What ever happened to Getting Better At Shooting?

Remember the concept of getting better at a Halo game? Like, when you weren’t good, you played more and more to get better at the game. Then, you did get better and felt some sort of rewarding experience.

It seems like players no longer want to get better. They want AAs and ARs and Hammers and Swords. These players expect this now from new Halo games.

I’ve heard people claim that they will no longer play playlists that feature DMR starts that used to be AR starts.

Have bad players lost the will to try and improve since Halo has gotten easier and easier to play?

Is this Halo generation filled with people that have no drive to improve? To work at it? To take it to another level?

These players are only partially to blame. The game gets dumbed down every iteration, players expect to have kills handed to them and why shouldn’t they.

Can Halo4 deliver nothing but an experience that you have to actually shoot well to win? I’ve seen enough games with hand holding from Halo. I want to see a real shooter return for Halo4. Let’s use guns again. Leave the swords and hammers and ARs for campaign. Players will be forced to learn how to play the game as a shooter. Everyone will improve, because there’s no other option. Maybe, just maybe, everyone will fall in love with Halo again.

Leave swords, hammers, assault rifles?

No.

> Leave swords, hammers, assault rifles?
>
> No.

Why not? You can still melee.

The AR can never work as your starting weapon. There is no way to make it take any skill.

Why is it so crazy to expect a FPS game to only feature a weapon that takes a degree of shooting skill at start. Its a shooter. Worse case, start everyone with an AR secondary. But lets shoot again. We’ve had a decade of SMGs and ARs and its diluting what the shooting in a shooter should be.

Why is the premise of returning to skill so scary anyway? Matchmaking will match you with players of your skill level until you get better, and then you play better players. That’s the job of MM. Let’s not fear skill. Let’s embrace it. Matchmaking can sort out the rest. Everyone is safe. Everyone is covered. Everyone will learn how to really shoot again. EVERYONE.

It will make the entire landscape of players more enjoyable to interact with. As it stands, when good players run into bad players, the bad players lose no matter what the starting weapon is. If everyone is playing the same shooter, MM will be better able to match us. As it stands, the player base is wildly different and amorphous. If you can only shoot a skilled weapon, players can only get better because that’s all the game has to offer. If you can’t do it, maybe Halo isn’t the game for you. And there are always customs or firefight.

Let’s move on from this skill barren experience. Let’s all play a real shooter again. Is this too crazy?

I totally disagree with taking out swords and such because they are power weapons that should be controlled by map control or teamwork, they should be part of tactics. Otherwise I agree about the new generation of players, just look how CoD is popular.

It seems to me that there is something for everyone, in terms of how they want to play the game. If you want more competition then play those particular playlists, and yes I am of the opinion the competition is out there. Speaking only for myself, I choose to try and become a better player. There is always going to be players out there who don’t.

I like to mix it up as much as I can, and that is one of the reasons I like this game so much. I am not talking about Reach specifically but all the games in general. I recently went back to play H3 and ODST a bit, and was reminded of how diverse these series of games are. I appreciate that. I don’t want the same thing regurgitate over and over again, that to me is not all that exciting.

However, I do see how if one cannot have the same type of gameplay to perfect themselves on then it is more difficult to find your true potential in a certain area. Isn’t that something that MLG can provide? I will admit I have only been around for a couple of months, but the amount of like minded players I have found shows me that we are out there. Players who want to get better, who love this game, and are respectful while having fun. There are also groups of players who pride themselves on being jerks and finding the best camping spots to hide in when they “gain the lead” in a match. So it takes all kinds, and that’s something that is needed to keep this whole thing going.

Don’t fret OP, there’s something for everybody, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

> I totally disagree with taking out swords and such because they are power weapons that should be controlled by map control or teamwork, they should be part of tactics. Otherwise I agree about the new generation of players, just look how CoD is popular.

Well, you’ve got to aim something in COD. Everyone has to at the very least aim. You have to try to improve at COD and there is no choice but to improve.

