What if you were in the big chair?

First off a few thread rules.

1. All opinions should be respected.
  2. Let’s all try to not start a flame war.
  3. Let’s try to refrain from simply bashing on 343 or blindly praising them.
  4. Have fun with it.

We all care about Halo, after all that’s why we’re on this website. These forums are filled with different opinions. Some people hate the gameplay and some people like it. Some of us hate the Campaign and some of us like it. Some of us are supportive of 343 and some people just hate them. My question for the community though is if you were in charge of the next Halo how would you make it? What gametypes would you bring back? Would you make any new ones? Would you cater to the communities wants or simply make the game you want to play? I’m sure like 343 and Bungie before them we would all strive to make the Greatest Halo game EVER. Everything is merely hypothetical so feel free to have fun with it.

Here’s some things I would do if I was ever given the privilege of making possibly one of the best series on the Xbox.

1. Halo 3 style gameplay. Armor abilities would work like equipment. They are found in the battlefield and are lost when you die. They would operate on a limited use or Charge system. Once they ran out of charges they would no longer be usable and would have to be swapped out.

2. Community map polls. Before the game’s release I would post a poll on the games website asking fans what their favorite maps were from each of the games. The highest voted map from each game would be remade. It would be nice to give the community some of their favorite maps back. Although that would be a lot of remade maps, which isn’t always a good thing.

3. Bring back older weapons. The brute shot, smg, grenade launcher, and the sentinel beam just to name a few.

4. Duel wield. Not sure why this was ever removed. Maybe it had something to do with the noob combo.

5. All original gametypes back. Juggernaut, VIP, Assault, and Race. New team doubles variant of race. The second player would ride on the back of the mongoose and grab weapons from conveniently placed spawners. Damage would be fixed to balance it out. Tracks would be made wider so defensive driving would be easier. Weapons would include shotgun, sword, smg, starting pistol, sticky grenades, and possibly plasma pistols if they are not too overpowered.

6. Campaign… honestly wouldn’t change that much. Maybe not as many switches.

Not entirely all of my ideas but a few. In short I would probably try to play it safe and be a slave to the community. The Halo 3 style gameplay may be welcomed by older players but not accepted by fans that enjoy the changes seen in Halo 4. Since the majority of maps are remakes I would probably be called “uncreative” in the forums. (We can be so cruel sometimes) Overall I’m no where near ready to make my own game let alone be in charge of Halo.

So anyone else out there want to take a shot at it. Feel free to suggest your own changes or even critique mine. I’m sure I made a lot of mistakes.

You’re game would be very well received! Though I was never a fan of the duel-wield. If I was developing this game, the same product would be the outcome, except story-wise changes would be

• Cortana would probably meet her (speculated) doom in the fifth game, making the Chief more emotionally scarred for the climax of the Reclaimer trilogy.
  • Terminals can be viewed in-game.
  • The Didact’s backstory should be extended, to be so bitter that you will question your own actions against him from time to time(have to go here sorry;like Raul Menendez from CoD, the best villain and character in a CoD game, not surprising, since he’s written by David S. Goyer[The Dark Knight Trilogy])

pretty much the same as the real thing but

1 you have all forge pieces on ALL MAPS

2 classic playlist griffball forge playlist and action sack on launch

3 the Didact having a reason

4 in flood made the zombies can have guns

5 and elites back

I love it I would just bring back the equipment from Halo 3 and just make ordinance only bring down AA’s and not AA’s like say jetpack and stuff but the AA’s like Hologram, thruster pack, Hardlight sheild these AA’s would basically function as they are now there perfect IMO. Jetpack would have a set amount of full and will be a pickup same with the health AA and promethean vision. Sentry would be modified a bit and would be only usable about 1-3 times. Gets rid of randomness of ordinance as well and we get to keep the good AA’s win/win.

If I was in the big chair…

I would be on an exotic island right now counting all my money and laughing, while everyone is sad they paid moneyz for this game.

> If I was in the big chair…
>
> I would be on an exotic island right now counting all my money and laughing, while everyone is sad they paid moneyz for this game.

Glad your not in the chair

I would tell them to put that coffee down.

> > If I was in the big chair…
> >
> > I would be on an exotic island right now counting all my money and laughing, while everyone is sad they paid moneyz for this game.
>
> Glad your not in the chair

lol me too… me too.

If I were in “The Big Chair”?

