What Happened to this Once-Wonderful Series?

I haven’t played more than a game of Halo 4 in months. Halo has always been my FAVORITE series since Halo 2. I’ve lately been thinking about what this game is compared to the Original Trilogy. It is unrecognizable.

They ravaged the art style;
shattered any mystery surrounding the Forerunners;
sold out in Multiplayer in dozens of ways;
built terrible maps;
Put a huge amount of resources into a lame at best XBOX Live exclusive bland episodic irrelevant story;
took forge a step back;
and RUINED CHIEF, one of the most iconic video game characters ever.

Honestly, its pathetic that such a well-funded studio could fail so poorly. This studio, that I 100% gave the benefit of the doubt to, FAILED. Even Frank O’Connor, who I followed like he was the Messiah, -Yoink- us into thinking there was some intrinsic value to the new “evolution” of Halo 4 multiplayer, when really it was just throwing out any concept of a competitive, Arena Sandbox shooter and turning it into COD. It’s really, really sad.

I honestly can’t believe I’m about to return this depressing game; I was obsessed with it pre-release. But there’s no longer any doubt in my mind that Halo is cursed, and I need to do the best I can to keep the Reclaimer trilogy out of my view of the real Halo, the Original masterpiece trilogy that Bungie created. ODST and Reach were great supplements to this trilogy, too. But its genuinely heartbreaking watching such an original, innovative series get turned into Mass Effect of Duty, and I hope 343 really knows that they ruined such a special series.

And the worst part of it is the fact that 343 COULD have made Halo 4 an amazing game and one worthy of the Halo name; they had the funding, but Microsoft and 343’s terrible decision to sell out has not only ruined the series for the fans, but for the XBOX, too. Halo 4 sees very playing now, and did not at all take the throne that Call of Duty, in my opinion deservedly, sits on.

Well I’m done venting. Yet another dissatisfied customer. 343, I gave you my devotion for over a year of anticipation, and you failed. Destiny is going to crush this sad series and put it out of its misery, so that I can finally think of Halos 1-3 when I hear the word “Halo” and not this “new direction”.

One word…or number…

that’s what happened. they kind of just borrowed from other games and did not attempt to innovate. they left out vital parts of customs games and many other aspects of halo that would consider this game “good.”

I mean… i went back during Reach’s release and played some Halo 3… such different games. Reach seemed so ugly to me. I hated it. Absolutely. Hated. It. I only played it because of the amount of people that played it compared to halo 3.

Now, going back to Reach compared to Halo 4, Reach seems LIGHT YEARS more better and is that much more fun than halo 4. Halo 4 is that POOR of a game to make me love a game that i hated for almost two years.

just two days ago i played Reach for almost six hours, racking up almost six hundred kills. i have never done that in my history of the game. that week prior all i tried to do was play team throwback, or showdown or whatever, the new playlist, and could barely manage to stay online for an hour due to the poor quality. six hours on Reach. SIX. HOURS. i have never spent that much time on Reach and it was that much more fun than halo 4, to me at least.

> They ravaged the art style;
> Yeah, no…
> shattered any mystery surrounding the Forerunners;
> They’ve been revealing more and more about the Forerunners since Halo 3. It was Bungie who decided they’d end Halo 3 floating towards a Forerunner planet, so blame them
> built terrible maps;
> Opinion; I think the maps are fine
> Put a huge amount of resources into a lame at best XBOX Live exclusive bland episodic irrelevant story;
> Opinion again. Also, the story is very relevant
> took forge a step back;
> I share a bit of disappointment in Forge, but only because it didn’t take any steps at all, forward or back. Although the maps could be better
> and RUINED CHIEF, one of the most iconic video game characters ever.
> Because he wasn’t an emotionless, generic drone this time around, no doubt…
>
> Honestly, its pathetic that such a well-funded studio could fail so poorly. This game has been a massive success in every way, actually. Every game is going to disappoint someone, though, even the best ones.
>
> But its genuinely heartbreaking watching such an original, innovative series get turned into Mass Effect of Duty, and I hope 343 really knows that they ruined such a special series.
> Mass Effect? Where on earth does that come from?
>
> Halo 4 sees very playing now, and did not at all take the throne that Call of Duty, in my opinion deservedly, sits on.
> “Halo 4 sees very playing now”, what? And nobody was under any delusion that Halo could dethrone CoD; it would be silly to think so

