What Halo Infinite has to do right

Halo has taken a few bumps in the road for a few years with Halo 4, Halo MCC and Halo 5. Here’s what I think Halo Infinite should learn from the past mistakes.

1. It should not have Spartan abilities permanent like Halo 5, it should be optional items you can find around maps.

2. Sprint is a controversial topic so if they include sprint it should be like Halo Reach where you can pick it up as an item or Halo 5 where your shield won’t recharge if you sprint.

3. Halo 5 lacked customization for Spartans. It should have a customization system like Halo Reach.

4. It NEEDS to have an amazing story and fix the problems Halo 5’s story had and explain things well.

5. Warzone should return and have new boss battles like Master Chief, Arbiter, the Flood, Atriox. Remove the REQ system entirely.

6. Halo 5 lacked content at launch so Halo Infinite NEEDS all the content at launch.

7. Have better boss battles for the campaign because Halo 5 had the Warden Eternal scrapped 6 or 7 times and no other interesting fights. It should have an Atriox, Locke and a Cortana boss battle!

8. Realistic Multiplayer armor and not ridiculous armor like Halo 4 and 5.

9. Bring back the option for teammates to revive you if you’re down in the campaign but this time have good AI because in Halo 5 the AI was a problem.

10. BRING BACK SPLIT-SCREEN. This is so important to Halo whether you like it or not. But it was confirmed already it will return.

11. Have an epic moment in the final part of the last mission. Halo 4 and 5 the last part in those final levels felt poor. In Halo 4 you had a QTE and you beat the game and Halo 5 you just had to walk and you beat the game. I want to feel like a badass escaping in a warthog while awesome music plays in those final parts like I did with Halo 1 and 3.

12. Give us those emotional scenes in the campaign like Halo 3 and 4.

13. Have the Chief have personality like in Halo 4 cause imo 343 did a better job with MC then Bungie did. Bungie treated the Chief like the silent type and badass killing machine but 343 treated him as just a human. I would like them to combine the two. Have it when characters are talking to Chief in gameplay he doesn’t respond because the characters aren’t talking to Chief they’re talking to YOU the player then have Chief talk in cutscenes. Also have Chief be a badass in cutscenes and gameplay.

14. Forge must be as amazing as Halo 5’s forge if not better, it should be there at launch too.

15. New wild life in the game.

16. Have Chief and Arbiter work together like in Halo 3 again.

17. New enemies.

18. Bring back old enemies.

19. Bring back playable Elites.

I don’t expect 343 to do ALL these things but I expect a lot of them. I hope they learned from their mistakes. What do you guys think?

I think the key thing they need to get right is to completely overhaul the game mechanisms and level design. Don’t remove what makes Halo Halo, but please, stop plagiarizing yourselves. Halo pretty much has always been the same game made over and over again. It wasn’t so evident/bad in the first 3 games, but it became obvious at each new game, ODST, Reach, 4, 5 (at least from what I understand, I haven’t played 5). I still liked ODST and Reach, but it pained me to realize how derivative they were.I always thought (and said) that part of this was because of Halo’s engine which they always only updated, rather than make a new one from scratch. That meant that the key limitations of the engine remained. That meant they couldn’t go too far off the original Halo experience and hence we got the very same games over and over again. With a new engine, they truly can do a fresh start. Don’t mess that up please!

Another important point is the length of the missions. 4 got it better than Reach I must say, they really need to stay clear of the fast missions where you don’t even have time to feel in there and part of the adventure, but more like watching a movie. I mean, I always loved in Halo CE when you’d first be stranded on the Halo ring, trying to rescue all the stranded marines and defending against wave after wave of enemies. The area was big and you really felt like being stranded yourself in there. In Reach everything happened so fast that by the moment you were enjoying yourself, it was over already. A couple of ideas:

1. HUGE mission areas. But please, NO sandbox environment. Sandbox environments are always at least a notch under true mission areas designed specifically for the occasion. You could call what I hope to be “pseudo-sandbox” level design. Make it huge so that you can get lost in it and explore it, and also so you can approach any situation from as many angles as possible, so you can be inventive and improvise on the go. In every Halo game, there was often several ways to approach a situation, but you generally had 2, max 3 obvious choices. Otherwise it was all variations on a theme. That’s no bad in itself, but we need something more.

