What exactly are the Prometheans?

Ok, I’m confused. I played and got to the cutscene where the Librarian talked to Master Chief about the Forerunners’ past. Are the Prometheans actually A.I. or humans inside combat armor? Did the ancient humans who got converted into Promethean Knights died?

prometheans are people who are now robots so the flood cant use them as food. turned by didact. basically.

basically there a human mind trapped in a robot

> basically there a human mind trapped in a robot

And are forced to do the Didact’s bidding

Promethian AI (that we see in H4), are both Composed PromethIan warriors and Ancient Humans that were Composed against their will

The Prometheans are ancient humans who were “digitized” by the composer in order to combat the flood. Since they only assimilated living tissue, the composer immortalized humans in digital form. However the human’s personalities deteriorated and all attempts to bring them back to human state failed. The Diadact sought to do this to the entire human race, choosing to fight the flood as more important than preserving the the human race, but the Librarian stopped him.

I’m guessing he used the Composer on them, took their digital forms and put them inside that armor. Remember that the Librarian said that their minds and stuff got fragmented, I think it fits in on them.

> basically there a human mind trapped in a robot

Haha I like that!

> The Prometheans are ancient humans who were “digitized” by the composer in order to combat the flood. Since they only assimilated living tissue, the composer immortalized humans in digital form. However the human’s personalities deteriorated and all attempts to bring them back to human state failed. The Diadact sought to do this to the entire human race, choosing to fight the flood as more important than preserving the the human race, but the Librarian stopped him.

Wow, thanks! That makes sense now.

Something that just struck me…

Does that mean when the Halo rings are fired, instead of just killing all sentient life, they would be digitized? Or was that just something reserved for humans?