What Halo 4 needs to keep from reach.

Just to come to your attention. Halo: Reach is not all that bad.

These are the factors needed for halo 4 from Reach:

*Forge - Works perfectly right now. It just needs more themes, props, maps and maybe utilities.

*Armoury - The purchasing and customisation on your armour outdoes halo 3’s armour by far. Maybe add some halo 3 armour as well as keeping reach armour.

*Gametype Customisation - Keep the insane gametypes and options ‘n’ all. The only change required is bring back VIP and more custom power-up types. Also add a scepator team who are on white team and stay in theatre mode and zombie loadouts.

*Loadouts - I can’t see the problem with them. In matchmaking, they could limit it to just 2 or 3 loadouts. At least keep it in custom games for the creativity and stuff.

*Invasion - Fun gametype and all. People just got bored because they were limited to the amount of maps. Just add community maps and different traits etc.

*Firefight - Worked fine and could be customised massively. They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes and up the players to 8.(4 a team) Btw, keep the target locater, plasma launcher, grenade launcher and maybe dmr, needle rifle and concussion rifle.

*Matchmaking - It still works. The arena functions well too. Just a few rank modifications.

*Challenges and commendation - works brilliantly and gives a sense of achievement. Commendations should also address to specific weaponry as well.

*Ranking - This should be split into two systems. EXPERIENCE and SKILL. Experience is the halo: reach credit system based more on rating number. Skill is based on a combination of halo 3’s highest skill system and average reach rating system (arena rating). In other terms:

EXPERIENCE - shows how experienced you are and the game and how much effort and time you spend on it. This will be earned by game ratings, performance, victory, commendations, challenges and jackpots. Credits can be spent of more things to do with your armour and other unlocks.

SKILL - Based on how good you are at the game. Uses a combination of halo 3’s highest skill system and altered with reach’s rating system. Progress should be viewed after matches. Allows you to get to higher ranks, have a medal next to your rank (onyx in arena etc) and other major upgrades.

*Armour Abilities - I’m guessing that everyone is gonna rage at this, but I would like to keep them. Matchmaking should give out mainly just jetpack and sprint (or non) while custom gametypes should supply all of them (+ a few more!)

*Campaign - Don’t forget the sabre space fights!

*Bloom - Should only be implemented on close combat weapons like the assault rifle or while dual wielding/in a first person view in a vehicle.

So yeah. There are a few things that Reach did well on and should be carried on to the next halo. :slight_smile:

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sounds like Halo 3.5/Reach to me. That’s a worst case scenario for me.

I only agreed with Invasion and Forge, though it’s impossible to not like Forge.

Everything else was either mediocre, obvious, or trivial appearance/XP based additions to the Halo series.

> Just to come to your attention. Halo: Reach is not all that bad.
>
> :slight_smile:

Reach isnt bad at all. If your going to nit pick and complain about Reach, take a look at the flaws CE,2,and 3 had. Sure, I HATE armor lock and active camo, the 2 AA’s that should be removed for MM, but that doesnt change the fact that Reach is my favorite so far.

All Halo games were great in thier own way. If you dont like Reach, then you dont like it. But it doesnt mean the game is “bad”. (im not saying the OP thinks Reach is bad, im just saying this so anyone who reads it will have a taste of reality)

Definitely no armor abilities, and for the ranking system, have a H3 system. Sorry bro, you were close.

> Definitely no armor abilities, and for the ranking system, have a H3 system. Sorry bro, you were close.

Close?

You must mean to what you subjectively think is best because you can’t have meant objectively best. Because that hasn’t been settled. Doubt it will ever be settled.

The halo 2 ranking system was good I would like that. Lets having something different then AAs. Also duel wielding.

>
> These are the factors needed for halo 4 from Reach:
>
> *Armoury - The purchasing and customisation on your armour outdoes halo 3’s armour by far. Maybe add some halo 3 armour as well as keeping reach armour.
>
> *Firefight - Worked fine and could be customised massively. They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes and up the players to 8.(4 a team) Btw, keep the target locater, plasma launcher, grenade launcher and maybe dmr, needle rifle and concussion rifle.
>
> *Challenges and commendation - works brilliantly and gives a sense of achievement. Commendations should also address to specific weaponry as well.

Yes, you are right in saying there are some good things in Reach, and some good things to be taken and especially LEARNT from Reach. All in all, its not as terrible as many people make it out to be at the moment.

