What is everyones ideal of being a "skilled" player?

Just curious…All this about being a “hardcore/skilled gamer” and a “casual gamer”.
Example: Is it taking headshots from across the map make one a “skilled player”? Or is working as a group w/ the headsets as a unit.
I have played all Halo since release of xbox and Im just curious what aspects of gameplay make people consider themselves a skilled/ hardcore gamer.

Someone who’se capable of killing me with the entire weapon and ability arsenal.

I’ve seen some try to define those that don’t play in competitive playlists as casual gamers.

Understanding the game and performing well by utilizing tactics such map control, team shooting, using power weapons etc

being able to help the team
can get a kill with most weapons
plays for the objective

Skilled Vs Knowledgable…

A skilled player can out shoot/kill someone at will. Accuracy in shooting and a hugely positive K/D reflect skill.

Whereas being knowledgable in the game can help, it doesn’t guarantee you’ll be skilled.

To be knowledgable of the game (or “good at the game”) you should:
• know callouts and verbalize them during gameplay.
• know which weapons spawn where and how often the spawn. At the least the power weapons.
• know the general layout of the map as to be able to help in map control
• must be willing to participate in teamwork in cases were K/D may suffer, but for the good of the team

Skill can override these. I’ve seen players who don’t know a map all that well just wipe clean the opposing team because they are skilled with shooting accuracy.

It’s those players who demonstrate both skill and knowledge that are the insanely great players.

I’m an extremely knowledgable player and an above average skill player, but not insanely skilled.

I have to counter my skill with knowledge and be able to back up teammates if possible, or know when to run an objective. For example last night my gaming group and I were playing against a very skilled team. Assault on Wayont. I had to read when they were going to attack so that I knew when we had the best chance of arming our bomb in their base. The other team went a little better than us in kills, but because they were not as knowledgeable about tactics we were easily able to defend our base. Though we ended up in a tie, our team did manage to arm the bomb, though the other team defused it. The opposing team didn’t arm once.

It was a close game. Depending on what you would call a win, the other team won in skill, we won in tactic (knowledge), so the game ended up in a draw.

I’d like to say to myself that I am good at most things in Halo, but not killing.Many times it’s impossible for me to get a headshot and lose many duels because of this.Like others, I counter this with knowledge.I read halopedia whenever I want more information and tactics.To say, I concentrate more on glitching and map exploiting than training my aim and similar stuff.On the other hand, I have friends that are overall more skilled than me but they don’t know as many tricks, so they play better with the normal tactics they know.But I gladly share any new intel I have about gameplay with them.Yet I am always one step/kill behind them when it comes to a serious match.That’s why I like more to play cooperatively and show everyone glitches and easter eggs.

I define skill as one’s ability to win.

You have 2 types of skilled players.

1. Those that know the game inside and out. Its not that they can use everything against you to kill you, its that there is always a way for them to defeat you using the sandbox and game-mechanics.
    Be it glitch or intentional, they always have a way because they love to mix it up.
    If anything, they`re the most situationally prepared.
    Definitely not always the most accurate of shooters, but they can rain fire upon you from 3 places at once.

2. Those that can use upper echelon tactics near-exclusively. They use glitches too, but their primary focus is on domination over variation.
    Usually the most accurate shooters in the group.

Now attitude, that`s different.

A nOOb will tell you to play the sequel like the prequel. And if its not working, its the games fault. **Stop having fun guys** feel that if youre not playing like them then youre playing wrong. And of course if youre not playing right, youre not having as much fun as them so you should just stop. A **Scrub** will remove anything they dont like. I don`t mean by having a preference that it makes you a scrub. I mean that AL MUST DIE is a scrub ideal. Removing Jetpack before allowing it to mingle with Evade is also a scrub ideal. Balancing for ideal and Scrubbing are different but oh so similar.
A God Modder is a player so set on defining their skill-sets that they outright seek the nerfing or scrubbing of other skill sets.

