What Happened to Halo's Great Music

Listening back on the old soundtracks makes me realize how poor and bad these new soundtracks are. Just listen to these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5HoNsuToEU&list=PLMpVn_HdBGurcRAMVHJA0DHBoOei7ggUR&index=13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUO3Ivl5RA8&list=PLMpVn_HdBGurcRAMVHJA0DHBoOei7ggUR&index=12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubIBKg9xAso&index=10&list=PLMpVn_HdBGurcRAMVHJA0DHBoOei7ggUR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHDCbrMyOp8&list=PLMpVn_HdBGurcRAMVHJA0DHBoOei7ggUR&index=7
I can specifically remember when these music pieces appear as soon as I hear the first instrument playing and I’m sure most of you can

Now listen to these ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8EQVWRspc&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGegEFRoT46x1vGynJMJh69l&index=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbc9zKHbaBM&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGegEFRoT46x1vGynJMJh69l&index=28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcWeI8tGvUc&index=18&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGegEFRoT46x1vGynJMJh69l
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCGStGPfdc&list=PL0dqWRYwKNGegEFRoT46x1vGynJMJh69l&index=3
How many of these can you remember?

I believe the problem lies in a few areas. One being the fact that during the early music pieces the events taking place during the time the songs came out were more memorable. The other issue is that the new art pieces use instruments that are foreign to Halo (especially the stupid techno). I wanna hear the violins, the monks, the harps, etc, Im not saying that the new installments don’t use these instruments im just saying the foreign instruments really disrupt the music. These new songs just dont have the same vibe I don’t know, that might just be me though…

Also just in case some of you dont know where these songs are from here they are

1st link: Regret (Halo 2) When youre fighting off hordes of enemies whilst slowly making your way across the lake with a gondala

2nd link: Halo 2 reveal and Outskirts Cutscene (Halo 2) You are about to land on earth for the first time in the series and you see a big -Yoink- spider looking thing that shoots you down.(Scarab)

3rd link: Two Betrayls and Truth And Reconciliation. (Halo CE) After you exit the tunnel and see and epic battle take place between the flood and covenant or sneaking around with a sniper and pwning covenant scrubs

4th link: Uprising (Halo 2) The covenant is in turmoil and the elites have been betrayed, you gather and build an army and show the brutes who’s boss.

5th link: Halo 5 opening cinematic. Explosions are everywhere and osiris team seems badass

6th link: ? I honesly have no clue

7th link: ? Again I have no clue

8th link: ? Boy these songs arent that great…

HALO 4, SPARTAN STRIKE, and SPARTAN ASSAULT don’t have the classic feel.

HALO 5’s soundtrack is definitely on the way back to the CE and 2 feel. Listen to “Halo Canticles” (Opening Suite mix), “The Trials” (Halo Theme+117), and “Scavengers” (117+Ghosts of Reach) to get a feel of the classic tunes. “That might just be me though…”

> 2535460810182211;3:
> HALO 4, SPARTAN STRIKE, and SPARTAN ASSAULT don’t have the classic feel.
>
> HALO 5’s soundtrack is definitely on the way back to the CE and 2 feel. Listen to “Halo Canticles” (Opening Suite mix), “The Trials” (Halo Theme+117), and “Scavengers” (117+Ghosts of Reach) to get a feel of the classic tunes. “That might just be me though…”

I thought the same thing about Halo 5 with the “its on the way back” statement but it still doesnt even stand close compared to the classics.

> 2535460810182211;3:
> HALO 4, SPARTAN STRIKE, and SPARTAN ASSAULT don’t have the classic feel.
>
> HALO 5’s soundtrack is definitely on the way back to the CE and 2 feel. Listen to “Halo Canticles” (Opening Suite mix), “The Trials” (Halo Theme+117), and “Scavengers” (117+Ghosts of Reach) to get a feel of the classic tunes. “That might just be me though…”

Also these songs are all remixes of previous master pieces, although even then “Scavengers” still sounds a bit wonky ( I really dont like the techno stuff). “The Trials” is top notch though, I think it improved over the original version.

here you go

Most of the songs composed by Neil Davidge weren’t very good or Halo-like. The only pieces from 4 that were good (in my opinion) were Arrival, To Galaxy, and 117, which wasn’t even composed by Neil. The way Kazuma Jinnouchi is taking the sondtrack is much better, and feels more like Halo.

Kazuma Jinnouchi is doing a MUCH better job at following in Marty’s footsteps. Neil Davidge’s music wasn’t bad (I liked ‘To Galaxy’) but it missed the mark on a ‘Halo’ soundtrack. Jinnouchi is an excellent harmony between O’Donnell’s orchestral overtones while using a bit of those electric/synthesized Davidge sounds that add a futuristic flare to the music. I think his soundtrack is very good, not as good as O’Donnell, but up in that ballpark. It’s music I can lay in bed and listen to!

Arrival was pretty good imo (even better with that e-guitar that someone did, my word) same with Atonement, but halo 5 sure does have a lack of monk chanting

Halo 2… On another halo ring… fighting through the jungle, kicking butt… Cortana starts talking about the crazy huge lake in the distance with the gondola’s… the song Peril starts to play! That soundtrack mixed with adventure and discovery… PERFECT!!

> 2533274881560701;8:
> Kazuma Jinnouchi is doing a MUCH better job at following in Marty’s footsteps. Neil Davidge’s music wasn’t bad (I liked ‘To Galaxy’) but it missed the mark on a ‘Halo’ soundtrack. Jinnouchi is an excellent harmony between O’Donnell’s orchestral overtones while using a bit of those electric/synthesized Davidge sounds that add a futuristic flare to the music. I think his soundtrack is very good, not as good as O’Donnell, but up in that ballpark. It’s music I can lay in bed and listen to!

