What exactly, makes Halo 5 stand out?

Why should I, or anyone else, buy Halo 5: Guardians when it is released? What makes it different? What makes Halo 5 stand out from the competition?

Halo 1 was different. It crushed the competition. It had wide open spaces, it had a sandbox environment. It had tons of driveable vehicles. It had regenerating shields. It invented/perfected “The Golden Triangle of Halo.” It had intelligent AI for its enemies.

Halo 2 was different. It invented matchmaking for consoles. It invented the party and playlist systems for video games. It had dual wielding and hijackable vehicles. Halo 2 obliterated the competition.

Halo 3 was different. It had Forge mode and Theater mode. It destroyed the competition.

The gap between what Halo has to offer compared to other games has been shrinking with recent installments.

What does Halo 5 Guardians have that other games don’t?

Check out my Sprint is Useless thread if you wish to discuss Sprint.

Edit: If I was to try and convince a friend to play Halo again, or convince a friend who hasn’t played the Halo series before, how would I or anyone else convince them to ditch COD, Battlefield, and/or Destiny or other similar games and pick up the latest entry in the Halo series?

Edit 2: If you must know, I have a few friends that I used to have fun playing with on the Xbox 360. Then they freaking well went and got a PS4. I’m trying to get them to either 1) come back to last-gen consoles and play a few games with me, or 2) get an Xbox One. There are zero exclusives on the PS4 that I want, so I’m not getting it. Feel free to bring up the campaign and lore, because those are valid points, but they’re multiplayer-obsessed right now.

It doesn’t have anything unique, 343 is turning this game into another generic, standard FPS.

Name one other shooter on the console market with an arena-style setup. That’d be equal starts and weapon pickups. Literally every other shooter is custom-class bullcrap like what 343 tried and failed to do with Halo 4.

Teamwork.

What did the other Halo’s have that other games didn’t?

Nothing. What made them stand out was the overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting.

Halo 5 isn’t necessarily unique in what it has, but how it plays overall. So far i find the mechanics work better in this game than in COD, Destiny, and Battlefield, and we only have 2 game modes.

> 2533274845095818;3:
> Name one other shooter on the console market with an arena-style setup. That’d be equal starts and weapon pickups. Literally every other shooter is custom-class bullcrap like what 343 tried and failed to do with Halo 4.

Arena Style means so much more than just equal starts and weapon pickups. You could put both those things in a CoD game and it would be nowhere close to being Arena Style. If everyone spawned with a Glock and had to pick up Barret’s and M16’s off the map, it would still be a hallway shooter where you drop on shot and can’t move for -Yoink-.

> What does Halo 5 Guardians have that other games don’t?

-Hipfire while strafing (though Counter-Strike KIND OF has this).
-Jumping
-Slower Killtimes

That’s…about it. Recharging shields don’t protect any underlying health, they’re basically just their own re-skin of recharging Health seen in other shooters.

“Arena Style means so much more than just equal starts and weapon pickups. You could put both those things in a CoD game and it would be nowhere close to being Arena Style. If everyone spawned with a Glock and had to pick up Barret’s and M16’s off the map, it would still be a hallway shooter where you drop on shot and can’t move for -Yoink-.”

No that’s exactly what arena shooter means. Halo CE and Quake are both arena shooters yet they have next to nothing in common. What they do have in common are they are two games starting players on equal footing who have to fight for on-map weapons. Arena shooter.

Though one could even argue that Halo has never been an arena shooter because typical arena shooters tend to have an emphasis on incredibly fast movement speeds. Which make Halo look like Arma by comparison.

> 2533274845095818;7:
> “Arena Style means so much more than just equal starts and weapon pickups. You could put both those things in a CoD game and it would be nowhere close to being Arena Style. If everyone spawned with a Glock and had to pick up Barret’s and M16’s off the map, it would still be a hallway shooter where you drop on shot and can’t move for -Yoink-.”
>
> No that’s exactly what arena shooter means. Halo CE and Quake are both arena shooters yet they have next to nothing in common. What they do have in common are they are two games starting players on equal footing who have to fight for on-map weapons. Arena shooter.

No, it’s not.

Arena Shooters are about flowing across complex maps with unhindered combat and movement, about extended battles rather than drop on shot gameplay. That’s the one thing they all have in common, and Halo Ce still doesn’t qualify by that definition. Halo has arena elements, that doesn’t make it an arena shooter.

CoD, even with map pickups, is a game where you’re moving sluggishly around flat maps, aiming down sites, and killing people the instant you spot them. Putting guns on the map isn’t going to change that. Even Battlefield 4 has on-map power weapons…

Hmm…arena style gameplay is hard to pin down. Look it up: there is no formal definition. All we know is that Halo 5 is called “an arena shooter.”
Now, “twitch shooter” and “tactical shooter” both have formal definitions.

