What exactly is a Precursor?

I am slowly finishing the books, and I don’t want major spoilers but, I would like to know what a Precursor is.

Thanks

its a jawn

> its a jawn

Haha, what a hilarious joke!

/sarcasm

Precursors are the species that was dominant in the galaxy before the Forerunners.

Mild Spoiler: (Highlight to read obviously)
<mark>They also created and became the Flood over time.</mark>

> Precursors are the species that was dominant in the galaxy before the Forerunners.
>
>
> Mild Spoiler: (Highlight to read obviously)
> <mark>They also created and became the Flood over time.</mark>

Wait, really?

> its a jawn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc&list=PL26E5511A55833C37&index=12&feature=plpp_video

OT: Precursors are an extra galactic race that predated the Forerunners and were the only species to achieve Tier 0. Extra galactic meaning they can travel to other galaxies. Also it is unknown how many(If any) members of this species are alive, in our galaxy or another.

And I do believe Legend is trolling.

Yeah, that’s what it’s starting to look like.

Spoilers again:
<mark>Basically the way 343i is playing it out is that after creating the Flood, the Precursors “gave themselves” to it. The Flood isn’t just a constant hunger to consume all life, rather it’s supposedly the end to disease and strife or something like that, as well as living forever. 10,000 years ago humans thought they defeated the Flood by pushing it out of the galaxy’s bounds. But the Flood actually retreated because Humans impressed it, not because they found some “cure”. The Flood saw that Humanity was willing to sacrifice itself, and believed that over time they might come willingly, instead of forcefully.</mark>
<mark>It also seems like the “Final” or “Perfect” Flood form IS a Precursor.</mark>

Nope Acheron, this info is based on interpretation of Cakwas’ story in Halo: Primordium.

The Precursors were the ones that seeded life in the galaxy, and created both humans and Forerunners. The idealism of “the Mantle” originated from them- a love and appreciation of all life and the need to keep it safe. The Precursors were the only species that ever overachieved Forerunners in terms of technology, and had the ability to reach other galaxies in a timely manner through extremely evolved Slipspace technology.

They symbolize god in the Halo universe.

For a yet unknown reason, the Forerunners went to war with the Precursors and managed to kill most and drive the rest out of the galaxy. After they left, the Forerunners had their golden age, they thought they were supporting the Mantle, but since they were so keen on being above the rest of the galaxy, controlling them, and fighting wars with them they were in fact breaching the Mantle.

The Precursors then understood that the Forerunners and possibly even the whole galaxy must unite or vanquish- they created the Flood. The Flood is a parasitic organism that strives to consume all sentient species (species capable of warring and breaching the mantle) into one Gravemind of bodies. And after all the sentient species would be part of a Gravemind, there would be infinite peace in the galaxy (if there is just one faction, who will they go to war with?).

There are more details but I’d rather not get into it.

> Yeah, that’s what it’s starting to look like.
>
> Spoilers again:
> <mark>Basically the way 343i is playing it out is that after creating the Flood, the Precursors “gave themselves” to it. The Flood isn’t just a constant hunger to consume all life, rather it’s supposedly the end to disease and strife or something like that, as well as living forever.</mark> 10,000 years ago <mark>humans thought they defeated the Flood by pushing it out of the galaxy’s bounds. But the Flood actually retreated because Humans impressed it, not because they found some “cure”. The Flood saw that Humanity was willing to sacrifice itself, and believed that over time they might come willingly, instead of forcefully.</mark>
> <mark>It also seems like the “Final” or “Perfect” Flood form IS a Precursor.</mark>
>
>
> Nope Acheron, this info is based on interpretation of Cakwas’ story in Halo: Primordium.

Didn’t know how to higlight your post so I just un-highlighted. Didn’t work out well. It’s actually supposed to be 110,000 years ago, not 10,000.

Lobsters they have been spying on humans since the halo rings fired

>
> The Precursors were the ones that seeded life in the galaxy, and created both humans and Forerunners. The idealism of “the Mantle” originated from them- a love and appreciation of all life and the need to keep it safe. The Precursors were the only species that ever overachieved Forerunners in terms of technology, and had the ability to reach other galaxies in a timely manner through extremely evolved Slipspace technology.
>
> They symbolize god in the Halo universe.
>
> For a yet unknown reason, the Forerunners went to war with the Precursors and managed to kill most and drive the rest out of the galaxy. After they left, the Forerunners had their golden age, they thought they were supporting the Mantle, but since they were so keen on being above the rest of the galaxy, controlling them, and fighting wars with them they were in fact breaching the Mantle.
>
> The Precursors then understood that the Forerunners and possibly even the whole galaxy must unite or vanquish- they created the Flood. The Flood is a parasitic organism that strives to consume all sentient species (species capable of warring and breaching the mantle) into one Gravemind of bodies. And after all the sentient species would be part of a Gravemind, there would be infinite peace in the galaxy (if there is just one faction, who will they go to war with?).
>
> There are more details but I’d rather not get into it.
>

The reason is not unknown. It was the forerunners who went to war with the precursors. The precursors sought the get rid of the forerunners as they considered them to be failures, so the forerunners fought back. They have been “spying” on us since well before the rings fired. They created us, and we were always intended to be the ones to bear the mantle.

