"What Happened?" **Updated**

Note. This is a blog from Professional Halo 2/3 player, Gandhi. I, nor do I think anyone else, could have said it better. I expect to get banned for posting this. sigh -Yoink- it I’m posting anyway. Here’s a link to the original blog. Link

> I have given ten years of my life to competitive Halo. I’ve gone from being a national champion to commentating. Those who have been apart of Halo as long as I have will not argue that Halo has progressively gotten worse. Sadly, most of you started in either Halo 3 or the game that solely crippled the community “Halo: Reach”.
>
> You all have missed out on the glory days of Halo for sure. There is nothing more frustrating than being told to have patience by various people in this community. I’ve been doing this -Yoink- for ten years and I know what works and when something sucks.
>
> I’m not going to talk much about Halo CE, but know that it had/still has a cult like following. In order to play the game you had to manually search for games through a program than ran on your PC. It was a major hassle but everyone did it because the game was so enjoyable to play.
>
> Halo 2 was completely different in comparison to Halo CE, but most importantly it had something that Halo CE didn’t have… Wait for it…. Xbox LIVE! Finding games was so easy that everyone played for hours upon hours every day. Yes, the majority of Halo CE Pros despised the game at first but it didn’t stop them from logging countless hours on the game.
>
> “How was this possible?”
> It’s called ranks! Ask every single “known” console FPS player what game they enjoyed the best and 99% of them will say Halo 2. This was all because of the ranking system and the online charts. Rumble Pit, Head to Head, Team Slayer, and clan matches were the playlists that if someone got to the top page of they were viewed as gods. I remember making it onto the leader boards of Minor Clan matches (I believe that’s what it was called) and I printed out the page and brought it to school just so I could brag to my friends. This matchmaking playlist was AMAZING. It took forever to level up and you got punished for losing games. Unfortunately, Bungie didn’t realize the power the playlist had on the community and decided to “noob it down” for Halo 3.
>
> The beginning of a new breed of Halo
> Halo 3 began the dawn of customizations and forge maps. Some view it as a blessing others view it as a curse but that’s all perception. Regardless, Halo 3 had the largest on-line viewership of any other Halo Titles. Tsquared got on the Dr. Pepper bottle, Instinct got sponsored by Old Spice, Hot Pockets sponsored Triggers Down, and Stride Gum sponsored Carbon (but would move to sponsoring individual players).
>
> After reading that paragraph there is no arguing that Halo was at it’s peak in terms of sponsors and exposure, but the on-line experience wasn’t the same. Yes, MLG had a playlist in which you could achieve a level “50″ but just about anyone in the top 64 could achieve a level “50″. Personally, it wasn’t as meaningful to me, but it was still better than nothing.
>
> Halo 3′s ranking system gave a lot of new comers something to achieve if they couldn’t make it to an event. I believe this is the most overlooked detail of a ranking system. If players enter a playlist designed towards competitive play they are interested in being the best. They will most likely look into events once they get their first taste of winning.
>
> Not everyone has hundreds, or even thousands of dollars to travel to an event to compete especially if they don’t know how good they are. If your dream is to become a professional player but if you don’t have the money to travel you’re essentially waiting around for the event to be close to your area. This could take years or it may never even happen! Without a ranked playlist these individuals are just sitting around playing various playlists just to stop them from putting a bullet in their brain from boredom!
>
> Halo Reach… That’s all I’ll say about that. Noble 6 was a -Yoink-.
>
> Halo 4
> Now, I’m going to skip over talking about Halo 4. Ah, -Yoink- it. I’ll talk a little bit about it. Halo 4 peaked at 470,534 on-line users on November 7th. Since November 7th the game has been on a steady decline. We have seen lows of 137,056 on-line users. Wow, that’s pretty abysmal. Now correlation doesn’t prove causation but it’s think it’s pretty safe to say that the online experience in Halo 4 just isn’t satisfactory.
>
> The biggest problem is ranks. I don’t understand how a game can get worse over the years, but Halo has done it. They were flawless with the on-line experience in Halo 2. Completely flawless, but then they get rid of it and turned it into a steamy pile of -Yoink-.
>
> This should be alarming for everyone who loves the halo series because it’s not looking good for us. I don’t want to talk about game types and settings for competitive play because it’s not going to change anyone’s perception, but this is food for thought.
>
> There is currently 2,013 online users in Team Slayer Pro. Team Slayer Pro is a stripped down version of Halo 4, but most players don’t like the stripped down playlist. Now Infinity Slayer has 26,861 players as we speak, so it’s clear what the majority of people enjoy.
>
> Now the obvious choice for competitive settings would be something in between Team Slayer Pro and Infinity slayer, but what’s actually happening is the opposite. Ghostayame, my former teammate and good friend, is testing BR only start. He’s stripping the game down to the point where it’s more unappealing than Team Slayer Pro. If these settings are finalized you can expect about 2,000-4,000 players searching the MLG Play-list when it’s released.
>
> I just don’t comprehend the mindset of people. Everyone preached for -Yoinking!- months before Halo 4 was launched that “everything needs to be vanilla” and “let the game evolve. Blah!” Now the games been out for almost a month and everyone wants it changed. Still I can’t really figure out what’s worse, changing the settings to BR only and stripping down the game or using forge only maps so no casual player can ever know what the -Yoink- is going on.
>
> A message to the developers
> Here’s the real message I want to convey to all developers (especially 343). The gaming industry is booming. If you want your multiplayer title to be successful you must include a basic spectator mode, a bad -Yoink- ranked playlist, and you have to support the title in the competitive scene.
>
> It isn’t hard to understand. Not to be cliche but look at League of Legends. It is by far the biggest game in the world of professional gaming and they have the three basics. A working ranked play-list (although ELO Hell sucks!), a sufficient spectator mode, and they support the competitive scene so much that they throw tournaments for the game.
>
> It is very hard to compete with that, so if you aren’t willing to even give your players two out of three of those things your game will eventually die. I give the life expectancy of games without the basics about six to nine months.
>
> I sincerely hope we can find both maps and gametypes that make Halo 4 highly competitive but as it stands I’m not getting my hopes up. Sometimes people just care about the brand and not what’s good for everyone. Peace!

