What if we only highlighted teammates?

Honestly, I think just having the player outlines around teammates is enough. If they aren’t glowing, you’ll know what team they are on.

I think this will solve the friend or foe problem with less visual noise. On the teammate side the outlines are nice! I actually dig seeing where they are at through walls. But on the enemies it just creates balance issues. You can see them through smoke, the matching shield colors makes it hard to discern their shield status against the outline, and it just generally doesn’t look that good to have an outline constantly pointing out your enemies to you.

I think it’s redundant to have it, when just having a teammate outline would get the point across.

I don’t even think we need an outline on teamates. The original Waypoint above friendlies heads and maybe even their tags was more than enough.

See a blue Waypoint? No? Then it’s an enemy.

> 2535449665894532;2:
> I don’t even think we need an outline on teamates. The original Waypoint above friendlies heads and maybe even their tags was more than enough.
>
> See a blue Waypoint? No? Then it’s an enemy.

Well yeah it’s all you need, but considering they designed the system already I see no harm in keeping it there on your teammates.

The “enemy” outline can still be used for the threat sensor as well, it just seems incredibly unnecessary to have it during regular play.

I can hardly see the outlines to begin with. I just shoot everyone that isn’t blue. I found myself depending on the dots on my radar to tell who was who, or dumping a mag into them to see if their shield popped. While I’m near sighted my eyes aren’t that bad. The outlines just don’t serve their purpose correctly.

> 2533274975565198;4:
> I can hardly see the outlines to begin with. I just shoot everyone that isn’t blue. I found myself depending on the dots on my radar to tell who was who, or dumping a mag into them to see if their shield popped. While I’m near sighted my eyes aren’t that bad. The outlines just don’t serve their purpose correctly.

For me it was the opposite. The outline is overwhelming. I can’t even focus on the spartan. Just see a generic blur in a yellow outline, aim near the top for the head after the large flash of color when shields break.

You just got done watching HiddenExperia’s latest video, didn’t you?

> 2533274860752574;6:
> You just got done watching HiddenExperia’s latest video, didn’t you?

90% of the time I find myself at least partially agreeing with him. I’ll have to check his videos out…haven’t seen any since E3.

I think we’ll get used to the outlines pretty quickly tbh. I’m not saying I don’t think alternatives like this could work, I just also think…

• There’s probably a reason many games that use the outline system have it on both teams - I imagine only highlighting enemies and only highlighting team mates was also tested with feedback reviewed and analyzed - We only got a pretty limited amount of time to form opinions on the system - It likely won’t function exactly the same way in the final release. I have to say though, I didn’t feel like I was missing RvB as much as I expected to, but that’s also probably because i kept my colors on the default RvB outline options.

> 2533274809988140;7:
> > 2533274860752574;6:
> > You just got done watching HiddenExperia’s latest video, didn’t you?
>
> 90% of the time I find myself at least partially agreeing with him. I’ll have to check his videos out…haven’t seen any since E3.

I watched the video as well and did send 343 feedback regarding the Friend or Foe system. I’m not saying its bad but I didn’t like the fact that I could not see the enemies armor. I mean, usually I enjoy seeing the players armors in game when i’m getting owned, it’s the reason customization exists, but the outline I feel is too bright to the point where I could not tell what they had on.

It seems many people had some sort of feedback on this system so I’m hopoing 343 finds a balance. In the end, it’s not a deal breaker for me and I had tons of fun. If they do manage to make some adjustments, i’m all for it.

> 2535452479274482;9:
> > 2533274809988140;7:
> > > 2533274860752574;6:
> > > You just got done watching HiddenExperia’s latest video, didn’t you?
> >
> > 90% of the time I find myself at least partially agreeing with him. I’ll have to check his videos out…haven’t seen any since E3.
>
> I watched the video as well and did send 343 feedback regarding the Friend or Foe system. I’m not saying its bad but I didn’t like the fact that I could not see the enemies armor. I mean, usually I enjoy seeing the players armors in game when i’m getting owned, it’s the reason customization exists, but the outline I feel is too bright to the point where I could not tell what they had on.
>
> It seems many people had some sort of feedback on this system so I’m hopoing 343 finds a balance. In the end, it’s not a deal breaker for me and I had tons of fun. If they do manage to make some adjustments, i’m all for it.

Agreed

Teammates shouldn’t have an outline either. Not only does the outline not identify your teammates individually, but it also makes it harder to see their armor. I care much more about the armor my teammates are wearing, since I’m likely to queue up with friends.

Service tags work fine. They should remove the RvB color scheme but reinstate service tags, keeping outlines out entirely. Works just fine in almost every other FPS game of the last decade. Neither team armor colors nor outlines are necessary to identify friend from foe, just a service tag waypoint above teammates’ heads.

I dont know i really like the red highlight because with spartans not having specific team colors sometimes it can be hard to tell whos your teammate and who is not when they are all bunched up and tags are hovering over your mates.

I thought about this right after the outline system was announced. Enemies shouldn’t be outlined, and you should be able to adjust the thickness of your teammates outline.

If you want the outline of your teammates to be super obvious, just increase the slider in the settings, and if you want barely any outline (or none at all) go the opposite way on the slider.

Fully agree. No need to outline enemies outside of scanning or marking them.

The highlighting threw me off at first honestly, but once I changed the colours it was perfectly fine with me.

Cheers!

> 2535449665894532;2:
> I don’t even think we need an outline on teamates. The original Waypoint above friendlies heads and maybe even their tags was more than enough.
>
> See a blue Waypoint? No? Then it’s an enemy.

Whatever they do with outlines, we need to have tags above heads. If I see enemies running towards an ally silhouette, I want to warn that person in particular. I am not even sure why we have service tags if they do not appear in game.