What I believe needs fixing in Halo: Reach

What needs fixing.
I see a lot of you already trying to come up with the next Halo game. I admire some of the conversations I’ve seen from you true Halo fans, who actually take the time to get facts to build their argument instead of just posting whatever comes to mind without a second thought. We know Halo: CE remake is coming out November 2011, now with that in mind we shouldn’t be trying to come up with a new game, we should be trying to come up with fixes for Reach, cause most likely a new Halo game doesn’t seem to be coming out until 2012, so we’re stuck with Reach so all you people complaining how crappy it is need to shut up cause no one here wants to hear you complain. Anyways I’m going to post two topics one of potential fixes for Reach, and then a post of what I would like to see in the next Halo.

• I like what Bungie tried to do with trying to add some “realism” to the guns, the whole the faster you shoot the more inaccurate it gets. It’s truly not Halo, one of the good things about halo was that you didn’t have to worry about it. Although I mean it is 500 years in the future and a genetically advanced super soldier who can flip a car over, but can’t keep a gun steady is pretty stupid. What I have noticed though is that some guns get more inaccurate than others, while some don’t get inaccurate at all really… They need to clean that up…

• The Arena system… I thought it was a wonderful idea, but now… there’s really no motivation is there right? I mean we have ranks, that’s enough for bragging, who gives a crap what league we’re in? I don’t get anything out of it besides pissed…

• The weapons for Reach were great in the Beta I couldn’t complain too much; it felt each gun was good. Then they did some last minute updates to all the weapons and now it’s all gone to crap… They need to rebalance the weapons again, bring it back to the way it was in the beta or start over.

• Melee… this whole system has gone to hell. Assassinations are fine, but I mean running up to someone and killing them in two hits… That’s just some BS right there. I’m pretty sure a punch does not nearly have as much force as a bullet… so what it takes me a whole clip of a Magnum to kill a man, when I can just hit him twice. This is just ridiculous, honestly what I find myself doing most of the time, is just sprinting to people and hitting them. There are melee weapons for a reason… The gravity hammer and sword are to buff up melee, so get rid of this whole superman melee system it takes away from the experience of Halo… and also no auto lunge I hate that SOOO much… Which brings me to…

• Player assists. Get rid of them. I recently read an article in Game Informer on how Bungie added all these player assists in like snapping and magnetism… It’s trying to help n00bs and honestly it takes away from some of the skill the veteran players have. These need to be removed or be able to have the option of switching them on or off.

• Needs to fix the lag for online firefight. I don’t lag at all for Multiplayer, but when I step into a firefight match, it’s terrible…. Firefight was like my favorite thing in ODST, online for that didn’t lag? Why would it get worse in a newer installment of a game? Bungie is seriously slipping! Come on! That’s all I have for now… I’m going to post next on what I think should be added to the next Halo.

Right here: http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/2917.aspx

I agree with most everything in your well put-together post. I havent really been playing Reach, i’ve gone back to Halo 3(cringe) but it’s the best we got with an online matchmaking right now, because I’ve played H2 on Xlink in the last week and while it’s fun, it’s just too laggy.

I really hope 343i can bring back the fundamental Halo that we all know and love. This was mainly prevalent in CE and 2, but 3 was a heck of a lot closer than Reach. Bloom is something that shouldn’t have been implemented in a Halo game for the reasons you stated. There’s a specific reason people pick up a Halo game compared to a CoD game or a Gears game, and that’s to get that certain Halo feel. Bungie missed out big on this one, and while I respect them highly as a developer making a good game and creating my 2 favorite games of all time (CE and 2), it shouldn’t have been named a Halo game.

I really hope the CE remake rumors are true because i’ve been talking to a bunch of people who would easily shell out full price ($60) if it had online functionality and they left the core gameplay alone and just gave it an HD tune-up etc.
Plus it would give fans who never got to experience CE in it’s prime the opportunity to, and it would revitalize the Halo franchise.