If you have any of those 4 attitudes off a leash, WOW do things get heated.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Id say casual players are people who dont care if they win or loss. As for skilled. someone whos really good at the games rules. For example anyone good at pulling of headshots or someone really good at throwing nades to make a cone kill an entire team or something like that.

There are three different kind of skilled players:

There are smart players. Usually don’t go the most positive, but they have great abilities to help the team and position well. They often are great objective players.

Then there are skilled slayers. Tend to have tremendous 1v1 ability. Usually go the most positive on the team. Generally a good sniper, although not always.

Then there are the MLG DC 2010 Neighbors, the kind that go the most positive and have the most objective time in the tournament.

-sorry for the MLG nerd-bomb at the end, but I just couldn’t resist.

Using hardcore and skilled as synonyms is just asking for confused and misunderstand responses. You may want to check out this thread as it has some concrete definitions for the terms.

OT: Skill is very relative. Many of my friends consider my skill level “godly” while I’m sure the 1% Onyx crowd consider me a “BK”. Just like how some people consider a 50 insane, and other’s claim it as a prerequisite to even be considered good.

It’s similar to comparing driving skills. Would you consider yourself to be a good driver? I sure consider myself an exceptional driver, but when comparing myself to a professional race driver, I would consider my skills terrible. That thread also talks a little bit about this as well.

With the kinds of players the forums are mostly made up of, I think someone with the relative skills of Mid-Onyx in Arena or 47+ in H3, or 2.0+ Reach K/D (Social) is kind of the standard of the higher tier of players.

Also there are many skills in Halo, you can have amazing 1v1 or aiming skills but terrible teamwork. Skill is kind of the sum of everything IMO. Although, having exceptional aim and proficient teamwork tends to be the standard to attain the numbers listed above as, for most players. aiming skills are learned before decision making and teamwork.

> Someone who’se capable of killing me with the entire weapon and ability arsenal.

quality over quantity IMO.

There are many types/prerequisites of/for skilled players.

The one I am most impressed with are the players with godly intuition. You know the players that know what/where your gonna go or do before you even do. That kinda skill cannot be taught and is very impressive to me.

If they kill more than they are killed using any and all means to do so, this person not only has at least some skill, they also have the correct morals for the job =)

A skilled player for me is one who can kill any one with any weapon. ANY. Skilled players are the ones who can get lots of kills by just using a weak weopon like the magnum. Well thats my idea, whats yours

I have respect for the Ground Pounder type Players. Fighting one on one in an engagement is one thing; but having the sense to survive in a heated front line combat area is a different matter. Especially if it is an advancing offensive front.

The bold like that are my ideal of a skilled player. The ones who are able to fight front line on defense/offense dealing with multiple inbound players; rather than the people who charge blindly.

Overall though, there are many, many, many preresiquites towards a skilled player. You could have a guy who is an Amazing Driver, Seeing his Gunner through engagements against multiple Infantry, Wraiths(being close enough in a warthog turret to reach out and touch the wing is hectic) but stats wouldn’t necessarily show it.

well its hard to deifine sometimes but i will give you my opinion.
Im not bad at halo, i can lose yes and i can be beat but i will put up a good fight.
I was ranked #1 for anniversary squad in november according to halotracker and i am ranked 34 in squad and have a 83% win/loss ratio. Im not the best but atleast you know im not a kid that cant pull his weight.

