What happened to the magic of Halo maps?

What has happened to that unique feel and magic of past Halo maps?

I’m not joining some hate bandwagon here but every halo has had memorable maps
but with H5 it’s like we have crossed over to another franchise and the older traditional style
of the maps we loved has disappeared. Maps like Valhalla, High ground, Narrows, Battle Creek, Guardian, or
even Last resort? those maps that you knew were Gems from the first time you played on them.

I don’t know if its 343 trying to make maps more CQC for faster gameplay or if they just don’t have the
same spark that Bungie had but I personally cannot stand the maps in H5. they just don’t feel like they have their
own story like past maps did and don’t even get me started on those forged maps like “Pegasus”

I hope in future updates we get some classics back or at least some better maps directly created by 343

i agree… i miss the pit, narrows, guardian. Most maps in h5 arent that great… especially rig. I do like coliseum though.

The maps aren’t terrible, they’re just mediocre, and feel as though they’re designed to maximize the use of the new Spartan mobility abilities, rather than maximize the variance and enjoyability of fire-fights.

These maps feel so dense and vertical, it feels like every time you eek out a 1v1 battle or even earn a double or triple kill, you’ve got half a breath before an enemy is turning the corner behind you. It feels like there’s less anticipation and thoughtful tactics than pure reaction and twitch reflexes.

Which, for the record, would be FINE. If it was one flavor of maps in a buffet of multiple experiences. But the number of maps with long sight-lines, open space, and unique layouts and choke-points is so small. Every map in the Arena playlist plays the same.

Give me maps like Sanctuary, Hang’em High, High Ground, give me variety!

In Halo 5, I feel like I’m playing damn near the same experience every game.

> 2533274852269907;2:
> i agree… i miss the pit, narrows, guardian. Most maps in h5 arent that great… especially rig. I do like coliseum though.

yeah coliseum would be the only map in the whole game that even comes close to that Halo feel for me.

like the other guys said all these maps are just so small and suffocating compared to other Halo titles

> 2615706747871287;3:
> The maps aren’t terrible, they’re just mediocre, and feel as though they’re designed to maximize the use of the new Spartan mobility abilities, rather than maximize the variance and enjoyability of fire-fights.
>
> These maps feel so dense and vertical, it feels like every time you eek out a 1v1 battle or even earn a double or triple kill, you’ve got half a breath before an enemy is turning the corner behind you. It feels like there’s less anticipation and thoughtful tactics than pure reaction and twitch reflexes.
>
> Which, for the record, would be FINE. If it was one flavor of maps in a buffet of multiple experiences. But the number of maps with long sight-lines, open space, and unique layouts and choke-points is so small. Every map in the Arena playlist plays the same.
>
> Give me maps like Sanctuary, Hang’em High, High Ground, give me variety!
>
> In Halo 5, I feel like I’m playing damn near the same experience every game.

Yes I agree with this 100%

The magic is still there, you just have to unlock it in a REQ pack.

I mostly play/LOVE BTB. Apparently for 343i it’s the opposite.

Only Bungie made those types of maps.

Its up to the forge community to bring viable maps to the halo community Ive seen some pretty good halo3 remakes in forgehub and even played some myself we need to start shouting for a customgamebrowser so we can start playing more community maps

> 2535414876585185;9:
> Its up to the forge community to bring viable maps to the halo community Ive seen some pretty good halo3 remakes in forgehub and even played some myself we need to start shouting for a customgamebrowser so we can start playing more community maps

They will just be remakes of old bungie maps.

There are already a ton of wonderful remakes from previous halos in halo 5, you can add me and download those maps from my fileshare. I only worked on Hang 'em High, here are a few screenshots of my map:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/3759775
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/3759771

Complete List of all Remakes in my Fileshare:

• Hang 'em High (now called “Hang 'em Higher”) - from Halo 1 - Damnation (now called “Floodgates”) - from Halo 1 - Ice Fields - from Halo 1 - Chill Out - from Halo 1 - Chiron TL 34 - from Halo 1 - Warlock (now called “Warmage”) - from Halo 2 - Beaver Creek - from Halo 2 - Lockout (now called “Rockout” and “Reminiscent”) - from Halo 2 - Sanctuary - from Halo 2 - Ascension - from Halo 2 - Construct (now called “Deconstruction”) - from Halo 3 - Rat’s Nest - from Halo 3 - Sandtrap - from Halo 3 - Guardian (now called “Garden”) - from Halo 3 - Uncaged (now called “Recaged”) - from Halo Reach - Sword Base (now called “Sword Edge”) - from Halo Reach - Boardwalk - from Halo Reach
    I am quite sure you will all enjoy these maps, cheers!