Edited by Moderator - Please do not post spam.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

lolautoaim
lolhitboxes
lolbulletmagnetism
lolcommandopromeleelunge
lolcqc
lolHalo2

>

What am i meant to comprehend from this post?

The fact is, I can appreciate what Gandhi is trying to say, but the retrospect of this is all competitive players need to understand there is more to a video game, its community, and the features for a game then looking into matters like this.

The fact is, there is multiple things which require some attention and 343 currently has to start thinking of multiple elements, including what to do in the future for Halo games. This process never ends, but in the end, there are things which are possible for competitive players, there is possibilities for players in the future regarding changes, but at this moment:

A) No spectator mode is even beign talked about, so don’t expect it.
B) A ranking system is confirmed.
C) The competitive community is working with its settings to make a good, solid, baseline for its main competitive playlist in the future.

Explaining these details is great, and Gandhi does go into good details regarding this, but you can’t expect three games to be tossed into one. It would take forever to get the general design down.

Good blog imo!!

> but you can’t expect three games to be tossed into one. It would take forever to get the general design down.

What do mean?

Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?

> Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?

One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game

> > Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?
>
> One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game

Has he had any experience developing a game? Has he developed a video game that has sold millions?

This game solid millions yet 150k play online, obvious problem is obvious

> > > Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?
> >
> > One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game
>
> Has he had any experience developing a game? Has he developed a video game that has sold millions?

No, but he’s made money by playing the game. He had input with MLG settings, which basically is it’s own game. He also knows how to play Halo and what works.

This game is broken on so many levels. What’s life like, living without a care? I personally choose to care about things that interest me, and I want them to succeed.

Again, as the guy above me said: This game sold millions, yet has a steady population of around 100k at any one time. When I think of Halo 3, during its dying phase, I still think of more players online.

> This game solid millions yet 150k play online, obvious problem is obvious

>implying every single person has XBL at all
>implying all these people have XBL gold
>implying timezones don’t exist so these millions of players aren’t spread out during the day
>implying nobody has a job/school during the week

want more implied things?

> > This game solid millions yet 150k play online, obvious problem is obvious
>
> >implying every single person has XBL at all
> >implying all these people have XBL gold
> >implying timezones don’t exist so these millions of players aren’t spread out during the day
> >implying nobody has a job/school during the week
>
> want more implied things?

400k the first few days. Then it drops to barely 150k. I’ve seen more people at 3am playing black ops 2 than Halo 4 on launch day. Quit being biased and settling for a bad game with the name “Halo” tacked onto it. This is why they keep getting -Yoink-.

So I love how all the “casuals” hate on the “competitive”. We are saying that the game has obvious bugs that need fixed. Things that almost anyone with half a brain would notice. We aren’t saying to take away the gametypes that are up now. No nothing of the sort. We just want the game to stop strictly catering to the casuals. You can try to use slayer pro as an example, but lets be real. Its not what we wanted. Again I say “we”, but the competitive may feel free to oppose me if they wish. All we want is for the game to have a place for us. As it is, there is no place. The argument is made that the competitive players are the minority, but look at the numbers. IN H3 and H2 the competitive feeling of the game is what kept people playing. Reach was meh, but the only reason I played it was bc all of the people moved to the newest game. Yes I like many aspects of H4, but that doesn’t mean its a good game as many people claim it to be. Why can people not understand that?

> > > Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?
> >
> > One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game
>
> Has he had any experience developing a game? Has he developed a video game that has sold millions?

