What happens to the Halo Series if Halo 4 will be a Flop?

Hello dear Halo community,
as you can see we are all very active in this Forum (over 25.000 views only on the first site of the Halo 4 section).

I think the majority of us are hardcore Halo fans and can’t wait to play the next Halo installment. But let’s be sirious, what will happen if Halo 4 is going to be flop? Will Halo die?

I personally don’t believe this can happen, but some of my friends are still only playing Halo 3, because they don’t like Reach. And if you play Halo 3 in matchmaking you will hear from 1-3 person/s that Reach sucks. Well, I have to admit, that’s kinda correct, but it’s not the truth in generell. Halo 3 had really good Maps and Playlists, but it had de-rankers and boosters.
In Reach you will see once in 100 games someone not doing anything at all. Ofcourse it has something to do with the ranking system, because nobody cares in Reach what rank they are, unless you are Inherritor.
But let’s tell the truth. The Inherritors I met and you maybe met, were really bad and you could see, that they were boosted in Firefight, Campaign and in Multiplayer, too. Ofcourse we have some really good Inherritors out there, (I lost to a handfull of them) but the truth is the majority of them are boosted and are going negative all over again.

Okay, multiplayer isn’t all. Campaign in Reach was more epic, then the Halo 3 Campaign was. Forge was much better in Reach, then it was in Halo 3. And Reach has Firefight mode. Last but not least, Halo 3’s Theater was better and the reason is, that you could whatch with more then 1 player together. In Reach you have to upload it to File-Share then download it and then watch it.
The question is why? Reach has a much more efficient network system. The majority of us doesn’t have laggs at all, because of this great network system. Why we can’t watch together a filmclip in cinema? Well I haven’t got an aswer from Bungie and from 343i yet, the only answer I got was “Because they can…” and this was from a trolling Halo community member.

And now some number at the end:

Halo 3 had over 10 Mio. selled games and on the weekends there were nearly over 1 Mio. people playing.
How much selled copies had Halo Reach? Maybe over 13 Mio.? I didn’t find the total number, but what I’ve found out is, that Reach sold over 3 Mio. copies in the first 24 hours. And fact is, that Halo Reach had over 1. Mio people playing in the first two weeks every day. If you compare it to now, Halo Reach has only 100.000 people playing in avarage.

(Multiplayer activity numbers are taken from Bungie.net)

The question is: Where are the players? Well, not everybody has Xbox Live, for sure, but why does Halo Reach’s multiplayer numbers are so low? Right, because the avarage is scared of new things and they didn’t liked the AA’s and the bloom in connection with hitscan weapons.

Okay I drifted a little away from my topic, but the little aspects are counting, too for a game.

What do you guys think of the future of Halo? Will the Halo series die?

I don’t believe it will, because we will see a new beginning with Halo 4 and I believe 343i recognized Bungies failures. The fact that this is the last Halo game for the Xbox 360 is important, too. 343i is going out wih a bang.

Ps: Sorry for my bad english grammar, my writing english sucks, basically :wink:

with best regards

the CrazY CroaTia’n

The thought of Halo 4 being a flop hasn’t even entered my mind.
And i simply won’t let it either. lol

PeacE
ShadEO9

> The thought of Halo 4 being a flop hasn’t even entered my mind.
> And i simply won’t let it either. lol
>
>
>
> PeacE
> ShadEO9

The differnce between me and you, is that I’m only scared, because I thought Halo Reach won’t be a flop, but it was. I totally understand you. I don’t want Halo 4 to be a flop, too. But there is always a chance. Let’s hope it won’t be!

It would crash and burn like the pillar of autumn

Reach was neither a critical nor a commercial flop. It has sold 5 million copies worldwide and currently has a Metacritic score of 91. The petulant braying of so-called competitive gamers, who have been unable to adapt to a few minor mis-steps in the Halo formula (if one chooses to categorise them as such), does not a failure make.

No Halo game has ever flopped and neither will Halo 4. Even if the game proves to be a colossal disappointment, the Halo name alone will guarantee above average sales figures, particularly among the younger demographic, who aren’t so rigidly entrenched in the quagmire of nostalgia. You may not end up liking the game, but I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the Reclaimer trilogy reaching a premature conclusion.

If it were a flop? Possible we’d see rolling Canon retcons and a Halo 5 attempt after a tentative wait time.

It really just depends on what people didn’t like about it.

I know i’m skeptical on account of all the recent books and their drastic canon changes. Humanity went from a chosen succesor to the forerunner in their role too what basically amounts to: ‘The kids on time out in space’ That is just my opinion on that matter.

But I do think Microsoft would be FURIOUS.

> I know i’m skeptical on account of all the recent books and their drastic canon changes. Humanity went from a chosen succesor to the forerunner in their role too what basically amounts to: ‘The kids on time out in space’ That is just my opinion on that matter.

Where were you three weeks ago when I was trying to argue this point against a legion of Greg Bear fans?

> Reach was neither a critical nor a commercial flop. It has sold 5 million copies worldwide and currently has a Metacritic score of 91. The petulant braying of so-called competitive gamers, who have been unable to adapt to a few minor mis-steps in the Halo formula (if one chooses to categorise them as such), does not a failure make.
>
> No Halo game has ever flopped and neither will Halo 4. Even if the game proves to be a colossal disappointment, the Halo name alone will guarantee above average sales figures, particularly among the younger demographic, who aren’t so rigidly entrenched in the quagmire of nostalgia. You may not end up liking the game, but I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the Reclaimer trilogy reaching a premature conclusion.