> 2533274905097737;6:
> The magic is still there, you just have to unlock it in a REQ pack.

Yeah it takes 10 reqs to equip and only takes twice as long to get as the dmr. Only available in gold packs. Worth the grind though.

343 happened, unfortunately. While Bungie had their own flaws, they don’t stack up even slightly to 343’s.

> 2533274828509198;11:
> There are already a ton of wonderful remakes from previous halos in halo 5, you can add me and download those maps from my fileshare. I only worked on Hang 'em High, here are a few screenshots of my map:
>
> http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/3759775
> http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Atlantis%20XD/screenshot/3759771
>
> Complete List of all Remakes in my Fileshare:
>
> - Hang 'em High (now called “Hang 'em Higher”) - from Halo 1
> - Damnation (now called “Floodgates”) - from Halo 1
> - Ice Fields - from Halo 1
> - Chill Out - from Halo 1
> - Chiron TL 34 - from Halo 1
> - Warlock (now called “Warmage”) - from Halo 2
> - Beaver Creek - from Halo 2
> - Lockout (now called “Rockout” and “Reminiscent”) - from Halo 2
> - Sanctuary - from Halo 2
> - Ascension - from Halo 2
> - Construct (now called “Deconstruction”) - from Halo 3
> - Rat’s Nest - from Halo 3
> - Sandtrap - from Halo 3
> - Guardian (now called “Garden”) - from Halo 3
> - Uncaged (now called “Recaged”) - from Halo Reach
> - Sword Base (now called “Sword Edge”) - from Halo Reach
> - Boardwalk - from Halo Reach
> I am quite sure you will all enjoy these maps, cheers!

beautiful! simply beautiful

As much as I enjoy Halo 5, I have to agree. But to be fair, a lot of those classics were DLC maps and maybe 343 will see the feedback and make some great maps post-launch.

You can thank sprint/thrust/clamber for such mediocre map designs. I’m not saying Halo has had a flawless map record in the past, but these maps are purposely designed to force you to use those mechanics. Why implement something into a game, if you don’t give the player a reason to use them? As long as these things remain, that magic will be forever gone.

I think 343 is really pushing the competitive scene, a little too much force feeding if you ask me. But I can tell all these maps are designed like paintball maps in a stadium. I agree no map has really stood out. Rig and fathom are my favs in h5, , but, if I took away their atmosphere, the maps would seem rather boring.

They are too concerned about making the maps tourney and even.

I liked how bungies’ maps were well designed for competitive play and could still tell a story. It’s the small things like the broken pods in cold storage that adds intrigue. Halo’s maps used to be fun to explore but now… Eh

> 2533274854386801;17:
> I think 343 is really pushing the competitive scene, a little too much force feeding if you ask me. But I can tell all these maps are designed like paintball maps in a stadium. I agree no map has really stood out. Rig and fathom are my favs in h5, , but, if I took away their atmosphere, the maps would seem rather boring.
>
> They are too concerned about making the maps tourney and even.

Evidently not, because Overgrowth is not even close to even, with Blue spawning next to Shotgun, Camp, Lightrifle and with a good chance at Sword while Red gets a BR…

> 2533274830444029;16:
> You can thank sprint/thrust/clamber for such mediocre map designs. I’m not saying Halo has had a flawless map record in the past, but these maps are purposely designed to force you to use those mechanics. Why implement something into a game, if you don’t give the player a reason to use them? As long as these things remain, that magic will be forever gone.

its a solution looking for a problem or game design using the “wouldnt it be cool if…” design principle.