343I saw everyone on the forums tossing the word around and decided to use it as a marketing strategy. They can call it whatever they want far as I’m concerned, it’s still Halo 5 at the end of the day.

There is no formal definition, but I refuse to accept that “identical starts with map pickups” is a proper definition. Clan Arena in Quake doesn’t have pickups and it’s still Quake in terms of the base combat and map design. Would you really call Call of Duty an “arena shooter” just because it has map pickups now, even though the base combat and map design are still unchanged?

> Now, “twitch shooter” and “tactical shooter” both have formal definitions.

This I did not know.

I honestly thought an Arena shooter was a shooter in which the determining factor was skill and intellect alone and not things like perks, or spawning with various weapons that are better than others, or getting things handed to you to assist gameplay.

A game with equal starts, map pick ups, and a focus on map control falls into this category, because the determining factor is using what’s given to you (which are the same things everyone else gets). This is Halo 5. There’s nothing else like that on the market that I know of.

> 2533274812240562;5:
> What did the other Halo’s have that other games didn’t?
> Nothing. What made them stand out was the overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting.
> Halo 5 isn’t necessarily unique in what it has, but how it plays overall. So far i find the mechanics work better in this game than in COD, Destiny, and Battlefield, and we only have 2 game modes.

Ye—ouch! At the time of release, did other first person shooters have the features listed in the OP? Halo 2 was released on November 9. 2004. Half-Life 2 was released on November 16, 2004. I distinctly remember Half-Life 2 having…significant gameplay and content differences to Halo 2.

I like the “overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting” statement, because Halo did a lot of that, but keep in mind that Halo developed a few things on its own as well–or it used to, anyway.

> 2533274812240562;5:
> What did the other Halo’s have that other games didn’t?
>
> Nothing. What made them stand out was the overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting.
>
> Halo 5 isn’t necessarily unique in what it has, but how it plays overall. So far i find the mechanics work better in this game than in COD, Destiny, and Battlefield, and we only have 2 game modes.

Lol what?

Halo CE introduced numerous elements to the FPS. Rebounding health. Only being able to hold two weapons at once. Hotkey grenades.

Halo 2 essentially invented matchmaking and the entire xbl operating system.

> 2535441634768829;13:
> > 2533274812240562;5:
> > What did the other Halo’s have that other games didn’t?
> >
> > Nothing. What made them stand out was the overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting.
> >
> > Halo 5 isn’t necessarily unique in what it has, but how it plays overall. So far i find the mechanics work better in this game than in COD, Destiny, and Battlefield, and we only have 2 game modes.
>
>
> Lol what?
>
> Halo CE introduced numerous elements to the FPS. Rebounding health. Only being able to hold two weapons at once. Hotkey grenades.
>
> Halo 2 essentially invented matchmaking and the entire xbl operating system.

Technically, Halo CE had a health system that already existed (you had to pick up health packs). The regeneration aspect of health existed in games long before Halo. Megadrive/Genesis had it.
Holding two weapons and hotkey grenades are simplifications of already existing systems in games. You could hold two weapons at once in other shooters, and you could throw grenades in other shooters. Halo just did it differently bringing me back to the point that what made Halo stand out was the execution of these features.

I don’t feel the invention of matchmaking counts as an “innovative gameplay mechanic.” It was obviously influential, but more from a hardware standpoint than the actual game itself.

> 2535441634768829;13:
> > 2533274812240562;5:
> > What did the other Halo’s have that other games didn’t?
> >
> > Nothing. What made them stand out was the overall immaculate execution of multiple borrowed elements in one arena setting.
> >
> > Halo 5 isn’t necessarily unique in what it has, but how it plays overall. So far i find the mechanics work better in this game than in COD, Destiny, and Battlefield, and we only have 2 game modes.
>
>
>
> Lol what?
>
> Halo CE introduced numerous elements to the FPS. Rebounding health. Only being able to hold two weapons at once. Hotkey grenades.
>
> Halo 2 essentially invented matchmaking and the entire xbl operating system.

Tribes had rebounding health/shields, limited number of weapons carried at once, hotkey grenades - released 1998

A unique blend of the Spartan Abilities with an arena shooter in a futuristic setting. Also, it’s Halo. Everyone knows Halo.

Was having a discussion with some friend who wasn’t really a console gamer. I was talking to him about how people thought that Halo 5 was “not halo”.

He asked me “Can you still jump really high”. I said “Yes”, he replies; “Then it’s still Halo”

Afterwards I realized that Halo will always be Halo, as long as the entire game wasn’t flipped upside down. A few mechanics might make some purists upset, but in the end, Halo will always have defining features that will always make it Halo.

