What happened to playing Halo for fun?

Nowadays, it seems like most of the players in Halo just complain. I mean, do you really need a number beside your name to enjoy a video game. I’m all for what 343 is putting in Halo 4. You know why? Because it looks fun and new (even CTF). If all you can appreciate in a video game is ranking systems and small gameplay mechanics, then you obviously don’t what video games are. Video games are meant to be fun, not taken seriously, hence the GAME in video game. So please, appreciate the whole H4 package, not the small, tiny details, because you’re only going to piss yourself and other people off (especially on these forums). Oh and also, intelligent responses please? Don’t want flamers going nuts without any reasoning.

People with nothing better to do than brag about their stats/rank/whatever in games game along.

MLG happened.

Hey man, how else can I show my success in life if I can’t show off my virtual Halo number?

> People with nothing better to do than brag about their stats/rank/whatever in games game along.

this, all the wannbe “MLG” idiots.

You really need to read the arguments for a visible ranking system. It makes the game more fun because the games are closer and people actually care about winning. There are plenty of other reasons but I don’t feel like typing them all out.

People slowly started to realise that you could say whatever you want over the internet and could pretty much get away with it.

I wish I knew.

> You really need to read the arguments for a visible ranking system. It makes the game more fun because the games are closer and people actually care about winning. There are plenty of other reasons but I don’t feel like typing them all out.

The number being visible doesn’t determine that. You can easily have a game ending at 50/49 with no visible rank just as much as you can end a match 50-3 in a game of people on the same level.

It doesn’t matter if you win or not. It matters if you had a good time playing. I can play a game of BTB with friends in matchmaking and get destroyed, but still laugh and have tons of fun. I think of losing in a game as practise so I can improve my skills and tactics. I think some people just need to learn how to have a great time playing video games.

> It doesn’t matter if you win or not. It matters if you had a good time playing. I can play a game of BTB with friends in matchmaking and get destroyed, but still laugh and have tons of fun. I think of losing in a game as practise so I can improve my skills and tactics. I think some people just need to learn how to have a great time playing video games.

Yes, I find it sad that some people find a video game not to be fun if they lose the match/fail to go positive in K/D.

> Nowadays, it seems like most of the players in Halo just complain. I mean, do you really need a number beside your name to enjoy a video game.

Amen brother. It seems the MLGs or MLG wannabes are simply complaining so much it makes me to not even want to play the game now.

Sad thing is Bungie/343 are caved in/caving in to them and there is no point to doing so. They are such a SMALL percentage of the Halo population.

Anyone that wants to disagree like at Reach. Yes, the game was subpar at best. But all the wannabes flooded the Bungie forums of nerf this, nerf that, do this, do that.

Then Bungie does exactly what was complained about about. Even gives its own MLG hopper and it was soooooo empty even crickets did not go in the room.

343should stick to its guns. Don’t cater to them. And keep their vision of the game they spent years making. I for one am COMPLETELY fine with not visible rank system.

It keeps cheaters and boosters away from killing the fun that could be Halo 4.

It’s a lot more fun playing ranked matches when you’re in a competitive mood especially with a team of friends.

It’s nice to have unranked matches also to practice your skills, warm up, or just mess around. Two different styles of play, both fun.

If you take games with ranking systems like LoL, Starcraft 2, WoW Arenas, and Street Fighter, and said you are removing the ranked system there would be a serious uproar. Part of the reason why these games are so successful are from the ranking system.

If you go on any Street Fighter online. It’s so much harder to get into unranked matches. In Street Fighter 2 you won’t find 1 unranked match but you will get in Ranked Matches immediately. People want the closest competition to their skill level and move up the ranks or divisions.

WoW Arenas, Last time I played was over a year ago, but it was almost impossible to get in unranked matches. I would get in Ranked Arenas instantly. Why? Because people wanted that 2400 rating.

It’s the same thing with Halo, Just because they have ranked playlists doesn’t mean I won’t play socials, I have fun during both, but when i’m with a team of friends and in a competitive mood I have the most fun trying to improve my rank in the Ranked playlists.

> > Nowadays, it seems like most of the players in Halo just complain. I mean, do you really need a number beside your name to enjoy a video game.
>
> Amen brother. It seems the MLGs or MLG wannabes are simply complaining so much it makes me to not even want to play the game now.
>
> <mark>Sad thing is Bungie/343 are caved in/caving in to them and there is no point to doing so. They are such a SMALL percentage of the Halo population.</mark>
>
> Anyone that wants to disagree like at Reach. Yes, the game was subpar at best. But all the wannabes flooded the Bungie forums of nerf this, nerf that, do this, do that.
>
> Then Bungie does exactly what was complained about about. Even gives its own MLG hopper and it was soooooo empty even crickets did not go in the room.
>
> 343should stick to its guns. Don’t cater to them. And keep their vision of the game they spent years making. I for one am COMPLETELY fine with not visible rank system.
>
> <mark>It keeps cheaters and boosters away from killing the fun that could be Halo 4.</mark>

Highlight 1
I’m sorry to say but more people want ranking systems on any competitive online game then don’t. They are not the minority.

Like I said in my last post. Take away Ranks from a game like LoL or Starcraft 2, you honestly think a majority of the people who play those games won’t care?

Highlight 2
Cheaters and boosters are in every game. Ever play CoD? No ranking system and the most cheaters and boosters I have ever seen in any game.

What ranked playlists give me, are more people concerned with the win, less stat padders, less people betraying for rockets and more people using mic’s. Unranked A lot less people care about the win, a lot more team killing, and only care about personal stats.

Why can’t there just be both playlists…?

Microsoft should honestly bow to MLG for all of the free advertisement they’ve given this series. They’ve helped keep it alive. I love it how someone can post a thread like this which is openly flaming rank advocates and get away with it. All of you are so single-minded. Have you ever heard that there are different interpretations of fun? Not everybody has fun in the same way. News flash: people are individuals. I’m a highly competitive individual in all aspects of my life. As a result, the competitive drive of the ranking system is what made Halo fun for me. It’s not so difficult to understand, really. You see, people have personalities. We are not all you.

Good day.

> Nowadays, it seems like most of the players in Halo just complain. I mean, do you really need a number beside your name to enjoy a video game. I’m all for what 343 is putting in Halo 4. You know why? Because it looks fun and new (even CTF). If all you can appreciate in a video game is ranking systems and small gameplay mechanics, then you obviously don’t what video games are. <mark>Video games are meant to be fun, not taken seriously,</mark>

Okay, stop right there. That’s where your argument falls apart.

Only a shallow person would want people to stop taking something they enjoy seriously. Video Games deserve to be taken seriously, and that won’t make them less fun.

The Internet happened.

> The Internet happened.

More like the evolution of Man and one’s goal to prove dominance over one another happened.

> You really need to read the arguments for a visible ranking system. It makes the game more fun because the games are closer and people actually care about winning. There are plenty of other reasons but I don’t feel like typing them all out.

The games can be close with an invisible ranking system.

The problem can be that people don’t care about winning directly. What they care about is the number, not winning per se. Now, the straightforward conclusion is that the number is primarily affected by wins and losses, so it’s the same thing, right? But that’s not what we saw in Halo 3. Under some circumstances, because of the number, people may choose to quit instead, people choose to hold the objective, or play lone wolf instead of teammates, or alter their matchmaking settings to manipulate who they get matched with, or create new accounts to get the rush of rising fast in numbers again, and on and on.