This is not true. Halo 3 had over 10 Mio. copies it can’t be that Halo Reach has only 5 Mio. copies, because it was 3,2 on the first day. It has more then 10 Mio. for sure. If not 5 Mio. is a FLOP.

After Halo Reach’s failier I really don’t think 343 will let that happen again. Even if Halo4’s gameplay is unsatisfying I have great faith in the story.

Well if it becomes a flop I think all the CoD extreme players will have another reason to hate Halo, and the true halo fans will either take the blame to 343i or accept the fact and either try to work around all the crappiness or go back to past Halo’s and hope the future of the franchise shall be better, though that is my own opinion. :smiley:

Unlike Reach, Halo 4 is being built around the canon novels: Grasslands and Primordium. if you’ve read those books, played halo: CEA and loked at all the terminals (plus the bonus 11th in Waypoint), You’d have a pretty good idea of how halo 4 will be story-wise.

And Story is the ONLY thing that matters to me in a Halo game…Hell ALL games!

Reach’s campaign was more epic. I wholeheartedly disagree.

OT: If Halo 4 is a flop then Microsoft will push Halo 5 like crazy. They’ll likely give it even more funding, market the hell out of it and push it like never before. If Halo 5 is a flop and sells poorly as well then they’ll either take the stubborn route of upping everything again or, they’ll rush Halo 6 out of the gate and put the series on the back burner. One day, maybe twenty years later, they’ll make “the game Xbox fans have been waiting for” and release a new Halo title.

Halo as a series is on life support. Halo as individual games can never die. Only fall into obscurity.

they would make halo wars 2 instead.

> Reach was neither a critical nor a commercial flop. It has sold 5 million copies worldwide and currently has a Metacritic score of 91. The petulant braying of so-called competitive gamers, who have been unable to adapt to a few minor mis-steps in the Halo formula (if one chooses to categorise them as such), does not a failure make.
>
> No Halo game has ever flopped and neither will Halo 4. Even if the game proves to be a colossal disappointment, the Halo name alone will guarantee above average sales figures, particularly among the younger demographic, who aren’t so rigidly entrenched in the quagmire of nostalgia. You may not end up liking the game, but I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the Reclaimer trilogy reaching a premature conclusion.

You’re right its just the competitive players blowing smoke that Reach was a flop…Not the ludicrously low number of players for a Halo title…Ratings and sales doesnt equal success. At least not in the terms I believe the OP is referring to. Its longevity and online numbers that equal its success. Reach has been a colossal failure on that front.

Honestly, I don’t think it can fail commercially. After five blockbuster games, I think the fact that “Halo” is on its title will practically guarantee that it achieves above average sales regardless of what its reviews are like. However, it is still very possible that Halo 4 could be a critical flop. If that is the case, there would be far less anticipation and hype towards future Halo titles produced by 343 Industries.

> > Reach was neither a critical nor a commercial flop. It has sold 5 million copies worldwide and currently has a Metacritic score of 91. The petulant braying of so-called competitive gamers, who have been unable to adapt to a few minor mis-steps in the Halo formula (if one chooses to categorise them as such), does not a failure make.
> >
> > No Halo game has ever flopped and neither will Halo 4. Even if the game proves to be a colossal disappointment, the Halo name alone will guarantee above average sales figures, particularly among the younger demographic, who aren’t so rigidly entrenched in the quagmire of nostalgia. You may not end up liking the game, but I don’t think anyone needs to worry about the Reclaimer trilogy reaching a premature conclusion.
>
> You’re right its just the competitive players blowing smoke that Reach was a flop…Not the ludicrously low number of players for a Halo title…Ratings and sales doesnt equal success. At least not in the terms I believe the OP is referring to. Its longevity and online numbers that equal its success. Reach has been a colossal failure on that front.

As the ones who have the final say on the continuation of the Halo series, the first thing Microsoft will take into account is sales.

Well according to the selling numbers, ofcourse it’s not a flop. But those people which buyed the game, reselled it or are still playing. Like I said there were over 1 Mio. people in the first weeks playing daily. Now we have 100.000 and less in average.
Do you guys know why? If not I can tell you: Many people are scared of something new and different. Those people are still playing Halo 3 after they played 1 game in Halo 3.
That’s what I call a flop, when people are switching to another game.

> Reach’s campaign was more epic. I wholeheartedly disagree.
>
> OT: If Halo 4 is a flop then Microsoft will push Halo 5 like crazy. They’ll likely give it even more funding, market the hell out of it and push it like never before. If Halo 5 is a flop and sells poorly as well then they’ll either take the stubborn route of upping everything again or, they’ll rush Halo 6 out of the gate and put the series on the back burner. One day, maybe twenty years later, they’ll make “the game Xbox fans have been waiting for” and release a new Halo title.

I: With epic I mean, it was a sad story with epic background. I liked Halo 3 campaign more level design and story wise.

II: I really hope Microsoft will push Halo 5, if Halo 4 flops(which I don’t believe). It would make sense, because a new Xbox and Halo 5 with 6 times better graphics, hardware and software is just an amazing combination and you guys know why the 1st Xbox generation was sold like it was, because Halo revolutionized the console shooter games.

If Halo 4 flops, the entire thing dies with it because halo 4 is the main halo.

Chances of it failing is very VERY low. Microsoft are serious about Halo 4 (would explain no leaks)