what Halo 4 needs to do to avoid the failures of Halo:Reach

The player population has dropped massively. Halo2 stayed at number 1 for years. Halo 3 switched between 1st and 2nd for 3 years straight.

Reach is in 7th after just ONE year. That is a massive decline in the popularity of the Halo franchise. the numbers speak for themselves, there is really nothing that needs to be said about Reach’s poor performance.

WHAT HALO 4 NEEDS TO DO TO BRING BACK THE POPULATION AND EVERYONE THAT LEFT

1- Speed up the Gameplay!

You walk so damn slow now. Go back to Halo 1/2 speed. Gameplay is so slow, the kill times take forever. this has ruined strafing and competitive skill gaps. Speed it all up!

2- Go back to no-bloom

Bloom has made competitive gameplay completely random. It has broken the skill gap. Halo 4 needs to go back to Halo’s roots.

3 - Get rid of the quit ban

Quitters are worse than ever. Constant black screens. The quit ban has done nothing and I belive this is a big reason players left. out of frustration.

4- Bring back 1-50.

Another reason players left. No reason to keep playing. Why play when all you worked for will be erased? There is nothing to work for and thus players left. Arena has been a total failure and Halo 4 NEEDS 1-50 back or it will be a continued decline.

5- Make vehicles that aren’t made out of cardboard.

Simple.

Halo 4 Needs to do these things to has success like previous Halo titles has before Reach ruined everything. I have faith in you 343i after Anniversary! Please return Halo to its competitive roots! Thank you.

I do get tired of people saying bring back the 1-50. That ranking system was extremely flawed too. 343 needs to create their own ranking system that can accurately judge people, and the quit ban was about the only thing I liked about Halo Reach. I hope Halo 4 has an even stricter quit ban. Halo 4 needs to evolve, but not as drastic as Halo Reach because that was too much. Halo 4 needs to bring back the “it” factor to Halo. I agree with you #1, #2, and #5.

1. I agree, but you’re wrong with some of the points you made here. There’s only a 3% difference in speed from CE to Reach, Halo 2/3 were both significantly faster, and the second being your comment about the strafing. It’s not the speed decrease that’s ruined strafing, it’s the movement acceleration, which needs to be removed.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Only if they’re able to use the Halo 2 trueskill system, Halo 3’s was flawed and shouldn’t even be considered to make a return.

5. Don’t care, I don’t play in playlists that have vehicles.

I’d like to add a few of my own.

6.Return AA’s but ONLY in Invasion

7.Return Equipment

8.A more team based Firefight mode like ODST’s

9.Better voice acting and facial animations [The voice acting in Reach is terrible]

10.Better forging

1. More variety in maps [Most maps in Reach are on Reach, around it or on forge world]

I’m getting really sick of seeing the same thread remade multiple times each day.

Yeah yeah, we get it. A lot of people prefered the original trilogy over Reach.

And for the record, Halo Reach’s population dropping faster than Halo 2’s is more relevant to the fact that Halo 2 didnt have to deal with another certain overrated series. Namely CoD. And Halo 3 only had to deal with CoD4 which was just the start of CoD’s MP popularity rise. Reach had to deal with MW2 which was still a heavily played game, along with Black Ops which had a pop of 5 million. Along with MoH, and this year’s MW3 and BF3.

> 4. Only if they’re able to use the Halo 2 trueskill system, Halo 3’s was flawed and shouldn’t even be considered to make a return.

I like that you support a 1-50, but the Halo 2 system was an ELO ranking system used in chess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Halo 3 was the one to use Microsoft’s Trueskill rating system.

> I’m getting really sick of seeing the same thread remade multiple times each day.
>
> Yeah yeah, we get it. A lot of people prefered the original trilogy over Reach.
>
> And for the record, Halo Reach’s population dropping faster than Halo 2’s is more relevant to the fact that Halo 2 didnt have to deal with another certain overrated series. Namely CoD. And Halo 3 only had to deal with CoD4 which was just the start of CoD’s MP popularity rise. Reach had to deal with MW2 which was still a heavily played game, along with Black Ops which had a pop of 5 million. Along with MoH, and this year’s MW3 and BF3.

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYY!!! People are so ignorant man… I wanna explode whenever people use that against Reach "oh but more people played Halo 2! blah blah"

> >
>
> I like that you support a 1-50, but the Halo 2 system was an ELO ranking system used in chess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
>
> Halo 3 was the one to use Microsoft’s Trueskill rating system.

Regardless of the system used in H2 my point stands, the Elo system is better at determining trueskill than microsofts rating system.