Again I agree Kazuma is doing a great job (or at least better than Neal) but his stuff doesnt even come close to O’Donnel.

I think we need a combo of the new and old, I really like the way the newer music sounds, but I do think it does not have that classic feel.

The best way I can think of it is, take the part in the Halo 5s “Blue Team” OST, the part where all the instruments build up and give out a large slow, dramatic remake of 117 from Halo 4, now, taking the ques from that part, switch it out with the classic monk sounding echos from the beginning of the classic main theme, but instead of the chorus, have it be instrumental.

The Trials is a great one from the Halo 5 soundtrack.Blends all the classic feels from the other soundtracks

> 2533274867266391;2:
> Also just in case some of you dont know where these songs are from here they are
>
>
>
>
>
> 1st link: Regret (Halo 2) When youre fighting off hordes of enemies whilst slowly making your way across the lake with a gondala
>
> 2nd link: Halo 2 reveal and Outskirts Cutscene (Halo 2) You are about to land on earth for the first time in the series and you see a big -Yoink- spider looking thing that shoots you down.(Scarab)
>
> 3rd link: Two Betrayls and Truth And Reconciliation. (Halo CE) After you exit the tunnel and see and epic battle take place between the flood and covenant or sneaking around with a sniper and pwning covenant scrubs
>
> 4th link: Uprising (Halo 2) The covenant is in turmoil and the elites have been betrayed, you gather and build an army and show the brutes who’s boss.
>
> 5th link: Halo 5 opening cinematic. Explosions are everywhere and osiris team seems badass
>
> 6th link: ? I honesly have no clue
>
> 7th link: ? Again I have no clue
>
> 8th link: ? Boy these songs arent that great…
>

all three of the links have names. I find it insulting how you put down your favorite songs yet when you try to compare the ones you don’t like, you don’t give their names. Honestly I find the ones you don’t like actually pretty decent. You have to remember that some of these tracks take effect " Within the moment ". such as Siren Song.

Otherwise yes, some of the Halo songs ( including some of the previous Halo tracks ) don’t sound that great when your just listening to them alone.

> 2533274973685362;14:
> > 2533274867266391;2:
> > Also just in case some of you dont know where these songs are from here they are
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 1st link: Regret (Halo 2) When youre fighting off hordes of enemies whilst slowly making your way across the lake with a gondala
> >
> > 2nd link: Halo 2 reveal and Outskirts Cutscene (Halo 2) You are about to land on earth for the first time in the series and you see a big -Yoink- spider looking thing that shoots you down.(Scarab)
> >
> > 3rd link: Two Betrayls and Truth And Reconciliation. (Halo CE) After you exit the tunnel and see and epic battle take place between the flood and covenant or sneaking around with a sniper and pwning covenant scrubs
> >
> > 4th link: Uprising (Halo 2) The covenant is in turmoil and the elites have been betrayed, you gather and build an army and show the brutes who’s boss.
> >
> > 5th link: Halo 5 opening cinematic. Explosions are everywhere and osiris team seems badass
> >
> > 6th link: ? I honesly have no clue
> >
> > 7th link: ? Again I have no clue
> >
> > 8th link: ? Boy these songs arent that great…
> >

>
>
> all three of the links have names. I find it insulting how you put down your favorite songs yet when you try to compare the ones you don’t like, you don’t give their names. Honestly I find the ones you don’t like actually pretty decent. You have to remember that some of these tracks take effect " Within the moment ". such as Siren Song.
>
> Otherwise yes, some of the Halo songs ( including some of the previous Halo tracks ) don’t sound that great when your just listening to them alone.

I actually tried to find songs that were somewhat recognizable, but I honestly couldn’t find any besides the first one. None of the H5 songs rang off the top of my head. Give me any HCE or H2 song and I can tell you where it comes out and at what part.(Without looking up of course) Oh and those arent my favorite songs just some that came to mind. I tried using less popular songs when I searched up the “classic” songs. (Notice how I didnt use unforgotten).

> 2533274973685362;14:
> > 2533274867266391;2:
> > Also just in case some of you dont know where these songs are from here they are
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 1st link: Regret (Halo 2) When youre fighting off hordes of enemies whilst slowly making your way across the lake with a gondala
> >
> > 2nd link: Halo 2 reveal and Outskirts Cutscene (Halo 2) You are about to land on earth for the first time in the series and you see a big -Yoink- spider looking thing that shoots you down.(Scarab)
> >
> > 3rd link: Two Betrayls and Truth And Reconciliation. (Halo CE) After you exit the tunnel and see and epic battle take place between the flood and covenant or sneaking around with a sniper and pwning covenant scrubs
> >
> > 4th link: Uprising (Halo 2) The covenant is in turmoil and the elites have been betrayed, you gather and build an army and show the brutes who’s boss.
> >
> > 5th link: Halo 5 opening cinematic. Explosions are everywhere and osiris team seems badass
> >
> > 6th link: ? I honesly have no clue
> >
> > 7th link: ? Again I have no clue
> >
> > 8th link: ? Boy these songs arent that great…
> >

>
>
> all three of the links have names. I find it insulting how you put down your favorite songs yet when you try to compare the ones you don’t like, you don’t give their names. Honestly I find the ones you don’t like actually pretty decent. You have to remember that some of these tracks take effect " Within the moment ". such as Siren Song.
>
> Otherwise yes, some of the Halo songs ( including some of the previous Halo tracks ) don’t sound that great when your just listening to them alone.

Also I never named any of the tracks even for the classic songs.

The Halo 2 guitar theme I still play while on Halo 5

I tell you tho when I heard the remix of the original halo soundtrack when Cortana and warden are talking to you on the 3rd last mission I think?, it just felt legendary.