2. Vehicles. Huge areas mean it’s a good occasion to go all in. More vehicles, more ways to destroy them and survive in them. Different type of vehicles for long-term fights and transport. Add water vehicles too. Let’s use more of the environment for exciting fights. Put lakes and rivers in there, so there’s interaction across different types of terrain. Expand air environments too, expand the vertical size.

In other words, make things more dynamic. Halo has a lot of potential, the basic mechanism is there and is top notch. They just need to expand it beyond the rigid structure.

EDIT: I mostly agree with OP, but I must disagree about the Chief, and emotional storyline. I think Halo 4’s story was pretty poor and cringe-worthy. Halo has never had an emotional story (at least until recently), and I think in general video game writers are pretty poor at doing this, never going beyond the cheesy and cringy. Halo is about freaking killing aliens and stopping them from destroying humanity, you don’t have much cheaper of a storyline than this. Bungie managed to make it interesting and “cool”, and that’s great, I loved it. But this is certainly not high art, let it stay that way. As much as I love deep action (or not) movies, I wouldn’t change movies like Commando or Predator. I certainly wouldn’t try to make them “intelligent” and “emotional”. If they want a deep story, they have to make a TRUE deep story. Not just posing.

1. It should not have Spartan abilities permanent like Halo 5, it should be optional like Halo Reach and Halo 4.
    I disagree. One of Halo’s trademarks is fair starts. I do not want anything resembling a class system in arena.

2. Sprint is a controversial topic so if they include sprint it should be like Halo Reach where you can pick it up as an item or Halo 5 where your shield won’t recharge if you sprint.
    Again, absolutely not.

3. Halo 5 lacked customization for Spartans. It should have a customization system like Halo Reach.
    Yes, absolutely. If they copy + pasted Reach’s customization I think most people would love it. Except for the special effect-type stuff.

4. It NEEDS to have an amazing story and fix the problems Halo 5’s story had and explain things well.
    Yes, the campaign needs a lot of work. Thankfully, I don’t think 343 is treating Infinite as the third part of a trilogy as much as they are the next part of the sage. So they don’t have to cram a ton of story into Infinite to fix the story.

5. Warzone should return and have new boss battles like Master Chief, Arbiter, the Flood, Atriox. Remove the REQ system entirely.
    Boss battles definitely need improvement. I’m not sure about fighting the Chief and/or Arby though. Hate it or love it, I think the reality is that micro-transactions will be in Infinite. Until the government cracks down on loot boxes, publishers are going to make their money. And that’s a Microsoft decision most likely, not a 343 decision.

6. Halo 5 lacked content at launch so Halo Infinite NEEDS all the content at launch.
    For sure, send us a complete game. Social (with Infection and developer-made BTB maps), Ranked, and Warzone (or it’s replacement). I don’t play Infection, but people love it. Give the people what they want. Also, a working theater. Polish the game. The glitches/bugs in Halo 5 are still excessive in my mind.

7. Have better boss battles for the campaign because Halo 5 had the Warden Eternal scrapped 6 or 7 times and no other interesting fights. It should have an Atriox, Locke and a Cortana boss battle!
    I agree, either do boss battles right or just skip them entirely. I’m fine with scrapping them.

8. Realistic Multiplayer armor and not ridiculous armor like Halo 4 and 5.
    What?! You don’t love Seeker?! Yeah I agree, good armor. Gritty.

9. Bring back the option for teammates to revive you if you’re down in the campaign but this time have good AI because in Halo 5 the AI was a problem.
    I’m not sure I want a revive system. The squad-based thing was a pain. And I’m not sure it’s realistic to make the AI that much better.

10. BRING BACK SPLIT-SCREEN. This is so important to Halo whether you like it or not. But it was confirmed already it will return.
    We’ll see if it’s 2 or 4 player.

11. Have an epic moment in the final part of the last mission. Halo 4 and 5 the last part in those final levels felt poor. In Halo 4 you had a QTE and you beat the game and Halo 5 you just had to walk and you beat the game. I want to feel like a badass escaping in a warthog while awesome music plays in those final parts like I did with Halo 1 and 3.
    I agree, more time of the player in control.

12. Give us those emotional scenes in the campaign like Halo 3 and 4.
    For sure, Halo 4’s story was awesome then Halo 5 was completely flat and void of any emotional connection.