> One word…or number…
>
>
>
>
> 343.
>
>
>
> that’s what happened. they kind of just borrowed from other games and did not attempt to innovate. they left out vital parts of customs games and many other aspects of halo that would consider this game “good.”
>
> I mean… i went back during Reach’s release and played some Halo 3… such different games. Reach seemed so ugly to me. I hated it. Absolutely. Hated. It. I only played it because of the amount of people that played it compared to halo 3.
>
> Now, going back to Reach compared to Halo 4, Reach seems LIGHT YEARS more better and is that much more fun than halo 4. Halo 4 is that POOR of a game to make me love a game that i hated for almost two years.
>
> just two days ago i played Reach for almost six hours, racking up almost six hundred kills. i have never done that in my history of the game. that week prior all i tried to do was play team throwback, or showdown or whatever, the new playlist, and could barely manage to stay online for an hour due to the poor quality. six hours on Reach. SIX. HOURS. i have never spent that much time on Reach and it was that much more fun than halo 4, to me at least.

I agree, we all saw Reach as bad because it was worse than Halo 3, but since its better than Halo 4, it seems not so bad anymore. Maybe Halo 5 will be so bad that Halo 4 will be good in comparison

> nobody was under any delusion that Halo could dethrone CoD; it would be silly to think so

[/quote]
I did. It should be the best game on the market, period. Need I remind you, CoD once dethroned Halo.

> > nobody was under any delusion that Halo could dethrone CoD; it would be silly to think so
>
> I did. It should be the best game on the market, period. Need I remind you, CoD once dethroned Halo.

CoD has become “the game to play”, deserved or not. There are perhaps dozens of games with much more value to them that are snubbed because CoD is easier, simpler, more “hardcore”, “realistic”, etc.

IMO, there’s going to have to be a mistake on CoD’s end to dethrone it anytime soon, for example, a bad game. If that happens, and if 343 goes all out on Halo 5 when the Nextbox launches, I can see Halo making a possible comeback.

Go all out? They went “all out” on Halo 4 and it’s awful.

> They ravaged the art style;
> Nope
>
> shattered any mystery surrounding the Forerunners;
> It’s been over 10 yrs since Halo was introduced, its about time we start learning about them
>
> sold out in Multiplayer in dozens of ways;
> If you say so
>
> built terrible maps;
> Some are bad but all the previous games had bad maps too. Halo 4’s are pretty good for the most part.
>
> Put a huge amount of resources into a lame at best XBOX Live exclusive bland episodic irrelevant story;
> Nope again.
>
> took forge a step back;
> I don’t forge much but I do check out a lot of Halo vids and I have seen some really cool stuff made with Halo 4’s forge.
>
> and RUINED CHIEF, one of the most iconic video game characters ever.
> Hahahaha no! He wasn’t ruined in the slightest.
>
> Honestly, its pathetic that such a well-funded studio could fail so poorly.
> All the awards, sales and a lot of the review scores say other wise.
>
> ODST and Reach were great supplements to this trilogy, too.
> Likes Reach but hates Halo 4, ok.
>
> But its genuinely heartbreaking watching such an original, innovative series get turned into Mass Effect of Duty, and I hope 343 really knows that they ruined such a special series.
> Once again Halo 4 wasn’t a failure nor did it ruin the series.
>
> And the worst part of it is the fact that 343 COULD have made Halo 4 an amazing game Halo 4 sees very playing now, and did not at all take the throne that Call of Duty, in my opinion deservedly, sits on.
> That wasn’t going to happen any way even if 343i did a Halo 2 remake.
>
> Destiny is going to crush this sad series and put it out of its misery.
> I don’t see why. The two games aren’t even comparable.

