What do you think happened at Zeta Halo?

We got the brand new trailer for Halo Infinite, and it was quite good. A big moment that made me and I imagine a lot go “what the hell?!” is seeing a segment of Zeta Halo destroyed. Last year we had the trailer on Zeta Halo with Chief and the Marines. Last year we saw in the Pelican’s system had the date May 27th, 2560. Then the new trailer we see Chief’s startup on his HUD had Halsey last modify it on September 19, 2561. Of course we have no idea what happened, but what do you theorize happened at Zeta Halo that led to us losing?

Somebody killed John Wick’s dog?

It could be anything. We don’t know enough from the two trailers to make an educated guess.

Just posted this in a Poll Discussions thread (too many threads to respond to and I love it!)

Perhaps Cortana actually fired the array, but Chief managed to disable one of the rings, thereby preventing 1/7th of the galaxy from being destroyed. Not confirmed yet whether the ring in the trailer was Zeta Halo, but if it was, then dang I really wanted to fight on that ring before it was destroyed lol.

The halo ring may have been destroyed recently before hand and the fight was an attempt to ambush the hostile only to fail.

Or as the grunts say: There was a BIIG BOOM. So your dead and I’m not sorry!

Likely Cortana threatened someone with it, and they attacked it. Though since the trailer doesn’t show much in the form of remains, guessing whoever did it pulled a Jorge and used a slipspace bomb to wipe out a chuck of ring.

I think they learn that Cortana has the Halo rings.

So they try to destroy them using her plan. Overload the reactor of a ship and crash it into the ring.

However, this is a disaster as she already knew they were coming and this Halo shoots back. This probably wipes out most of the fleet. One ship does explode but merely damages the ring.

Perhaps it detonated before landing on the ring so only did a grazing wound.

It’s possible the Infinity escapes and returns later. Alternatively it may have been the ship used to do this.

Plus, the holo projection looked like the debri was blown outwards. Cortana might have jettisoned those segments like missiles to destroy the oncoming fire ships. Preventing damage to the array.

> 2533274803587475;6:
> I think they learn that Cortana has the Halo rings.
>
> So they try to destroy them using her plan. Overload the reactor of a ship and crash it into the ring.
>
> However, this is a disaster as she already knew they were coming and this Halo shoots back. This probably wipes out most of the fleet. One ship does explode but merely damages the ring.
>
> It’s possible the Infinity escapes and returns later. Alternatively it may have been the ship used to do this.

Yet we have seen what that tactic does to a halo ring, yet this one clearly survived with what looks to be hardlight holding the gap together.

I have more questions than answers
Where is the infinity, it is destroy?
How this connect with the legendary ending of HW2? We will see how the Spirit of Fire join forces with what remains of UNSC forces?
Who destroy the ring? Chief and friends or Cortana?
Where is the The Arbiter, Palmer, Tom lasky, Healsey and the blue team?

we saw the halo ring destroy and somehow the humanity lost… I mean in the past chief destroy the halos and the humanity win. What does this mean how it is that humanity lost.
Also i have the feeling that maybe somehow i dont know why the chief was in the infinity and it get destroyed.

What ever it was, that is where the story should start. I’m not liking the plot device used by the trailer at all. Its a gimmick. Its just the same old 343 style over substance strategy that has really ruined Halos story for a lot of people.

> 2749742451072143;9:
> What ever it was, that is where the story should start. I’m not liking the plot device used by the trailer at all. Its a gimmick. Its just the same old 343 style over substance strategy that has really ruined Halos story for a lot of people.

But the plot device was a Halo ring… that’s what people have been asking for for a long time

> 2535435902217648;10:
> > 2749742451072143;9:
> > What ever it was, that is where the story should start. I’m not liking the plot device used by the trailer at all. Its a gimmick. Its just the same old 343 style over substance strategy that has really ruined Halos story for a lot of people.
>
> But the plot device was a Halo ring… that’s what people have been asking for for a long time

Its not the Halo ring. Its more the way they are structuring the story to revolve around a series of improbable events and shifting the drama away from the center of the camera frame where it belongs.