Armour: The customisation should definitely be taken into Halo 4 but at a minor level. Halo Reach was Noble Team and Noble 6 especially, this allowed the option to customise as unlike MC, we had never heard or seen of these spartans before and therefore could be altered to a degree. The general idea of Noble 6 was also intended to be ‘You’ and such a customisation ability further enhanced this experience. Halo 4’s customisation regarding the player should be minor as the MC is MC, campaign and multiplayer armour customisation should be extremely limited to avoid any issues. Perhaps Firefight/Private Matches could allow for a higher degree of player customisation.

Firefight: For me it goes back to the common argument of Reach having never built or effectively upgraded from ODST. ODST’s Firefight provided a ‘Challenging and Co-operative’ experience. This is exactly what Firefight should be in my opinion. Reach offered a more ‘arcade’ style, neglecting teamwork and any sense of survival or achievement. I do however think Halo 4 could take the customisation from Reach’s version such as weapons, waves, skulls and enemy values.

Challenges: Reach really had to include this. Every game these days has some sort of progression system and ‘grind’ if you like. So people may not like it but for me it gives that sense of achievement, progression and an extra level to the game. If unlocks/ rewards are included with the challenges in Halo 4, (if included) I would suggest to keep it small. Do not allow players to gain an advantage over others based on time spent playing the game. Halo has always been effective and successful in producing an ‘EQUAL’ battlefield.

Halo 4, 343 Industries can learn from Reach.

> Definitely no armor abilities, and for the ranking system, have a H3 system. Sorry bro, you were close.

As I said. everyone should be seen by two things. A SKILL system and an EXPERIENCE system.

EXPERIENCE - shows how experienced you are and the game and how much effort and time you spend on it. This will be earned by game ratings, performance, victory, commendations, challenges and jackpots. Credits can be spent of more things to do with your armour and other unlocks.

SKILL - Based on how good you are at the game. Uses a combination of halo 3’s highest skill system and altered with reach’s rating system. Progress should be viewed after matches. Allows you to get to higher ranks, have a medal next to your rank (onyx in arena etc) and other major upgrades.

Well here’s my opinions.

Forge - would be good to have different environment types as well as different skins/colour schemes for the building blocks.

Armoury - Nice addition to be honest, a sort of credit system that has NO effect on rank’s would be ideal (ill explain further in ranks).

Loadouts - no… Halo has always been about everyone starting equal although they would work fine for Invasion.

Invasion - I admit i loved this gametype, basically it’s territories and CTF all rolled in one, lovely.

Challenges & Comm’s - another addition which is a good idea. The challenges would obviously tie in with a credit system towards unlocking armour.

Armour abilities - No, just no. Bring back equipment and OS/Camo pickup’s as i said previously Halo has always been about starting equal, AA’s slow down and in some cases break a core part of Halo - map control:

• Armour Lock - no one deserve’s a second chance, mistakes must be punished.

• Jetpack - This is probably the worst AA as it breaks maps and map control, some amazing map’s i have played on would never make it into MM simply because it wasnt designed around this AA, what a shame.

• Hologram - This would work as a one time use equipment.

• Camo - Rather have my 30 second blue orb pickup.

• Sprint - I didnt mind this but then again if we get faster movement speed’s back (and i hope we do) then this would be pointless. Another thing is it allows you to run away from an encounter you probably should of died from.

Ranking - the head honcho :wink: The Arena system does not work, quite simply the original ranking system based on individual ratings, before it became W/L, was seriously flawed for obvious reasons (and why Microsoft have always had the TrueSkill system based on team effort to avoid the problems which you probably saw during individual-based Arena ranking {there’s an article about this, try google}). Arena is mostly quantity over quality, why punish skilled player’s in favour of people who can play 24/7?

I strongly support a return to a 1-50 system, this allows multiple playlist’s since you are not forced to constantly play to rank up or even defend your rank. Of course such a system would need to be anti-boost/derank. Exp and number ranking with playlist progression ranks a la Halo 3 would be great, a credit system could be added only for the use of unlocking armour and has NO effect on ranks themselves also if you lose, you deserve nothing (exp-wise) except any credits you may have earn’t.

Faster movement speed’s, smaller hitboxes, a huge reduction in bullet magnetism, we need a skill gap back, Reach seriously lack’s a skill gap.

