What is the human currency in Halo?

In Karen Traviss’ Glasslands, Parangosky says “Billions of dollars of UNSC equipment.”
In Contact Harvest, I believe it’s Sergeant Johnson who buys drinks for credits.
Not to mention Reach’s credit system.

So which currency does humanity use in the universe. And, if it has been mentioned, what currency do the Covenant species use?

Humans use credits.

Humans use credits, but I once heard that the Covenant use a barter system. Although I haven’t seen anything official on it.

Humans use credits, here is the only two pics I can actually get of Human Currency. Thanks to ODST.
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102995884
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102995824

It’s credits, or “cR”. Glasslands is filled with oversights like that.

Credits will do fine.

By the sounds of things though, even though Dollar’s isn’t used anymore, the word dollars stuck anyway.
Halo 3:ODST’s “Your Tax dollars at work”
And your example of Glasslands, Parangosky says “Billions of dollars of UNSC equipment.”
Just shows that, words stick, no matter what currency it is.

Its also possible that Parangosky went though a Currency change. And just stuck with saying dollars. This doesnt explain Halo 3:ODST’s one though.

If I’m right toasters are the current currency in 2557

It is possible that “Dollars” are the official currency of Earth and “Credits” is a system developed for Outer Colonies?

> By the sounds of things though, even though Dollar’s isn’t used anymore, the word dollars stuck anyway.
> Halo 3:ODST’s “Your Tax dollars at work”
> And your example of Glasslands, Parangosky says “Billions of dollars of UNSC equipment.”
> Just shows that, words stick, no matter what currency it is.
>
> Its also possible that Parangosky went though a Currency change. And just stuck with saying dollars. This doesnt explain Halo 3:ODST’s one though.

I’m more disappointed that taxation still exists by 2552.

cR is a mislabeling of Halo’s first use of credits in that Halo 2 Bungie article they did on the Civilian Warthog. I dislike the cR way of spelling it.

I can say confidently that if you want to be realistic about it, even IF the government issues a currency (say “credits”) doesn’t mean other currencies or means of exchange won’t be used…

In other words, even if they used the word “dollar” in some circumstances “credit” it a) might be consistent and b) even if it’s not, doesn’t matter much at all to the story.

Also, the word “dollar” has a quite interesting origin. IIRC, it’s origin comes from a certain Spanish silver coin renowned for it’s fineness, and the word (again IIRC, since I’m not gonna go looking all this up to verify) “Thela” or “Thula” eventually tranformed into dollar, which become a word meaning a unit of silver or gold and eventually over a couple hundred more years, specific currencies.

TL;DR

The word dollar has expanded it’s meaning in the last few hundred years (in the real world) and I don’t see why it wouldn’t continue to change in meaning in the future.

Given that Parangosky is a little on the old side, she may prefer to use better-aged terms than credit. As well, it is never mentioned what her background is so she may well have come from a colony or country on Earth that uses/used dollars rather than credits.

As for the covenant, I believe that since they’re just one big body that they just use a barter system to keep economical problems to a minimum. After all, how would they build their ultra-massive mega-fleets if they had to pay for every single ship they wanted? It makes more sense that way, to me at least.

> 2533274856610649;9:
> It is possible that “Dollars” are the official currency of Earth and “Credits” is a system developed for Outer Colonies?

Now that makes a bit of sense. "cR’ as a monetary system for the UEG and her Colonies, accepted throughout known Human space, based on exchange rates with leftover local currencies of a given planet. SO one might still spend dollars on Earth, or exchange them for Credits for business on a different colony (or to be again exchanged from Credits to some other local currency). Such a system would seemingly fit with the complicated nature of a multi-planet political entity encompassing a potentially broad spectrum of histories and cultures.

Of course, it could just be a colloquial term as well.

It could be that Earth still uses a dollar coin system, but universally, credits are accepted.

> 2533274906306948;15:
> > 2533274856610649;9:
> > It is possible that “Dollars” are the official currency of Earth and “Credits” is a system developed for Outer Colonies?
>
> Now that makes a bit of sense. "cR’ as a monetary system for the UEG and her Colonies, accepted throughout known Human space, based on exchange rates with leftover local currencies of a given planet. SO one might still spend dollars on Earth, or exchange them for Credits for business on a different colony (or to be again exchanged from Credits to some other local currency). Such a system would seemingly fit with the complicated nature of a multi-planet political entity encompassing a potentially broad spectrum of histories and cultures.
>
> Of course, it could just be a colloquial term as well.

A single currency throughout human controlled space wouldn’t really be feasible. The “Earth” dollar could function much as the U.S. dollar, the standard for which other planetary credit systems buy into and adjust their inflation against. The insurrectionist movement no doubt would have wanted to move away from the UEG currency (as most independence movements usually end up doing).

But to bring the conversation back to the original topic ( a convo 7 years in the making lol), its probably just an error on the part of the author. When the expanded universe reaches so many hands a little slip up like this is sure to be expected.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Credits

The UEG (United Earth Government) use credits.

REQ points?