What happens if you turn off your Xbox 360 while it's saving...

My son turned off my Xbox while I was saving at the end of a game, and it wiped all my campaign progress. I have to start from the Noble Actual cinematic mission all over again.

My player was reset to a default Noble 6 appearance. It still maintained my rank, armory purchases, and points, although the game thinks everything in the armory is now “new” even if I already bought it. And it still lists me as having beaten the game on legendary difficulty, but I still have to start over. Eh, could be worse.

thats… interesting. never turning my xbox off again.

You really don’t want to let that happen…you know those messages saying “saving, please don’t turn off your console”? They mean it. It can screw up your hard drive and make you lose all your saves, plus you have to fork out for a new hard drive then recover your gamertag on top of it all…And then you have to redownload all DLCs and arcade games and install your disks again to boot…

:frowning:

The hell did he do that for.

Thanks, I’m never gonna let anyone get close to my xbox. when I’m finishing up and saving haha.

This is why having your game auto save every thing, and you not being able to make a dediecated save file like in some PC games, is a really bad idea.
Also, I think WayPoint should auto save your data, have one auto save back up, and one current auto save, in case some one pulls he plug on you as you’re saving, even if the newest set of saved data is screwed up, at lest there’s a back up or an older save that it can revert to, and all that happens is you lose a few minutes of game play.

> The hell did he do that for.

He’s a toddler. He likes to push every glowing button he can find. It took me a while to figure out why my DVR kept getting shut off at random times, especially in the middle of my recordings…

Put it in a spot he can’t get to.

I’m surprised nobody realized this. OP, it isn’t caused by an Xbox issue. There is a known glitch with reach that causes you to lose ALL campaign status and return your character to default armor if you turn off your xbox during campaign. It only happens rarely.

This is what happened to you. It had nothing to do with turning off your xbox during saving. It is just a problem with the game.

> I’m surprised nobody realized this. OP, it isn’t caused by an Xbox issue. There is a known glitch with reach that causes you to lose ALL campaign status and return your character to default armor if you turn off your xbox during campaign. It only happens rarely.
>
> This is what happened to you. It had nothing to do with turning off your xbox during saving. It is just a problem with the game.

To be honest, I’ve never known of this glitch, until now, and the fact that you said

> It only happens rarely.

also, it doesn’t surprise me one bit that nobody realized that this glitch was the cause of the problem. If a glitch happens very rarely, then there’s a good chance that the general public doesn’t have any knowledge of it.

Also on the mater of little kids turning off stuff and hitting buttons, keep any thing with shiny, glowy buttons out of reach of kids. I swear this is in Parenting 101: “Keep all things that you don’t want your kids getting, out of reach of your kids” Not saying OP is a bad parent, I’m just stating that the Xbox should of been put up high, and out of reach of young kids.

> This is why having your game auto save every thing, and you not being able to make a dediecated save file like in some PC games, is a really bad idea.

THIS times ∞

Halo PC had an awesome checkpoint menu. Save was separate from quit so if you messed up but got a really good prior checkpoint, you could just quit then load that checkpoint.

But Halo 2 Vista was horrible (the game’s great but the port sucks). It’s bad enough that you can’t return to the main menu except by saving and quitting and that you can’t revert to checkpoint by dying 5 times. But so many other problems including: can’t crouch while moving/can’t transition into crouch (I have to crouch first then I can move), based on a patched version of the game, press key (i.e. press E) to get allies out doesn’t work (I have to hold it down first then go up to them).

Not to mention that you have to go to the AppData folder if you want to do things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cMiXyKrX_M&feature=channel_video_title

In Halo PC, I could access multiple levels so this wouldn’t have been necessary.

No need for those things, the new dashboard saves a copy of all you saved stuff to Microsoft’s servers for use anywhere.

> No need for those things, the new dashboard saves a copy of all you saved stuff to Microsoft’s servers for use anywhere.

You’re wrong, as much as I love the idea of Microsoft is saving back ups of our dashboard saves, it has two problems, #1 you need to be connected to the internet. and #2 if some one was to hack into those servers, or cause those servers to crash, those back ups can be lost. Also another problem is, if they get lazy with the way save check points are set up, you could get a save check point seconds before an AI mows your down, and every time you reload that check point, you die, where as the way most PC games save, you can pick out an older save, or a save you saved, and not worry about that stupid check point error.

Most people are always connected to the internet, and if you’re not and it does get corrupt then just go on and grab a little bit of an older one. Also xbox live hasn’t ever been hacked like that, i doubt it will, and if it does they would get it back and running in a little bit of time and then you can re-upload it, the chances of your local files going corrupt during that time are slim to none. For the last one games like halo have a few built in check points you can go to if you went that far in that level, it may not be exact but it isn’t like you have to redo the whole thing.