What is the point in a progression system?

It doesn’t add anything to gameplay, and is just a number next to your name. Armor and weapon unlocks could be done with out it. A skill based ranking system atleast shows how good you are, not that you know how to boost in firefight.

Because the players who lose still get something, and never lose it.

There will be some kind of Skill-based system. We just don’t know anything about it yet.

To reward bad players.

To reward players with additional content to add incentive to keep coming back to the MP.

That’s the whole point… The real purpose of this thread is to bash on progression systems and talk about ranked. :stuck_out_tongue:

A rank system (in ranked playlists separated from Social) alongside a progression system would be awesome. Best of both worlds IMO.

Sorry but I want to be rewarded by just playing the game I paid for. Just cause I’m not “uber L337” or “mlg” doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to rank up. It’s more rewarding to constantly get something instead of nothing you do matters except for stats (K/D and W/L) that the majority of people don’t care about. 343i did right by going for the majority of players instead of a small section of the vocal minority. MLG should work around the game, not get one made for them while shafting noncompetitive players. So as far as I’m concerned 343i has done a great job with the progression system.

> Sorry but I want to be rewarded by just playing the game I paid for. Just cause I’m not “uber L337” or “mlg” doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to rank up. It’s more rewarding to constantly get something instead of nothing you do matters except for stats (K/D and W/L) that the majority of people don’t care about. 343i did right by going for the majority of players instead of a small section of the vocal minority. MLG should work around the game, not get one made for them while shafting noncompetitive players. So as far as I’m concerned 343i has done a great job with the progression system.

So shaft the vocal minority because there are less of us? Are we not all Halo fans? Can we all not have something?

Yeah, it’s not that hard. People who don’t care about how good they are at a video game deserve to be able to move up in “rank” just as much as anyone else.

It’s a game, after all. I don’t really have a preference. It not as if you lose anything by having a progression system, other than people in the lobby not knowing that you’re good because of your rank, as if anyone actually cared.

> > Sorry but I want to be rewarded by just playing the game I paid for. Just cause I’m not “uber L337” or “mlg” doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to rank up. It’s more rewarding to constantly get something instead of nothing you do matters except for stats (K/D and W/L) that the majority of people don’t care about. 343i did right by going for the majority of players instead of a small section of the vocal minority. MLG should work around the game, not get one made for them while shafting noncompetitive players. So as far as I’m concerned 343i has done a great job with the progression system.
>
> So shaft the vocal minority because there are less of us? Are we not all Halo fans? Can we all not have something?

Not at all, you have your playlists without the new features and there is a rank system in the game, just not revealed yet. It’s still a business after all, so you can’t complain when they want to make the most money possible out of the product they’re selling.

> > > Sorry but I want to be rewarded by just playing the game I paid for. Just cause I’m not “uber L337” or “mlg” doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to rank up. It’s more rewarding to constantly get something instead of nothing you do matters except for stats (K/D and W/L) that the majority of people don’t care about. 343i did right by going for the majority of players instead of a small section of the vocal minority. MLG should work around the game, not get one made for them while shafting noncompetitive players. So as far as I’m concerned 343i has done a great job with the progression system.
> >
> > So shaft the vocal minority because there are less of us? Are we not all Halo fans? Can we all not have something?
>
> Not at all, you have your playlists without the new features and there is a rank system in the game, just not revealed yet. It’s still a business after all, so you can’t complain when they want to make the most money possible out of the product they’re selling.

A ranking system we know absolutely nothing about. The game comes out in 24 days, and the only detail we have is that it is there.

Competitive players are getting the shaft. No flag dropping, the majority of the maps are BTB, etc.

^ post made me lol,
Yeah, okay, you’re getting shafted. right.
OT. I like the progression system, I guess, I don’t really give much of a crap whether it’s skill based or whatever, just let me play the game.

After how my last thread turned out, I feel I must preface this by saying I have nothing against the hardcore/competitive community. I just wish they would understand that they’re not the only players who matter, and demanding that the game be tailored specifically to their needs would essentially take the fun out of Halo for everyone else. It’s good to express criticisms and concerns, and if you want to play the game for the competition then more power to you… just don’t expect 343i to be able to please everyone.

Now, onto more pressing matters… The reason I like the Halo 4 progression system is because I, woe as I am to admit it, am an avid role-player when it comes to the games I play. To me the progression system (coupled with War Games and Spartan Ops) is highly immersive and character-driven, which I very much enjoy. I understand this probably doesn’t align at all with the competitive mindset, but it’s what I like and I’m happy it’s going in this direction. And again, this is just my opinion–I don’t expect everyone to feel the same way, nor am I going to try and impose it on others.

