What happened 343i?????!

I love Halo. I played with my dad 11 YEARS ago fighting the aliens hordes for the first time. I anticipated Halo 2, I longed for Halo 3. I gained ideas, hopes, fun, enjoyment out of these games for so many years. Halo Reach also was enjoyable.
And here’s Halo 4. I waited for the midnight release, bought the largest package for the game, promoted it to all my friends! I waited so long for the Chief to come back…to play Halo…Campaign is awesome… But Halo is not Halo anymore.
I feel betrayed…I sat here today with my friends I played with for YEARS on Halo not being able to play the game that made me invest so much money and time. I DISPISE how Halo is now a game for all the people who just want to win and kill and shoot now. All the little kids and jerks. I cannot play this game anymore and be happy online. I cannot even make my own version of Halo 4 with my friends due to how every gametype IS LOCKED AND WILL NOT ALLOW WEAPONS TO SPAWN ON CUSTOM GAMES. Also, there is now not enough gametypes to even allow creative ability. I DISPISE Infinity Slayer. I just want a slayer like Halo…You spawn with a assault rifle and a pistol and two grenades…you run around trying to help your team and get the power weapons…Classic…old Halo… Not this…generic shooter…

What Happened… This awesome franchise is still awesome but, Broken. It’s not a continuation of the games I have played. It’s different. And I dislike it. Not for being it’s own game but how it claims the franchises name and does not fit. It’s a lie. Its not the Halo I waited for. It most likely will be my last.

For people like me…at least a lot. This Halo is the last. If this is what 343i wanted… getting rid of the old community… they succeeded. Good job. Thanks for taking what I loved away. what a lot of us loved away.

“Halo” means different things to different people. As the franchise grows and evolves, it will come closer to some people’s definition of “Halo”, but, unfortunately, it will move further from others’ definition of “Halo”. This is something that has happened with every Halo game since the original Combat Evolved, though the trend is more pronounced in recent days, since recent games have changed more dramatically.

I’m just a volunteer, not a 343i employee, but I’m sorry to hear that you’re not enjoying the newer games. I can’t imagine what it’d be like to have something awesome for over a decade, only for it to become something I couldn’t enjoy.

> I cannot even make my own version of Halo 4 with my friends due to how every gametype IS LOCKED AND WILL NOT ALLOW WEAPONS TO SPAWN ON CUSTOM GAMES. Also, there is now not enough gametypes to even allow creative ability.

For what it’s worth, they are aware of the problems with Custom Games, and have been monitoring the community’s feedback thread on that subject. 343i’s been busy working on several issues, so I don’t know if any fixes will come soon, but it might be worth checking back every month or so. :\

Just because other games change does not mean Halo should have.

I know how you feel op, this is the second game this year that ive played for 8+ years suddenly change and im no longer able to recognize it. (this year being last year when halo 4 was actually released)

Honestly this game could benefit hugely from a classic playlist that doesn’t have all the fluff that 343 has decided to add.

> Just because other games change does not mean Halo should have.

Games that fail to change grow stale. The Call of Duty series is often criticized on this very forum for its relatively static gameplay.

> > Just because other games change does not mean Halo should have.
>
> Games that fail to change grow stale. The Call of Duty series is often criticized on this very forum for its relatively static gameplay.

While i do agree games that dont change grow stale, but games that change the core of what it once was will fail (imo). Changing the core of what the game once was isolates the current fans, and fails to draw in new crowds because they already have there game of choice.

> While i do agree games that dont change grow stale, but games that change the core of what it once was will fail (imo). Changing the core of what the game once was isolates the current fans, and fails to draw in new crowds because they already have there game of choice.

Good point.

I realize I’m stepping into opinion-based territory, but Halo 4’s core seems to match more closely with Halo 3 than the oft-disliked Reach. It feels like loadouts, armor modifications, and the like were added onto (and slightly integrated into) gameplay that borrows its speed, physics, pace, and more from Halo 3.

Of course, some higher-level core mechanics, such as map control and weapon timing, are diminished by the new additions. The low-level core seems unaffected, though.

> “Halo” means different things to different people. As the franchise grows and evolves, it will come closer to some people’s definition of “Halo”, but, unfortunately, it will move further from others’ definition of "Halo

The Halo 4 population, only a couple of months after release, is a small proportion of what it was in the first week or two. It hovers around what? 100k each day?

