What does "Modern Shooter" meant to you?

I’ve been reading the forums for the last few days and the only justification I come across repeatedly for the changes in Halo 5 is to make it a “Modern Shooter”. Being a long-time fan of Halo, and an avid FPS gamer, this description of shooting games completely escapes me.

It seems to mean that all games should look and play the same, which kills diversity. Please explain this to me!

Something that feels new, fun and refreshing, something that feels more like a full game rather than a large map pack of a previous title with 1 or two new bells and whistles.

> 2533274857398125;2:
> Something that feels new, fun and refreshing, something that feels more like a full game rather than a large map pack of a previous title with 1 or two new bells and whistles.

This sounds more like the description of the evolution of a series, not the definition of “Modern Shooter”.

A shooter like fast food.

> 2533274794673678;3:
> > 2533274857398125;2:
> > Something that feels new, fun and refreshing, something that feels more like a full game rather than a large map pack of a previous title with 1 or two new bells and whistles.
>
>
> This sounds more like the description of the evolution of a series, not a brand new “Modern Shooter”.

Well, good thing Halo 5 is an evolution of the series.

> 2533274832341423;5:
> > 2533274794673678;3:
> > > 2533274857398125;2:
> > > Something that feels new, fun and refreshing, something that feels more like a full game rather than a large map pack of a previous title with 1 or two new bells and whistles.
> >
> >
> >
> > This sounds more like the description of the evolution of a series, not a brand new “Modern Shooter”.
>
>
> Well, good thing Halo 5 is an evolution of the series.

Okay, but my question has nothing to do with the evolution of a series. :slight_smile:

I’m asking for the definition of “Modern Shooter”. Do you have a definition you would like to share?

A shooter that takes place in modern time comes to mind.

But for real though, we need to stop worrying about being modern and in the now, we need to worry about innovating so the game can stay relevant not just in the now but in the on going future. Something I haven’t seen a game do for a long…long time.

Edit: modern shooters as of now are generally shooters that contain realistic settings, regening health, ADS and sprint along with other things that separate them but thats the “general” trend

> 2533274836676480;7:
> A shooter that takes place in modern time comes to mind.
>
> But for real though, we need to stop worrying about being modern and in the now, we need to worry about innovating so the game can stay relevant not just in the now but in the on going future. Something I haven’t seen a game do for a long…long time.
>
> Edit: modern shooters as of now are generally shooters that contain realistic settings, regening health, ADS and sprint along with other things that separate them but thats the “general” trend

This seems to be a description of COD/Destiny/Titanfall. Is this what people mean Halo 5 should be like?

Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.

> 2533274833600810;9:
> Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.

What makes zoom -> smart scope modern?

What makes sprint modern?

What does it mean for a game to feel new and fresh if the features added already exist in other games?

> 2533274794673678;10:
> > 2533274833600810;9:
> > Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.
>
>
> What makes zoom -> smart scope modern?
>
> What makes sprint modern?
>
> What does it mean for a game to feel new and fresh if the features added already exist in other games?

Now you’re just trying to split hairs while seeming “Philosophical”. Modern shooters mean that, shooters that have come out in the last 3 years or so and the traits of those games that the general public have come to expect. Nothing more, nothing less. I guarantee you if you go down the street and ask random guys what are some modern features of FPS titles, they will say sprint/movement options, and ADS.

> 2533274808571422;11:
> > 2533274794673678;10:
> > > 2533274833600810;9:
> > > Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.
> >
> >
> >
> > What makes zoom -> smart scope modern?
> >
> > What makes sprint modern?
> >
> > What does it mean for a game to feel new and fresh if the features added already exist in other games?
>
>
> Now you’re just trying to split hairs while seeming “Philosophical”. Modern shooters mean that, shooters that have come out in the last 3 years or so and the traits of those games that the general public have come to expect. Nothing more, nothing less. I guarantee you if you go down the street and ask random guys what are some modern features of FPS titles, they will say sprint/movement options, and ADS.

