What if they had just waited a few more days?

Suppose at the conclusion of Halo 3 that MC, SGT Johnson, and arbiter allowed the completed construction of installation 08? If it were even possible to mount a defense for the duration, surely it would’ve resulted in SGT Johnson still being alive and 343 not turning on them for a second time. What are your thoughts on this hypothetical scenario?

There was no way that they had the time to wait. The Flood was there and it was spreading incredibly fast, they had to use the Ring as it was to eliminate the infestation before it could further spiral out of control. They got lucky enough that the Gravemind behind the infection was pompous and overconfident and brought the whole of it’s forces through rather than using High Charity to seed pockets of Flood across the galaxy on it’s way to Earth. They had to utilize the Ring while they had the chance before the Gravemind firmly rooted itself on the Ark and started taking advantage of all the Forerunner tech there.

Also, it is not Installation 08. Given that was being built to replace the original Halo that we blew up, the proper designation is Installation 04b. The Ring that is used in Halo Wars 2 is again another replacement Ring and thus called Installation 04c.

Agree with ManiacalSpark. Look how quickly the Flood had spread on Alpha Halo within the span of 2 days. Keep in mind that was without a proper Gravemind directing them, iirc. It was highly fortunate in the first place for everyone that the Gravemind had decided to prioritise thwarting the activation of the rings over spreading across the galaxy.

I think by the time Chief, Arbiter, and Johnson had touched down on the replacement ring, the Fleet of Retribution was already in the process of leaving the Ark to return back to Earth. Why they would do that when the Flood presented as grave a threat as Truth and his Covenant activating the rings I don’t know. They could have attempted to contain the Flood to the immediate area around High Charity’s crash site by glassing its broader perimeter – maybe shoot down the Flood dispersal pods being sent to thwart the raid on Installation 04B.

Could waiting a few more days have yielded any benefit? Well it would have placated Guilty Spark and subsequently averted Johnson’s death, assuming he wasn’t killed by the Flood in the process. Also, Tragic Solitude may not have been as contemptuous and insane as he became since the Ark would have only been violated by the battle and infestation of the Flood. Would he still seek revenge? Perhaps if only because of the violent nature of humanity he witnessed as they battled the Covenant. I suspect the destruction of High Charity also damaged the Ark to an extent.

Some other potential silver linings may have been the aversion of the Ur-Didact’s restoration if only for a time. Cause & effect sequences from the lack of human presence at Requiem would hopefully deter Cortana from going off the deep end and imposing herself as an immortal dictator.

The flood were spreading way too fast for them to survive if they waited for the ring to be finished. Look at how much the flood spread over installation 04 in just a couple days, practically all of the ring was infested. If they had waited the flood would’ve overran them and possibly used the forward unto dawn to spread across the galaxy. They had to fire it immediately

Every day they would have waited would be an extra day for the Flood to potentially capture the Forward Unto Dawn and escape the Ark. Or, an extra day for the Flood to infiltrate the Ark’s systems and learn something that would have made them a worse threat.

I am trying to think of a way in which this would have worked, but can’t come up with anything. If they surrounded the Ark with ships, the Flood would still gain access to some extremely powerful technology, resulting in the destruction of said fleet of ships and beyond. Even so, that seems like an illogical route to take when they had Master Chief ready to pull off some crazy stunts with Cortana and Arbiter. It feels like the entire situation was an all-or-nothing one.

I am curious, OP, did you have an idea of how it might have worked? I don’t mean that to sound rude or anything as this is an interesting question and hearing your thoughts would be enlightening.

> 2533274824050480;6:
> I am trying to think of a way in which this would have worked, but can’t come up with anything. If they surrounded the Ark with ships, the Flood would still gain access to some extremely powerful technology, resulting in the destruction of said fleet of ships and beyond. Even so, that seems like an illogical route to take when they had Master Chief ready to pull of some crazy stunts with Cortana and Arbiter. It feels like the entire situation was an all-or-nothing one.
>
> I am curious, OP, did you have an idea of how it might have worked? I don’t mean that to sound rude or anything as this is an interesting question and hearing your thoughts would be enlightening.

Lolno. I merely wish to see everyone else’s thoughts on this hypothetical scenario.