> > > nobody was under any delusion that Halo could dethrone CoD; it would be silly to think so
> >
> > I did. It should be the best game on the market, period. Need I remind you, CoD once dethroned Halo.
>
> CoD has become “the game to play”, deserved or not. There are perhaps dozens of games with much more value to them that are snubbed because CoD is easier, simpler, more “hardcore”, “realistic”, etc.
>
> IMO, there’s going to have to be a mistake on CoD’s end to dethrone it anytime soon, for example, a bad game. If that happens, and if 343 goes all out on Halo 5 when the Nextbox launches, I can see Halo making a possible comeback.

Halo 4 went all out. In the way that it is no longer a halo game.

Too beat cod you dont be cod, halo 4 tried to be cod and has failed. Too beat cod you have to be yourself and nothing else. You do not try to out cod cod, you have to out halo cod. And too out halo cod means to actually be what you once were not the thing you are trying to be.

Halo 4 tried different things to mixed results. You can either accept it for what it is or hop off, but please stop rehashing the same tripe. There’s plenty here to enjoy if you’d just play Halo 4 and stop wishing it was something it wasn’t.

If you’re a real fan you’ll accept the game for what it is and trust that 343 will learn from their first game and put outa great Halo 5 experience when the time comes.

> Halo 4 tried different things to mixed results. You can either accept it for what it is or hop off, but please stop rehashing the same tripe. There’s plenty here to enjoy if you’d just play Halo 4 and stop wishing it was something it wasn’t.
>
> If you’re a real fan you’ll accept the game for what it is and trust that 343 will learn from their first game and put outa great Halo 5 experience when the time comes.

Real fans care about what happens to their favorite game series. And that this is 343’s first game is the worst excuse ever. They could have not changed anything from the Bungie code they were given and it would have been WAY better than what they gave us.

> > They ravaged the art style;
> > Yeah, no…
> > shattered any mystery surrounding the Forerunners;
> > They’ve been revealing more and more about the Forerunners since Halo 3. It was Bungie who decided they’d end Halo 3 floating towards a Forerunner planet, so blame them
> > built terrible maps;
> > Opinion; I think the maps are fine
> > Put a huge amount of resources into a lame at best XBOX Live exclusive bland episodic irrelevant story;
> > Opinion again. Also, the story is very relevant
> > took forge a step back;
> > I share a bit of disappointment in Forge, but only because it didn’t take any steps at all, forward or back. Although the maps could be better
> > and RUINED CHIEF, one of the most iconic video game characters ever.
> > Because he wasn’t an emotionless, generic drone this time around, no doubt…
> >
> > Honestly, its pathetic that such a well-funded studio could fail so poorly. This game has been a massive success in every way, actually. Every game is going to disappoint someone, though, even the best ones.
> >
> > But its genuinely heartbreaking watching such an original, innovative series get turned into Mass Effect of Duty, and I hope 343 really knows that they ruined such a special series.
> > Mass Effect? Where on earth does that come from?
> >
> > Halo 4 sees very playing now, and did not at all take the throne that Call of Duty, in my opinion deservedly, sits on.
> > “Halo 4 sees very playing now”, what? And nobody was under any delusion that Halo could dethrone CoD; it would be silly to think so

> > Halo 4 tried different things to mixed results. You can either accept it for what it is or hop off, but please stop rehashing the same tripe. There’s plenty here to enjoy if you’d just play Halo 4 and stop wishing it was something it wasn’t.
> >
> > If you’re a real fan you’ll accept the game for what it is and trust that 343 will learn from their first game and put outa great Halo 5 experience when the time comes.
>
> Real fans care about what happens to their favorite game series. And that this is 343’s first game is the worst excuse ever. They could have not changed anything from the Bungie code they were given and it would have been WAY better than what they gave us.

personal opinion. Mine differes, I enjoy what they gave us very much so.