Hes had plenty of experience in playing an ultra competitive game, i didnt start until halo 3 but the fact that i cant choose to have a more laid back game in social or a try hard game in ranked. Now its just groups of try hards roaming around in this mixing pot of all players abusing the small broken mechanics, i cant have fun getting roflstomped in this big playlist, let the hard pros play in ranked and let me have fun in social and then put my try hard boots on in social. Its like cod now, not because of the guns or ordinance drops, but because of the frustrating way the game works where i cant play for fun all the time, because ill run into the guy abusing the broken gun, or ill get a guy on my team that goes 2-16. Its frustrating that the fun ive had in halo 3 is lacking in this game.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not make nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> > This game solid millions yet 150k play online, obvious problem is obvious
>
> >implying every single person has XBL at all
> >implying all these people have XBL gold
> >implying timezones don’t exist so these millions of players aren’t spread out during the day
> >implying nobody has a job/school during the week
>
> want more implied things?

Halo 3 sold less, had more players online a year after launch.

Your argument is not only invalid, but it makes you look stupid.

> > > > Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?
> > >
> > > One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game
> >
> > Has he had any experience developing a game? Has he developed a video game that has sold millions?
>
> No, but he’s made money by playing the game. He had input with MLG settings, which basically is it’s own game. He also knows how to play Halo and what works.
>
> This game is broken on so many levels. What’s life like, living without a care? I personally choose to care about things that interest me, and I want them to succeed.
>
> Again, as the guy above me said: This game sold millions, yet has a steady population of around 100k at any one time. When I think of Halo 3, during its dying phase, I still think of more players online.

Ahhh so he doesn’t really have a grasp of the video game industry, how to market and sell and game and what works for the masses.

Gandhi just knows what he and the MLG like, which is a stripped down boring version of any game. That’s not what I like, which matters to me.

It’s good not having a care for things that don’t matter. I don’t care about stats, specialization codes, how many milliseconds a weapon kills faster than another. I play the game, I have fun and I sleep well at night.

Lastly, what everyone seems to fail to understand is that the game industry is not still stuck in 2007. Not only are there much more games to play with online components (Single player games have added multiplayer like Assassin’s Creed) but there is a much bigger casual base of Wiis, and Kinect, and much more people deciding to play on Mobile devices like iPads or Phones.

Not everyone wants to or has to play hardcore, competitive, online shooters at the exact same time. There are more options of gaming out there for everyone to find and enjoy.

Basically its simple logic. H2 and H3 had a ranking system, and they were competitive games. Having a rank shows bragging rights, and this is how casuals evolve from being the normal player. A game made easy is not allowing the new players to develop any kind of skill because it is handed to them. H4 needs to be competitive as it will only increase the longevity of the game, and more people will be inclined to get better. Simple as that. If you can only reach rank 30, then you work harder and harder to try to reach 35. It all makes sense and it is a simple formula. H2 and H3 had success because of it, Reach and H4 got rid of it now look at the game

yea well 343 is new to halo and doesnt really now much about competitive gaming

> > > > > Who is Gandhi and why does his opinion matter to how I enjoy Halo 4?
> > > >
> > > > One of the best players in the older Halo days he now commentates for MLG. He knows Halo, and how it should be done, unlike half of the community who are happy playing a broken game
> > >
> > > Has he had any experience developing a game? Has he developed a video game that has sold millions?
> >
> > No, but he’s made money by playing the game. He had input with MLG settings, which basically is it’s own game. He also knows how to play Halo and what works.
> >
> > This game is broken on so many levels. What’s life like, living without a care? I personally choose to care about things that interest me, and I want them to succeed.
> >
> > Again, as the guy above me said: This game sold millions, yet has a steady population of around 100k at any one time. When I think of Halo 3, during its dying phase, I still think of more players online.
>
> Ahhh so he doesn’t really have a grasp of the video game industry, how to market and sell and game and what works for the masses.
>
> Gandhi just knows what he and the MLG like, which is a stripped down boring version of any game. That’s not what I like, which matters to me.
>
> It’s good not having a care for things that don’t matter. I don’t care about stats, specialization codes, how many milliseconds a weapon kills faster than another. I play the game, I have fun and I sleep well at night.
>
> Lastly, what everyone seems to fail to understand is that the game industry is not still stuck in 2007. Not only are there much more games to play with online components (Single player games have added multiplayer like Assassin’s Creed) but there is a much bigger casual base of Wiis, and Kinect, and much more people deciding to play on Mobile devices like iPads or Phones.
>
> Not everyone wants to or has to play hardcore, competitive, online shooters at the exact same time. There are more options of gaming out there for everyone to find and enjoy.

That’s exactly why the gaming industry has turned into -Yoink-. They’re making games that pretty much play themselves because people an’t handle any kind of challenge. Please tell me the last Halo game where Legendary was actually difficult. 343 -Yoinked!- up on multiple things. Not just MP.