> Yeah, okay, you’re getting shafted. right.

-One matchmaking gametype.
-No news on ranking system.
-4 Maps.

Compared to what every single other community in Halo that has ever existed gets? Yes, it is getting the short end of the stick.

> There will be some kind of Skill-based system. We just don’t know anything about it yet.

Where has anyone from 343i said there is a ranking system? The only video I saw was where Frank said they are looking into it. This does not mean it will be in the game. I am sure a lot of auto makers say they are looking into hover cars but none exist.

Dear Microsoft.

Please make another sister 343 Studio and let’s call it 434, where Halo is split into two separate games. Same campaign, but on two separate titles. One side is dedicated to Halo 3 and only Halo 3. Anything not Halo 3 must be burned in fire. It’s for the 2007 Competitive Only group.

On the other Halo game it has AAs and everything Casuals want, Progressive ranking and no one goes away empty handed. JIP and whatever else you can throw in there.

Now everyone can be happy.

Amen.

> > > > Sorry but I want to be rewarded by just playing the game I paid for. Just cause I’m not “uber L337” or “mlg” doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be able to rank up. It’s more rewarding to constantly get something instead of nothing you do matters except for stats (K/D and W/L) that the majority of people don’t care about. 343i did right by going for the majority of players instead of a small section of the vocal minority. MLG should work around the game, not get one made for them while shafting noncompetitive players. So as far as I’m concerned 343i has done a great job with the progression system.
> > >
> > > So shaft the vocal minority because there are less of us? Are we not all Halo fans? Can we all not have something?
> >
> > Not at all, you have your playlists without the new features and there is a rank system in the game, just not revealed yet. It’s still a business after all, so you can’t complain when they want to make the most money possible out of the product they’re selling.
>
> A ranking system we know absolutely nothing about. The game comes out in 24 days, and the only detail we have is that it is there.
>
> Competitive players are getting the shaft. No flag dropping, the majority of the maps are BTB, etc.

Well I can’t really complain since all I play is pretty much BTB. You also have 3 forge worlds to create smaller maps at you hearts content. Though from what I’ve seen only around half the maps look like BTB maps while the other look fine for 4v4. The changes they have done like no flag dropping is fine. It encourages teamwork within randoms. If your playing competitively your already playing with teammates who know all about teamwork. People are stuck in the past, FPSs are evolving and staying stuck in the last decade is like becoming CoD: the same thing every single year. If you wanna compete and show your good at the game, relearn the mechanics and adapt to the changing environment. Doing the same thing over and over shows your good at only one thing, adapting to each game shows you have the skills to still be good even if there are changes to the game.

> > Yeah, okay, you’re getting shafted. right.
>
> -One matchmaking gametype.
> -No news on ranking system.
> -4 Maps.
>
> Compared to what every single other community in Halo that has ever existed gets? Yes, it is getting the short end of the stick.

What is “every other community” in Halo getting, SitriStahl? Tell me, I’m honestly curious how you seem to think you’re getting the short end of the stick that isn’t there.

> > > Yeah, okay, you’re getting shafted. right.
> >
> > -One matchmaking gametype.
> > -No news on ranking system.
> > -4 Maps.
> >
> > Compared to what every single other community in Halo that has ever existed gets? Yes, it is getting the short end of the stick.
>
> What is “every other community” in Halo getting, SitriStahl? Tell me, I’m honestly curious how you seem to think you’re getting the short end of the stick that isn’t there.

Grifball- An entirely retooled gametype.
Forgers- New maps and a few small improvements.
Casuals- Everything.
Campaign Fans- An episodic cooperative campaign with new missions every week.
BTB Players- The majority of the maps and the Mantis.
Infection Players- A modified Infection gametype/Playing as the Flood.
Book Fans- A story that ties in with the novels.

Need I go on?

> > Yeah, okay, you’re getting shafted. right.
>
> -One matchmaking gametype.
> -No news on ranking system.
>
> Compared to what every single other community in Halo that has ever existed gets? Yes, it is getting the short end of the stick.

Fixed. The smallest map in the game (Abandon) has twice the playable space that Guardian had, and Guardian was a mid-sized map, not small. As far as I’m concerned all 4v4, 2v2, and FFA gametypes are going to be totally reliant on Forge maps. They say they put sprint in the game to speed it up (it does not), but then they make all of the maps 30% bigger and slow everything right back down. All the proof I need of this is the MLG videos from E3, every single match took 10 minutes or longer to complete, which is an absurd amount of time for 4v4 matches.

wasn’t the military ranks good 343 ?

why you went the other shooters route by having prestiges it’s ridiculous