What is up with the new helmets?

Halo while it has always been sci-fi it has been relatively hard sci-fi with Halo technology usually grounded in reality using some actual science, plausibility and scientific theories. Things usually have been practical and made sense.

So what is up with the new helmets in Halo 4?

Picture for reference

Ok with the 1st helmet…how are you supposed to see out of that? At least with the Gungnir helmet you could say the Spartan can see out of the small hole and a lot is done with computer and interfaces but with this new one for Halo 4…how is this practical? You surely wouldn’t be ale to see through it, and if sight is done with a computer(Completely because YOU CAN’T SEE THROUGH IT) then why is the visor shaped like that? Why have a visor? What purpose does it serve?

Why does the 2nd helmet have a third eye? For the Spartan’s nose? Why does their nose need to see? I don’t understand.

Why does the 3rd helmet have an extra bit of visor above the rest?

The 4th helmet DOESN’T EVEN HAVE A VISOR!

Sure they ‘look cool’ but how is the practical for Spartans? Didn’t 343i say they wanted to make Spartan armor seem more realistic and have every piece look like it’s there for a reason? That is why they changed John’s armor after all. So what is this?

Don’t tell me you’re making Halo a softer sci-fi 343i…

They could all come in helpful on the battlefield, but the one on the end doesn’t make sense. Why would Spartans want to have an animal-like design with teeth and all. What is this, like a psychological weapon against their enemies?

Plus, what’s with the giraffe eyes…?

EDIT: I guess the two in the middle would be a kind of marksman helmet? Like… what game was it…? Splintercell, maybe…?

> They could all come in helpful on the battlefield, but the one on the end doesn’t make sense. Why would Spartans want to have an animal-like design with teeth and all. What is this, like a psychological weapon against their enemies?
>
> Plus, what’s with the giraffe eyes…?

To be fair there was a Spartan with a skull carved into the visor of his helmet. I am pretty sure that would have looked scary to certain enemies.

Besides the Spartans already are a psychological weapon in a way. Why do you think the Covenant feared them so much?

Well, it will certainly be easier to compare the Spartans to the Power Rangers with the new helmet designs and paint schemes.

Ack.

> Well, it will certainly be easier to compare the Spartans to the Power Rangers with the new helmet designs and paint schemes.
>
> Ack.

Yeah :confused:

> They could all come in helpful on the battlefield, but the one on the end doesn’t make sense. Why would Spartans want to have an animal-like design with teeth and all. What is this, like a psychological weapon against their enemies?
>
> Plus, what’s with the giraffe eyes…?

The one on the end reminds me of Raiden from MGS4 and Rising. It is probably a camera-fed HUD inside and has an internal setup to protect from unnecessary battle-damage.

In the End, though, it really does feel less like halo, and more like Splintercell or StarWars…

> > They could all come in helpful on the battlefield, but the one on the end doesn’t make sense. Why would Spartans want to have an animal-like design with teeth and all. What is this, like a psychological weapon against their enemies?
> >
> > Plus, what’s with the giraffe eyes…?
>
> The one on the end reminds me of Raiden from MGS4 and Rising. It is probably a camera-fed HUD inside and has an internal setup to protect from unnecessary battle-damage.
>
> In the End, though, it really does feel less like halo, and more like Splintercell or StarWars…

Like GUNGNIR. Hold on, is this one the GUNGNIR helmet…? It would make sense to have two ‘eyes’ instead of one…

> > > They could all come in helpful on the battlefield, but the one on the end doesn’t make sense. Why would Spartans want to have an animal-like design with teeth and all. What is this, like a psychological weapon against their enemies?
> > >
> > > Plus, what’s with the giraffe eyes…?
> >
> > The one on the end reminds me of Raiden from MGS4 and Rising. It is probably a camera-fed HUD inside and has an internal setup to protect from unnecessary battle-damage.
> >
> > In the End, though, it really does feel less like halo, and more like Splintercell or StarWars…
>
> Like GUNGNIR. Hold on, is this one the GUNGNIR helmet…? It would make sense to have two ‘eyes’ instead of one…

Depending on the need of the helmet, yes one will do. The Hazop could possibly have 3 different lenses so that it can scan in much finer detail with 3 purposed lenses as opposed to 1 general lens that can do plenty but is still purposed.
And a single lens could be multi-lensed itself so that it can relay a 3-D image to the screen on the inside of the helm.