> 3 - Get rid of the quit ban
>
> Quitters are worse than ever. Constant black screens. The quit ban has done nothing and I belive this is a big reason players left. out of frustration.

So we should be making changes based on gut feelings now?

And quitters have nothing to do with the constant black screens. That’s a host migration. If the host quits it’ll cause a black screen. If the host can’t take the load that’ll also cause a black screen.

> 4- Bring back 1-50.
>
> Another reason players left. No reason to keep playing. Why play when all you worked for will be erased? There is nothing to work for and thus players left. Arena has been a total failure and Halo 4 NEEDS 1-50 back or it will be a continued decline.

If 1-50 is brought back then I will have no reason to keep playing.

And is this really the mentality that we are going to use? “It worked in the past so it’ll obviously work now. It doesn’t matter that gamers have changed since then. And of course my personal preferences have nothing to do with this decision either.”

> 5- Make vehicles that aren’t made out of cardboard.

H3 vehicles sucked.

> > > 5- Make vehicles that aren’t made out of cardboard.
> >
> > H3 vehicles sucked.
>
> Vehicle combat in Halo 3 was mad good! Being shot off track and dying so fast from regular bullets is so annoying ;\

How about that Halo 4 simply exist for some other purposes than feeding a virtual addiction?

However you may qualify Reach’s massive suckage, the ultimate root of that is it’s insistence on Skinner-Box like gameplay mechanisms (credits, armor, frustrating gameplay which counterpoints the former, ect.) above those that might just treat us as human beings. We hate it, we reject it, but we played Reach none-the-less because what our conscious minds express and what unconscious part Bungie exploited are on two completely different levels. And so long as 343 stays on the lower, Halo 4 will not be an improvement because it’s primary focus will yet again be in an area which our higher minds can’t possibly appreciate since it won’t be to it that they’ll be appealing to, and banking on.

> The player population has dropped massively. Halo2 stayed at number 1 for years. Halo 3 switched between 1st and 2nd for 3 years straight.
>
> Reach is in 7th after just ONE year. That is a massive decline in the popularity of the Halo franchise. the numbers speak for themselves, there is really nothing that needs to be said about Reach’s poor performance.
>
> WHAT HALO 4 NEEDS TO DO TO BRING BACK THE POPULATION AND EVERYONE THAT LEFT
>
> <mark>1- Speed up the Gameplay!</mark>
> <mark>You walk so damn slow now. Go back to Halo 1/2 speed. Gameplay is so slow, the kill times take forever. this has ruined strafing and competitive skill gaps. Speed it all up!</mark>
> <mark>2- Go back to no-bloom</mark>
> <mark>Bloom has made competitive gameplay completely random. It has broken the skill gap. Halo 4 needs to go back to Halo’s roots.</mark>
> <mark>3 - Get rid of the quit ban</mark>
> <mark>Quitters are worse than ever. Constant black screens. The quit ban has done nothing and I belive this is a big reason players left. out of frustration.</mark>
>
> 4- Bring back 1-50.
>
> Another reason players left. No reason to keep playing. Why play when all you worked for will be erased? There is nothing to work for and thus players left. Arena has been a total failure and Halo 4 NEEDS 1-50 back or it will be a continued decline.
>
> <mark>5- Make vehicles that aren’t made out of cardboard.</mark>
>
> Simple.
>
> Halo 4 Needs to do these things to has success like previous Halo titles has before Reach ruined everything. I have faith in you 343i after Anniversary! Please return Halo to its competitive roots! Thank you.

Though I am in agreement that Reach is terrible, it is facing far more competition than Halo 2 or 3 ever did.

The problem with Reach was that Bungie took a long-range weapon and tried to shoe-horn it into being a utility weapon.

> The problem with Reach was that Bungie took a long-range weapon and tried to shoe-horn it into being a utility weapon.

Reach is really really fun, what are you guys talking about?

IMO the biggest thing that needs to change is a rank system that judges skill rather than time played. Perhaps we could have both-earn credits to show dedication to the game, then have a skill rank system.

> If 1-50 is brought back then I will have no reason to keep playing.

Good, don’t let the door hit you on your way out because so many other players have left this game because of the -Yoink- -Yoink- credit ranking system.

> > If 1-50 is brought back then I will have no reason to keep playing.
>
> Good, don’t let the door hit you on your way out because so many other players have left this game because of the Yoink! -Yoink!- credit ranking system.

Ignore Mathew, he doesn’t like the 1-50 because he can’t reach the end of it, as he has said many many times, he wants a ranking system like Reaches/CoDs.