What I think happened in Halo 4's dev...

I just finished the campaign. Haven’t played any multiplayer yet but I’ve been sifting though a whole lot of complaints on the forums. Kinda funny how most of them come from Iron Recruits… :\

Nevertheless, I see what they’re saying in essence. I THINK I know why Halo 4 wasn’t quite as good as people thought it would be.

  1. 343 spent a good chunk of their time trying to prove to themselves and to Microsoft that they knew what made Halo Halo. I believe they said this in a Sparkcast although I could be wrong. Now, was this a bad use of resources? IMO, no. Although, it still did take up a chunk of time and money in the dev process.

  2. 343 was focusing on the Campaign for this one. And it shows. I have looked through some pages of complaints and besides the fact that they took out Theater support for Campaign, I haven’t heard a single word from anyone saying it was at all bad or even mediocre. Heck, I myself thought it was pretty good. If a little short.

  3. 343 has never made and supported an actual full game before. As it says in the ending message, this is their first step. It’s a rather shaky step but a first one. Mistakes will be made. And some big ones too probably. Nevertheless, it needed to happen. 343 needed to make this game so they could learn and make Halo 5 all the better.

So, all in all, perhaps we should be more forgiving when we see the mistakes that they’ve made. Hey, maybe we should see YOU make the next Halo.

INB4 I DO WANT TO MAKE THE NEXT HALO!!!

I’ve played halo ever since the original, the only reason I’m new on the forums is because I’ve never participated in the waypoint forums before (I never felt obliged to before now, because until now things were just spiffy.). I barely visited the old Bungie forums. (Then again, I never really had any major issues with a Bungie game, and so it was never required…) Came here trying to find an official site for 343 Industries and try to bring some constructive criticism to them. I wanted to try and help make 4 better than what it seems to be turning out to be, as opposed to simply cussing out a company. (If you even saw and read my thread you should have noticed I was trying to offer suggestions to make things like XP cap not be such a kick in the balls to people who only get a couple days a week to sit down and play seriously as opposed to 7 days a week.) Also, I would love to have worked for Bungie back when they were still doing halo, and would even consider working at 343 (assuming I was qualified.) Geebus knows they could have used some extra input in regards to certain aspects of the game that could have helped make it amazing. A public multiplayer Beta test would have done wonders to help this game work better on launch also IMO. I’ve seen multiple games do them before, and this being such a major title I don’t understand why they did not do one. They are a fantastic stress test on the system, and with so many people on many more bugs are likely to be found, with opportunity to be fixed before the game actually launches, which would make for a much smoother launch. I heard some of the people at 343 are old Bungie staff also, so it’s not like absolutely no one there has any idea what’s going on.

I’ve got a bit of a wall of text going here though, and I am running on 2 hours sleep, so I should probably end it here for now. It is likely difficult enough to read as it is, I doubt it’s organized very well at this point and I may have repeated myself a bit, but you can probably get the gist of it.

Basically, a lot of those “newbies” on the forums are new only to the forums because they never felt a need to speak up until now, despite being long time fans/players of the Halo series.

> I’ve played halo ever since the original, the only reason I’m new on the forums is because I’ve never participated in the waypoint forums before (I never felt obliged to before now, because until now things were just spiffy.). I barely visited the old Bungie forums. (Then again, I never really had any major issues with a Bungie game, and so it was never required…) Came here trying to find an official site for 343 Industries and try to bring some constructive criticism to them. I wanted to try and help make 4 better than what it seems to be turning out to be, as opposed to simply cussing out a company. (If you even saw and read my thread you should have noticed I was trying to offer suggestions to make things like XP cap not be such a kick in the balls to people who only get a couple days a week to sit down and play seriously as opposed to 7 days a week.) Also, I would love to have worked for Bungie back when they were still doing halo, and would even consider working at 343 (assuming I was qualified.) Geebus knows they could have used some extra input in regards to certain aspects of the game that could have helped make it amazing. A public multiplayer Beta test would have done wonders to help this game work better on launch also IMO. I’ve seen multiple games do them before, and this being such a major title I don’t understand why they did not do one. They are a fantastic stress test on the system, and with so many people on many more bugs are likely to be found, with opportunity to be fixed before the game actually launches, which would make for a much smoother launch. I heard some of the people at 343 are old Bungie staff also, so it’s not like absolutely no one there has any idea what’s going on.
>
> I’ve got a bit of a wall of text going here though, and I am running on 2 hours sleep, so I should probably end it here for now. It is likely difficult enough to read as it is, I doubt it’s organized very well at this point and I may have repeated myself a bit, but you can probably get the gist of it.
>
> Basically, a lot of those “newbies” on the forums are new only to the forums because they never felt a need to speak up until now, despite being long time fans/players of the Halo series.