Comparing that to the number of sales of the game and there’s a small minority, using the quote above, that prefer this Halo.

Maybe that’s an indication that Halo really shouldn’t be growing and evolving this way?

Just a thought.

Rather than playing a Halo 3 reskin, you could play Halo 3.

Change isn’t a bad thing, it can feel jarring and disorientating at times but many people do like some the changes in Halo 4.

The best part about the Xbox, is that there are so many great games you can play!

> > While i do agree games that dont change grow stale, but games that change the core of what it once was will fail (imo). Changing the core of what the game once was isolates the current fans, and fails to draw in new crowds because they already have there game of choice.
>
> Good point.
>
> I realize I’m stepping into opinion-based territory, but Halo 4’s core seems to match more closely with Halo 3 than the oft-disliked Reach. It feels like loadouts, armor modifications, and the like were added onto (and slightly integrated into) gameplay that borrows its speed, physics, pace, and more from Halo 3.
>
> Of course, some higher-level core mechanics, such as map control and weapon timing, are diminished by the new additions. The low-level core seems unaffected, though.

This is how I feel about Halo 4 right now, almost to a tee. The core running, jumping, strafing, and shooting feels so good. It seems a lot of people are having issues with some of the added features, particularly the way ordnance is handled. Oh, and the freaking boltshot… ugh. I don’t know; I guess ignorance is bliss. I’m loving this game right now. If they do right with the TU and new upcoming playlists it could really be phenomenal.

> > While i do agree games that dont change grow stale, but games that change the core of what it once was will fail (imo). Changing the core of what the game once was isolates the current fans, and fails to draw in new crowds because they already have there game of choice.
>
> Good point.
>
> I realize I’m stepping into opinion-based territory, but Halo 4’s core seems to match more closely with Halo 3 than the oft-disliked Reach. It feels like loadouts, armor modifications, and the like were added onto (and slightly integrated into) gameplay that borrows its speed, physics, pace, and more from Halo 3.
>
> Of course, some higher-level core mechanics, such as map control and weapon timing, are diminished by the new additions. The low-level core seems unaffected, though.

Low level core yes, it does feel more similar then reach did (which was not a bad game for being a spin off and bungie being sick of making halo). But the core is cluttered up in my opinion. Me personally i hate classed based shooters, and they feel shoved into halo. It feels like they dont belong at all and were only done to make it appeal to more people.

This game could really benefit if 343 actually implemented social/ranked playlists similar to h3. Social playlists would have the fluff as i love to call it, ranked wouldnt. Appeal to both competitive that like non random factors and a fair start, as well as the broader audience that they were hoping to attract.

And hey isnt this all opinion-based territory, thats basically all this forum is.

Also this is a bit off topic but id like to say sorry for that thread a few days ago if you even remember it.

> > “Halo” means different things to different people. As the franchise grows and evolves, it will come closer to some people’s definition of “Halo”, but, unfortunately, it will move further from others’ definition of "Halo
>
> The Halo 4 population, only a couple of months after release, is a small proportion of what it was in the first week or two. It hovers around what? 100k each day?
>
> Comparing that to the number of sales of the game and there’s a small minority, using the quote above, that prefer this Halo.
>
> Maybe that’s an indication that Halo really shouldn’t be growing and evolving this way?
>
> Just a thought.

Oh you mean the massive population that makes this the 3rd most played XLBA title? Right behind CoD and Minecraft? (Minecraft FTW)

Or perhaps you would prefer if Halo became more like CoD? After all that is the current most popular game.

Pretty much, the Halo 4 population is quite large and the game has proven to be very successful.

Maybe that’s an indication that Hallo really should be growing and evolving this way?

Just a thought.

I think what you’re seeing is the fact that 343i is taking their own views of what the Halo experience is to them, and applying it to the decisions they are making about the mechanics of this game, and what it should be for us.

Look at the customization and sharing ability of previous Halo titles. And with each installment it grew and provided more options.

What it seems like they completely overlooked was the fact that we could take Halo and choose what path we wanted to take. Customs? Action Sack? Swat? Slayer? Objective? It’s all there.

It allowed a large and diverse group to play and enjoy this game IN THEIR OWN WAY. Let’s face it, your generic COD shooter already exists. 10 times over. Now we’re getting the generic COD shooter with a Halo skin.