13. Have the Chief have personality like in Halo 4 cause imo 343 did a better job with MC then Bungie did. Bungie treated the Chief like the silent type and badass killing machine but 343 treated him as just a human. I would like them to combine the two. Have it when characters are talking to Chief in gameplay he doesn’t respond because the characters aren’t talking to Chief they’re talking to YOU the player then have Chief talk in cutscenes. Also have Chief be a badass in cutscenes and gameplay.
    I prefer the mostly silent Chief we got in 1-3. It let’s the player put themselves in the Chief’s shoes.

14. Forge must be as amazing as Halo 5’s forge if not better, it should be there at launch too.
    Forge is awesome, I’m sure it’ll be back in full force.

15. New wild life in the game.
    Hopefully! Trailer looks promising.

16. Have Chief and Arbiter work together like in Halo 3 again.
    Amen!

17. New enemies.
    Would be cool, maybe Created-controlled suits of Spartan armor.

18. Bring back old enemies.
    Would be cool to fight Brutes again. 343 can go crazy in Warzone.

19. Bring back playable Elites.
    I don’t care about playable Elites but I know a lot of people do, might as well bring them back.

> 2535448706146827;3:
> 1. It should not have Spartan abilities permanent like Halo 5, it should be optional like Halo Reach and Halo 4.
> **I disagree. One of Halo’s trademarks is fair starts. I do not want anything resembling a class system in arena.**2. Sprint is a controversial topic so if they include sprint it should be like Halo Reach where you can pick it up as an item or Halo 5 where your shield won’t recharge if you sprint.
> **Again, absolutely not.**3. Halo 5 lacked customization for Spartans. It should have a customization system like Halo Reach.
> **Yes, absolutely. If they copy + pasted Reach’s customization I think most people would love it. Except for the special effect-type stuff.**4. It NEEDS to have an amazing story and fix the problems Halo 5’s story had and explain things well.
> **Yes, the campaign needs a lot of work. Thankfully, I don’t think 343 is treating Infinite as the third part of a trilogy as much as they are the next part of the sage. So they don’t have to cram a ton of story into Infinite to fix the story.**5. Warzone should return and have new boss battles like Master Chief, Arbiter, the Flood, Atriox. Remove the REQ system entirely.
> **Boss battles definitely need improvement. I’m not sure about fighting the Chief and/or Arby though. Hate it or love it, I think the reality is that micro-transactions will be in Infinite. Until the government cracks down on loot boxes, publishers are going to make their money. And that’s a Microsoft decision most likely, not a 343 decision.**6. Halo 5 lacked content at launch so Halo Infinite NEEDS all the content at launch.
> **For sure, send us a complete game. Social (with Infection and developer-made BTB maps), Ranked, and Warzone (or it’s replacement). I don’t play Infection, but people love it. Give the people what they want. Also, a working theater. Polish the game. The glitches/bugs in Halo 5 are still excessive in my mind.**7. Have better boss battles for the campaign because Halo 5 had the Warden Eternal scrapped 6 or 7 times and no other interesting fights. It should have an Atriox, Locke and a Cortana boss battle!
> **I agree, either do boss battles right or just skip them entirely. I’m fine with scrapping them.**8. Realistic Multiplayer armor and not ridiculous armor like Halo 4 and 5.
> **What?! You don’t love Seeker?! Yeah I agree, good armor. Gritty.**9. Bring back the option for teammates to revive you if you’re down in the campaign but this time have good AI because in Halo 5 the AI was a problem.
> **I’m not sure I want a revive system. The squad-based thing was a pain. And I’m not sure it’s realistic to make the AI that much better.**10. BRING BACK SPLIT-SCREEN. This is so important to Halo whether you like it or not. But it was confirmed already it will return.
> **We’ll see if it’s 2 or 4 player.**11. Have an epic moment in the final part of the last mission. Halo 4 and 5 the last part in those final levels felt poor. In Halo 4 you had a QTE and you beat the game and Halo 5 you just had to walk and you beat the game. I want to feel like a badass escaping in a warthog while awesome music plays in those final parts like I did with Halo 1 and 3.
> **I agree, more time of the player in control.**12. Give us those emotional scenes in the campaign like Halo 3 and 4.
> **For sure, Halo 4’s story was awesome then Halo 5 was completely flat and void of any emotional connection.**13. Have the Chief have personality like in Halo 4 cause imo 343 did a better job with MC then Bungie did. Bungie treated the Chief like the silent type and badass killing machine but 343 treated him as just a human. I would like them to combine the two. Have it when characters are talking to Chief in gameplay he doesn’t respond because the characters aren’t talking to Chief they’re talking to YOU the player then have Chief talk in cutscenes. Also have Chief be a badass in cutscenes and gameplay.
> **I prefer the mostly silent Chief we got in 1-3. It let’s the player put themselves in the Chief’s shoes.**14. Forge must be as amazing as Halo 5’s forge if not better, it should be there at launch too.
> **Forge is awesome, I’m sure it’ll be back in full force.**15. New wild life in the game.
> **Hopefully! Trailer looks promising.**16. Have Chief and Arbiter work together like in Halo 3 again.
> **Amen!**17. New enemies.
> **Would be cool, maybe Created-controlled suits of Spartan armor.**18. Bring back old enemies.
> **Would be cool to fight Brutes again. 343 can go crazy in Warzone.**19. Bring back playable Elites.
> I don’t care about playable Elites but I know a lot of people do, might as well bring them back.

