What do YOU think of Reach?

Note: This is not a flame thread, I just want opinions, not arguments.

Hello Halo Fans.

I was just wondering what you all thought of Halo: Reach.
To me, honestly, I dislike it, a lot.
It just doesn’t feel like a Halo to me.
I guess it’s because Im a die hard Halo fan, reading the books and all, but meh.

Flaws That I See:
Armor Abilities
The game is too… gray.
Crappy character development. (I couldn’t find anything to like about Noble Team.)
Canon Break. (People say without Noble Team, the Autumn wouldn’t have made it. False. If you’ve read the book, there was no Noble Team, and the Autumn made it.)
Weapon Bloom.

There’s quite a bit more, Im just too lazy to type them all.

REMEMBER:
This is ALL OPINION. Try not to start a giant argument, I don’t want this getting locked, I just want to know what the community thinks.

It’s alright.

I do agree with you. Halo Reach lacks what really happened, and it was a real crappy way for bungie to end with them. But the good thing is that 343 is trying to clean up the mess that bungie left behind.

But in all, I do think the colors are a little grey, and the AA is annoying and is not halo related at all. But I still do think the game is kind of fun to play. But not as fun as H:2 H:3.

Reach is my favorite 360 game, and it’s a lot of fun to play. Even with the gameplay changes it’s still very much Halo and is probably the best Live title out right now.

And while I know how you feel about Reach is you opinion, THIS…

> Canon Break. (People say without Noble Team, the Autumn wouldn’t have made it. False. If you’ve read the book, there was no Noble Team, and the Autumn made it.

…isn’t and there’s so much wrong with it it’s ridiculous.

Reach IS canon, the Autumn might not of made it to Installation 4 without Six’s Cortana fragment, and just because the book doesn’t mention them doesn’t mean Noble Team doesn’t exist. Game canon ALWAYS trumps book canon, no matter how much you like the books.

i like it. i wish forge world maps weren’t so gray but overall, it’s a fun game.

I get enjoyment out of it but it’s slower than Sonic moving underwater in the Labyrinth Zone (or Tidal Tempest for you Sonic CD fans out there, you’ll know what i mean). There’s some other flaws but those would belong in the Matchmaking forum threads and at this point, i’d just be repeating what I’ve said in past threads.

> Reach is my favorite 360 game, and it’s a lot of fun to play. Even with the gameplay changes it’s still very much Halo and is probably the best Live title out right now.
>
> And while I know how you feel about Reach is you opinion, THIS…
>
>
>
> > Canon Break. (People say without Noble Team, the Autumn wouldn’t have made it. False. If you’ve read the book, there was no Noble Team, and the Autumn made it.
>
> …isn’t and there’s so much wrong with it it’s ridiculous.
>
> Reach IS canon, the Autumn might not of made it to Installation 4 without Six’s Cortana fragment, and just because the book doesn’t mention them doesn’t mean Noble Team doesn’t exist. Game canon ALWAYS trumps book canon, no matter how much you like the books.

Why bother listening to a sub par story in the game when you can have a character development driven story that is not only coherent but much more interesting. Canon is what you make of it, neither Bungie nor 343 can decide which story a person prefers. I prefer the book story because it is the better story. I spit on Reach because the story feels not only rushed but only half complete.

Enjoyable game except for the atrocious multiplayer and horribly broken mechanics.

> > Reach is my favorite 360 game, and it’s a lot of fun to play. Even with the gameplay changes it’s still very much Halo and is probably the best Live title out right now.
> >
> > And while I know how you feel about Reach is you opinion, THIS…
> >
> >
> >
> > > Canon Break. (People say without Noble Team, the Autumn wouldn’t have made it. False. If you’ve read the book, there was no Noble Team, and the Autumn made it.
> >
> > …isn’t and there’s so much wrong with it it’s ridiculous.
> >
> > Reach IS canon, the Autumn might not of made it to Installation 4 without Six’s Cortana fragment, and just because the book doesn’t mention them doesn’t mean Noble Team doesn’t exist. Game canon ALWAYS trumps book canon, no matter how much you like the books.
>
> Why bother listening to a sub par story in the game when you can have a character development driven story that is not only coherent but much more interesting. Canon is what you make of it, neither Bungie nor 343 can decide which story a person prefers. I prefer the book story because it is the better story. I spit on Reach because the story feels not only rushed but only half complete.