Halo has turned into a game where you literally don’t need to improve. You can start with Armor Lock and a Needler or a Sword in some playlists. You can’t then take these players into the rest of the game because they never learned how to actually play it. Because they don’t have to.

All that’s left of Halo Reach is the Infection community. The rest of the population is lost & confused player base looking for a good game of Halo. When INfection players step out into a real game of Halo its not fun for them or the people beating up on them.

If everyone has to learn how to shoot again, everyone will find good games. Trueskill will have an easier job of understanding skill. Everything becomes simpler, cleaner, better.

> It seems to me that there is something for everyone, in terms of how they want to play the game. If you want more competition then play those particular playlists, and yes I am of the opinion the competition is out there. Speaking only for myself, I choose to try and become a better player. There is always going to be players out there who don’t.
>
> I like to mix it up as much as I can, and that is one of the reasons I like this game so much. I am not talking about Reach specifically but all the games in general. I recently went back to play H3 and ODST a bit, and was reminded of how diverse these series of games are. I appreciate that. I don’t want the same thing regurgitate over and over again, that to me is not all that exciting.
>
> However, I do see how if one cannot have the same type of gameplay to perfect themselves on then it is more difficult to find your true potential in a certain area. Isn’t that something that MLG can provide? I will admit I have only been around for a couple of months, but the amount of like minded players I have found shows me that we are out there. Players who want to get better, who love this game, and are respectful while having fun. There are also groups of players who pride themselves on being jerks and finding the best camping spots to hide in when they “gain the lead” in a match. So it takes all kinds, and that’s something that is needed to keep this whole thing going.
>
> Don’t fret OP, there’s something for everybody, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t want something for everybody. I want EVERYTHING for everybody. Customs is where something for everybody can be had.

Halo has an identity crisis right now. Trueskill can’t function as it stands right now. There is no core to Halo gameplay. Its gotten so diluted I don’t know what it even is anymore.

MM should be shrunk down drastically for Halo4. Let’s start over. And let’s do it with shooting and aiming at the core. We need a total reboot. Back to the clean and simple basics. Then, I honestly believe the entire population will be better served. Hey, go play some infection and have fun, but understand how to actually shoot when you play something else. Understand the basics. Right now, you don’t really need to know how to play Halo at all. What is Halo?

> I don’t want something for everybody. I want EVERYTHING for everybody. Customs is where something for everybody can be had.
>
> Halo has an identity crisis right now. Trueskill can’t function as it stands right now. There is no core to Halo gameplay. Its gotten so diluted I don’t know what it even is anymore.
>
> MM should be shrunk down drastically for Halo4. Let’s start over. And let’s do it with shooting and aiming at the core. We need a total reboot. Back to the clean and simple basics. Then, I honestly believe the entire population will be better served. Hey, go play some infection and have fun, but understand how to actually shoot when you play something else. Understand the basics. Right now, you don’t really need to know how to play Halo at all. What is Halo?

Isn’t this already accomplished by Swat and MLG? And you are assuming that this is what everyone wants. We all know there are players who just love Infection and that’s where they stay. If you create a system where the only type of players can be the ones who know all about the game well then you are going to lose a lot of players. In fact I know gamers that won’t tackle Halo MM because of the fact that it is difficult to play. I can attest to the difficulty of it. If you look at my stats it would appear that I am a terrible player, but I am learning. I am devoting time and energy to it. Not everyone has that.

Besides why does the ability of another player affect how you play? Yes, I understand when you have someone on your team who doesn’t know what is really going on or how to pace thier shots affects your teams ability to win. But still, I have been in both those situations, and I did come out of them frustrated and annoyed with myself and others, but I don’t believe that is something that can be fixed by going backwards and starting over. They might lose a lot of players that way, and in the long run that is no good for any of us.

I do not presume to speak for the entire population, only my little corner of it, and I like the way things are now. Don’t get me wrong I look forward to the next TU, but whether or not it changes core gameplay I’m in this for the long haul.

