What does Thel think happened to the Chief?

‘Hard to believe he’s dead.’ -Lord Hood
‘Were it so easy.’ -Thel (Arbiter)

Thel seems to know or believe that the Chief survived the explosion of Installation 04B and Installation 00. How does he know, or why does he believe this? What does he think happened to the Chief? Does Lord Hood not believe him?

Also, ‘We made it. Well… some of us made it.’ Do the Chief and Cortana think that the Arbiter didn’t make it and got caught in the explosion or are they just referring to Johnson and everyone else caught in the explosion?

> ‘Hard to believe he’s dead.’ -Lord Hood
> ‘Were it so easy.’ -Thel (Arbiter)
>
> Thel seems to know or believe that the Chief survived the explosion of Installation 04B and Installation 00. How does he know, or why does he believe this? What does he think happened to the Chief? Does Lord Hood not believe him?
>
> Also, ‘We made it. Well… some of us made it.’ Do the Chief and Cortana think that the Arbiter didn’t make it and got caught in the explosion or are they just referring to Johnson and everyone else caught in the explosion?

I think the Arbiter believes the Chief is dead to be honest. The “were it so easy” line is just a phrase he frequently says and I think he just meant he didn’t go down without a fight or it took a lot to kill him. Lord Hood definitely thinks the Chief is dead. (On a side note, I hope Lord Hood returns to Halo 4.)

As for Cortana’s line, They may or may not know that the Arbiter survived. Im not too sure to be honest but Im gonna say they think they survived. Some of us made it is probably referring to her and chief surviving while so many others like johnson were lost in battle. Sad line actually.

… the arbiter thinks he’s dead…

Were it so easy to believe he was dead. In othe words, it’s hard to believe he’s dead.

I think when he said “were it so easy” he meant that if it was easy to beleive the Chief was dead, he would have been dead a long time ago. And as for Cortanas line I always thought she was reffering to the fact that half of the ship wasnt there anymore.

I took those lines to mean that neither groups (the Arbiter, or the Chief and Cortana) really new what happened to the other. Despite popular belief, the FUD wasn’t split cleanly in half. The Chief/Cortana have most of the ship. Thel on the other hand had the front and that’s it. Given that they have most of the ship and made it through the Portal, I think Cortana probably believes that Thel perished.

Thel likely thinks that the Chief is dead but probably has some lingering doubts. This is the human who fought against the Covenant and Flood, destroyed the ring and disgraced him, made it back to Earth, assassinated a Hierarchs, went into the most heavily defended area in the Covenant empire, in the middle of a civil war, while the flood were invading and despite being targeted by all sides, made it into the Forerunner dreadnought, survived yet another Covenant stronghold alone, jumped out of the ship mid-flight and survived the fall to Earth, teamed up with and fought alongside against the Covenant and Flood, went through the Portal, fought through Covenant forces, stopped the Ark firing the Halos, was there when Thel killed Truth, fought through a Flood hive alone for the most part, killed the monitor and made it to the ship in time.

After all that, I think it would be a little hard for Thel “honourable death” Vadam to fully accept that the Spartan was finished by a collapsing portal.

> I took those lines to mean that neither groups (the Arbiter, or the Chief and Cortana) really new what happened to the other. Despite popular belief, the FUD wasn’t split cleanly in half. The Chief/Cortana have most of the ship. Thel on the other hand had the front and that’s it. Given that they have most of the ship and made it through the Portal, I think Cortana probably believes that Thel perished.
>
> Thel likely thinks that the Chief is dead but probably has some lingering doubts. This is the human who fought against the Covenant and Flood, destroyed the ring and disgraced him, made it back to Earth, assassinated a Hierarchs, went into the most heavily defended area in the Covenant empire, in the middle of a civil war, while the flood were invading and despite being targeted by all sides, made it into the Forerunner dreadnought, survived yet another Covenant stronghold alone, jumped out of the ship mid-flight and survived the fall to Earth, teamed up with and fought alongside against the Covenant and Flood, went through the Portal, fought through Covenant forces, stopped the Ark firing the Halos, was there when Thel killed Truth, fought through a Flood hive alone for the most part, killed the monitor and made it to the ship in time.
>
> After all that, I think it would be a little hard for Thel “honourable death” Vadam to fully accept that the Spartan was finished by a collapsing portal.

Quoted for truth

the other thing to remember is at one point Thel and the Chief were trying to kill each other, he’s also seen first hand just how resiliant the chief is (seriously, who survives a fall like he did at the start of halo 3 and then moves fast enough to put someone elses’s pistol that he snatched into the mouth of an invisible elite)

I kind of hope that in halo 4 we get to see the arbiter learn that the cheif is still alive. It a potential way to “humanize” some of the elites (ie, the ones not trying to kill us) which is something that’s been done a good amount in the extended fiction but not so much in the games.

I think in many ways the relationship between the Chief and the Arbiter is just as important as between the Chief and Cortana. Different yes but just as significant.

I can’t imagine that 343i wouldn’t reunite the two characters. After all at the end of Halo 3 and after the hog run you can really sense the respect the two characters have for each other, it would be a shame not to explore that in the new trilogy.

@Austin and Ericky, I think there’s more meaning to the line than that… I can’t be sure, but it really sounds like it to me. But yes, Hood definitely believes the Chief is dead, at least at first.

@Doppe I always thought that too. She meant that they made it but the Arbiter didn’t, since that part of the ship is gone. But considering the Arbiter was in the frontmost part of the ship, and the ship went forward through the portal, I don’t see why Cortana would think the Arbiter didn’t make it. That’s what lead me to kind of change my mind and think she might be referring to Johnson and everyone else.

@Eben I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I still wonder if Cortana really thinks that Thel is dead. He was in the front of the ship. And her quote ‘we made it’ seems to mean ‘we made it through the portal’ (rather than ‘we made it through the challenges, we’re alive’) so if the quote does refer to the Arbiter, it doesn’t make sense. But of course she might believe that he made it through the portal, but died when the ship broke.

@Nomis and Rocket I completely agree, I really want to see the Arbiter return. However, we have no proof that some of the elites are still on our side (re ‘the ones not trying to kill us’) at least as far as I know. Maybe the elites still see forerunners as gods even though they know the Great Journey is a lie and then take the forerunners’ side. However, I don’t think 343 would make the Arbiter and Half Jaw turn on us. That would be too depressing.

> I think when he said “were it so easy” he meant that if it was easy to believe the Chief was dead, he would have been dead a long time ago. And as for Cortana’s line I always thought she was referring to the fact that half of the ship wasn’t there anymore.

Pretty agreeing with this and the Arbiter isn’t easily blinded. I’m sure he thinks he is alive and will be back. Simple as that…

> @Nomis and Rocket I completely agree, I really want to see the Arbiter return. However, we have no proof that some of the elites are still on our side (re ‘the ones not trying to kill us’) at least as far as I know. Maybe the elites still see forerunners as gods even though they know the Great Journey is a lie and then take the forerunners’ side. However, I don’t think 343 would make the Arbiter and Half Jaw turn on us. That would be too depressing.

its mentioned in some of the extended ficction (Glass lands I believe) that opion amongst the elites is pretty shattered, some still believe the forerunners are gods. Some feel betrayed but want to wipe out the humans still and some want the alliance with the humans and feel betrayed by the prophets/themselves

I am really hoping that we get to see some of these divides get played out in halo 4

I hope so too. I don’t feel like fighting Elites again in another story through a whole campaign. In fact I am still hoping the alliance is upheld as I have grown fond of the species in the series.