What Infinite should Avoid

So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.

• Husky Raid - avoid Partnership with Fortnite - try not to launch too much content at once, and vice versa. - Don’t stray away from the plot line - Stay original - launch DLCs at a steady rate - don’t make the player feel like they have to pay money on the game, but still make it a small option, but not like H5s micro transactions. - don’t crowd the game with every single species and faction there was in the previous games - Avoid advertisement of the battle pass, if their is one. cough Fortnite season 2 cough - allow us to customize our load out, but not like H4, like your still forced to use the starting guns of slayer, but you can choose which variant. - Don’t re-use plot linesthats about all I could think of!

> 2535422817021596;1:
> So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.
>
>
> - avoid Partnership with Fortnite

Fortnite is one of the best ways to promote a product to gamers. If Microsoft were smart, theyd spend however many millions it takes to form a paid partnership.

I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?

> 2533274866906624;3:
> I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?

Same way Bungie has with Destiny. Continual expansions that are more akin to sequels than expansions.

That’s what I am assuming, all while being paid for by battle passes, etc. I would enjoy extra story content, though.

> 2533274866906624;3:
> I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?

Well, they’re probably going to do something like WoW or Minecraft, because those games have had a steady fanbase for several years

No partnership with Fortnite will make for a great game

> 2535464705123844;7:
> No partnership with Fortnite will make for a great game

I think Halo should and could stand on its own two feet. Im fine with it as long as fortnite stuff isnt popping up in the halo game itself.

> 2535428777172366;6:
> > 2533274866906624;3:
> > I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?
>
> Well, they’re probably going to do something like WoW or Minecraft, because those games have had a steady fanbase for several years

The question is can Halo maintain the population for ten years, even with dlc, etc.?

> 2533274927740213;4:
> > 2533274866906624;3:
> > I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?
>
> Same way Bungie has with Destiny. Continual expansions that are more akin to sequels than expansions.

Well bungie said that about Destiny, then 3 years later they brought out Destiny 2. Destiny franchise is still popular, but no where near what it was. Destiny 3 will be released within 3 years I’m betting.

I’m with CORRuPTT on this. I’m VERY skeptical of this 10 year plan thing and I also think it’s pretty stupid to come out and say this. 343I Said they would do something similar to this with Spartan offs and Halo 4 and look how that turned out… The majority of people only want to play a game for so long, then they want things updated. Graphics, maybe the game mechanics and so on. You can’t do this without making a new game. They’re not going change game mechanics in a game that’s been out for x time. They risk alienating there fan base for that game.

Very few games can last a decade or more and still be popular. I don’t know, I’ve been in the gaming world a long time, since handhelds, commodore and Atari. I’ve heard and seen a lot of stuff over the years, and in my opinion, the only and I mean the ONLY way this plan makes any sense is if Halo Infinite breaks sales records and is making money hand over fist or something… otherwise it doesn’t at all.

> 2535413438704827;2:
> > 2535422817021596;1:
> > So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.
> >
> >
> > - avoid Partnership with Fortnite
>
> Fortnite is one of the best ways to promote a product to gamers. If Microsoft were smart, theyd spend however many millions it takes to form a paid partnership.

That goes both ways. Halo in Fortnite, but also Fortnite in halo.

Another thing Halo Infinite should avoid is having the T-Rating. It should have the M-Rating instead just like what Halo 1-4 have.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> avoid Partnership with Fortnite

Cross promotions make sense. Besides, Fortnite kids have to grow up and start playing real games someday :slight_smile:

> 2535422817021596;1:
> try not to launch too much content at once, and vice versa.

They need to launch with all the components intact; campaign, multiplayer, and forge… with a reasonable amount of content for each.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> Don’t stray away from the plot line

I’m hoping for two types of campaign DLC; the central plot line which will come out, say, yearly… and then small sub-missions more regularly eg. quarterly (which can vary from the plot line to their hearts content). The side stuff doesn’t even need to be the Chief!

> 2535422817021596;1:
> Stay original

What is original anymore? The gameplay mechanics need to be set up to allow experiments (such as the grappling hook). That way things can be added, modified, and (if needed) removed without compromising the core mechanics. Hopefully Forge takes the next step and allows the community to experiment - and from there 343 can see what direction to take the main game.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> launch DLCs at a steady rate

That is hopefully the plan with the 10 year service.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> don’t make the player feel like they have to pay money on the game, but still make it a small option, but not like H5s micro transactions.

Halo will need microtransactions. DLC takes time and money to produce. Multiplayer servers are not cheap. Tournaments will need funding.

I have no problem with having lots of MTX - as long as they are mainly cosmetic and don’t give you an advantage on the field. If people are happy to pay for furry dice to hang off their assault rifle - all power to them.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> don’t crowd the game with every single species and faction there was in the previous games

I agree. Species and factions should ebb and flow to fit the story narrative.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> Avoid advertisement of the battle pass, if their is one. cough Fortnite season 2 cough

Battle passes, like microtransactions, are inevitable. If they do have one… they will need to advertise.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> allow us to customize our load out, but not like H4, like your still forced to use the starting guns of slayer, but you can choose which variant.