> > Yeah, that’s what it’s starting to look like.
> >
> > Spoilers again:
> > <mark>Basically the way 343i is playing it out is that after creating the Flood, the Precursors “gave themselves” to it. The Flood isn’t just a constant hunger to consume all life, rather it’s supposedly the end to disease and strife or something like that, as well as living forever.</mark> 10,000 years ago <mark>humans thought they defeated the Flood by pushing it out of the galaxy’s bounds. But the Flood actually retreated because Humans impressed it, not because they found some “cure”. The Flood saw that Humanity was willing to sacrifice itself, and believed that over time they might come willingly, instead of forcefully.</mark>
> > <mark>It also seems like the “Final” or “Perfect” Flood form IS a Precursor.</mark>
> >
> >
> > Nope Acheron, this info is based on interpretation of Cakwas’ story in Halo: Primordium.
>
> Didn’t know how to higlight your post so I just un-highlighted. Didn’t work out well. It’s actually supposed to be 110,000 years ago, not 10,000.

All you have to do is click and drag your mouse cursor over it. Like you would before you copy/paste

>
> The Precursors were the ones that seeded life in the galaxy, and created both humans and Forerunners. The idealism of “the Mantle” originated from them- a love and appreciation of all life and the need to keep it safe. The Precursors were the only species that ever overachieved Forerunners in terms of technology, and had the ability to reach other galaxies in a timely manner through extremely evolved Slipspace technology.
>
> They symbolize god in the Halo universe.
>
> For a yet unknown reason, the Forerunners went to war with the Precursors and managed to kill most and drive the rest out of the galaxy. After they left, the Forerunners had their golden age, they thought they were supporting the Mantle, but since they were so keen on being above the rest of the galaxy, controlling them, and fighting wars with them they were in fact breaching the Mantle.
>
> The Precursors then understood that the Forerunners and possibly even the whole galaxy must unite or vanquish- they created the Flood. The Flood is a parasitic organism that strives to consume all sentient species (species capable of warring and breaching the mantle) into one Gravemind of bodies. And after all the sentient species would be part of a Gravemind, there would be infinite peace in the galaxy (if there is just one faction, who will they go to war with?).
>
> There are more details but I’d rather not get into it.
>

Listen to this guy, not legend.

The Precursors were mentioned in the Bestiarum as the race preceding and might be hologized by the Forerunner, being theoretical “Transsentient” beings, having the ability to travel among galaxies and accelerate the evolution of intelligent life. The Precursors achieved a higher level technological advancement than the Forerunners, being Tier-0, or Transsentience on the Forerunners’ Technological Achievement Scale.

*From Halo Wikia

The word(s) that comes before your Curse

Example:
Mother Yoink!er
Son of a Yoink!
etc.

Next time we will go over Postcursors

In a way it reminds of starcraft:

The Xel’Naga create the protoss, but they eventually deem them to be failures. Then they eventually come across the zerh, all controlled by a central mind, which can absorb all other races and improve upon them. Ages after creating these two, and once the terran enter the mix, they come back to finish what they started, finish the assimilation of the protoss, humans, and heck, maybe even themselves into the zerg.

The Precursors are a poorly conceived plot device that have ripped the veil of mystery and awe away from the Forerunners, who they were created to replace. As 343 Industries decided to shine a garish spotlight on the enigmatic Forerunners, they realised that the justification that Bungie had used for much of the technology in the Halo universe (i.e. “The Forerunners left it behind”) would no longer be adequate, and so they replaced this with a truly inspired piece of creative thinking (i.e. “The Precursors left it behind”). Consequently, the Precursors are a superfluous addition to the Halo mythology, and if rumours about their ultimate fate are in fact true, then the Forerunners will not be the only Halo faction whose mystique and allure was undermined by these narrative abominations.

That’s what I think, anyway.

> >
> > The Precursors were the ones that seeded life in the galaxy, and created both humans and Forerunners. The idealism of “the Mantle” originated from them- a love and appreciation of all life and the need to keep it safe. The Precursors were the only species that ever overachieved Forerunners in terms of technology, and had the ability to reach other galaxies in a timely manner through extremely evolved Slipspace technology.
> >
> > They symbolize god in the Halo universe.
> >
> > For a yet unknown reason, the Forerunners went to war with the Precursors and managed to kill most and drive the rest out of the galaxy. After they left, the Forerunners had their golden age, they thought they were supporting the Mantle, but since they were so keen on being above the rest of the galaxy, controlling them, and fighting wars with them they were in fact breaching the Mantle.
> >
> > The Precursors then understood that the Forerunners and possibly even the whole galaxy must unite or vanquish- they created the Flood. The Flood is a parasitic organism that strives to consume all sentient species (species capable of warring and breaching the mantle) into one Gravemind of bodies. And after all the sentient species would be part of a Gravemind, there would be infinite peace in the galaxy (if there is just one faction, who will they go to war with?).
> >
> > There are more details but I’d rather not get into it.
> >

>
> Listen to this guy, not legend.

What’s funny about you making this statement is that we said effectively the same thing, but with different levels of detail. He explained everything, I only answered the question which was “What are they, without major spoilers”.

The Precursor is an alien life-form with mighty telepathic powers, who crashed his Dreadnaught into Dyson Sphere many eons ago. Realizing the danger he posed, the Forerunner elders of the Dyson sphere erected five Energy Totems in places thought to be vulnerable to the Precursor’s power. Upon awakening he used his telepathy to call on his Flood army, to destroy the Totems, and free him from the wreckage of his Dreadnaught. He also made deals with other races in return for their help in his mission.