Its the whole, “there was an interesting battle here a year and a half ago, but its over now, try to piece together what cool stuff happened here that you don’t actually get to be a part of. We want the sort of thing that most games would let you experience be a mystery instead of giving you an interesting mystery to draw your attention.”

Its the whole, " Chief got jettisoned into space and entered into some kind of stasis for a year and a half and he didn’t die because our plot required him to be in stasis for a year and a half. This brand new technology exists now merely to facilitate our unnecessary plot structure that doesn’t actually serve the story or narrative well. Deus ex machina!!! ".

Its the whole, " The created are superintelligent AIs but somehow they haven’t found Chief who has been just floating there for a year and a half, even though modern 21st century algorithms with a high resolution camera could of done the job in a fraction of the time. All because our story requires that Chief be floating in stasis for a year and a half".

Its the whole, “random dude inside of ship drifting through space for a year and a half without power randomly comes within an inch of crashing into chief… Because our unnecessary plot structure requires that some dude find Chief”.

Its the whole , “Chief jumps out of the pelican in the middle of space, heading in the opposite direction of where the Halo ring is, because we think its a cool way to end the trailer”.

Its the whole, " Chief has a plan but we are not going to tell you what that plan is because narrative dissonance is cool". And yes I understand that despite them implying this is the beginning of the game, they could maybe add some actual context later. Like a mix between a Halo Wars 1 style intro and a Halo 2 intro featuring Cortana instead of the Prophets.

> It’s also helping our effort to lean into the core storytelling principles that made Halo so engaging for fans. “Discover Hope” is the first glimpse into this story and sets the stage for the beginning of Halo Infinite, leaving you with a sense of mystery, curiosity and wonder for us to unravel together in the coming months.

At first I thought it was a mood piece. The above quote seems to imply this is the first cutscene of the game.

The beginning of the game should set up the narrative context, set up the antagonists, get people passably up to speed but fill in more info later, set up the emotional core of the story, and set up the philosophical ideas or themes at the core of the story. Ideally it should do multiple of these things. This scene might set up the emotional core of the story in its random new character, he probably shouldn’t be the emotional core of the story, but if he is, then the establishing of his relationship here makes sense. Halo 2 and 3 both set up the emotional core of the story, and establish a functional narrative context within the first few minutes. The situation evolves organically from there. Halo 2 and 4 both set up the games themes within the first scene, and Halo 2 actually explores its theme it sets up throughout the narrative (shocker). Halo 4 sets up the emotional core with Cortana soon after its theme setting vignette, it doesn’t set up the narrative context well for returning players, although it does do that better than Halo 5 does or this scene does. Halo: CEs beginning is pure function, and focuses all of its energy on sufficiently establishing the past, and shifting your attention forward toward the main plot of the game.

Halo 5s beginning and seemingly Halo Infinites beginning doesn’t do any of the things it needs to do. Not a single item on the checklist is hit. Halo Infinite beginning is too focused on a stylistic framing device of, “You were in a battle here, you lost, now a year and a half has passed” to do its storytelling job properly, and logic and narrative coherency is thrown to the wind in service of style. Substance the kind of substance that would prevent people from getting lost AND allow the story to say and do something interesting is pushed away.

Most Halo games have around 50 minutes of cutscenes, and this single scene is almost ten percent of that number, and if Bonnie Ross was serious about her “too much story” perspective, I can’t imagine how they could tell an interesting story if that scene is 10% or more of the final cut. It doesn’t go anywhere, or say anything interesting, it does a poor job of setting up the drama, the themes, the preceding events, the philosophical ideas, or giving meaningful narrative context to why you should want to fight the Created, or care about where the story goes. It sets up a stupid plot structure in which your attention is being shifted to, " I wonder what cool stuff happened here a year and a half ago", rather than being shifted to the present or shifted forward, which is literally the purpose of the plot.