What do you think Halo 5's story should've been?

See, the marketing campaign they put behind this game made it look like it was going to be something dark, gritty, and more personal to Master Chief’s character. The fact that the trailers showed ONI explicitly trying to convince average citizens that the Chief was a traitor and even showed footage of him apparently dead from getting a building dropped on him was enough to put me on edge. Questions automatically come from this: Why is ONI trying to paint the Chief as a threat? Is he? What caused the Chief to be labeled as a traitor in the first place? And then they posted the trailers of Locke and the Chief sparring with each other and viewing the fight from both of their perspectives, which I thought was very interesting. So more questions popped up: Who is Locke? Why is he hunting the Chief? What are Locke’s motivations?
Based on the marketing, this is the story that I envisioned to appear in Halo 5:
With the death of Cortana, the Chief is grieving and refuses to believe that she’s gone for good. In his search to find a way to bring her back, he stumbles across SOMETHING. Something huge. This “something” is about ONI, a secret that changes everything the Chief perceived to be truth. ONI catches wind of Chief’s discovery and falls into panic. If the Chief releases the information he’s found to the public and beyond, it could mean the end of ONI and the people who have fought hard to keep dark secrets under wraps. So, in accordance to the trailers, ONI tries to convince citizens that the Chief, humanity’s savior, is a traitor in order to decrease his public support and justify his arrest and possible death. Enter Spartan Locke. He’s been loyal to ONI for years and this assignment is the biggest he’ll ever get in his life. At the same time, since he’s a Spartan IV, he wants to take down the Chief to prove that he is more than capable in taking down a Spartan II and to relinquish his repressed inferiority complex. So Locke puts together Team Osiris while the Chief recruits his old Spartan II allies to create Blue Team. Osiris eventually catches up to Blue Team and they engage each other. Locke and Chief finally meet and a lengthy, brutal fight ensues. Locke’s inferiority complex comes out and his jealousy pushes him to try and kill the Chief. However, the Chief manages to overpower him and he forces Locke to hear the truth. After much convincing, Locke realizes ONI’s corruption and seeks revenge for being used as a pawn. At this point, Osiris and Blue Team combine forces and start a campaign against ONI, building an army comprised of ONI and UNSC forces as well as average citizens. With both armies at the ready, the campaign ends on a cliffhanger, the impending war left to be resolved in Halo 6.

What do you guys think? How did you envision Halo 5’s story to be?

This is great. Couldn’t have visioned it better myself!

> 2533274860927598;2:
> This is great. Couldn’t have visioned it better myself!

Thank you very much.

I think it should have been Chief going solo after Halsey who had defected to the Covenant at the time to rescue her to get her to “fix” Cortana. Then there could have actually been a “hunt” as Chief searched locations for Halsey and the UNSC looking for Chief… Then a big battle between Chief and Jul to rescue Halsey and then she could have “fixed” Cortana to bring her back…

> 2533274816788253;4:
> I think it should have been Chief going solo after Halsey who had defected to the Covenant at the time to rescue her to get her to “fix” Cortana. Then there could have actually been a “hunt” as Chief searched locations for Halsey and the UNSC looking for Chief… Then a big battle between Chief and Jul to rescue Halsey and then she could have “fixed” Cortana to bring her back…

I’d have been down for this, too. At least give a good reason for bringing Cortana back instead of just shoehorning her into the end. This also would have given Halsey’s character a bit more relevance to the story rather than just having her emotionless expressions and monotone voice saying, “We GOTTA get THE CHIEF back.”

I think it should’ve been like Halo ODST with finding clues and trying to find the Chief as he’s framed for things he’s not doing. It would’ve been better that way. I think we also should’ve gotten flashback missions to explain who in the world these characters we are playing as are. Just a thought.

> 2533274883563272;6:
> I think it should’ve been like Halo ODST with finding clues and trying to find the Chief as he’s framed for things he’s not doing. It would’ve been better that way. I think we also should’ve gotten flashback missions to explain who in the world these characters we are playing as are. Just a thought.

LateNightGaming recently posted a YouTube video about this, I think. Not sure what his sources are, but apparently 343 WAS going in that precise direction before Microsoft allegedly forced them to do rewrites. I would’ve LOVED it if Halo 5 had an ODST-type story! ODST’s campaign is second to CE’s for me.