What Happens When Steve Downes Retires?

Halo Infinite has been described as the beginning of the next ten years of Halo. That’s a quite a long time, especially if they want to focus completely on the Chief. My question is this: what happens when Steve Downes retires? He’s 70 now, and I doubt he’d want to keep working on Halo past his 80s. Would it make more sense for 343 to permanently conclude Master Chiefs story by having him die or “retire” in some manner, or should they attempt to hire someone else to voice the Chief?

Lets bet.

• Change character - Change voice actor - Transform the Chief in to a ciborg - Clone Steve Downes or give him some kind of inmortality - Cry because his voice is pretty cool

They probably have an entire library of voiceovers from him that they can use for future products. Otherwise they can hire another voice actor who can make his voice sound like Steve Downes voice. There are voice actors who can imitate different voices. And we also have AI learning that can imitate voices now too.

They would definitely hire someone else to voice the Chief (hopefully the actor from Forward Unto Dawn). He makes Microsoft too much money to just not exist anymore.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Chief was laid to rest after this game to open up new storylines for a different more inexperienced Spartan.

Chief was the best of the best pretty much from the get go. Would be cool to start down the ranks and become the best.

> 2533274801036271;5:
> I wouldn’t be surprised if Chief was laid to rest after this game to open up new storylines for a different more inexperienced Spartan.
>
> Chief was the best of the best pretty much from the get go. Would be cool to start down the ranks and become the best.

They tried that with Locke… It was awful.

Keep main entries to Chief. However plenty of room for spin off games.

Yeah but that’s because we still have the chief and Locke was just a character we knew nothing about.

If they heavily invested in back story for a character and we slowly learnt more about them then you would care for them more.

Instead Halo 5 was just kind of like, so when do we get to play as Chief, the story wasnt the best in my opinion. You were playing both sides, I know that was to keep you guessing who was right but I wasn’t a fan. I’d rather have played the entire game as Locke than half and half.

They could probably use Master chief’s mocap actor Bruce Thomas. For reference, he voiced the interrogator who speaks with Halsey at the beginning of Halo 4. While no one can replace Steve Downs, Bruce would be my pick as he already is the Master Chief in body, and he’s familiar with the character.

> 2535466533436400;1:
> Halo Infinite has been described as the beginning of the next ten years of Halo. That’s a quite a long time, especially if they want to focus completely on the Chief. My question is this: what happens when Steve Downes retires? He’s 70 now, and I doubt he’d want to keep working on Halo past his 80s. Would it make more sense for 343 to permanently conclude Master Chiefs story by having him die or “retire” in some manner, or should they attempt to hire someone else to voice the Chief?

Oh no. I didn’t realize he was that old. I would rather they properly conclude Master Chief’s story, preferably by allowing him to retire honorably. I don’t want them killing off Chief but I also don’t want an impostor Chief walking around. Then what they could do is have Chief settle down, have children, and then if we want continue the story with one of his kids being a spartan or becoming a spartan.

> 2535466533436400;1:
> Halo Infinite has been described as the beginning of the next ten years of Halo. That’s a quite a long time, especially if they want to focus completely on the Chief. My question is this: what happens when Steve Downes retires? He’s 70 now, and I doubt he’d want to keep working on Halo past his 80s. Would it make more sense for 343 to permanently conclude Master Chiefs story by having him die or “retire” in some manner, or should they attempt to hire someone else to voice the Chief?

The World will burn until it’s anything but glass.

yeah, most likely scenario: They will replace Chief ultimately question is, will they be successful? They basically tried that already with Locke and it failed.

> 2535466533436400;1:

They could try the announcer, the dude who says the stuff like “kill from the grave” or “double kill” up until halo 5 I always thought it was Steve Downes doing it. Also as a side note the voice actor almost got the voice acting role for chief.

Peter Cullen still does Optimus Prime and he is 80.

I wouldn’t be too worried about this right now, he’s already stated that after retiring from radio he basically is doing voice acting for fun. He’s also stated many times how much he loves playing Chief, so it’s possible he’ll be here for a long time after 80.

We get something like Splinter Cell Blacklist (maybe it was Conviction), where the game itself is decent, but every time the lead character speaks you’re reminded something is a little different.

> 2533274925473364;6:
> > 2533274801036271;5:
> > I wouldn’t be surprised if Chief was laid to rest after this game to open up new storylines for a different more inexperienced Spartan.
> >
> > Chief was the best of the best pretty much from the get go. Would be cool to start down the ranks and become the best.
>
> They tried that with Locke… It was awful.
>
> Keep main entries to Chief. However plenty of room for spin off games.

They did it poorly with Locke. It can be done, they just need to flesh out the character more. I think what Ken2379 suggested is a cool idea.

I wouldn’t mind the Chief dying and them going with an all new character, and I love the Chief.

Jerome would be a good choice.

They should record 100 one liners with Steve Downes now.That will be enough for next 10 years.

There’s also the actor from the upcoming showtime series that could be the new voice.

Man I for one would love it if Chief passed the torch along to Jerome-092. Him and Atriox absolutely stole the show in HW2.

I could really get behind these two being the next face of Halo.

> 2535438271253111;18:
> Man I for one would love it if Chief passed the torch along to Jerome-092. Him and Atriox absolutely stole the show in HW2.
>
> Halo Wars 2: Jerome VS Elites & Brutes - YouTube
> I could really get behind these two being the next face of Halo.

Yeah i would love for Atriox to be the new main protagonist😀

> 2533274813946507;11:
> > 2535466533436400;1:
> > Halo Infinite has been described as the beginning of the next ten years of Halo. That’s a quite a long time, especially if they want to focus completely on the Chief. My question is this: what happens when Steve Downes retires? He’s 70 now, and I doubt he’d want to keep working on Halo past his 80s. Would it make more sense for 343 to permanently conclude Master Chiefs story by having him die or “retire” in some manner, or should they attempt to hire someone else to voice the Chief?
>
> They could try the announcer, the dude who says the stuff like “kill from the grave” or “double kill” up until halo 5 I always thought it was Steve Downes doing it. Also as a side note the voice actor almost got the voice acting role for chief.

Maybe, but he’s not much younger than Steve