What Gen Varient Of Mark VI Does MC Use In Halo 5?

I was discussing this with someone the other day but neither of us knew the answer and yes we tried searching it up.
So does anyone know if Master Chief wears Gen 1 or Gen 2 Mark VI armour?

Pretty sure it’s gen 2, that’s why he has all the cool abilities now.

> 2535405537190242;1:
> I was discussing this with someone the other day but neither of us knew the answer and yes we tried searching it up.
> So does anyone know if Master Chief wears Gen 1 or Gen 2 Mark VI armour?

Well, in CE (and Reach, technically), he had MK. V armor. In H2 and H3, he had the MK. VI. H4 comes around, and he has what I would refer to as a modified variant of the MK. VI version which is compatible with the Gen 2. Which Cortana was able to do, even though Chief was in a sealed cryogenic chamber… shrugs

> 2533274961587895;3:
> > 2535405537190242;1:
> > I was discussing this with someone the other day but neither of us knew the answer and yes we tried searching it up.
> > So does anyone know if Master Chief wears Gen 1 or Gen 2 Mark VI armour?
>
>
> Well, in CE (and Reach, technically), he had MK. V armor. In H2 and H3, he had the MK. VI. H4 comes around, and he has what I would refer to as a modified variant of the MK. VI version which is compatible with the Gen 2. Which Cortana was able to do, even though Chief was in a sealed cryogenic chamber… shrugs

In Halo 5, the Master Chief is using the MJOLNIR Mark VI [GEN 2].
From Halo 2 to Halo 4, he used the MJOLNIR Mark VI [GEN 1]. Yes, Cortana did do some upgrades to Chief’s armor while he was in cryo, but it was mostly firmware/software. Chief didn’t receive an update to his MJOLNIR hardware until after the events of Halo 4 when his armor was removed for the first time since Halo 2 (presumably…he might have removed it to do a quick systems check while aboard the In Amber Clad between slipspace jumps)

The armor chief currently wears is the same armor he had in Halo 2 and 3, but with artistic redesigns made by 343i. All Cortana did during those 7 years he crypo-slept was update his suit’s firmware/software. So the armor is still Mark VI Gen 1, at least in Halo 4. It is possible that after Halo 4, he got a Gen 2 variant in the same design, but I doubt it. I think Chief just likes his Gen 1 armor. His armor being Gen 1 would also explain why he and Blue Team don’t have advanced VISR capabilities like Fireteam Osiris.

Edit: upon closer inspection, it appears that Chief’s armor in 5 lacks the scars and wear-&-tear that it had from 4. Which could suggest a brand new set of armor, but could also just mean he had his armor repaired at some point.

> 2533274817408735;5:
> The armor chief currently wears is the same armor he had in Halo 2 and 3, but with artistic redesigns made by 343i. All Cortana did during those 7 years he crypo-slept was update his suit’s firmware/software. So the armor is still Mark VI Gen 1, at least in Halo 4. It is possible that after Halo 4, he got a Gen 2 variant in the same design, but I doubt it. I think Chief just likes his Gen 1 armor. His armor being Gen 1 would also explain why he and Blue Team don’t have advanced VISR capabilities like Fireteam Osiris.
>
> Edit: upon closer inspection, it appears that Chief’s armor in 5 lacks the scars and wear-&-tear that it had from 4. Which could suggest a brand new set of armor, but could also just mean he had his armor repaired at some point.

The H5 version also has a new undersuit and new details in red.

> 2533274817408735;5:
> The armor chief currently wears is the same armor he had in Halo 2 and 3, but with artistic redesigns made by 343i. All Cortana did during those 7 years he crypo-slept was update his suit’s firmware/software. So the armor is still Mark VI Gen 1, at least in Halo 4. It is possible that after Halo 4, he got a Gen 2 variant in the same design, but I doubt it. I think Chief just likes his Gen 1 armor. His armor being Gen 1 would also explain why he and Blue Team don’t have advanced VISR capabilities like Fireteam Osiris.
>
> Edit: upon closer inspection, it appears that Chief’s armor in 5 lacks the scars and wear-&-tear that it had from 4. Which could suggest a brand new set of armor, but could also just mean he had his armor repaired at some point.

According to Halopedia, it was after the Skirmish on Installation 03 when John received his new GEN 2 upgrades as his armor was severely damaged, and his helmet crushed, by the Didact.

While his armor in H4 did truely not look like the standard MJOLNIR variant, it’s explained that Cortana used nanomachines to change its look somewhat. Personally, it looks more like he is wearing the CIO armor with the MJOLNIR Mark VI [GEN 2] helmet.

As for the VISR upgrades…I think the VISR suites used by Locke and his team where given to them by ONI to help track down both Catherine Halsey (or maybe that was a field test), and John when he was listed as AWOL.

> 2698138705338799;7:
> > 2533274817408735;5:
> > The armor chief currently wears is the same armor he had in Halo 2 and 3, but with artistic redesigns made by 343i. All Cortana did during those 7 years he crypo-slept was update his suit’s firmware/software. So the armor is still Mark VI Gen 1, at least in Halo 4. It is possible that after Halo 4, he got a Gen 2 variant in the same design, but I doubt it. I think Chief just likes his Gen 1 armor. His armor being Gen 1 would also explain why he and Blue Team don’t have advanced VISR capabilities like Fireteam Osiris.
> >
> > Edit: upon closer inspection, it appears that Chief’s armor in 5 lacks the scars and wear-&-tear that it had from 4. Which could suggest a brand new set of armor, but could also just mean he had his armor repaired at some point.
>
>
> According to Halopedia, it was after the Skirmish on Installation 03 when John received his new GEN 2 upgrades as his armor was severely damaged, and his helmet crushed, by the Didact.
>
> While his armor in H4 did truely not look like the standard MJOLNIR variant, it’s explained that Cortana used nanomachines to change its look somewhat. Personally, it looks more like he is wearing the CIO armor with the MJOLNIR Mark VI [GEN 2] helmet.
>
> As for the VISR upgrades…I think the VISR suites used by Locke and his team where given to them by ONI to help track down both Catherine Halsey (or maybe that was a field test), and John when he was listed as AWOL.