People love fast kill times. I honestly think that is a common theme in video games that is overlooked most of the time. The kill times have gotten slower ever since the launch of Halo: CE. With that being said, people have gotten lazy/fed up with getting legit kills (because they take too long), so they play zombies, swat, and snipers.

I just hate AA like sprint and other useless, un-halo features like bloom. Casual gamers ruined reach and they are going to ruin h4

> People love fast kill times. I honestly think that is a common theme in video games that is overlooked most of the time. The kill times have gotten slower ever since the launch of Halo: CE. With that being said, people have gotten lazy/fed up with getting legit kills (because they take too long), so they play zombies, swat, and snipers.

An excellent point.

I fear 343 must somehow understand what slow kill times do to the rest of the game.

We need Halo2 kill times back. That, I feel, was the perfect kill speed. Not crazy fast, but not too slow. It was just right. It felt like Halo.

> I just hate AA like sprint and other useless, un-halo features like bloom. Casual gamers ruined reach and they are going to ruin h4

No. Halo4 can be saved.

Bring the skill gap back Frankie. Let MM do the work.

this doesnt affect me as I rule with either

Assault rifles aren’t great at long range. I don’t really use sword or hammer, I usually use the pistol.

I come from a school older than yours. And my school asks “what ever happened to gamers expanding their skillsets?” And sometimes I answer “because most haven’t a clue as to what Nintendo Hard is. Or what it was like to scrounge every piece of refundable material you could find so you could earn quarters to play multiple machines and times at the arcades. Or what it was like to have to carry a entire PC system (tower, cathode monitor, peripherals, etc) to play LAN parties/tournaments… Or what it was like to have Halo bring that entire feeling into a little yet heavy Box that heated my room and filled my brain with pew pew pew and bang bang KABOOOM!”

I don’t think there was such a thing as a casual gamer back in my “Golden Years.” Don’t worry, I call these days the “Platinum Days.” If the the next-gens perform to my hopes, they could get into the “Unobtainium Years.”

So what you’re really saying is make Halo like CoD?

I’m all for getting better with the precision weapons but not everyone wants to use a precision weapon. Not everyone wants to be like precision weapon users. They want the AR, they want the Sword, they want the Hammer, etc.

So why are you crying for an entire game based on “skill” using precision weapons when there are playlists that already solve this such as SWAT and MLG?

Again, I’m all for skill because I like to be skilled at this game and I’m continually trying to become more skilled at it but realistically, not everyone wants to get more skilled. They just want to play.

It sounds like what you’re getting in Reach isn’t satisfying enough. I don’t blame you if that’s the case.

I agree OP, shooting in FPS’s is just getting easier and easier and that is the main skill component of a FPS lol. Coming from a background of Quake and CS in the old days(although admitedly I was young and average at them), the shooting skill in todays FPS’s are a disgrace to the once HIGHLY competitve FPS genre.The FPS’s these days are HEAVILY catered to casual players, and it seems the golden days of competitve FPS are behind us as nobody wants to take a stand.

I know a little aim assist is needed for console games, but I feel H4 should bring us back to the CE days with only enough aim assist to allow for seamless play. The bulllet magnetism definitely needs to be lowered as it really isnt needed, and overall this will help balance the Halo weapon sandbox and make the game more about player skill than execution. We should be doing whats best for the game, not whats best for casual players.

H4 must be saved. No AAs and Bloom and be like H2/H3

I do agree that the game shouldn’t be dumbed down with such flagrantly-unskilled elements as Armor Lock, Sword Block, and so on.

However, I feel the need to state that shooting isn’t the only skill in FPS games. If it were, the genre would be rather boring. There are other skills one can have, i.e. stealthy movement, coordination with one’s team, effective timing when using abilities/powerups/equipment/deployables/etc…

Certainly the game shouldn’t be dumbed down… but that doesn’t mean that other elements shouldn’t be introduced, if they provide or are intended to provide a more tactical side to gameplay.

> br />
> Certainly the game shouldn’t be dumbed down…

LOL a little to late for that, its been happening since H2 and we all know the reason why.