I think you missed my point. I don’t care if you like or dislike Reach’s story; it’s childish and ignorant to say something is non-canon just because you don’t like the story, even more so if you can’t even get your facts straight. Canon is and will always be decided by Bungie and 343, not the fans.

But hey, if you love the book that did a Yoink!y job at describing the Fall of Reach as well then what can I say? Combine both stories to get an even better description of how Reach fell? Nah, that asking for too much.

Halo: Reach is my second favourite Halo Game with Halo 2 being the dominant first. Does this mean to say that I dislike some Halo Games? I love all Halo Games because I’m a Halo Fanboy. I’m not ashamed to say it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The story was an act of tragedy, defiance and last hope. Upon closer examination, I could really feel for Noble Team.

Jorge made me proud by sacrificing himself when he thought he was saving Reach but I was gut-wrenched to find out that destroying Long Night of Solace was all for nothing and I felt an immense guilt and tried to believe that he survived. When Kat died instantly, that scene actually managed to make me cry. Although my Brother (Who I was playing Co-Op with) called me a baby, I couldn’t help but feel further anguish. When Jun left Noble Team to escort Halsey from ONI: Sword Base to ONI: Castle Base, I felt like it was final goodbye. I felt sad leaving him. When Carter sacrificed his life to destroy the Scarab blocking Emile and 6, I knew I had to complete the mission so that his death would not go in vain. When Emile was ambushed by the Zealots and killed, I was angry because of the fact that everything was going wrong and it was all the Field Marshall’s fault. When The Pillar had left the atmosphre and 6 was left standing alone, I knew I had to make my last and defiant stand against the monsters that took my friends and fellow Humans away from me. Reach made me go through a bunch of emotional cues just like ODST had because its not the glorious Halo Trilogy feel that spent 7 Years following, it was a much darker and more devastating feel for me.

Matchmaking-Wise, I have no real issues. Armour Ability Users such as Sprinters and Armour Lockers are fine because they still fall for a Hologram after all these 10 Years of Halo Multiplayer. I will argue stuff like Sword Block and Grenade Bleedthrough are very VERY annoying but stuff like Bloom and Shield Bleedthrough, I hold no grudge against.

Firefight is an enjoyable past time that I can either play chaotically (Arcade) or Tactically (Custom Limited or ODST Gametypes)

Custom Games are as beast as they were in Halo 2 and 3 with stuff like RevBall and Easter Egg Hunt being Legendary.

Forge World is pretty much “My (Listen to this word carfully) Perfect Halo Map”. Its set on Installation 04, the Ringworld I love, its Huge, its has the same map layout as Coagulation in the Canyon and the Forge Objects are varied. I don’t see why people complain about the Grey Forge Pieces since Halo: CE is pretty much Blue, Green and Grey in pretty much most areas. The other Halo: Reach maps are diverse in different colours.

Theater is Fine in my standards.

So I guess I’ll lay down my Conclusion. I can relate to Halo Fans who dislike Reach. I can see why some trivia fans dislike the contradictions and I can see why some Competitive fans dislike the Gameplay Mechanic Changes. Halo: Reach however is as close to Halo 2 as to what made “Halo” for me. To explore a fantastic location and to become one with the stories that they tell.

This is my Opinion. My taste in the Game. This does not mean to say that I hate the other Halo Games. I love all Halo Games but this is what I truely believe in. It would be a shame if some people would take my opinion to heart and judge me personally for it. You should never judge a person’s emotional stature for their beliefs.

When we say it’s not canon, it’s not canon.
We’re not just making it up because we don’t like it.
Sure, the game canon is more popular than the book, but the book came FIRST.
The book created the canon, and is keeping it going.