1. I didn’t say for it to have loadouts. I meant it should have armor abilities around the map you can find.

2. Why not? Halo 5’s sprint had good balance where if you were hurt you had to stop sprinting otherwise your shield wouldn’t recharge or you could do it like Halo Reach where sprint isn’t permanent and an item.

3. Hopefully.

4. Agreed.

5. Well Warzone the concept is it’s just a training stage so the things you’re fighting are holograms you can say. I would love to fight Master Chief and Arbiter, that would blow people’s minds and make Warzone so much better! Also I think 343 has stated they’re developing the game and Microsoft will not add anything so maybe no micro-transactions, I might be wrong though.

6. Yes, absolutely.

7. Yeah.

8. Lol

9. With or without the revive system I’m cool.

10. Hopefully 4 player.

11. Plays Finish The Fight

12. 100%

13. Like I said I’d like them to combine the sometimes silent type and badass killing machine but have Chief act like in Halo 4.

14. Hopefully.

15. It looks beautiful in the trailer, let’s hope it’s actually in the game.

16. Were it so easy.

17. That would be cool.

18. I would love it if Brutes came back.

19. Yep.

Please no sprint! DOOM’s multiplayer worked fine without sprint.

Have Alot more Community Creations featured and played in game. 343i needs to find away to show off all the amazing talent the halo community has, not many people want to invest hours to days in a game if the get a proper reward.