No problem with mixing up the load outs for games… but every player should have an equal start.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> Don’t re-use plot lines

Unless it’s relevant to the story at hand, or done cleverly to mix things up a bit going forward. What would be cool at some stage is to be able to redo classic levels from previous games rebuilt in Halo Infinite.

> 2535422817021596;11:
> > 2535413438704827;2:
> > > 2535422817021596;1:
> > > So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.
> > >
> > >
> > > - avoid Partnership with Fortnite
> >
> > Fortnite is one of the best ways to promote a product to gamers. If Microsoft were smart, theyd spend however many millions it takes to form a paid partnership.
>
> That goes both ways. Halo in Fortnite, but also Fortnite in halo.

What are you worried about, a fortnite BR skin?

> 2533274815533909;10:
> > 2533274927740213;4:
> > > 2533274866906624;3:
> > > I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?
> >
> > Same way Bungie has with Destiny. Continual expansions that are more akin to sequels than expansions.
>
> Well bungie said that about Destiny, then 3 years later they brought out Destiny 2. Destiny franchise is still popular, but no where near what it was. Destiny 3 will be released within 3 years I’m betting.

Destiny 2 came out because Activision pushed for sequels and a series. Bungie has been fairly open about this, not to mention many are regarding Dying Light as Destiny 3 in a sense, but that’s mostly semantics.

> Very few games can last a decade or more and still be popular.

You’re not wrong with this statement, but the ones that do last that long are powerhouse franchises (WoW, CoD). I believe that Halo is easily in that same category at least regarding name recognition. Make the game fun and I don’t see a problem with a 10 year plan.

> 2535422817021596;1:
> So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.
>
>
> - avoid Partnership with Fortnite - try not to launch too much content at once, and vice versa. - Don’t stray away from the plot line - Stay original - launch DLCs at a steady rate - don’t make the player feel like they have to pay money on the game, but still make it a small option, but not like H5s micro transactions. - don’t crowd the game with every single species and faction there was in the previous games - Avoid advertisement of the battle pass, if their is one. cough Fortnite season 2 cough - allow us to customize our load out, but not like H4, like your still forced to use the starting guns of slayer, but you can choose which variant. - Don’t re-use plot linesthats about all I could think of!

i’d say your #1 would help Halo reach (pun intended) a larger audience. i’d say Infinite needs to stray away from annoying spartan abilities, and not updating the game regularly with new DLCs (like with H5)

> 2535413438704827;14:
> > 2535422817021596;11:
> > > 2535413438704827;2:
> > > > 2535422817021596;1:
> > > > So, I thought about it, and there are a lot of sinkholes that infinite could fall into! If you think about it, there are A LOT of ways a 10 year game could go wrong. So, I compiled a list of everything Infinite should avoid.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > - avoid Partnership with Fortnite
> > >
> > > Fortnite is one of the best ways to promote a product to gamers. If Microsoft were smart, theyd spend however many millions it takes to form a paid partnership.
> >
> > That goes both ways. Halo in Fortnite, but also Fortnite in halo.
>
> What are you worried about, a fortnite BR skin?

Yes, a llama skin in halo.

> 2533274866906624;3:

I doubt it’ll be so easy, and I see someone mentioned destiny but that franchise has been criticized multiple times for content droughts and very underwhelming content when it does come out.

The biggest thing they can do is be vocal on their updates and the progress on the future content they’ll be adding, then they also have to justify it. Halo 5 re-added stuff the was in previous games, I don’t see that flying in infinite if that’s what their dlcs will be.

My own perspective on the ten year plan: I don’t even think it’ll stay to just one game, I expect them to do another game or 2 during it honestly because limitations will come as infinite ages.

> 2533274866906624;9:
> > 2535428777172366;6:
> > > 2533274866906624;3:
> > > I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?
> >
> > Well, they’re probably going to do something like WoW or Minecraft, because those games have had a steady fanbase for several years
>
> The question is can Halo maintain the population for ten years, even with dlc, etc.?

Halo 3 and Halo: Reach still have players.

> 2533274809226598;19:
> > 2533274866906624;9:
> > > 2535428777172366;6:
> > > > 2533274866906624;3:
> > > > I am still skeptical of the 10-year model. It sounds great on paper, but how does 343 plan to keep gamers interested for ten years?
> > >
> > > Well, they’re probably going to do something like WoW or Minecraft, because those games have had a steady fanbase for several years
> >
> > The question is can Halo maintain the population for ten years, even with dlc, etc.?
>
> Halo 3 and Halo: Reach still have players.

I know I still play reach from time to time! But it’s only to grind for gungnir.