What Halo 5 has that other modern games lack.

Halo 5 has not only enemy variety, but enemy personality. It’s honestly insane how games like COD (which I am a fan of) are seen as the holy grail of gaming. I mean, aside from cool campaign set pieces, it’s all about shooting the soldier next to the car, or the slightly different soldier on the balcony. On the other hand, Halo has various classes of elites, grunts, jackals, knights, crawlers, hunters, watchers, and now soldiers. The enemy variety keeps gameplay a lot more interesting, because you don’t just hold your finger on the trigger. You need to strafe around knights, headshot grunts, shoot jackals in the arm, etc.

Next, the personalities of the enemies keep Halo interesting. I actually really like that the various enemies actually speak English this time (even the jackals.) I also really like that the Promethean soldiers can talk (and somehow they are more human like than knights, even though they are completely artificial while Knights were human).
Edit: Even in Destiny, the enemy variety has very little effect on the gameplay. Dreg? Just hold down that trigger. Captain? Just hold it down longer. Centurion? same thing. Basically, unless you’re fighting a phalanx, you just ads and hold down the trigger as you move from target to target.

Edit 2:Another fantastic aspect of Halo is the actual interaction of the AI. Grunts actually reacting to a brute dying and running away screaming “we’re leaderless”. What about Watchers providing Shields for knights or reviving them? In Halo, you feel like the different enemies are actually working together.

Hit the nail on the head. +1

Halo has more of a Sci-Fi feel to it while COD has more of a Realistic feel to it. (I am aware it is NOT realistic) I’d just assume that’d draw more people in rather a Sci-Fi game. And the fact that COD has 3 companies making the games while Halo only has one, so COD can release more games in the following years and keep everything fresh and new.

> 2533275011491088;2:
> Hit the nail on the head. +1

Yeah, and the variety of enemies also has some pretty immersive mechanics, such as grunts being super aggressive while fighting alongside a brute, then cowering once their massive ally has been taken down.

> 2533274813212234;3:
> Halo has more of a Sci-Fi feel to it while COD has more of a Realistic feel to it. (I am aware it is NOT realistic) I’d just assume that’d draw more people in rather a Sci-Fi game. And the fact that COD has 3 companies making the games while Halo only has one, so COD can release more games in the following years and keep everything fresh and new.

I will say that newer enemies such as drones, and the mech suit dudes have made gameplay slightly more interesting.

Indeed that is something that is missing from a lot of different shooters these days. Besides Halo it seems like every other mainstream FPS has either become an action movie where you control the action hero through a massive scripted sequence. Games that don’t do that seem to just evolve themselves into FPSRPGs. Not that that’s a bad thing, but it means there are no regular multiplayer shooters that can have meaningful campaigns that are just as fun as the multiplayer component.

In that sense Halo does more than pretty much any other shooter.

Halo is the only video game that has Spartans. John 117 to be exact.

I know, I haven’t had a good challenging FPS campaign for like 3 years. While Halo 4’s wasn’t the best campaign, it is still great compared to others. Battlefield and COD… NOPE. I thought Destiny would have a good story… BIG NOPE. Battlefront won’t have a campaign, FINE. This is one of the reasons I’m so excited for Halo 5.

> 2533274870852232;8:
> I know, I haven’t had a good challenging FPS campaign for like 3 years. While Halo 4’s wasn’t the best campaign, it is still great compared to others. Battlefield and COD… NOPE. I thought Destiny would have a good story… BIG NOPE. Battlefront won’t have a campaign, FINE. This is one of the reasons I’m so excited for Halo 5.

I hear you. I got the taken king and it was the most story that Destiny has had, even though the actual campaign is 3 hours long and the only real characters are Cayde-6 (who literally has the same voice and personality as Buck), Eris, and the Ghost (who now sounds like Guilty spark a little bit)

> 2533274882999606;9:
> > 2533274870852232;8:
> > I know, I haven’t had a good challenging FPS campaign for like 3 years. While Halo 4’s wasn’t the best campaign, it is still great compared to others. Battlefield and COD… NOPE. I thought Destiny would have a good story… BIG NOPE. Battlefront won’t have a campaign, FINE. This is one of the reasons I’m so excited for Halo 5.
>
>
> I hear you. I got the taken king and it was the most story that Destiny has had, even though the actual campaign is 3 hours long and the only real characters are Cayde-6 (who literally has the same voice and personality as Buck), Eris, and the Ghost (who now sounds like Guilty spark a little bit)

Yeah i like how they have Nathan Fillion playing a robot Buck.