Yes, but all the Iron Recruits on the forum aren’t really what I was focusing on at all. Just a side note.

Well I for one loved Halo 4’s campaign. Halo 2’s campaign beats it, but it’s definitely up there in the series.

Regardless, sometimes I think people need to take a step back and look at all that 343i have achieved. Are there bugs? Sure. Are some design changes questionable? Absolutely. In the end however, the game is great and it’s obvious that 343i is a worth successor to Bungie.

> Well I for one loved Halo 4’s campaign. Halo 2’s campaign beats it, but it’s definitely up there in the series.
>
> Regardless, sometimes I think people need to take a step back and look at all that 343i have achieved. Are there bugs? Sure. Are some design changes questionable? Absolutely. In the end however, the game is great and it’s obvious that 343i is a worth successor to Bungie.

Not to mention the sound and graphics. They’re both the best I’ve seen on the 360 in a while.

Epic Campaign: Check
Fun Multiplayer: Check
Eyegasmic Graphics: Check
Eargasmic sounds: Check

Sure there are some errors. But the majority of them can be fixed with time. 343 did a damn good job with Halo 4 and I look forward to Halo 5.

> Epic Campaign: Check
> Fun Multiplayer: Check
> Eyegasmic Graphics: Check
> Eargasmic sounds: Check
>
>
> Sure there are some errors. But the majority of them can be fixed with time. 343 did a damn good job with Halo 4 and I look forward to Halo 5.

Pretty much this.

As I’ve said in other threads, the last few Bungie Halo titles have felt stale and it didn’t feel like Bungie was doing enough to move the franchise forward. Halo 4 reignited my love for the franchise and Halo in general feels fun and fresh to play again.

> > I’ve played halo ever since the original, the only reason I’m new on the forums is because I’ve never participated in the waypoint forums before (I never felt obliged to before now, because until now things were just spiffy.). I barely visited the old Bungie forums. (Then again, I never really had any major issues with a Bungie game, and so it was never required…) Came here trying to find an official site for 343 Industries and try to bring some constructive criticism to them. I wanted to try and help make 4 better than what it seems to be turning out to be, as opposed to simply cussing out a company. (If you even saw and read my thread you should have noticed I was trying to offer suggestions to make things like XP cap not be such a kick in the balls to people who only get a couple days a week to sit down and play seriously as opposed to 7 days a week.) Also, I would love to have worked for Bungie back when they were still doing halo, and would even consider working at 343 (assuming I was qualified.) Geebus knows they could have used some extra input in regards to certain aspects of the game that could have helped make it amazing. A public multiplayer Beta test would have done wonders to help this game work better on launch also IMO. I’ve seen multiple games do them before, and this being such a major title I don’t understand why they did not do one. They are a fantastic stress test on the system, and with so many people on many more bugs are likely to be found, with opportunity to be fixed before the game actually launches, which would make for a much smoother launch. I heard some of the people at 343 are old Bungie staff also, so it’s not like absolutely no one there has any idea what’s going on.
> >
> > I’ve got a bit of a wall of text going here though, and I am running on 2 hours sleep, so I should probably end it here for now. It is likely difficult enough to read as it is, I doubt it’s organized very well at this point and I may have repeated myself a bit, but you can probably get the gist of it.
> >
> > Basically, a lot of those “newbies” on the forums are new only to the forums because they never felt a need to speak up until now, despite being long time fans/players of the Halo series.
>
> Yes, but all the Iron Recruits on the forum aren’t really what I was focusing on at all. Just a side note.

Your side note angers me. I’m angry… look at my face… its angry. See what you did?

I think you’re bang on the buck. A shaky first step and more work gone into the superb story.

Though I don’t get what being iron recruit has to do with anything. I’ve been on the Bungie forums actively for 5 years now and you’ll still see me knocking around over there, and with Halo for 10 years. I’m not even “MLG” or anything, just an extremely competent team player who enjoys intellectually challenging games where Halo’s it in the FPS genre.

Some of the complaints worry me as I think 343 might jsut brush all of our concerns aside because of an immature vocal few. My disappointments and concerns are exactly that, and my criticism is constructive and fair, as are many others’ negativity. Calling “XYZ needs fix NAOW!” solves nothing, whereas offering suggestions to problems helps get your point across maturely. We need more of that on these forums and hopefully 343 will offer some kind of a statement to acknowledge our support for them, as harsh as it may appear.

Well, I’m really glad people are seeing my point. Halo 4, while it makes a lot of errors, feels fresh and exciting. For the SIXTH game in a series to do that, that’s something. I just hope that 343 sees and knows what to do with all the things missing in Halo 4.