What happened with ONI's plan to wipe out elites?

Whatever happened to ONI’s plan to wipe out the elites through starvation and fueling the civil war? This was a major plot point in the Kilo-5 trilogy and its never been brought up again, I mean the Arbiter is still on good terms with the UNSC. And while I’m only on Chapter 2 of Hunters in the Dark Hood mentions asking the Arbiter for help with their little Halo problem in 2555 only two years after Kilo-5. Elites are still around and kicking by Halo 5 so whats the deal? Did ONI just give up their plan? Are they still giving weapons to Covenant Remnant factions?

It got taken out back and shot, along with the rest of Traviss’ more unappealing concoctions.

In-universe, ONI probably realized the self-destructive idiocy of the plan and ditched it.

Good question, in which was followed up with an even better answer by Skeleborn!

> 2533274848433317;2:
> In-universe, ONI probably realized the self-destructive idiocy of the plan and ditched it.

If it was that simple ONI would have ditched the plan before it got off the ground.

I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.

It always seemed like a failsafe, and I’m guessing it died with Parangosky

> 2533274856204101;5:
> I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.

Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.

> 2533274848433317;2:
> It got taken out back and shot, along with the rest of Traviss’ more unappealing concoctions.
>
> In-universe, ONI probably realized the self-destructive idiocy of the plan and ditched it.

Hey now.
Traviss is a great author. Just because YOU didnt like the Kilo-V Trilogy doesnt mean it sucked.
It was a good plot point to show just how far ONI was willing to make sure its own agenda worked out and that they wanted to weaken the Elites so badly they couldnt fight back if they were to figure out what ONI was doing.

> 2533274805386380;8:
> > 2533274848433317;2:
> > It got taken out back and shot, along with the rest of Traviss’ more unappealing concoctions.
> >
> > In-universe, ONI probably realized the self-destructive idiocy of the plan and ditched it.
>
>
> Hey now.
> Traviss is a great author. Just because YOU didnt like the Kilo-V Trilogy doesnt mean it sucked.
> It was a good plot point to show just how far ONI was willing to make sure its own agenda worked out and that they wanted to weaken the Elites so badly they couldnt fight back if they were to figure out what ONI was doing.

As someone who is just coming off of a 2-year bitter streak against the K-5 trilogy, Simplicityy is correct. Like all the Halo books, the series isn’t without its issues but it has it’s place.
I also agree that it was a good insight into exactly how far ONI would go, and it kept Halo from slipping into an easy-fix for peace. However, I would like some follow-up on what happened with the plan. Due to Serin’s hiring of Ayit 'Sevi and Thel’s increased control over Sanghelios, she may have considered it unneccessary.

> 2533274812652989;7:
> > 2533274856204101;5:
> > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
>
>
> Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.

Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?

Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy. The worst Jul ever did was nearly nuke the Infinity; otherwise he built up an army, found Requiem and threw the parking break on for a few years waiting for it to open. He’s the biggest Covenant threat out there and he’s never gotten into human space. There have been other fringe factions lead by their own Warlords, which was inevitable, but if the objective was to keep the Elites from unifying under an anti-human banner, something certainly went right. The point is that what enemies did rise against humanity were manageable, nothing like the full might of a more or less unified Sangheili people would pose, like Telcam was attempting to build too.

And he’s right, because he was addressing Telcam’s people and Arbiter’s. The Swords are BFFs with humanity, and Telcam is either dead, or no longer in a powerful enough position to be immediately relevant, and his politics were a little less welcoming than Arbiter, despite also working towards a unified Sangheili. Since a fleet of zealots isn’t bearing down on earth, I’d say it was a success.

> 2533274805386380;8:
> > 2533274848433317;2:
> > It got taken out back and shot, along with the rest of Traviss’ more unappealing concoctions.
> >
> > In-universe, ONI probably realized the self-destructive idiocy of the plan and ditched it.
>
>
> Hey now.
> Traviss is a great author. Just because YOU didnt like the Kilo-V Trilogy doesnt mean it sucked.
> It was a good plot point to show just how far ONI was willing to make sure its own agenda worked out and that they wanted to weaken the Elites so badly they couldnt fight back if they were to figure out what ONI was doing.

And just because YOU liked it doesn’t mean it’s good. Traviss’ stuff can be enjoyable when she’s working with her own characters but she shouldn’t be let anywhere near established ones. And she’s terrible at painting the big picture for a setting as expansive as Halo. Everything in Kilo-5 feels very cramped compared to the earlier novels and even the games.

Wasn’t the plan actually just to critically weaken the Sangheili? Don’t think you can wipe out a species with a civil war unless nukes are involved and i don’t recall ONI giving away those.

Anyhow, ONI is under new management with diffrent priorities. Admiral Osman might think that the plan was relevant at the time but as the CINCONI she’s got access to a lot of more pertinent information now that could have caused her to shift focus of ONI away from the Sangheili.