1.Team work,call everything out, try to have a minimum of 2 people shooting per encounter.
2.Be aware at all times if you are alone then you are in the wrong place, you need your team, if you can out dmr someone it won’t make much difference becuase you will be one shot or 2 shot and someone can easily clean you up from the other team.
3. Someone that times weapons is always needed in a team, getting those power weapons is an advantage.
4. Knowing your skills, if you are not a good sniper give the sniper to the sniper in your squad, i haven’t shot a sniper in weeks becuase i give it to my sniper in the team becuase he knows how to snipe better than me.
5. Helping your team with coordinated assaults, when one member turns the corner to take a challenge although it may have been a mistake you must push ahead with him so he won’t get railed and the two of you can atleast team shot.
6. Someone who doesn’t chase! If you land 2 or 3 shots on someone and they run let them go, if your team is set up to have a good view of whats going on he will not go far.
7. Strafing, not much to say other than try not to walk in a straight line when you shoot, its harder to kill a moving target. I don’t practice strafing for hours becuase i focus more on team shot.
8. Play relaxed, If a team is getting frustrated try to calm them down and try to get focus.
9. A person that knows where they are at can run the map with ease, now you can go ahead and think about that “know where you are at”.

Im not a pro but when i follow these tips they help me pull through a hairy situation.

> You have 2 types of skilled players.
>
> 1) Those that know the game inside and out. Its not that they can use everything against you to kill you, its that there is always a way for them to defeat you using the sandbox and game-mechanics.
> Be it glitch or intentional, they always have a way because they love to mix it up.
> If anything, they`re the most situationally prepared.

Definitely not always the most accurate of shooters, but they can rain fire upon you from 3 places at once.

1. Those that can use upper echelon tactics near-exclusively. They use glitches too, but their primary focus is on domination over variation.
    Usually the most accurate shooters in the group.

Now attitude, thats different. > > A **nOOb** will tell you to play the sequel like the prequel. And if its not working, its the games fault.
Stop having fun guys feel that if youre not playing like them then youre playing wrong. And of course if youre not playing right, youre not having as much fun as them so you should just stop.
A Scrub will remove anything they dont like. I dont mean by having a preference that it makes you a scrub. I mean that AL MUST DIE is a scrub ideal. Removing Jetpack before allowing it to mingle with Evade is also a scrub ideal. Balancing for ideal and Scrubbing are different but oh so similar.
> A God Modder is a player so set on defining their skill-sets that they outright seek the nerfing or scrubbing of other skill sets.
>
> If you have any of those 4 attitudes off a leash, WOW do things get heated.

See if I posted something like that but from the point of view of a “Skilled/hardcore/competitive/tryhard/whatever” player, I’d get banned for flaming.

That is all. I’m leaving this thread.

> well its hard to deifine sometimes but i will give you my opinion.
> Im not bad at halo, i can lose yes and i can be beat but i will put up a good fight.
> I was ranked #1 for anniversary squad in november according to halotracker and i am ranked 34 in squad and have a 83% win/loss ratio. Im not the best but atleast you know im not a kid that cant pull his weight.
>
> 1.Team work,call everything out, try to have a minimum of 2 people shooting per encounter.
> 2.Be aware at all times if you are alone then you are in the wrong place, you need your team, if you can out dmr someone it won’t make much difference becuase you will be one shot or 2 shot and someone can easily clean you up from the other team.
> 3. Someone that times weapons is always needed in a team, getting those power weapons is an advantage.
> 4. Knowing your skills, if you are not a good sniper give the sniper to the sniper in your squad, i haven’t shot a sniper in weeks becuase i give it to my sniper in the team becuase he knows how to snipe better than me.
> 5. Helping your team with coordinated assaults, when one member turns the corner to take a challenge although it may have been a mistake you must push ahead with him so he won’t get railed and the two of you can atleast team shot.
> 6. Someone who doesn’t chase! If you land 2 or 3 shots on someone and they run let them go, if your team is set up to have a good view of whats going on he will not go far.
> 7. Strafing, not much to say other than try not to walk in a straight line when you shoot, its harder to kill a moving target. I don’t practice strafing for hours becuase i focus more on team shot.
> 8. Play relaxed, If a team is getting frustrated try to calm them down and try to get focus.
> 9. A person that knows where they are at can run the map with ease, now you can go ahead and think about that “know where you are at”.
>
> Im not a pro but when i follow these tips they help me pull through a hairy situation.

Very true, people don’t use common sense in games anymore, but those people that do can do wonders.