What if... No Tactical, Support, or Ordnance

Would people still be unsatisfied?

As a new person to Halo, I don’t get it. Is Halo 4 perfect? No, but I like it. Is the game frustrating? Yes, but that may be due to me being new to Halo and having the desire to be as good as I was with COD.

Some folks seem to be upset more so because they can’t dominant the game, whether it’s 1vs1 or having map dominance, as prior Halo games. You can randomly be taken out due to the probability of being outmatched by mapped power weapons or ordnance drops. Some have gone as far to say that they load outs have created unfair advantages. Now, there are some technical updates that need to transpire but that doesn’t seem to be taking the bulk of the conversation. It seem people’s personal preferences and not true technical updates lead most of the discussions.

If I’m off base, please let me know.

Cheers…

M&M

In Halo games of the past even Reach (kinda) everybody started out on equal footing and had to rely on their own wits to succeed. Thats what made Halo unique.

Thats about right. Old timers dont like the fact that the games mechanics have changed from what they themselves wanted. It belittles the fact that Halo was essentially a “dead” franchise after H3 and only at the behest of MS wanting more titles to take on the likes of CoD/BF has it even got to a 4th iteration of the franchise leader title.

They also dont realise that a lot of things have become staples of modern online FPS games. Kits for instance are commonplace these days, and have been in usage for years. BF2 for instance had multiple kits for different styles of play.

I myself never have any kind of “expectations” with a title or hang ups from older ones. I judge a game on its own merits and failures, not what its ommited or added since its last iteration. On that basis I think H4 is a solid title, but it needs some serious patching to get it up to par as a competant game experience. Currently it does feel disjointed, what with FF on team vehicles, not so random person drops, and the over abundance of DMR/camo users.

I agree with OP.

As far as the myth about DMR/Camo goes,I have played over 1800 Halo 4 MM games. After each one I look at the stats and under the Tool of Destruction tab, for most games, the DMR might show as the most used weapon by a couple of people, no more. Here I am talking about Infinity Slayer, BT Infinity Slayer, CTF, Dominion, Extraction and Oddball.

I await stats from 343i that would prove otherwise. The Fact as far as I have seen them over 1800 games is that the DMR is not the overused weapon everyone makes out it to be.

For the record, I do use the DMR/Camo in slayer. But, this does not take away from the observed facts above. The truth is,there are a range of weapons used each game as the post games stats show. Fact is fact.

Cheers

Halo would be very, very boring without them.

> Halo would be very, very boring without them.

Agreed…

> Halo would be very, very boring without them.

I’m guessing you’re new to the Halo series and have thus missed out on the truly amazing Halo games that are Halo CE and 2, and an alright Halo that is Halo 3. For that I feel bad for you, to have missed out on such an experience and have started playing on the disgraces of Halo that are Halo Reach and Halo 4.

> Would people still be unsatisfied?
>
> As a new person to Halo, I don’t get it. Is Halo 4 perfect? No, but I like it. Is the game frustrating? Yes, but that may be due to me being new to Halo and having the desire to be as good as I was with COD.
>
> Some folks seem to be upset more so because they can’t dominant the game, whether it’s 1vs1 or having map dominance, as prior Halo games. You can randomly be taken out due to the probability of being outmatched by mapped power weapons or ordnance drops. Some have gone as far to say that they load outs have created unfair advantages. Now, there are some technical updates that need to transpire but that doesn’t seem to be taking the bulk of the conversation. It seem people’s personal preferences and not true technical updates lead most of the discussions.
>
> If I’m off base, please let me know.
>
> Cheers…
>
> M&M

That’s the biggest problem with Halo 4 and why its such a bad game. They made it so it is all RANDOM now. POD - Random, Global Ordnance Drops - Random. Then on top of that they made loadouts which removed all fairness in the game and allows players to have an unequal footing off the start. AAs such as camo, PV, and jet pack break the game and add to ruining it, those 3 AAs should be power ups found on the map. Then they go ahead and allow a power weapon (Boltshot) be in starting loadouts and then make the rifle balance broken by making the DMR better than all the other rifles in every catagory.

Halo CE, 2, and 3 were the best Halo games because everyone started off on equal footing and it came down to positioning and skill to win a match. There was no instant respawn to allow bad players to take out someone who killed them just because the person was left with no shields, there was no sprint that made it easier for people to run away and avoid a death they SHOULD HAVE HAD because they made a poor decision and were in a bad position. There were no Armor Abilities that broke the sandbox of a majority of the maps. There were reliable consistent weapons (in Halo CE and 2, not 3) that allowed for quick kill times. Halo 4 kill times are so slow compared to these games.