The #1 thing Infinite needs to do right is piss off pro-sprinters :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2535448706146827;3:
> 1. It should not have Spartan abilities permanent like Halo 5, it should be optional like Halo Reach and Halo 4.
> **I disagree. One of Halo’s trademarks is fair starts. I do not want anything resembling a class system in arena.**2. Sprint is a controversial topic so if they include sprint it should be like Halo Reach where you can pick it up as an item or Halo 5 where your shield won’t recharge if you sprint.
> **Again, absolutely not.**3. Halo 5 lacked customization for Spartans. It should have a customization system like Halo Reach.
> **Yes, absolutely. If they copy + pasted Reach’s customization I think most people would love it. Except for the special effect-type stuff.**4. It NEEDS to have an amazing story and fix the problems Halo 5’s story had and explain things well.
> **Yes, the campaign needs a lot of work. Thankfully, I don’t think 343 is treating Infinite as the third part of a trilogy as much as they are the next part of the sage. So they don’t have to cram a ton of story into Infinite to fix the story.**5. Warzone should return and have new boss battles like Master Chief, Arbiter, the Flood, Atriox. Remove the REQ system entirely.
> **Boss battles definitely need improvement. I’m not sure about fighting the Chief and/or Arby though. Hate it or love it, I think the reality is that micro-transactions will be in Infinite. Until the government cracks down on loot boxes, publishers are going to make their money. And that’s a Microsoft decision most likely, not a 343 decision.**6. Halo 5 lacked content at launch so Halo Infinite NEEDS all the content at launch.
> **For sure, send us a complete game. Social (with Infection and developer-made BTB maps), Ranked, and Warzone (or it’s replacement). I don’t play Infection, but people love it. Give the people what they want. Also, a working theater. Polish the game. The glitches/bugs in Halo 5 are still excessive in my mind.**7. Have better boss battles for the campaign because Halo 5 had the Warden Eternal scrapped 6 or 7 times and no other interesting fights. It should have an Atriox, Locke and a Cortana boss battle!
> **I agree, either do boss battles right or just skip them entirely. I’m fine with scrapping them.**8. Realistic Multiplayer armor and not ridiculous armor like Halo 4 and 5.
> **What?! You don’t love Seeker?! Yeah I agree, good armor. Gritty.**9. Bring back the option for teammates to revive you if you’re down in the campaign but this time have good AI because in Halo 5 the AI was a problem.
> **I’m not sure I want a revive system. The squad-based thing was a pain. And I’m not sure it’s realistic to make the AI that much better.**10. BRING BACK SPLIT-SCREEN. This is so important to Halo whether you like it or not. But it was confirmed already it will return.
> **We’ll see if it’s 2 or 4 player.**11. Have an epic moment in the final part of the last mission. Halo 4 and 5 the last part in those final levels felt poor. In Halo 4 you had a QTE and you beat the game and Halo 5 you just had to walk and you beat the game. I want to feel like a badass escaping in a warthog while awesome music plays in those final parts like I did with Halo 1 and 3.
> **I agree, more time of the player in control.**12. Give us those emotional scenes in the campaign like Halo 3 and 4.
> **For sure, Halo 4’s story was awesome then Halo 5 was completely flat and void of any emotional connection.**13. Have the Chief have personality like in Halo 4 cause imo 343 did a better job with MC then Bungie did. Bungie treated the Chief like the silent type and badass killing machine but 343 treated him as just a human. I would like them to combine the two. Have it when characters are talking to Chief in gameplay he doesn’t respond because the characters aren’t talking to Chief they’re talking to YOU the player then have Chief talk in cutscenes. Also have Chief be a badass in cutscenes and gameplay.
> **I prefer the mostly silent Chief we got in 1-3. It let’s the player put themselves in the Chief’s shoes.**14. Forge must be as amazing as Halo 5’s forge if not better, it should be there at launch too.
> **Forge is awesome, I’m sure it’ll be back in full force.**15. New wild life in the game.
> **Hopefully! Trailer looks promising.**16. Have Chief and Arbiter work together like in Halo 3 again.
> **Amen!**17. New enemies.
> **Would be cool, maybe Created-controlled suits of Spartan armor.**18. Bring back old enemies.
> **Would be cool to fight Brutes again. 343 can go crazy in Warzone.**19. Bring back playable Elites.
> I don’t care about playable Elites but I know a lot of people do, might as well bring them back.

So map equipment or abilities is a no no,but being able to shoulder bash,hover,and ground pound is ok?

