What if Blue Team were sent after MC instead?

Before I begin, I would just like to say that I really like Osiris, I daresay they’re one of 343’s best additions to the franchise. Just not here.
So in Halo 5, we see that the Master Chief, alongside Blue Team, goes AWOL. Fireteam Osiris is sent to track them down. There are a couple of problems with this, which this idea would have fixed. Not necessarily criticizing 343 here, but giving a few tips to learn from. (After all, we ALL want the same thing; a good game with a good story. We may want it for different reasons, but we all still want the same thing.)

• **Fireteam Osiris has no real “motivation”.**As with any conflict, the characters involved have to have some form of motivation to be there. Motivation beyond being ordered to do it. Since Fireteam Osiris never had any real connection to the Master Chief, they have no problems tracking him down; and Master Chief, likewise, has no problems going against them. This lends very little tension to the hunt.
    Ideally, it would have been better if Blue Team were sent against a lone Master Chief. Not only would Blue Team have a personal reason to be involved, but they also would have to weigh their choices between following their long-term friend and team-member or following orders, but the Master Chief would also be concerned about leading them into danger as he makes his way to Cortana. It would also lend weight to the actual fist-fight between the characters.

• **For those who enjoy the ‘lone wolf’ missions, the Master Chief’s levels would be for you.**Some people don’t necessarily like that you always have either three AI, or three co-op partners with you. Sometimes they want some levels where they’re alone. As such, I think it would’ve been far more enticing to have the Master Chief’s levels alone. Maybe he starts talking to himself, still dealing with the loss of Cortana. Co-op partners could still join in as duplicates of Master Chief, if they so-chose.

• **Fireteam Osiris could still be introduced in this game with a small flavor of playable, but be fully playable in the next.**Say half-way through Halo 5(like when Osiris’ mission becomes rescue rather than retrieval), after tracking down the Master Chief, Blue Team eventually decides to go against orders and follow his lead. This would end up making the “hey, they can’t court-martial all of us, right?” moment a little more gradual and believable, and would also still leave a spot for Fireteam Osiris to come into the hunt. This would give players a taste of these characters gradually rather than being hit with a game that’s 70% them, as well as potentially having an even-better introduction than the one we got.

I would’ve loved that idea! 343 botched it with Locke and his team. More Blue team and MC would’ve made the story 1 million times better and much more memorable.

That actually would’ve been quite interesting to have Blue Team sent after Chief.

That would have been interesting.

They’d fare better I’d assume

Yeah, there’s a big problem with a story when you focus it on 2 chars (chief and cortana), then introduce 7 extra characters who have nothing to do with that story. Blue team, as you said, could have been brought into relevancy through their chief, but instead they’re just kind of there to be player 2-4, and are treated so extraneously to the plot that they literally walk off screen in some cinematics, or get ignored that they also went rogue.

I think the underlying reason for most people’s dislike of osiris isn’t so much actually them, its just that they’re so unnecessary to the plot as it is presented. They have no relevancy to the story beyond just happening to be there when important things happen, and to be the ones doing them. Hogging screentime despite this just makes it more aggrivating.

I mean geeze, if you’re going to introduce so many chars…why not make them actually important?

I would rather have that as part of story if they don’t mess it up.

You pretty much nailed it. The conflict between Osiris and Blue team was completely devoid of any tension or stakes. Osiris is completely new to Blue team and the audience, so there is no connection there, and on top of that the story is completely focused on Chief and Cortana. Both these things combined make Osiris completely extraneous to the overall story. There really is no reason for them to be there. At least if Blue team was pursuing Chief it would have given us a reason to care about the outcome of the conflict and feel conflicted about who’s side we were on.

It honestly kind of surprises me how 343 could miss such an obvious improvement to the story. They wouldn’t have even had to change much at all to make it happen really. Hell, if they had made one more easy swap (Didact for Cortana), the story might have actually been pretty decent.

> 2535427499121034;8:
> It honestly kind of surprises me how 343 could miss such an obvious improvement to the story. They wouldn’t have even had to change much at all to make it happen really. Hell, if they had made one more easy swap (Didact for Cortana), the story might have actually been pretty decent.

The sad part is that 343i might not have missed that obvious improvement. All it takes is one higher-up to decline the idea, and that’s that.

> 2533274974033696;9:
> > 2535427499121034;8:
> > It honestly kind of surprises me how 343 could miss such an obvious improvement to the story. They wouldn’t have even had to change much at all to make it happen really. Hell, if they had made one more easy swap (Didact for Cortana), the story might have actually been pretty decent.
>
> The sad part is that 343i might not have missed that obvious improvement. All it takes is one higher-up to decline the idea, and that’s that.

It’s a possibility, but I have a hard time believing Microsoft expresses that level of creative control over 343. I’m sure REQ’s and other gameplay mechanics designed to turn a profit were promoted by the higher ups, but I just don’t see them dictating specific narrative direction and character use. I mean, Halo 4 was a pretty radical departure in terms of story for the Halo franchise (character development focus, death of Cortana, focus on extended universe lore, etc) but Microsoft gave them the green light for it. I just don’t see any strong reason for Microsoft to push for Osiris being put in over Blue Team.

master chief is basically blue team.