That said though, i’d also like to see the franchise move forward and bring something new, but at the same time something that feels like a true Halo game and doesnt have the fallacies of the others, these being:

Reach: Too many to list at this point, fun game, but fundamentally flawed gameplay for a Halo game. (Includes: Loadouts(shouldn’t be in Halo), AA’s (should remain in non-competitive matchmaking, including sprint!), Melee(you named it well above), and Bloom(don’t get me started on how Un-Halo this is).
3: BR Spread, Non-Hitscan
2: Modders, Standbyers, Superjumping(although it was fun!)
CE: <3, people will complain that the pistol is a one-all-be-all weapon, but if you actually play LANs as much as I have you’ll realize that it’s actually really balanced.

Thanks again for reading one of my lengthy posts and 343i rocks, they seem to be really in touch with the community and a lot of the times the community manager BS Angel will respond to a well thought out post that doesn’t cause too much controversy ;).

The Halo:CE remake is confirmed, Game Informer had an article on it. Although they haven’t exactly stated what they’re doing with it, besides graphic updates.

Ahhh okay sick, thanks man.

I was worried we’d all get pumped for nothing :P, I was always just containing my excitement until an official announcement from 343/MS :slight_smile:

Hasn’t been confirmed, actually. :slight_smile:

• Bloom has always been in Halo games, it just was never visually represented. Also, in order to keep a gun steady 100%, you would have to pull the weapon in the precise opposite direction of the recoil at the precise moment(s) of firing, and with the precise amount of force that the gun is kicking back with.

• Right, and I could say the same thing about Halo 3’s 1-50 trueskill system.

• Really? The only change since the beta was an upped magazine size for the DMR.

• Melee has always been two hit kill. Not sure what you’re complaining about. Not to mention that you’re supposed to melee in close range, not shoot the guy with you magnum.

• The player assists help good and bad players alike. It makes the good better, and the bad slightly less bad. But relatively, the bad are still bad and the good are still good.

-The FF lag is due to the extra AI, and therefore different networking code. Only solution is to get better internet. No other solution to lag. You can’t just “fix” it.

> The Halo:CE remake is confirmed, Game Informer had an article on it. Although they haven’t exactly stated what they’re doing with it, besides graphic updates.

They said that there was a rumor floating around, not that it had been confirmed by anyone.

Which brings me to…

• Player assists. Get rid of them. I recently read an article in Game Informer on how Bungie added all these player assists in like snapping and magnetism… It’s trying to help n00bs and honestly it takes away from some of the skill the veteran players have. These need to be removed or be able to have the option of switching them on or off.

It is kind of annoying that you talk about assists this way. These “verteran” players you talk about are all too often stealing my kills. Its usually not noobs. It’s the kill-stealers.

• Tweak Bloom to punish spammers

• Nades either need a longer fuse and lower damage

• Arena doesn’t encourage winning only stat -Yoink!- for a better number. No Objective which kills competitive play. Divisions are not the ideal assessment of true rank and they reset. Arena just doesn’t work. Bring back 1-50 Rank system

• Bring back bleed-through melees. Why on earth did Bungie take this out I have no clue.

• Add a classic playlist which should include but not limited too- No AA or loadouts, Higher jump height, faster movement speed, damage increase to bring back the 4 shot

There’s more but those are my main concerns with Reach.

Someone needs to fix this game called Reach.

Come on, bloom is random, no bleedthrough makes unfair gameplay, slow kill times are drawing many competitive and casual players alike. We need a game as fast as H:CE, to bring them back.

The link above is GI’s article on the Halo: CE remake. It was updated to say it wasn’t confirmed, I guess Microsoft yelled at them, but they have the name of the developer who is supposedly doing this “remake.”

I know that bloom has been in all the Halo games somewhat, but it never posed as a problem for me. In Reach I feel like the bloom is just ridiculous, it gets so inaccurate so fast is what I mean.

I hated the Halo 3 trueskill, I like Halo 2’s ranking system better personally. And I’m saying anything bad about arena it’s fine when I played it, but there’s nothing there that keeps me hooked.

And yes we all hate kill-stealers, I just feel regardless that assists should be an option, because I personally don’t want the extra help

Thanks for explaining the Firefight lag, It’s not me like I’ve tested like 5 different at 3 different locations, wired and wireless. Matchmaking is fine, but Firefight is just a problem for me.

I know for the most part that Halo has had two hit melee, it just feels different… and the pistol was just an example I was making on how bullets should be doing more damage than a fist…