t be exchanged for wins

Crouching in some obscure corner away from the action

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_(video_gaming)

](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping_(video_gaming))

It is wikipedia but I feel like this is an accurate assessment

> > God I love when people whine about other people’s play styles. No one’s breaking any rules, they’re executing the game’s goal (get kills/points for your team without dying) in the most efficient way they know how. Blame the map/game for not giving them a reason to go anywhere.
>
> I despise that attitude. I feel as if self respect and dignity shouldn’t be exchanged for wins

While you may not like that attitude and neither do I, it is true that if the game does not give you a reason to move around the map and keep tabs on weapons, powerups and controlling the most advantageous area(s), you won’t.

That is why MLG gametypes are so far ahead in terms of competitive merit in comparison to Bungie’s gametypes. If you’re playing MLG and you camp or have someone on your team camping, you will lose unless the other team is incredibly bad.

MLG maps and gametypes promote map movement, teamwork and control (Although in Reach keeping control isn’t as easy or important with the implemention of sprint/evade) and Bungie’s have always been unbalanced, hectic and usually, fun, for the majority of players. Bungie didn’t really take into account what does or doesn’t slow down gameplay and cause it to be a campfest.

Competitively speaking in terms of gameplay, MLG>Bungie.

In terms of the fun factor, Bungie>MLG. Unless you view playing competitively as being fun, like I do.

Also, note: If you don’t like MLG that’s fine, I don’t care. Just using it as an example.

OT: Camping: Not moving about the map in search of other players. Instead, you lazily let them come to you, only to find out you suck and are unable to kill them anyway.

Sitting in one general area, not engaging the enemy, for extended periods of time. Waiting for the enemy to come to them. Just generally not playing LAHK A MAYUUN!

Building a tent in the forest and making a fire while making Smores.

But seriously camping is pretty much just sitting in the same spot all game with the expressed purpose of hiding from everyone. I know people throw the word “camper” around like candy but it’s not that big of a deal. 95% of people raging over “campers” are people who are actually raging over the fact that they died.

I personally see camping as sitting around the corner alone with a Shotgun or Energy Sword. However, the line between map control and camping can easily be skewed. For example, when me and one of friends gets Zealot on Team Doubles, we always hold one spot at the most opportune moments. There’s a corner I usually sit around with an Energy Sword, while my teammate lures the other team in so I can kill them instantly. Is this camping, since we’re technically not surprising them with it (they usually fall for it multiple times; it’s their fault that they don’t flank)? I personally wouldn’t call this as cheap as camping, as we’re clearly letting the enemy team know we’re there. However, that’s my opinion.

Another skewed scenario: There’s a corner on Condemned that I like to use to get a surprise jump on my enemies. However, I only do this when I have a team I’m communicating with to cover me and attract the opposing team, who usually comes in threes. I’ve gotten many a Triple Kill from this spot, though I typically only use it once per match. Is that camping, or is it a legitimate strategy? Again, there’s the deceit factor from my teammates and the fact that the enemies aren’t checking the corners; isn’t that their fault? Further, if I see three blips on my radar coming right at me, should I hide behind the corner and take them by surprise, gaining the edge, or (herpderp) reveal myself to them “head-on” so we can have an “honorable” fight? There are so many skewed, illogical lines on this issue that it’s hard to pick a side to support for me personally.

I also find, however, that there’s a very simple solution to camping that no one notices: don’t charge in if you’re getting killed in that spot. Simple as that. Either coordinate a flank with teammates or steer clear of that area period. Because this rather simple strategy is typically ignored, I can kind of sympathize with habitual campers. Why not take advantage of your opponent’s apparent lack of situational awareness? Because it’s “cheap”? Should we handicap ourselves so our opponent has a better chance of winning, thus being more “fair”?

The point I’m trying to make is that camping only works because there will always be people who will fall for it. For me, it’s common sense to check corners, and I don’t see why many people simply don’t. Skill and honor don’t all come down to out-DMRing an opponent, fairly letting them know that you’re there ahead of time, and thus giving up one of your situational advantages. I agree that the habitual camper line of thinking is ridiculous, but only because if everybody checked for campers like they should, it wouldn’t work. But I also find this extremist “if you’re standing in one spot for five seconds and your shields aren’t recharging, you’re bad” logic to be very ridiculous too. Both sides need to chill out in my opinion. Camping is camping and you’ll know it when you see it. Please stop trying to give it a hardline definition.