> The story was an act of tragedy, defiance and last hope. Upon closer examination, I could really feel for Noble Team.
>
> Jorge made me proud by sacrificing himself when he thought he was saving Reach but I was gut-wrenched to find out that destroying Long Night of Solace was all for nothing and I felt an immense guilt and tried to believe that he survived. When Kat died instantly, that scene actually managed to make me cry. Although my Brother (Who I was playing Co-Op with) called me a baby, I couldn’t help but feel further anguish. When Jun left Noble Team to escort Halsey from ONI: Sword Base to ONI: Castle Base, I felt like it was final goodbye. I felt sad leaving him. When Carter sacrificed his life to destroy the Scarab blocking Emile and 6, I knew I had to complete the mission so that his death would not go in vain. When Emile was ambushed by the Zealots and killed, I was angry because of the fact that everything was going wrong and it was all the Field Marshall’s fault. When The Pillar had left the atmosphre and 6 was left standing alone, I knew I had to make my last and defiant stand against the monsters that took my friends and fellow Humans away from me. Reach made me go through a bunch of emotional cues just like ODST had because its not the glorious Halo Trilogy feel that spent 7 Years following, it was a much darker and more devastating feel for me.
>
> Matchmaking-Wise, I have no real issues. Armour Ability Users such as Sprinters and Armour Lockers are fine because they still fall for a Hologram after all these 10 Years of Halo Multiplayer. I will argue stuff like Sword Block and Grenade Bleedthrough are very VERY annoying but stuff like Bloom and Shield Bleedthrough, I hold no grudge against.
>
> Firefight is an enjoyable past time that I can either play chaotically (Arcade) or Tactically (Custom Limited or ODST Gametypes)
>
> Custom Games are as beast as they were in Halo 2 and 3 with stuff like RevBall and Easter Egg Hunt being Legendary.
>
> Forge World is pretty much “My (Listen to this word carfully) Perfect Halo Map”. Its set on Installation 04, the Ringworld I love, its Huge, its has the same map layout as Coagulation in the Canyon and the Forge Objects are varied. I don’t see why people complain about the Grey Forge Pieces since Halo: CE is pretty much Blue, Green and Grey in pretty much most areas. The other Halo: Reach maps are diverse in different colours.
>
> Theater is Fine in my standards.
>
> So I guess I’ll lay down my Conclusion. I can relate to Halo Fans who dislike Reach. I can see why some trivia fans dislike the contradictions and I can see why some Competitive fans dislike the Gameplay Mechanic Changes. Halo: Reach however is as close to Halo 2 as to what made “Halo” for me. To explore a fantastic location and to become one with the stories that they tell.
>
> This is my Opinion. My taste in the Game. This does not mean to say that I hate the other Halo Games. I love all Halo Games but this is what I truely believe in. It would be a shame if some people would take my opinion to heart and judge me personally for it. You should never judge a person’s emotional stature for their beliefs.

this

@King Sangos
I respect all of that, but to me, there wasn’t much character development.
I thought all of the characters died in sort of a cliche way.
When Carter died, it was totally avoidable. Emile and Noble 6 are SUPER SOLDIERS.
They could have sprinted passed that Scarab no problem, because the Scarab gun takes 15 seconds to charge up anyway.
When Emile died, “Who’s next?” and then he gets stabbed, was cliche. Fact. I saw it coming, because that’s been done in so many games/movies before.

Nevertheless, I respect your opinions, although I may strongly disagree with most of them, but I suppose that’s why they’re called opinions!

> > > Reach is my favorite 360 game, and it’s a lot of fun to play. Even with the gameplay changes it’s still very much Halo and is probably the best Live title out right now.
> > >
> > > And while I know how you feel about Reach is you opinion, THIS…
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > > Canon Break. (People say without Noble Team, the Autumn wouldn’t have made it. False. If you’ve read the book, there was no Noble Team, and the Autumn made it.
> > >
> > > …isn’t and there’s so much wrong with it it’s ridiculous.
> > >
> > > Reach IS canon, the Autumn might not of made it to Installation 4 without Six’s Cortana fragment, and just because the book doesn’t mention them doesn’t mean Noble Team doesn’t exist. Game canon ALWAYS trumps book canon, no matter how much you like the books.
> >
> > Why bother listening to a sub par story in the game when you can have a character development driven story that is not only coherent but much more interesting. Canon is what you make of it, neither Bungie nor 343 can decide which story a person prefers. I prefer the book story because it is the better story. I spit on Reach because the story feels not only rushed but only half complete.
>
> I think you missed my point. I don’t care if you like or dislike Reach’s story; it’s childish and ignorant to say something is non-canon just because you don’t like the story, even more so if you can’t even get your facts straight. Canon is and will always be decided by Bungie and 343, not the fans.
>
> But hey, if you love the book that did a Yoink!y job at describing the Fall of Reach as well then what can I say? Combine both stories to get an even better description of how Reach fell? Nah, that asking for too much.