Sprint and ads are hardly modern. They have been In games well over 10 years now. As far as I can tell modern means everything should play the same. Well if I want to play a twitch shooter I’ll Play -Yoinking!- call of duty as they did it right. Destiny Is a terrible twitch shooter that isn’t fun and so far halo 5 is turning out the same way. How about we “innovate” instead of adding rehashed “modern” mechanics that are damn near in every game now because creativity is too hard. Counter strike doesn’t fall victim to the modern complex and it feels great and plenty of people agree. Enough to make valve tons of money

A shooter created in the modern day.

> 2533274794673678;10:
> > 2533274833600810;9:
> > Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.
>
>
> What makes zoom -> smart scope modern?
>
> What makes sprint modern?
>
> What does it mean for a game to feel new and fresh if the features added already exist in other games?

Because Smart scope is an evolution of zoom, both visually and in gameplay.

Sprint can be considered a modern feature because it’s part of a trend in video games nowadays. Players feel a game is more immersive if there’s a sprint mechanic.

These features do exist in other games, but not previously in Halo.

There shouldn’t be a such thing as a norm for all shooters!

All games should be aiming for different markets. Fast paced twitch shooting = CoD. Tactical army style = Battlefield, Map control + teamwork = halo. All games should stick to their individual formulas. It feels like a lot of shooters are starting to mesh into the same categories; partly because there is this “modern shooter” or norm every game “must have”.

nah halo doesnt need to stay exactly like the past iterations but it doesn’t “need” certain things. It needs whatever it needs to stay halo and still improve!

> 2533274808571422;11:
> > 2533274794673678;10:
> > > Modern to me can be a bit difficult to truly define. To make a game more modern, you can either change features of the gameplay or add in cosmetic changes. Changing Zoom to Smart Scope is a modern change, adding in Sprint helps the game feel more modern. I guess Modern just means it’s a game that feels like it is new and fresh.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > What does it mean for a game to feel new and fresh if the features added already exist in other games?
>
>
> Now you’re just trying to split hairs while seeming “Philosophical”. Modern shooters mean that, shooters that have come out in the last 3 years or so and the traits of those games that the general public have come to expect. Nothing more, nothing less. I guarantee you if you go down the street and ask random guys what are some modern features of FPS titles, they will say sprint/movement options, and ADS.

Actually quite the opposite. I asked for a definition and all I get are generalizations. This isn’t about being philosophical, it’s about giving a straight answer with backing statements that are as objective as possible. That’s probably the exact opposite of being philosophical.

> 2533274857398125;2:
> Something that feels new, fun and refreshing, something that feels more like a full game rather than a large map pack of a previous title with 1 or two new bells and whistles.

If you are referring to Halo 1-3 not having enough innovation i have to disagree.

Halo 2 introduced online multiplayer

Halo 3 introduced forge and theatre mode

Those are Incredible improvements! Not just bells and whistles! What halo 5 needs is its own big new thing that adds not changes

> 2533274833600810;14:
> > 2533274794673678;10:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> Because Smart scope is an evolution of zoom, both visually and in gameplay.
>
> Sprint can be considered a modern feature because it’s part of a trend in video games nowadays. Players feel a game is more immersive if there’s a sprint mechanic.
>
> These features do exist in other games, but not previously in Halo.

Smart Scope is AN evolution of zoom. Does that mean it is automatically modern and without fault? Zoom could evolve in an infinity of ways. So again I ask, what makes this permutation modern?

Well sprint was in a previous Halo[4]. Because some players FEEL the game is more immersive does not mean it makes the game PLAY better, this was obvious in Halo 4. Why is it now modern?

It seems like modernizing is being confused with conforming…

> 2535448600499399;19:
> It seems like modernizing is being confused with conforming…

Agreed, and this is the point I’m trying to make with this thread. All arguments for sprint and other spartan abilities are centered around modernizing the game. The problem is “Modern Shooter” is a blanket statement for those who want generic functionality in an arena shooter where it doesn’t belong.

I’ve seen well articulated arguments against these features, but nothing that articulates why they belong.