I love every single one of your ideas. I hate when people are so ignorant and when they see AA’s or anything from Reach mentioned that they say “No” straight away. Reach was just as good as the rest of the Halo games, I don’t know what got people into thinking it was ‘bad’…

AA’s should definitely return and I like the way you say keep them in Matchmaking - Sprint and Jet Pack only. That’s perfect, makes the game more fun and adventurous.

> > Just to come to your attention. Halo: Reach is not all that bad.
> >
> > These are the factors needed for halo 4 from Reach:
> >
> > *Armoury - The purchasing and customisation on your armour outdoes halo 3’s armour by far. Maybe add some halo 3 armour as well as keeping reach armour.
> >
> > *Firefight - Worked fine and could be customised massively. They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes and up the players to 8.(4 a team) Btw, keep the target locater, plasma launcher, grenade launcher and maybe dmr, needle rifle and concussion rifle.
> >
> > *Challenges and commendation - works brilliantly and gives a sense of achievement. Commendations should also address to specific weaponry as well.
>
> Yes, you are right in saying there are some good things in Reach, and some good things to be taken and especially LEARNT from Reach. All in all, its not as terrible as many people make it out to be at the moment.
>
> Armour: The customisation should definitely be taken into Halo 4 but at a minor level. Halo Reach was Noble Team and Noble 6 especially, this allowed the option to customise as unlike MC, we had never heard or seen of these spartans before and therefore could be altered to a degree. The general idea of Noble 6 was also intended to be ‘You’ and such a customisation ability further enhanced this experience. Halo 4’s customisation regarding the player should be minor as the MC is MC, campaign and multiplayer armour customisation should be extremely limited to avoid any issues. Perhaps Firefight/Private Matches could allow for a higher degree of player customisation.
>
> Firefight: For me it goes back to the common argument of Reach having never built or effectively upgraded from ODST. ODST’s Firefight provided a ‘Challenging and Co-operative’ experience. This is exactly what Firefight should be in my opinion. Reach offered a more ‘arcade’ style, neglecting teamwork and any sense of survival or achievement. I do however think Halo 4 could take the customisation from Reach’s version such as weapons, waves, skulls and enemy values.
>
> Challenges: Reach really had to include this. Every game these days has some sort of progression system and ‘grind’ if you like. So people may not like it but for me it gives that sense of achievement, progression and an extra level to the game. If unlocks/ rewards are included with the challenges in Halo 4, (if included) I would suggest to keep it small. Do not allow players to gain an advantage over others based on time spent playing the game. Halo has always been effective and successful in producing an ‘EQUAL’ battlefield.
>
> Halo 4, 343 Industries can learn from Reach.

Thanks man. But back when I said about firefight. I stated that “They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes”. That meant that in order to get good experience in firefight, you had to go on co-operative and competitive gametypes and with other players to get high experience and achievements. working together etc. :slight_smile:

apart from that. you made a good point there! :slight_smile:

> Thanks man. But back when I said about firefight. I stated that “They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes”. That meant that in order to get good experience in firefight, you had to go on co-operative and competitive gametypes and with other players to get high experience and achievements. working together etc. :slight_smile:
>
> apart from that. you made a good point there! :slight_smile:

Sorry, skim reading got the best of me :stuck_out_tongue:

In response, yeah I like you idea of filter competitive to co-op. It would really separate those who want a casual and fun experience to those who are looking for a challenging and team orientated alternative. In my opinion, the entire scoring system could be left out during competitive to exclude the idea of ‘beating’ your team players and therefore not playing as a team.

p.s. not a man :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as Forge stays multiplayer and has the phased option, I can live. I’d like a more diverse pallet, bigger budget, more scenery pieces (like pallets and barrels) and all that good stuff. But Forge World was such a massive improvement that there’s not much else to be asked for.

Armor Abilities need to leave competitive matchmaking. Go back to equipment, and have a custom games option for “Regenerate” and “Unlimited” for people who still want them.

Loadouts should stay, but mainly be used in Custom Games, Invasion, and Firefight.

Firefight 2.0 was a great improvement, except for the lag… It also needs are some new squad types (Elite Gladiators, Zealot Kill Team, Drones, Fiesta Elites, Fiesta Grunts)… And possibly Forge but let’s be honest, that would be a -Yoink- to make no matter how cool it would be.

The Armory is nice, but I’d prefer it if you had to unlock armor through achievements or commendations, then buy them with cR.

Campaign in reach was god awful, nothing should be carried over from that mess.

Theater is OK, I don’t see why we can’t bring more people in but it never bothered me too much.