> 2533274798011936;10:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> >
> >
> > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
>
>
> Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
>
> Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy.

Every part of canon aside from the kilo-5 trilogy and its stupid portrayal of the entire lore points to humanity being a backwater Tier 3 empire compared to the more advanced covenant and most of its current Sangheili factions. Every piece.

> 2533275014949226;13:
> > 2533274798011936;10:
> > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> > >
> > >
> > > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
> >
> >
> > Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
> >
> > Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy.
>
>
> Every part of canon aside from the kilo-5 trilogy and its stupid portrayal of the entire lore points to humanity being a backwater Tier 3 empire compared to the more advanced covenant and most of its current Sangheili factions. Every piece.

Then whats this?

> 2533274805386380;8:
> > 2533274848433317;2:
> >
>
>
> Hey now.

No ones doubting she a “good Author”. Kilo 5 trilogy would be great in a stand alone universe, but its not. Hate is driven due to it not using any of the existing source material and re writing history in others. I’m still bitter this trilogy sold it self as sequel/continuation to ghost of onyx yet had zero time for the characters of that book.

No one is clambering for a definitive addition. Rather most hard core would rather forgive forget and see it erased.

> 2533274798011936;10:
> > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> >
> >
> > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
>
>
> Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
>
> Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy. The worst Jul ever did was nearly nuke the Infinity; otherwise he built up an army, found Requiem and threw the parking break on for a few years waiting for it to open. He’s the biggest Covenant threat out there and he’s never gotten into human space. There have been other fringe factions lead by their own Warlords, which was inevitable, but if the objective was to keep the Elites from unifying under an anti-human banner, something certainly went right. The point is that what enemies did rise against humanity were manageable, nothing like the full might of a more or less unified Sangheili people would pose, like Telcam was attempting to build too.
>
> And he’s right, because he was addressing Telcam’s people and Arbiter’s. The Swords are BFFs with humanity, and Telcam is either dead, or no longer in a powerful enough position to be immediately relevant, and his politics were a little less welcoming than Arbiter, despite also working towards a unified Sangheili. Since a fleet of zealots isn’t bearing down on earth, I’d say it was a success.

Jul wasn’t directly planning to attack humanity, he was focusing on the Arbiter. It was ONI who gave him the motivation and the tools he needed to jumpstart a new Covenant, and in turn multiple offshoots, that have been a pain in the UNSC’s -Yoink- for a year.

The Second Battle of Requiem? Jul’s forces ran circles around the UNSC bases, nearly wiped out Infinity and devastated its fleet, destroyed the planet before the UNSC could complete its research mission, and made off with part of the Janus Key.
Since then, colonies have been glassed, peace talks have been interrupted, Infinity has been lured into traps, the rest of the Janus Key was stolen, and more. ONI’s plan to weaken the Sangheili only gave a lot of them a clear target and the ability to attack humanity. If the Servant’s successfully defeated the Arbiter, there would be nothing between them and humanity. It’s the Arbiter right now that is beating Jul’s Covenant into submission, and the Arbiter who has likely put down numerous hostile uprisings.

Sure, we’re friends with the SOS now. But we have word that the Shadow of Intent destroyed 3 ONI prowlers, and what do you think the SOS would think if they find out we shot down their ships and armed the people trying to destroy them? Hunters in the Dark already showed that they really don’t actually care that much about us. The Arbiter laughed at the thought that the UNSC would go to war over what N’tho did.

Humanity might be powerful, but a lot of that is an illusion in Infinity’s shadow. Human worlds are still being glassed. Insurrectionists are still rising.
It’s the Arbiter’s campaign that’s finishing Jul’s Covenant. The Arbiter instructed N’tho to carry out the Ark mission without humanity… he abducted them to be kind. The human fleet took a major hit when Earth was attacked by Solitude’s forces, while N’tho’s ship soloed 4 of them on its own.

> 2533274825022855;14:
> > 2533275014949226;13:
> > > 2533274798011936;10:
> > > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
> > >
> > >
> > > Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
> > >
> > > Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy.
> >
> >
> > Every part of canon aside from the kilo-5 trilogy and its stupid portrayal of the entire lore points to humanity being a backwater Tier 3 empire compared to the more advanced covenant and most of its current Sangheili factions. Every piece.
>
>
> Then whats this?

Propaganda.

Humanity are up there, in terms of power, but it’s an illusion that they’re the most powerful. Recent media has demonstrated that pretty well.

> 2533274825022855;14:
> > 2533275014949226;13:
> > > 2533274798011936;10:
> > > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
> > >
> > >
> > > Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
> > >
> > > Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy.
> >
> >
> > Every part of canon aside from the kilo-5 trilogy and its stupid portrayal of the entire lore points to humanity being a backwater Tier 3 empire compared to the more advanced covenant and most of its current Sangheili factions. Every piece.
>
>
> Then whats this?

Lasky’s BS. He got tactically humiliated by 'Mdama, his ship has been diabled like half a billion times and his statement is not backed by anything in the universe. I prefer to listen to Iqbal, Hood, Thel and not a UNSC captain living under the shadow of ONI. Hunters in the Dark, evolutions, Broken circle, halo 2,halo 3,universe encyclopedia articles, bestiarum, halo reach, halo the cole protocol, halo nightfall, etc are supporting my claim that the UNSC is a backwater tier 3 empire.

> 2533274907934539;16:
> > 2533274798011936;10:
> > > 2533274812652989;7:
> > > > 2533274856204101;5:
> > > > I think I am correct in saying, ONI didn’t want to wipe out the elites. They wanted to weaken them. Supplying arms to Tel Cam and occasionally destroying some of Thel Vadams ships would make things more difficult for the sangheli factions. Both factions would be battered, and would make them no possible threat to the UNSC.
> > >
> > >
> > > Well that plan sure backfired hilariously.
> >
> >
> > Because a warlord who was planning to go to war with humanity anyway…went to war with humanity anyway?
> >
> > Because as far as I can tell, humanity is the dominant power in the galaxy. The worst Jul ever did was nearly nuke the Infinity; otherwise he built up an army, found Requiem and threw the parking break on for a few years waiting for it to open. He’s the biggest Covenant threat out there and he’s never gotten into human space. There have been other fringe factions lead by their own Warlords, which was inevitable, but if the objective was to keep the Elites from unifying under an anti-human banner, something certainly went right. The point is that what enemies did rise against humanity were manageable, nothing like the full might of a more or less unified Sangheili people would pose, like Telcam was attempting to build too.
> >
> > And he’s right, because he was addressing Telcam’s people and Arbiter’s. The Swords are BFFs with humanity, and Telcam is either dead, or no longer in a powerful enough position to be immediately relevant, and his politics were a little less welcoming than Arbiter, despite also working towards a unified Sangheili. Since a fleet of zealots isn’t bearing down on earth, I’d say it was a success.
>
>
> Jul wasn’t directly planning to attack humanity, he was focusing on the Arbiter. It was ONI who gave him the motivation and the tools he needed to jumpstart a new Covenant, and in turn multiple offshoots, that have been a pain in the UNSC’s -Yoink- for a year.
>
> The Second Battle of Requiem? Jul’s forces ran circles around the UNSC bases, nearly wiped out Infinity and devastated its fleet, destroyed the planet before the UNSC could complete its research mission, and made off with part of the Janus Key.
> Since then, colonies have been glassed, peace talks have been interrupted, Infinity has been lured into traps, the rest of the Janus Key was stolen, and more. ONI’s plan to weaken the Sangheili only gave a lot of them a clear target and the ability to attack humanity. If the Servant’s successfully defeated the Arbiter, there would be nothing between them and humanity. It’s the Arbiter right now that is beating Jul’s Covenant into submission, and the Arbiter who has likely put down numerous hostile uprisings.
>
> Sure, we’re friends with the SOS now. But we have word that the Shadow of Intent destroyed 3 ONI prowlers, and what do you think the SOS would think if they find out we shot down their ships and armed the people trying to destroy them? Hunters in the Dark already showed that they really don’t actually care that much about us. The Arbiter laughed at the thought that the UNSC would go to war over what N’tho did.
>
> Humanity might be powerful, but a lot of that is an illusion in Infinity’s shadow. Human worlds are still being glassed. Insurrectionists are still rising.
> It’s the Arbiter’s campaign that’s finishing Jul’s Covenant. The Arbiter instructed N’tho to carry out the Ark mission without humanity… he abducted them to be kind. The human fleet took a major hit when Earth was attacked by Solitude’s forces, while N’tho’s ship soloed 4 of them on its own.

All good points. I support this comment.

Be honest ONI’s plan to destabilise the Sangheili through internal conflict and eventual starvation always smed like and unrealistic plot, bordering on farcical.

Firstly we have ONI magically being able to supply Teclam’s insurgency with weapons and equipment, despite the fact that the Covenant weaponry and technology they would need to be able to supply has long been outside the UNSC’s capability to produce.

How exactly was ONI supplying the Arbiter’s enemies, and more importantly why would Teclam, an experienced Field Master accept help from ONI, an organisation he knows would view an insurgent Covenant as a threat?

Moving back to the whole starvation via food tampering idea, this is probably the most inneficient method of mass murder ONI could pick. To be effective, they’d have to successfully deliver their altered crop to every single Sangheili planet capable of growing this crop, and it would have to be 100% lethal and immediate. The altered crop only made Jul ill, and food poisoning effects people differently. It would oly take a tiny fraction of surviving Sangheili population to man the small number of vessels that would be needed to glass Earth, and that’s the obvious flaw to this plan.

In all honesty, I don’t think we’ll ever see this sub-plot revisited.