More “Big Game” than before ? new games and other…

edit: so it make us think otherwise, things are better, others are worse…

The community.

Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

That’s just your opinion.

And playing Halo since Halo 2 won’t help your argument.

More being revealed about the Forerunners on an ancient forerunner made planet!? Say it ain’t so OP! All of your points are opinion at best, but the one about the mystery of the forerunners being shattered as you claim was just so stupid I had to point it out.

I can accept that Halo4 has been created by a “new” company 343i and that 343i/MSN has a new vision/direction it wants to go, altho i cant tell you what that direction is other then to say this …MSN has been trying to buy out Bungie since the days of Halo 2 and that is what they have done …GONE are the days of Bungie Halo, gone are the days of the comical little grunts with their satirical comments about this and that, gone are the days of Campaigns that you could be the Covenant and you had to team up with the flood, gone are the days of great Boss Battles at the end of the Campaigns(Halo4’s ending was a total and absolute let down, my mother who has never picked up a controller could have beat it) … So I can accept it …
WHAT I CANNOT ACCEPT is the major problems that the online MP suffers from …that of LAG, game stall out, Latency, Matchmaking issues, games restarting in the middle of the game but the players don’t know it, etc.
So it boils down to one problem MSN, with all its wealth has decided to have NO dedicated servers, i guess they are too much money, for this game and so what we see, is that NO matter how much we complain or try and enlighten 343, they WILL NOT do a thing about it, hell they dont even respond to the forums, for them it is cheaper and easier to let the community reply to the inquiries of the players even if the info that the “ambassadors” feed back is wrong or unknown, because MSN/xbox live/343i dont care and the bottom line is this …
YOU CAN JUDGE THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF A GAME by the amount of players that played the game when it started Nov.6th to the amount of players that are playing it today. … 400,000+ in Nov > 20,000+ March

> I can accept that Halo4 has been created by a “new” company 343i and that 343i/MSN has a new vision/direction it wants to go, altho i cant tell you what that direction is other then to say this …MSN has been trying to buy out Bungie since the days of Halo 2 and that is what they have done …GONE are the days of Bungie Halo, gone are the days of the comical little grunts with their satirical comments about this and that, gone are the days of Campaigns that you could be the Covenant and you had to team up with the flood, gone are the days of great Boss Battles at the end of the Campaigns(Halo4’s ending was a total and absolute let down, my mother who has never picked up a controller could have beat it) … So I can accept it …
> WHAT I CANNOT ACCEPT is the major problems that the online MP suffers from …that of LAG, game stall out, Latency, Matchmaking issues, games restarting in the middle of the game but the players don’t know it, etc.
> So it boils down to one problem MSN, with all its wealth has decided to have NO dedicated servers, i guess they are too much money, for this game and so what we see, is that NO matter how much we complain or try and enlighten 343, they WILL NOT do a thing about it, hell they dont even respond to the forums, for them it is cheaper and easier to let the community reply to the inquiries of the players even if the info that the “ambassadors” feed back is wrong or unknown, because MSN/xbox live/343i dont care and the bottom line is this …
> YOU CAN JUDGE THE SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF A GAME by the amount of players that played the game when it started Nov.6th to the amount of players that are playing it today. … 400,000+ in Nov > 20,000+ March

2 flaws in your post.

1 ) bungie started out being owned by MS, it was after the success of the halo franchise that they went there own separate way.

1. you say you can judge the success or failure of a game by the drop in population, that is a false statement. You judge success or failure of a game by its over all sales. If people stop playing a game that doesnt make it a failure, 343 is not getting any money from those player if they play or dont play. They already got the money. That makes Halo 4 a success in itself.