> 2533274830166194;8:
> > 2535448706146827;3:
> > 1. It should not have Spartan abilities permanent like Halo 5, it should be optional like Halo Reach and Halo 4.
> > **I disagree. One of Halo’s trademarks is fair starts. I do not want anything resembling a class system in arena.**2. Sprint is a controversial topic so if they include sprint it should be like Halo Reach where you can pick it up as an item or Halo 5 where your shield won’t recharge if you sprint.
> > **Again, absolutely not.**3. Halo 5 lacked customization for Spartans. It should have a customization system like Halo Reach.
> > **Yes, absolutely. If they copy + pasted Reach’s customization I think most people would love it. Except for the special effect-type stuff.**4. It NEEDS to have an amazing story and fix the problems Halo 5’s story had and explain things well.
> > **Yes, the campaign needs a lot of work. Thankfully, I don’t think 343 is treating Infinite as the third part of a trilogy as much as they are the next part of the sage. So they don’t have to cram a ton of story into Infinite to fix the story.**5. Warzone should return and have new boss battles like Master Chief, Arbiter, the Flood, Atriox. Remove the REQ system entirely.
> > **Boss battles definitely need improvement. I’m not sure about fighting the Chief and/or Arby though. Hate it or love it, I think the reality is that micro-transactions will be in Infinite. Until the government cracks down on loot boxes, publishers are going to make their money. And that’s a Microsoft decision most likely, not a 343 decision.**6. Halo 5 lacked content at launch so Halo Infinite NEEDS all the content at launch.
> > **For sure, send us a complete game. Social (with Infection and developer-made BTB maps), Ranked, and Warzone (or it’s replacement). I don’t play Infection, but people love it. Give the people what they want. Also, a working theater. Polish the game. The glitches/bugs in Halo 5 are still excessive in my mind.**7. Have better boss battles for the campaign because Halo 5 had the Warden Eternal scrapped 6 or 7 times and no other interesting fights. It should have an Atriox, Locke and a Cortana boss battle!
> > **I agree, either do boss battles right or just skip them entirely. I’m fine with scrapping them.**8. Realistic Multiplayer armor and not ridiculous armor like Halo 4 and 5.
> > **What?! You don’t love Seeker?! Yeah I agree, good armor. Gritty.**9. Bring back the option for teammates to revive you if you’re down in the campaign but this time have good AI because in Halo 5 the AI was a problem.
> > **I’m not sure I want a revive system. The squad-based thing was a pain. And I’m not sure it’s realistic to make the AI that much better.**10. BRING BACK SPLIT-SCREEN. This is so important to Halo whether you like it or not. But it was confirmed already it will return.
> > **We’ll see if it’s 2 or 4 player.**11. Have an epic moment in the final part of the last mission. Halo 4 and 5 the last part in those final levels felt poor. In Halo 4 you had a QTE and you beat the game and Halo 5 you just had to walk and you beat the game. I want to feel like a badass escaping in a warthog while awesome music plays in those final parts like I did with Halo 1 and 3.
> > **I agree, more time of the player in control.**12. Give us those emotional scenes in the campaign like Halo 3 and 4.
> > **For sure, Halo 4’s story was awesome then Halo 5 was completely flat and void of any emotional connection.**13. Have the Chief have personality like in Halo 4 cause imo 343 did a better job with MC then Bungie did. Bungie treated the Chief like the silent type and badass killing machine but 343 treated him as just a human. I would like them to combine the two. Have it when characters are talking to Chief in gameplay he doesn’t respond because the characters aren’t talking to Chief they’re talking to YOU the player then have Chief talk in cutscenes. Also have Chief be a badass in cutscenes and gameplay.
> > **I prefer the mostly silent Chief we got in 1-3. It let’s the player put themselves in the Chief’s shoes.**14. Forge must be as amazing as Halo 5’s forge if not better, it should be there at launch too.
> > **Forge is awesome, I’m sure it’ll be back in full force.**15. New wild life in the game.
> > **Hopefully! Trailer looks promising.**16. Have Chief and Arbiter work together like in Halo 3 again.
> > **Amen!**17. New enemies.
> > **Would be cool, maybe Created-controlled suits of Spartan armor.**18. Bring back old enemies.
> > **Would be cool to fight Brutes again. 343 can go crazy in Warzone.**19. Bring back playable Elites.
> > I don’t care about playable Elites but I know a lot of people do, might as well bring them back.
>
> So map equipment or abilities is a no no,but being able to shoulder bash,hover,and ground pound is ok?

I’m not a fan of equipment or pick-up abilities like picking up sprint or a jet pack.

Spartan Charge and Ground Pound I don’t like, but with a nerf I think they’d be okay. In a perfect world I wouldn’t have them. I don’t like the idea of having different Spartans on the map with different abilities.

1: the halo 3 armor color patterns
2: an improved Spartan Ops
3: all armors from all eras (I would be heart broken if seeker is scrapped, or at least do a redesign to make it less… coffee machine)

I completely agree with everything you said maybe even bring back the old art style and having spartan armor earned instead of bought through loot boxes. If the game does have loot boxes 343 please please please don’t make it so you get weapons that put you at an advantage and have armor and skins for weapons that are earnable through hard work something people will work on and be proud of to wear like Helioskrill but don’t mess up and have anyone who throws a few bucks at you able to buy it and maybe even a better looking version. Have something like Recon the Hayabusa helmet the katana and flaming helmet from Halo 3 in Halo Infinite. And for forge have a world like forge world from Halo Reach because I honestly think I have more maps on that singular map than all of the games combined. The halo 5 maps were good they just didn’t appeal to me as much as forge world.