These decisions would all function and be able to exist if we still had options. This is why I keep harping about these rotational playlists. It’s just one more way that we’ve lost the ability to choose what we want to play. Well depending on the week anyway. Which is just not ok. They should be trying to find ways to reach as many people as possible, not eliminate the enjoyment of different players weekly.

They are doing it the way they think we should play, rather than letting us play the way we want to. That is what is really angering people who just wanna play the damn game. I’ll say it again tonight. I’m here watching these forums for some sort of direction here. I’m not logged in playing the game. It’s too damn boring. And pretty soon I’m gonna stop this too, cause this is looking like a waste of time. I haven’t played Bioshock yet, been wanting to. Need to finish Red Dead Redemption. Got plenty of games to play. It’s hard to let go of a 10 year favorite, but this is goofy coming here and posting for nothing, and this can’t continue either. Oh well.

> > > “Halo” means different things to different people. As the franchise grows and evolves, it will come closer to some people’s definition of “Halo”, but, unfortunately, it will move further from others’ definition of "Halo
> >
> > The Halo 4 population, only a couple of months after release, is a small proportion of what it was in the first week or two. It hovers around what? 100k each day?
> >
> > Comparing that to the number of sales of the game and there’s a small minority, using the quote above, that prefer this Halo.
> >
> > Maybe that’s an indication that Halo really shouldn’t be growing and evolving this way?
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> Oh you mean the massive population that makes this the 3rd most played XLBA title? Right behind CoD and Minecraft? (Minecraft FTW)
>
> Or perhaps you would prefer if Halo became more like CoD? After all that is the current most popular game.
>
> Pretty much, the Halo 4 population is quite large and the game has proven to be very successful.
>
> Maybe that’s an indication that Hallo really should be growing and evolving this way?
>
> Just a thought.

Firstly, I could do without the sarcasm. But whatever rocks your boat. Feel better for it?

Anyway, you should check your figures my friend…that’s if you’ve bothered to have a look in the first place before making those assertions.

Nope, I hate COD. In my eyes it isn’t skill based at all. Not at my level of play anyway. Whoever see’s who first wins the fight. To be fair though I have always enjoyed the campaigns.

I just think Halo 4 is too…busy. Only word I can come up with. AA’s, specializations etc. There’s just too much stuff. Instead of improving the game it diminishes it. There’s no flow.

But while in MM they’ve added too many things they’ve also removed too many things in the other side of the game. Namely forge and custom game options.

To be fair to 343 they’ve tried out new things. Evolution of anything always involves stretching boundaries to see what works and what doesn’t. But the bad decision of not having a public beta left them wide open to the type of negative feedback they’re receiving all over the forums.

The maps created for release are just meh. The only decent one, funnily enough, is a remake.

Of course that last is just my opinion. I just don’t enjoy it as it stands. At all. I liked CE, 2 and 3. I also Enjoyed Reach once they’d reduced the bloom. Even with it’s points based ranks.

I also miss fire fight. Playing a fire fight level over and over again doesn’t get as old as playing a Spartan Ops level over and over again. There’s no longevity to Spartan Ops.

But the most frustrating thing to me personally is that I could see this being played a lot more by myself and my friends (we’ve discussed this at length) if we had a playlist that had no sprint, no AA’s. Basically a vanilla playlist. Because without all the extra toppings this could be a very good game. And that’s what frustrates me the most. I can see the potential but I don’t enjoy basically playing a beta. 343 said there would be no public beta but that’s pretty much what we’ve got on our hands here. Fine, they said they wish they could have done better but they also made a lot of promises regarding the game. Are you happy when someone promises you something and then doesn’t deliver?

I’m a casual player. Granted I like to win matches but what fps gamer doesn’t? If you didn’t really want to win why would you play a points based game? So aiming this more toward the casual crowd (removal of in-game ranks) makes no sense to me based upon the above. I like something to aspire to. Just getting exp to rank up gives me no sense of achievement. Having aspirations in the game help give the game longevity. Yes, I know, you have armours to go after and things like that but those will just come with time. Not through self-achievement.

When I see gamers, from all over the world, competitive and casual gamers alike using words like ‘betrayed’ and phrases like ‘you’ve let us down’ I have to wonder if 343 realise that a lot of us consider the Halo franchise not just a series of games but a journey. It’s more to us than just another installment. We’re actively caught up in it’s own unique universe.

Just my thoughts.