1. Campaign twice as long as it is now. (the larger % of player who purchased, or may soon purchase Halo play offline)

2. Season 2 and continuing of spartan ops available as DLC after paying $10.00. Or eq MS points.

3. All spartan ops campaigns playable offline.

4)At least 1 New specialization released every month with ONE special Sp which allows the combining of 2 sp together within the same loadout. Maybe even put it as a reward for finding a special easter egg in one FUTURE mission. One other sp which gives the ability to pick ordnance drops contents before hand.

5)Grunts etc would have comical lines to say as they did in CE and wouldn’t look like thy were wearing socks for skin.

6)I wouldn’t produce Limited/Special editions of any game. There is already enough tension between rich and poor, and we don’t need to bring that same tension into gaming. Example… “I paid good money for this game and only get 3 specializations?” - “Well I paid twice what you paid and deserve to have 3 times as many specializations as you poor wimps.” Same content for all players right out of the box.

> 5) All original gametypes back. Juggernaut, VIP, Assault, and Race. New team doubles variant of race. The second player would ride on the back of the mongoose and grab weapons from conveniently placed spawners. Damage would be fixed to balance it out. Tracks would be made wider so defensive driving would be easier. Weapons would include shotgun, sword, smg, starting pistol, sticky grenades, and possibly plasma pistols if they are not too overpowered.

I have a really fun racing variant with compatible maps you should try. The gametype is called RACETRACKS - DOUBLES. The compatible maps are labeled as Doubles (all Mario Kart 64 remakes). Each team will have 2 players; a driver and a shooter. The shooter is equipped with a Sticky Detonator and a Railgun. There is an excellent video of this with 14 people playing on my file share.

-Have a monthly release of classic maps
-Have an option to enable or disable map shadows

-Make the DMR 6 shot again, and the BR 4 shot
-Make the Boltshot an ordnance drop
-Replace the Sticky Detonator with the Grenade Launcher from Halo Reach (or “propipe”)
-Place the Plasma Pistol on the maps and disable Plasma Pistol as a spawn secondary in BTB gametypes - also for Plasma Grenades
-Tweak the Binary Rifle so that it cannot be fired unless scoped
-Reintroduce weapons like the SMG for loadout secondaries

-Balance Active Camo so that you remain shieldless while in camo
-Replace the crappy thrusterpack ability with Halo Reach’s Evade
-Balance Promethean Vision takes a “screenshot” of all hostiles with a 10 second recharge time. This 'screenshot" would act much like default Promethean Vision, but it doesn’t track targets; instead, the “screenshot” shows the last known location of any enemy player.
-Tweak jetpack so that it only allows the user of the armour ability to “hover” from his current position for the same amount of time the Jetpack in Halo Reach could be used, but not fly upwards.

-Have all forge pieces and vehicles from Halo game history as spawnable entities (eg: spawnable, flyable Pelicans)
-Bring back the Chopper, Hornet and replace the warthog with the classic Halo 3 Warthog, physics, sound, everything.

-Ranked playlists with locked preset loadouts and no-sprint gametype variants (vanilla Halo for example)
-All gametypes from Halo 1 through to Halo Reach reimplemented (eg: Halo Reach race, Halo Reach Invasion, etc)
-Reformat playlists into Halo 3 style playlists (ranked/social). Social playlists to allow players to play as either Spartan, Elite, ODST, Brute, Marine or Flood (custom armour permutations for each character model like Halo Reach and Halo 3)
-Add Halo 2’s 1-50 system back in, in-game ranking tracking and the clan system
-Replace the cRedit system with Halo 3’s “achievement” system where armour permutations are unlocked by doing feats of awesomeness (eg: Halo 3 Ascetic Helmet unlocked by achieving a triple kill with the Energy Sword)

-All emblems unlocked by default like Halo Reach
-More skins for all loadout weapons
-Armour effects from Halo Reach

-Theater mode for all modes: Campaign, Spartan Ops, etc.
-Halo Reach menu system (the “new” Halo 4 menu is horribly clunky and wastes a lot of space. Halo Reach had it perfect, with all friends on a bar to the right, all game options to the left)
-Implement a new forum feature where in the header bar there is a “report game balancing issue” tab. Clicking it brings to a page that lists all of the elements of the multiplayer experience such as weapons, vehicles or even player movement speed. Options ‘underpowered, overpowered, broken: does not fit role, broken: cannot be countered’ allow players to flag portions of the game as unbalanced for the developers to easily accept community feedback.

Or just make a new, better game at this point. Just some ideas on how Halo 4 could’ve been better.