I like this idea!
I’d take it a step further, and introduce Locke as the new leader of Blue Team. He’s been assigned a new mission, and a new team. To track down the Chief, with the “help” of the legendary Blue Team. They’d be questioning orders, in order to figure out what the Chief is doing, and to help save the Chief, while Locke would be doing everything in his power to hunt down the Chief despite Blue Team’s distrust.
A tipping point would be when ‘Blue Team’ confronts Chief, but instead of helping Locke bring in the Chief, they stand by while Locke and Chief battle it out. As punishment for thier insubordination, Blue Team is ordered to stand down while Locke employs a new fireteam-Osiris, to help track down the Chief. Obviously, Buck would be his first choice, along with Vale, but id rather see someone other than Tanaka. In my opinion she doesn’t fit with the team.
Regardless, after they learn the Chief’s whereabouts, and his reasons of absence, the newly minted Osiris gets attacked by the Warden. After revealing Cortana’s plans to Osiris the team is forced to retreat and regroup after knocking Locke unconscious.
Captain Lansky orders the sidelined Blue Team to help in the rescue mission for the Chief, to bring him home. After learning about the Guardians from Halsey, they uncover the location of one such creation… in Sunaion. Osiris is dispatched to get to the Guardian before Cortana can activate it.

That’s all I have as far as an alternate narrative.

Amazing idea!

That could be cool. It wold be way more emotional since they are so close as long as blue team were truly concerned for MC not just ordered to go get him.

I also would’ve rather seen Halsey rescued by the Arbiter, instead of Osiris. That way there could’ve been a showdown between Jul and Arbiter, dueling energy swords, and badass elite-ness. After her rescue she is released into custody by Locke who questions her about the new Intel she found through the forerunner constructs. She reveals that there is something different in the info, something familiar in the forerunner code, but it eludes her.
Elsewhere, the Chief is dispatched with a squad of marines to investigate the crash site of Argent Moon. He realizes that an ancient forerunner construct damaged the ship and itself, sending it crashing into a planet’s surface. After interfacing with the damaged construct, the all too familiar Cortana blue and green code is projected on his face plate, with the words ‘find me’ followed by the ‘oly oly oxen free’ jingle, and coordinates for Reach. His marine counter parts continue their search of the ship, as a lone ONI prowler leaves the down ship, piloted by the chief, speeding off to find Cortana.

It wouldn’t make sense because Blue Team was always with the Chief. I don’t see there being a moment when Fred, Linda, and Kelly would have been able to get that mission because the Chief is always with them, or has been since the end of Halo 4. Also given the personal connections between them, I don’t think that a) they would have accepted the mission, and b) UNSC higher ups probably would have never risked such an important task with an at-risk team.

> 2533274815543309;15:
> I also would’ve rather seen Halsey rescued by the Arbiter, instead of Osiris. That way there could’ve been a showdown between Jul and Arbiter, dueling energy swords, and badass elite-ness. After her rescue she is released into custody by Locke who questions her about the new Intel she found through the forerunner constructs. She reveals that there is something different in the info, something familiar in the forerunner code, but it eludes her.
> Elsewhere, the Chief is dispatched with a squad of marines to investigate the crash site of Argent Moon. He realizes that an ancient forerunner construct damaged the ship and itself, sending it crashing into a planet’s surface. After interfacing with the damaged construct, the all too familiar Cortana blue and green code is projected on his face plate, with the words ‘find me’ followed by the ‘oly oly oxen free’ jingle, and coordinates for Reach. His marine counter parts continue their search of the ship, as a lone ONI prowler leaves the down ship, piloted by the chief, speeding off to find Cortana.

A lot of interesting alternatives being passed around here. I like that.

Though I must say, a duel between Jul and the Arbiter is rather unlikely, regardless. Jul is an opportunist, and rarely fights for himself. the Arbiter would likely try to talk Jul down and give him a chance; just like he did with Tartarus.

> 2533274974033696;17:
> Though I must say, a duel between Jul and the Arbiter is rather unlikely, regardless. Jul is an opportunist, and rarely fights for himself. the Arbiter would likely try to talk Jul down and give him a chance; just like he did with Tartarus.

And we all know what happened afterward!

As for my opinion on the topic at hand, Halo 5’s story would be noticeably better without Osiris. The real problem with them is that they were given the wrong intro. Only one member is widely known while the other three are strangers to us, yet they’re front row center. They should have been given a minor role then have us get to know them on the side like with Sarah Palmer. We got to know Commander Palmer through cutscenes and stuff; we didn’t have to spend a second playing as her. Once we feel comfortable with Osiris, make them playable then.

Now, about Blue Team. The game’s story would feel deeper and more emotional if we had Kelly, Linda, Fred, and possibly another Spartan-II chase the Chief and hunt the truth instead of awkwardly-introduced strangers. Having Chief’s closest friends–his family–talking him back would be emotionally powerful. Personally, I would have had Blue Team be sent after Chief instead of Osiris.

What would happen if they sent Blue Team after MC? The same thing that happened to Locke.

Might’ve made the story more compelling, that’s about it. But that’s all that matters for the campaign, soooo… Yeah.