> The point I’m trying to make is that camping only works because there will always be people who will fall for it. For me, it’s common sense to check corners, and I don’t see why many people simply don’t. Skill and honor don’t all come down to out-DMRing an opponent, fairly letting them know that you’re there ahead of time, and thus giving up one of your situational advantages. I agree that the habitual camper line of thinking is ridiculous, but only because if everybody checked for campers like they should, it wouldn’t work. But I also find this extremist “if you’re standing in one spot for five seconds and your shields aren’t recharging, you’re bad” logic to be very ridiculous too. Both sides need to chill out in my opinion. Camping is camping and you’ll know it when you see it. Please stop trying to give it a hardline definition.

word.

I miss the old days of abilities you had to pick up. Anyone remember fighting over invisibility on Standoff? That’s my peeve with armor abilities, doesn’t promote map movement at all. Less reason to move around and less places to fight over:(

i <3 camping. with sniper and DMR

> God I love when people whine about other people’s play styles. No one’s breaking any rules, they’re executing the game’s goal (get kills/points for your team without dying) in the most efficient way they know how. Blame the map/game for not giving them a reason to go anywhere.

Ultimately, this topic is to each their own and i endorse that. The fact is Reach is not a game for people to think about anything besides winning and bringing the most skillful game they have every match they go into for multiplayer. It’s the reason I’ve stopped playing matchmaking without friends all together. The fact is, I play for fun. I plan on doing something stupid and getting a kill for it. Every match. But what I cannot stand, for the love of all that is in me, is a person that justifies sitting in a specific spot/area on a map for no other reason then all they care about is getting a first shot on an opponent coming from around the corner. Either get a reason to actually do this (maybe you’ve been Yoinked a lot and want to simply increase your assassination commedation) or whatever, but do NOT blame the creators of a map simply because that is the only way you know how to play. Most people don’t care to make a map of their own and coming from a guy that has watched, played, forged and ultimately loved Halo since the beginning: your nothing but a disgrace to those that have worked days, weeks, or months to bring you something enjoyable. There is multiple paths to every section, on every map. Whether or not you can use them effectively is a different story.

To my next point:

**Time Glitch:**I’m inclined to agree with Trash on one point: The maps in Reach are practically built for this tactic. You can easily control an entire section of a map if your team is coordinated enough. Time the power weapons, and you’ve got yourself a nice little campground set up.

Arena-style maps like Midship and Lockout never had a lot of camping problems because the maps did not have any defined “Rooms” or “Areas”. The entire map was a battleground that was constantly shifting. Map design has a lot to do with whether players will be able to camp or not.

I agree maps lead to camping. Most the maps on reach are garbage. But, I still don’t think the maps alone are responsible for people camping. That is like saying you became an alcoholic because you live next to a liquor store.

My response: Many people don’t like the way Reach maps layout simply because of choke points or because they can’t be gods in the game dude to a strategy they know. It’s one of the hardest changes to adapt to a new system, game, and ultimately gameplay experience. But you can’t give anyone else satisfaction simply because you can’t use whats been given to you efficiently. In the real world, that IS what is going to happen, and in any job or situation you go into, its your personal goal (hopefully, it is for me) to use whats given to use in the most efficient manner possible. Take all the Halo Lore: Spartans went through YEARS of non-stop trial-and-error scenarios in order to fully be masters of any battlefield and even then? They still died. In my personal experience, many games don’t incorporate the notion that the population playing them don’t have any real relation to the game or its setup, nor can its players fully adapt to anything totally new. It’s strange not any of the recent games (COD, Battlefield, Halo, etc.) can grasp this, but that’s why people like me have to tell you a simple, but very difficult truth: adapt or die. It’s that simple. We can’t create the games, we can only play them.

> My response: Many people don’t like the way Reach maps layout simply because of choke points or because they can’t be gods in the game dude to a strategy they know. It’s one of the hardest changes to adapt to a new system, game, and ultimately gameplay experience.

A good map has, among other things, a nice mix of sight lines which promote combat at all ranges relatively equally, with power positions distributed in a way that does not overly skew this balance. I find that this to be the most significant failing in most of Reach’s default maps.

For example, Boardwalk is dominated by long open sight lines to the point that a competent sniper can effectively bring a halt to map movement. The majority of Countdown is very close quarters, so much that possession of the sword and shotgun is almost always the deciding factor for victory. Sword Base as a whole has a reasonable mix of short/mid/long range sight lines, but the dominance of the area around the top of gold lift essentially reduces the map to another CQC brawl.

When maps lack combat variety in this way, it results in the majority of matches playing out in exactly the same way, which in turn causes the map to become dull and boring.

On a more subjective note, even the maps that aren’t Forge World gray-on-gray are rather aesthetically uninteresting, at least in my opinion. They consist mostly of flat textures and are 90% covered in 2-3 different colors throughout. To me, and I would imagine at least some others, this contributes to the maps seeming dull after a few plays.