These are all reasons why true Halo players hate Reach and Halo 4 and these are facts that show why Halo CE, 2, and 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reach and 4

arent you talking about team slayer pro? lol

> They also dont realise that a lot of things have become staples of modern online FPS games.

That doesn’t mean that Halo needs those things. If Halo keeps trying to be like other shooters, it will become indistinguishable.

Course A:

You can play class-based shooter 1 (CoD) or class-based shooter 2 (Halo).

Course B:

You can play a class-based shooter (CoD) or arena shooter (Halo).

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out which course has more variety.

> Some folks seem to be upset more so because they can’t dominant the game

No, at least not entirely.

Regarding Ordnance

Putting time into the game doesn’t matter if less skilled players can still win due to random ordnance. Skill becomes irrelevant.

Good players can actually dominate easier just because they got lucky with the dice rolls. Or they can fail no matter how good they are because the other team got lucky.

There is no strategy involved either because weapons just spawn all over the map at random. There is no point in holding positions unless the position is slightly more elevated or slightly more covered than another position.

No skill, no strategy, the game is based off of luck instead of what the player thinks and does. At that point it might as well not even be a game but a slot machine. It doesn’t matter if you think harder or aim harder than your opponent, they can still get random advantages over you.

Therefore, competition and self-improvement don’t even matter.

Regarding Perks:

They are a watered down version of strategy. Instead of positioning yourself or using nearby terrain or tools to your advantage, you are given a specific advantage over other players when you spawn. You don’t need to pick up grenades because you have grenadier, but at the same time the other guy has radar while scoped and you don’t.

With an equal playing field, everyone spawns with radar and grenades. Outcomes are determined by individual merit, not by who has the best perk at that given moment.

That all said, I don’t have a major issue with perks anyways. It is an unfair advantage, but it’s mostly insignificant.

Ordnance is the big issue here. Take it out or fix it to actually be skillful and strategic, and the game will be miles ahead of what it is now.

> arent you talking about team slayer pro? lol

No, but Team Slayer Pro is no longer available due to low player volume, I presume. So even though the option was there, people did not take it. Shows they don’t know what they want. However, they want something they can dominate and feel like a boss. That’s suspect… Most of the people that call themselves true fans are phonies, two-faced, and unworthy to even say Halo.

If Halo was a “dead franchise” after Halo 3, that’s on;ly becasue Halo Reach was so -Yoinking!- bad.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Slayer Pro was garbage.

The auto-aim on the DMR is gamebreaking, there’s still ordinance and non-standard weapon spawns.

Trying to play no-radar team Halo with a bunch of random people with no microphones is a travesty. Spawning with 1 pop-it nade that has a 5ft blast radius is a travesty. No known grenade pickups.

Slayer Pro sucked, so shut the -Yoink- up with this ‘they had what they want, two faceers!’ bull -Yoink-.

The only viable strategy in this version of slayer pro wads to run in a ring around the map and run over people. Which worked really great cause the DMR is so -Yoinking!- easy to aim, and no one has any grenades to defend themself with.

Youre a -Yoinking!- idiot and you dont know -Yoink-.

Many people would be satisfied, yes. However, many many more would be frustrated that Halo hadn’t changed between Halo 3 and Halo 4 aside from the obligatory new weapons.

This is what killed Quake, and after the number of quality shooters out there over the last five years it certainly would have killed Halo.

I’m pretty sure you can play custom games without Armor Abilities and perks. Make friends with like minded people and play custom games with them. There are plenty of places on the net to find these people including these forums.

If you’re looking to prove how good you are, enter or host LAN tournaments. That’s the only way your skill can be gauged. Online play is useless in that regard.

If you want matchmaking catered to your likings so you can stomp on randoms or you just like to -Yoink-, you should go hit yourself in the face with a shovel.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.

I take it back, you know exactly what you’re talking about.

What with probably not being old enough to have played Halo:CE, no apparent games of Halo 2 or 3.

And 2 hours of Reach MP with a .2 k/d

I would be deeply appreciative if you would refrain from speaking.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.

-Yoink- all of you

They don’t belong in Halo. In 343’s quest to make the franchise appeal to a wider audience, they’ve turned this game into another generic FPS.

Halo fans have no problem with adapting, but we shouldn’t have to, the game should already cater to us.

Hey I’m a die hard halo fan, I have every game limited edition, my background is a halo slideshow… played halo 1, halo custom edition, halo 2, halo 3, halo 3 odst, halo wars, halo reach, and now halo 4

It does suck how they changed the original style, i loved it like that, but honestly not much we could do for halo 4, other than just accept the change and play it, as much as I hate to say it