And you’ve missed my point entirely. I never said that 343 and Bungie don’t decide what is canon. I said quite clearly if you were intelligent enough to notice that 343 nor Bungie can decide what a person thinks about the story that has been presented to them.

Bungie officially has no say in it anymore. They sold the rights to Microsoft so we can remove them from the picture, 343 sit in the Halo chair now and as a company they have the right to choose the story they want to go with.
I was presented with two stories The Fall of Reach and Halo: Reach. With the Fall of Reach I was presented with good character development, interesting plot, fantastic storyline and a brilliant ending. With Halo: Reach I got a half -Yoinked!- plot, terribly boring characters and deaths that I wouldn’t look twice at. It also pushed aside a plot that I actually enjoyed.

Do you not see what I am saying? I prefer the Fall of Reach over Halo: Reach. Therefore to me, the events that took place in TFOR were the true events. If I prefer it, I’m going to stick with it.
You prefer Reach’s story for some odd reason. I can only guess that you have never read the books. And Timmy, just because the book came first doesn’t guarantee it’s place as canon-holder. Everything like this all goes into my argument of Preference.

I prefer good character development and coherent plot over Halo: Reach. If you don’t like that then it’s your problem, not mine. I don’t intend to change the way I think and feel because somebody on the internet got a little buttsore.

> When we say it’s not canon, it’s not canon.
> We’re not just making it up because we don’t like it.
> Sure, the game canon is more popular than the book, but the book came FIRST.
> The book created the canon, and is keeping it going.

Where is this nonsense that fans decide what’s canon or not coming from? Saying the book came first means absolutely nothing. This is the HALO series, a multimedia series centered around the GAMES. If 343 releases another prequel game that conflicts with something that happened in a book, the game automatically overrides the book in canon despite coming out later, UNLESS 343 says otherwise. I haven’t seen anything from 343 officials that says Reach isn’t canon, so that means it is.

It’s the exact same deal with the Star Wars universe, only in this case it’s not the movies that has the highest rank in canon but the games.

> @King Sangos
> I respect all of that, but to me, there wasn’t much character development.
> I thought all of the characters died in sort of a cliche way.
> When Carter died, it was totally avoidable. Emile and Noble 6 are SUPER SOLDIERS.
> They could have sprinted passed that Scarab no problem, because the Scarab gun takes 15 seconds to charge up anyway.
> When Emile died, “Who’s next?” and then he gets stabbed, was cliche. Fact. I saw it coming, because that’s been done in so many games/movies before.
>
> Nevertheless, I respect your opinions, although I may strongly disagree with most of them, but I suppose that’s why they’re called opinions!

And that is fine. I have no quarrel with your thoughts at all. It was nice to share these thoughts anyway ^^

I don’t understand why you’re yelling “YOU” at me in the title.

Regardless, Reach’s campaign was great, and so is the multiplayer. It’s not my favorite campaign in the series, that goes to ODST, and the multiplayer’s not my favorite, that goes to Halo 2, however it’s still a great game nonetheless.

@Radical Moron
Perhaps I made a mistake in my previous post, but Teh Spearhead was kind enough to correct me.
Maybe you should pay more attention to what he’s trying to say to you.

> I don’t understand why you’re yelling “YOU” at me in the title.
>
> Regardless, Reach’s campaign was great, and so is the multiplayer. It’s not my favorite campaign in the series, that goes to ODST, and the multiplayer’s not my favorite, that goes to Halo 2, however it’s still a great game nonetheless.

Haha, it wasn’t meant to be yelling. I was just trying to emphasise the “you”.
Trying to get you as a person to give your opinion, not anybody elses.