> 2533274880692195;1:
> Why should I, or anyone else, buy Halo 5: Guardians when it is released? What makes it different? What makes Halo 5 stand out from the competition?
>
> Halo 1 was different. It crushed the competition. It had wide open spaces, it had a sandbox environment. It had tons of driveable vehicles. It had regenerating shields. It invented/perfected “The Golden Triangle of Halo.” It had intelligent AI for its enemies.
>
> Halo 2 was different. It invented matchmaking for consoles. It invented the party and playlist systems for video games. It had dual wielding and hijackable vehicles. Halo 2 obliterated the competition.
>
> Halo 3 was different. It had Forge mode and Theater mode. It destroyed the competition.
>
> The gap between what Halo has to offer compared to other games has been shrinking with recent installments.
>
> What does Halo 5 Guardians have that other games don’t?
>
> Check out my Sprint is Useless thread if you wish to discuss Sprint.
>
> Edit: how would you convince someone to play the Halo 5 Beta, instead of another game? How would you convince someone to play Halo 4 or Reach, instead of another series?

I just want to state something that very few people think about when writing these kinds of posts.

1. Every single innovation you listed, besides halo ce was already in the works or in other games. Example would be matchmaking just using xbox live. It’s not like bungie invented the feeling internet. Forge mode was basically a map builder which was in several games before halo.
  2. Alright so in your mind there is no major innovation. I want you now to give me a completely new innovation 343 could have added into halo 5 that would have been as big as online matchmaking or forge. The answer might be the fact that there are no more groundbreaking innovations that can be out into an fps to make them unique. Quicker action, such as thrusters and sprint are borrowed from games so they aren’t a major selling point. However, bringing back old arena style slayer should be a decent point, right?

> 2533274878211546;16:
> A unique blend of the Spartan Abilities with an arena shooter in a futuristic setting. Also, it’s Halo. Everyone knows Halo.
> Was having a discussion with some friend who wasn’t really a console gamer. I was talking to him about how people thought that Halo 5 was “not halo”.
> He asked me “Can you still jump really high”. I said “Yes”, he replies; “Then it’s still Halo”
> Afterwards I realized that Halo will always be Halo, as long as the entire game wasn’t flipped upside down. A few mechanics might make some purists upset, but in the end, Halo will always have defining features that will always make it Halo.

Let’s just say I’m not convinced. Not everyone knows about Halo. I have friends who barely even know what a video game is, let alone anything about a video game series. I also have friends who are really into video games…yet because they don’t play first person shooters, they didn’t know about Halo. They had heard of Call of Duty, though. :frowning:

Floaty jumps–Halo takes place on several different planets, space-based installations, and spaceships. I’d actually like them to muck around with the gravity settings a little more to reflect this.

The problem I’m having when comparing Halo Reach/4/5 Beta to other games…Destiny, COD, Battlefield…especially with the very fast pace of the Beta…recent Halo games just feel like “another one of those games” now, when it used to be king.

> 2533274845095818;7:
> “Arena Style means so much more than just equal starts and weapon pickups. You could put both those things in a CoD game and it would be nowhere close to being Arena Style. If everyone spawned with a Glock and had to pick up Barret’s and M16’s off the map, it would still be a hallway shooter where you drop on shot and can’t move for -Yoink-.”
>
> No that’s exactly what arena shooter means. Halo CE and Quake are both arena shooters yet they have next to nothing in common. What they do have in common are they are two games starting players on equal footing who have to fight for on-map weapons. Arena shooter.
>
> Though one could even argue that Halo has never been an arena shooter because typical arena shooters tend to have an emphasis on incredibly fast movement speeds. Which make Halo look like Arma by comparison.

the only games which are truly classified as an arena shooter are games like doom, quake, unreal tournament and painkiller. other games use elements but are in general deviations. halo is as much of an arena shooter as gears of war or tribes are. halo has been falsely labelled as an arena shooter when in actuality it is as much of an arena shooter (quake, UT) as it is a tactical shooter (counter strike).

in general arena shooters are regarded by quick movement, power-ups, carry all weapons, player economy and small, compact, vertical maps. halo CE had 2 of them (power-ups and maps) though that is the closest halo has ever gotten.

> 2533274812240562;11:
> I honestly thought an Arena shooter was a shooter in which the determining factor was skill and intellect alone and not things like perks, or spawning with various weapons that are better than others, or getting things handed to you to assist gameplay.
>
> A game with equal starts, map pick ups, and a focus on map control falls into this category, because the determining factor is using what’s given to you (which are the same things everyone else gets). This is Halo 5. There’s nothing else like that on the market that I know of.

if that’s the case then how do tactical shooters differentiate?