What gameplay elements did 343 do right?

It’s very easy to voice only complaints for the most recent video game title you care about - and this is only natural because the negative things tend to stick a bit more on peoples’ minds. If people are happy or complacent, they’re generally less vocal, and this is mostly fine and expected. However, Halo seems to be having some sort of identity crisis or at least identity shifting in the past 6 or 7 years, and I believe that the only solution to this is for people to unite on common ground. Can we all come to some agreement on what Halo 5 did right without controversy?

For me, they really nailed the sprinting in this game. If you would’ve asked me a year ago about sprint in Halo, I would’ve told you it had no place. Now, though, I think sprint is definitely in Halo’s future should it be somewhat successful. The shield recharge delay erased many problems due to sprint that I simply couldn’t sit with.

How do you feel about movement speed? Grenade physics? Parkour elements? What about the more skillful aiming with regard to less aim assist?

Personally, I feel they nailed much of the core elements of gameplay, but I’d like to know what you guys think about that.

> 2533274812390628;1:
> Parkour elements?

I totally read this as “poker elements” at first. Brbcoffee.

The speed of the gameplay. It really gets you hooked

> 2533274796457055;2:
> > 2533274812390628;1:
> > Parkour elements?
>
>
> I totally read this as “poker elements” at first. Brbcoffee.

I suppose that could loosely apply to the REQ packs and gambling? xD

My favorites are the new movement options and the weapon balance.

Sprinting, clambering, jetpacks, and sliding are amazing tools. I can’t wait to see what kind of cool things top players are going to be coming up with a year from now on maps.

The pistol is back! The BR feels like an old school HaloCE pistol, and the other weps feel great as well. They all seem to have their niche, even the AR is useful, and I find myself using it pretty often.

> 2533274796457055;2:
> > 2533274812390628;1:
> > Parkour elements?
>
>
> I totally read this as “poker elements” at first. Brbcoffee.

Ghost-Ultra beats Ghost-High.
Level two reqs are the flop, level four reqs are the turn, and level six reqs are the river.

The shooting mechanics are alright. Killtimes are decent, movement speed is decent, balance is well done.

Overall gunplay feels pretty good, both in terms of firefights and individual weapons. I was skeptical at first, but I’m warming up to the implementation of Spartan Abilities. With recharge delay waiting until you stop sprinting, and ground pounds doing varying levels of damage based on how long you hold them, 343’s definitely done some good tuning to allow the new changes to adjust into core gameplay. Also, the game looks and sounds amazing. For multiplayer, the sounds are great. I went back to play Destiny for a little bit, and the gunplay felt toy-ish. Halo 5 has great sound effects and the weapons feel like they have mass to them. Also love that the monks came back for campaign soundtrack…gotta love that Marty

> 2600292642016732;5:
> …
> The pistol is back! The BR feels like an old school HaloCE pistol, and the other weps feel great as well. They all seem to have their niche, even the AR is useful, and I find myself using it pretty often.

Totally agree with this. For the first time since Halo CE I haven’t laughed at idea of using the pistol out of anything but desperation. AR starts are actually as fun - maybe funner? - than BR/DMR starts.

> 2533274819302824;6:
> > 2533274796457055;2:
> > > 2533274812390628;1:
> > > Parkour elements?
> >
> >
> > I totally read this as “poker elements” at first. Brbcoffee.
>
>
> Ghost-Ultra beats Ghost-High.
> Level two reqs are the flop, level four reqs are the turn, and level six reqs are the river.

Ha! This legitimately made me laugh. Well played.

Speed of the gameplay. The super dynamic movement with clamber/thruster/stabilizers. The balance of the weapons too. There are pretty much no weapons I hate. I’m happy with and can easily get kills with any of them, save the plasma pistol, but that’s more of an assistant weapon.

The visuals are sharper and more vibrant than ever. I love the general aesthetic.

Including more throwbacks to the old music combined with newer tracks was great. Kazuma did a wonderful job composing.

I like smart scope. I like spartan charge and ground pound a lot.

And naturally, Warzone is a super fun casual mode, though I want casual arena playlists as well.

That’s about it off the top of my head.

> 2600292642016732;5:
> Sprinting, clambering, jetpacks, and sliding are amazing tools. I can’t wait to see what kind of cool things top players are going to be coming up with a year from now on maps.

The “cool things” are already happenin’.
Strafe Left, Right, Jump, Thrust Left, Perrrrrrfect.
Jump off cliff to evade fire, Ground Pound hover, Thrust back, Perrrrrrfect
Jump, Stabilize, Thrust, Clamber, Flank enemy, Perrrrrrfect
Jump, Crouch, Jump, Clamber, Surprise, Strafe Right, Left, Perrrrrfect
Jump, Stabilize, SNAPSHOT, OMGZZZZ

Well you get the idea. You can catch some of the Pros occasionally each day streaming.

The things I’m most impressed with are things like the balance of weapons and abilities. Like I’ve said before, so far all the weapons each feel useful and effective for their purpose yet none seem unfairly dominant. (Excluding the warzone variants.) While I feel the ground pound and spartan charge are unnecessary gimmicks that don’t improve the game, they are at least mostly balanced well enough. The shield recharge delay while sprinting is a good idea. The clamber works almost everywhere it should. The slide tackle and thruster make movement more interesting. ADS doesn’t change the game into call of duty, it was perfectly implemented to not make traditional halo aim obsolete while still having it’s place. And breakout is a great change of pace to the traditional respawn-only gametypes halo has always supported. While those additions are all great improvements to the game, removing things like ordnance drops and weapon loadouts/armor abilities etc. were also great improvements.