In reality, the GUNGNIR, Hazop and Venator helms are much more logical than the Mk.IV, V and VI helms, combat wise that is. Very well protected on the face, a shotgun or shrapnel won’t so easily penetrate those helmets, against a 7.62 NATO round, none would stand a chance.

It’s a great wonder to me why Emile wore an EVA helm instead of a CQB-type helm… Shotgun, knife-loving warrior and all.

The Locus helm seems that it may be the answer to my dislike of Emile’s choice of helm, it seems to be multi-sensored around the helmet and probably relays information on a screen similar to wearing an EVA helm.

However not everything is based in pure combat and sensors can be tricked, so relying purely on sensors instead of actual visual contact could prove a hindrance, so the choice is up to the player to decide how their Spartan looks.

Just putting it out there that we have only seen a few of the helmets available in Halo 4. We can be sure that many older helmets will be making a return appearance and that there are still many new ones to choose from. This is but just a sample.

It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield. I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.

> It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.

How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.

Flying Tigers
A10 Warthog

> > It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.
>
> How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.
>
> Flying Tigers
> A10 Warthog

It’s even on UAVs, lol. I gotta upload the picture… I work on the RQ7B Shadow and I just finished hand painting some shark teeth on it. Our next project… Pin-up girl.

> > > It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.
> >
> > How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.
> >
> > Flying Tigers
> > A10 Warthog
>
> It’s even on UAVs, lol. I gotta upload the picture… I work on the RQ7B Shadow and I just finished hand painting some shark teeth on it. Our next project… Pin-up girl.

Like this?

> > It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.
>
> How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.
>
> Flying Tigers
> A10 Warthog

That is completely different. Aircraft don’t really need to worry about camouflage but soldiers on the ground do. When was the last time you saw a soldiers wearing bright blue or yellow uniforms?

What if spartan paint is the same was the warthog? Or similar but better?

> > > It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.
> >
> > How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.
> >
> > Flying Tigers
> > A10 Warthog
>
> That is completely different. Aircraft don’t really need to worry about camouflage but soldiers on the ground do. When was the last time you saw a soldiers wearing bright blue or yellow uniforms?

That’s not completely different. Spartans are walking tanks, or as the Chief has been described as, an F15 fighter jet with legs. They’re all 7 feet tall or taller with half a ton of armor plating and energy shielding. Hiding like a traditional modern soldier is a little more difficult. The big gold faceplates they have aren’t exactly subtle either.

Blending in with trees and shrubs isn’t as important to the Spartans as a normal human soldier. Their gear is treated like a tank or fighter jet which can then be customized.

But if they have nano prismatic paint, they can hide their armour better!

> > > > It’s funny because despite the gameplay changes and what not I was planning on buying Halo 4. However these aesthetic changes bummed me out. Funny, guess I am more of a lore guy because like you OP, <mark>I can’t see how any of this fancy armour and colour schemes prove useful on a battlefield.</mark> I’ll still buy Halo 4 but this is my one gripe with it.
> > >
> > > How is painting teeth on an airplane useful while fighting? It isn’t but it’s cool. Customized paint schemes on military equipment is not new.
> > >
> > > Flying Tigers
> > > A10 Warthog
> >
> > That is completely different. Aircraft don’t really need to worry about camouflage but soldiers on the ground do. When was the last time you saw a soldiers wearing bright blue or yellow uniforms?
>
> That’s not completely different. Spartans are walking tanks, or as the Chief has been described as, an F15 fighter jet with legs. They’re all 7 feet tall or taller with half a ton of armor plating and energy shielding. Hiding like a traditional modern soldier is a little more difficult. The big gold faceplates they have aren’t exactly subtle either.
>
> Blending in with trees and shrubs isn’t as important to the Spartans as a normal human soldier. Their gear is treated like a tank or fighter jet which can then be customized.

Except Spartans are not invincible, as seen in the books they do commonly go on stealth missions where blending in to the shadows is important, especially the Spartan IIIs. Spartans can and do die from gunfire and do use tactics just as a normal marine would.

> Sure they ‘look cool’

do they?

i think they look horrible. too much anime-style for my taste, again.