Where is it explained that Cortana used nanomachines?

> 2533274961587895;3:
> > 2535405537190242;1:
> > I was discussing this with someone the other day but neither of us knew the answer and yes we tried searching it up.
> > So does anyone know if Master Chief wears Gen 1 or Gen 2 Mark VI armour?
>
>
> Well, in CE (and Reach, technically), he had MK. V armor. In H2 and H3, he had the MK. VI. H4 comes around, and he has what I would refer to as a modified variant of the MK. VI version which is compatible with the Gen 2. Which Cortana was able to do, even though Chief was in a sealed cryogenic chamber… shrugs

Its been unoffically called “MK VI Cortana Variation” by some.
As for how it was worked on in-cryo, each pod has internal systems and medical arms to ensure the occupant is kept safe while in cryo. Entire surgeries can be preformed with the paitent kept in stasis (as is the case of Linda under the hands of Dr. Halsey in First Strike). Cortana most likely utilized said equipment to upgrade Chief’s kit.

Halo CE - Mark V
Halo 2 - Mark VI (what is now known as the Gen1 variant)
Halo 3 - Mark VI Gen1
Halo 4 - Advanced Mark VI Gen1 (Aswell as giving it a redesign, Cortana also heavly upgraded the Mark VI Gen1 armour)
Halo 5 - Advanced Mark VI Gen2 (Same as his Halo 4 armour, just upgraded with Gen2 tech to allow the use of the thruster pack …etc

At no point in the game does Master Chief wear the standard Mark VI “Gen2”. The Gen 2 variant (that is just simply known as Mark VI) is the version of the armour your Spartan can wear.

I found the sources that state Cortana used nanomachines to update Chief’s armor in cryosleep. It may be canon, but I still call bullcrap.

> 2533274808793619;10:
> Halo CE - Mark V
> Halo 2 - Mark VI (what is now known as the Gen1 variant)
> Halo 3 - Mark VI Gen1
> Halo 4 - Advanced Mark VI Gen1 (Aswell as giving it a redesign, Cortana also heavly upgraded the Mark VI Gen1 armour)
> Halo 5 - Advanced Mark VI Gen2 (Same as his Halo 4 armour, just upgraded with Gen2 tech to allow the use of the thruster pack …etc
>
> At no point in the game does Master Chief wear the standard Mark VI “Gen2”. The Gen 2 variant (that is just simply known as Mark VI) is the version of the armour your Spartan can wear.

Byt Im guessing mark vi gen 2 is the closest you can get!

Sure do wish that they would make that armor unlockable even if it doesn’t quite jive with the whole story

There have been conflicting internal reports as to what has happened to Chiefs armor since the release of Halo 4. Fans immediately noticed Chiefs redesigned armor when the promotional material for Halo 4 was released, a year before the game dropped. A few months before the release of Halo 4, a studio head at 343 (I forget his name) addressed the issue by stating that Chief, canonically, was still wearing the same armor (The GEN 1 Mark. VI) and, that it’s physical appearance had gone through an “Artisitc Evolution.” This made sense. How would chief have upgraded to a GEN 2 suit while in cryogenic sleep floating in isolation? Cortana mentions that she upgraded his suit while he was out, albeit, only re-writing his system firmware.

Halo 4 introduced the Spartan IV’s and with it, widespread standardization of the new GEN 2 Mjolnir Armors while discontinuing all GEN 1 variants.

Fast forward to Halo 5. Now the story has changed. Through the game and other bits of media we have learned that all Spartans, from all generations have been upgraded to GEN 2 suits, Blue Team included. The odd thing is that chief is wearing the same armor from Halo 4, albeit a dual tone under suit. This would imply that chief was actually wearing GEN 2 armor during the events of Halo 4 and not the GEN 1 Mark VI as we were told.

So, which is it and how? I don’t know. I don’t know if 343 knows. I personally think it’s just an oversight.

Also, something of note. There is a major continuity error in the Halo 4 prologue flashback cutscene. In said scene we see multiple Spartan II’s dropping into a combat zone. We know for a fact that early Spartan II’s all wore GEN 1 Mark IV armor. However, in the cutscene, they are all wearing the same suit as chief does in Halo 4. So how are they wearing Mark VI armor?

A 343 employee would later remark that they were aware of the continuity error with the cutscene. However, they simply did not have enough time and resources to create a GEN 1 Mark IV armor set for the Spartans in the cutscene.

I never bought the whole nanomachines thing, for a few reasons.

Firstly, he still has the damage on the chest from crashing into Earth in Halo 3. If Cortana was able to make parts of his armor look COMPLETELY different, why didn’t she fix that scar? Seems odd, no?

And secondly, ALL the spartan II’s use the “nanomachine” armor in the Halo 4 prologue, which leads me to believe that 343i was just taking artistic liberties to change up the mjolnir armor and that John’s is not unique in any shape or form (save for the damage).