What is "bloom"?

I was watching FaZe Kampy on Youtube just now and saw a video posted
4 years ago mentioning “no bloom” feature in Halo Reach?

I looked it up and all I could find was stuff on precision weapons and pacing your shots.

Can someone who knows explain? I’m just curious, maybe it’ll help me play better.

Thanks!

You’ll notice in Halo Reach, when you fire a precision weapon, mostly the DMR, that the reticule will expand and become larger with every shot you take in quick succession. This means that firing too quickly will cause your shots to be very inaccurate. That is what reticule bloom is. If you want to get better with the DMR, it’s important that you understand how to pace your shot so that you can control the reticule.
The MLG playlist does not have bloom.

bloom is the decreasing accuracy of the weapons as you shoot them faster. The targeting sights expand to show it. Basically your shots have a chance to hit anywhere inside the targeting sight so when it is bigger you have less control over where the bullets go. In the standard playlist it is set to normal, in the TU playlist it is reduced a lot. 343 nerfed bloom because “pro” players did not like the randomness. If two players went up against each other, there was a chance that a player that did not control or aim shots at all could win because of lucky bullets, while someone that took time and aimed well might not win.

> 2533274856503254;2:
> You’ll notice in Halo Reach, when you fire a precision weapon, mostly the DMR, that the reticule will expand and become larger with every shot you take in quick succession. This means that firing too quickly will cause your shots to be very inaccurate. That is what reticule bloom is. If you want to get better with the DMR, it’s important that you understand how to pace your shot so that you can control the reticule.
> The MLG playlist does not have bloom.

> 2533274849645270;3:
> bloom is the decreasing accuracy of the weapons as you shoot them faster. The targeting sights expand to show it. Basically your shots have a chance to hit anywhere inside the targeting sight so when it is bigger you have less control over where the bullets go. In the standard playlist it is set to normal, in the TU playlist it is reduced a lot. 343 nerfed bloom because “pro” players did not like the randomness. If two players went up against each other, there was a chance that a player that did not control or aim shots at all could win because of lucky bullets, while someone that took time and aimed well might not win.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn’t sure what bloom was either.

> 2533274856503254;2:
> You’ll notice in Halo Reach, when you fire a precision weapon, mostly the DMR, that the reticule will expand and become larger with every shot you take in quick succession. This means that firing too quickly will cause your shots to be very inaccurate. That is what reticule bloom is. If you want to get better with the DMR, it’s important that you understand how to pace your shot so that you can control the reticule.
> The MLG playlist does not have bloom.

Wait, so mlg turns off bloom? AWESOME!!!