I also like how Elites are completely separated from Spartans. I like the lack of elite armory, and how we get these full suits instead of “oh look my should is different”. That’s one thing Reach excelled in, species variation.

> Sounds like Halo 3.5/Reach to me. That’s a worst case scenario for me.
>
> I only agreed with Invasion and Forge, though it’s impossible to not like Forge.
>
> Everything else was either mediocre, obvious, or trivial appearance/XP based additions to the Halo series.

You have to keep in mind that this thread is about what should be carried over and what should stay behind, meaning that only concepts and features that were in Reach and not any new ones that would be new to the series.

So, it should make sense that this list would sound something like Reach/Halo 3

I agree with everything but AA’s, and loadouts

I agree with a lot of this… not all but most.

I’m gonna post here in support AND so I can find this thread more easily. Does anyone know if there is ONE consolidated thread on “What should be in Halo4”?

Add Assassinations to the list.

>
> These are the factors needed for halo 4 from Reach:
>
> *Forge - Works perfectly right now. It just needs more themes, props, maps and maybe utilities.

Fix the frame rate lag. And The Grey.

> *Armoury - The purchasing and customisation on your armour outdoes halo 3’s armour by far. Maybe add some halo 3 armour as well as keeping reach armour.

Naturally. I am sure they will add new things in.

> *Gametype Customisation - Keep the insane gametypes and options ‘n’ all. The only change required is bring back VIP and more custom power-up types. Also add a scepator team who are on white team and stay in theatre mode and zombie loadouts.

Halo 3 had more customisation than Reach. This definitely needs improving from Reach’s lackluster options.

> *Loadouts - I can’t see the problem with them. In matchmaking, they could limit it to just 2 or 3 loadouts. At least keep it in custom games for the creativity and stuff.

No. At least for ranked games. In Invasion, Customs and Firefight they are fine.

> *Invasion - Fun gametype and all. People just got bored because they were limited to the amount of maps. Just add community maps and different traits etc.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Invasion.

> *Firefight - Worked fine and could be customised massively. They should add earn-able credits on default maps and “pro” gametypes and up the players to 8.(4 a team) Btw, keep the target locater, plasma launcher, grenade launcher and maybe dmr, needle rifle and concussion rifle.

Agreed. Maybe add in an unlimited firefight for matchmaking.

> *Matchmaking - It still works. The arena functions well too. Just a few rank modifications.

100% Disagree. Matchmaking in Reach does not take into account the skill of any players in the game. You want to know why full parties destroy in BTB. This is the reason.

> *Challenges and commendation - works brilliantly and gives a sense of achievement. Commendations should also address to specific weaponry as well.

Meh. Doesn’t affect the game much.

> *Ranking - This should be split into two systems. EXPERIENCE and SKILL. Experience is the halo: reach credit system based more on rating number. Skill is based on a combination of halo 3’s highest skill system and average reach rating system (arena rating). In other terms:
>
> EXPERIENCE - shows how experienced you are and the game and how much effort and time you spend on it. This will be earned by game ratings, performance, victory, commendations, challenges and jackpots. Credits can be spent of more things to do with your armour and other unlocks.
>
> SKILL - Based on how good you are at the game. Uses a combination of halo 3’s highest skill system and altered with reach’s rating system. Progress should be viewed after matches. Allows you to get to higher ranks, have a medal next to your rank (onyx in arena etc) and other major upgrades.

So basically Halo 3’s ranking system, where Exp = Credits.

> *Armour Abilities - I’m guessing that everyone is gonna rage at this, but I would like to keep them. Matchmaking should give out mainly just jetpack and sprint (or non) while custom gametypes should supply all of them (+ a few more!)

Same as Loadouts. Not good for gameplay at all, bar the playlists that have separate rules; Living Dead, Grifball etc.

> *Campaign - Don’t forget the sabre space fights!

Hopefully going to be good.

> *Bloom - Should only be implemented on close combat weapons like the assault rifle or while dual wielding/in a first person view in a vehicle.

You mean, the same way bloom has been implemented on all Halo games apart from Reach. No bloom on precision weapons is a 100% must.

> So yeah. There are a few things that Reach did well on and should be carried on to the next halo. :slight_smile:

Reach added almost nothing good and ruined a lot. Halo 4 needs to be more like the trilogy.

No he was dead on, they should only throw out armour lock. I have no problem with the other AA’s mainly because I love jetpack. :slight_smile: