What is competitive?

Why do I feel like every time someone says “competitive” they really mean “I’m mad because my friends and I can’t beat teams 50-7 every time we get in a match”?

Exactly the opposite. Are you actually that mentally impaired?

Competitive players want to win. They also want fair games. They want to be matched according to skill, not chance.

This is not too much to ask for.

> Exactly the opposite. Are you actually that mentally impaired?
>
> Competitive players want to win. They also want fair games. They want to be matched according to skill, not chance.
>
> This is not too much to ask for.

That’s everything your getting with halo 4 aren’t you meant to be arguing for it to be visible?

an addition to competative gaming is putting something on the line, in halo 3’s case it was your rank. if you win you gain something, if you lose you lose something. this created incentive to try your hardest, to invoke teamwork however you could, and most of all to win! invisible ranking, there is no incentive to win or try. i can sit in the corner and eat a sandwich because there is nothing on the line. Visible ranking also give you something to strive for, a motivation to get better at the game and also give you a gauge to measure your skill.

> > Exactly the opposite. Are you actually that mentally impaired?
> >
> > Competitive players want to win. They also want fair games. They want to be matched according to skill, not chance.
> >
> > This is not too much to ask for.
>
> That’s everything your getting with halo 4 aren’t you meant to be arguing for it to be visible?

Oh. My. Gosh. I really have to spell this out in every single thread I visit?

Reach has an invisible trueskill system. It places people according to a skill-based rank. However, the system sucks. I am constantly stuck with terrible teammates and opponents, and my K/D should probably not be as high as it is right now.

Having an invisible trueskill causes doubts as to whether it is working, and 343i can just sit there, like Bungie did, and say, “Yea, it’s working. Don’t worry.”

In addition, just as you all want progression ranks to reward your time played, we want skill ranks to reward how good we’ve performed. It’s really a simple concept to grasp.

> Exactly the opposite. Are you actually that mentally impaired?
>
> Competitive players want to win. They also want fair games. They want to be matched according to skill, not chance.
>
>
> Oh. My. Gosh. I really have to spell this out in every single thread I visit?

The way you said it yes because your response wasn’t clear in this thread.

> Having an invisible trueskill causes doubts as to whether it is working, and 343i can just sit there, like Bungie did, and say, “Yea, it’s working. Don’t worry.”

Given that they are relying solely on this and without playing it I would argue with the opinion that it was a much better and working system than the reach invis rankings.