Halo also has an actual story that isn’t repeated game after game… But I agree with everything that you said, but there’s a good reason why that is true. In Call of Duty, there really is only one option for enemy AI and that is other humans, in a sci fi universe there is much more possibilities when it comes to how many different species and classes there can be. CoD would fly off the realism train if they tried that. Anyways, I do agree with your point that it is something that Halo has that most other games do, but sometimes the circumstances are extenuating.

> 2533274844683863;11:
> Halo also has an actual story that isn’t repeated game after game… But I agree with everything that you said, but there’s a good reason why that is true. In Call of Duty, there really is only one option for enemy AI and that is other humans, in a sci fi universe there is much more possibilities when it comes to how many different species and classes there can be. CoD would fly off the realism train if they tried that. Anyways, I do agree with your point that it is something that Halo has that most other games do, but sometimes the circumstances are extenuating.

Yeah, but even in games like destiny, you never really have to change your tactics. Unless you are fighting a phalanx, just straight up shoot. Even Minotaurs just sort of teleport like 5 feet to the left or right. In Halo 4, Knights didn’t just teleport for the hell of it, they did it when they needed their shields to recharge. I had times on legendary where I couldn’t find one in time and they were fully healed (which is actually good because it shows that the enemy has self preservation in mind.)

> 2533274882999606;12:
> > 2533274844683863;11:
> > Halo also has an actual story that isn’t repeated game after game… But I agree with everything that you said, but there’s a good reason why that is true. In Call of Duty, there really is only one option for enemy AI and that is other humans, in a sci fi universe there is much more possibilities when it comes to how many different species and classes there can be. CoD would fly off the realism train if they tried that. Anyways, I do agree with your point that it is something that Halo has that most other games do, but sometimes the circumstances are extenuating.
>
>
> Yeah, but even in games like destiny, you never really have to change your tactics. Unless you are fighting a phalanx, just straight up shoot. Even Minotaurs just sort of teleport like 5 feet to the left or right. In Halo 4, Knights didn’t just teleport for the hell of it, they did it when they needed their shields to recharge. I had times on legendary where I couldn’t find one in time and they were fully healed (which is actually good because it shows that the enemy has self preservation in mind.)

Oh I completely agree, I was just speaking with comparison to CoD. Destiny was slightly variable, definitely more than CoD. Everything is point and shoot, but there are differences, such as thralls rushing quickly, vex walking toward you without inhibition, wizards taking cover when hurt. It is nowhere near as varied as Halo I agree, but it isn’t 100% the same unlike CoD. I actually think that the Mass Effect Trilogy did a great job at different AI personalities, most of the bipedal races were similar, but each had unique weaknesses and strengths. There were also many species that weren’t bipedal that acted vastly different.

Lets not forget the diverse stories and backgrounds of every character in the game and books, you can’t say that for anything else.

Also the most important thing Halo has that no other console shooter has: Fat Kid.

> 2533274872578239;15:
> Also the most important thing Halo has that no other console shooter has: Fat Kid.

I don’t follow

> 2533274807399716;14:
> Lets not forget the diverse stories and backgrounds of every character in the game and books, you can’t say that for anything else.

Yeah, unless you are one of the Destiny Lore dudes who pretends that a couple of cards actually provide deep backstories. The freakin queen didn’t even have a name until the dlc. In the grimoir card, it just says “the queen”, and for her brother, it says “the queens brother”. Meanwhile in Halo, even grunts have been pretty significant characters, such as dadab from Halo: Contact Harvest.

> 2533274870852232;8:
> I know, I haven’t had a good challenging FPS campaign for like 3 years. While Halo 4’s wasn’t the best campaign, it is still great compared to others. Battlefield and COD… NOPE. I thought Destiny would have a good story… BIG NOPE. Battlefront won’t have a campaign, FINE. This is one of the reasons I’m so excited for Halo 5.

TFW New COD games have more story than Destiny, a Bungie game…