What Do People Mean By Map Control?

I’ve heard this element of Halo gameplay mentioned many times, however I really don’t have a good understanding of map control. I originally thought it meant controlling the positions where the power weapons are but that seems to be weapon control.

After this, I watched a few Halo tournaments to try and gain an understanding of what it was. Both of the commentators stated how one team was establishing map control, but to me it seemed like they were just running around the map and chasing down enemy players, how is that map control?

So could someone give me a definition of map control and how you would establish and hold map control in a game, thanks!

Matters the map to be honest. On shrine if you can control both cars and rings and pin them in there rocks or snipe that’s map control.

map control is basically having control of the power weapons and spawn points. you want someone to be where rockets spawn, right when they are going to spawn (snipers and so on)… and pretty much having players on the spots in the map where you can just beat on kids as they spawn up.

Map control is when you have teammates positioned in key areas of a map that provide a good view of surrounding areas, usually places that are pretty defendable. This is strengthened by having control over power weapons like the sniper and rockets as well

Map control is where you secure all the power weapons and spawns, blocking certain spawns would force the enemy to only respawn where you wanted them to. Mainly being in the old Halo games where the default weapons were at a severe disadvantage. In Reach/Halo 4 though, map control wasn’t really a thing since everyone could spawn with a DMR/BR to defend themselves.

It’s a combination of controlling the power weapons, and pushing the opposing team to certain spawn points. Take Sanctuary/Shrine for example. You want to control the rockets/sword and the snipers. On this map you only push into the center and a little bit past it towards the enemy base. If you go all the way into the enemy base it will move their spawn points behind you. But if you maintain the center and stay just a tish towards your side of the map, it keeps spawning the opposite team in the same spot, thus allowing you to essentially spawn rape them. Most maps have something to this effect. It also has to deal with controlling the high ground, ie. the two towers on lockout. Force the opposing team into bullet funnels.

Map control to many people is when you and your team literally camp in the “power weapons” (rocket, sniper)

When you win the vote for the map you want, then you have map control.

Thanks for the replies people! I think I’m understanding it better now.

However, in terms of controlling spawns, am I right in thinking that the enemy team will always respawn at their side of the map unless your team has more than one player in that area?

> 2533274820230754;9:
> Thanks for the replies people! I think I’m understanding it better now.
>
> However, in terms of controlling spawns, am I right in thinking that the enemy team will always respawn at their side of the map unless your team has more than one player in that area?

Kind of. It is hard to describe. Just look at youtube videos googling "Halo X Spawn/Map Control.

get power weapons to lock down the enemy team

> 2533274842868783;8:
> When you win the vote for the map you want, then you have map control.

I hope this is sarcasm…

Map control is literally the control of strategic positions on the map, control as in having one or more players on your team in that position ( or can even just be recon of that position), countering any push from the opposition. As power weapons can change the game their spawn locations became important to the overall strategy.

Depending on the map design you can have power weapon spawns that are bad strategic locations (rockets bottom mid on narrows/halo3) so the map control shifts to stronger locations that allow for recon of the power weapon spawn and also allows for cover of the power weapon spawn while also allowing you to defend the position you are currently holding.

Also worth noting that in a tournament context map control allows for greater awareness of where the opposition is and almost as important, where they are not.

Map control at a high level requires a lot of synergy, recon, and communication.
at the highest level you can have a meta-game develop where you know what strategy a team is likely to use on maps therefore you can construct a strategy the counter those, they construct a strategy that counters that one, etc.

> 2533274820230754;9:
> Thanks for the replies people! I think I’m understanding it better now.
>
> However, in terms of controlling spawns, am I right in thinking that the enemy team will always respawn at their side of the map unless your team has more than one player in that area?

What you would normally do in a tournament context is study the maps in forge, learn spawns, their cut off points (how close you have to be to stop the enemy spawning there. Once this is known you can build a strategy around that information. I remember on reach on zealot there was a strategy where you can get the enemy team spawn tramped under the base, to where they literally cant move off spawn from get shoot by four people. this is the result of deconstruction of the map layout, spawn placements and construction of a strategy around that information. that map was poorly designed.

It’s different for most teams but you know when your team has it. Sometimes it’s choke points and line of sight, whilst some matches it’s about power weapons and sticking with mates.

> 2678033349862963;6:
> It’s a combination of controlling the power weapons, and pushing the opposing team to certain spawn points. Take Sanctuary/Shrine for example. You want to control the rockets/sword and the snipers. On this map you only push into the center and a little bit past it towards the enemy base. If you go all the way into the enemy base it will move their spawn points behind you. But if you maintain the center and stay just a tish towards your side of the map, it keeps spawning the opposite team in the same spot, thus allowing you to essentially spawn rape them. Most maps have something to this effect. It also has to deal with controlling the high ground, ie. the two towers on lockout. Force the opposing team into bullet funnels.

This is a pretty good description of map control. yes power weapons are a part of it but more importantly it’s making sure the enemy can’t spawn behind you. and no they will not always spawn on their side of the map, at least in team slayer. I usually play individually so map control can be hard to achieve with a group of strangers… but sometimes it happens for us, and sometimes it happens against us.

[deleted]

Map control is that thing that sprinting ruined.

> 2533274954421300;12:
> > 2533274842868783;8:
> > When you win the vote for the map you want, then you have map control.
>
>
> I hope this is sarcasm…

This is pretty smart IMHO

> 2533274836665383;17:
> Map control is the players/teams establishment of optimum placement around any given map in order to facilitate the best control of spawns, weapons and employment of strategy.
>
> Map control is arguably most important facet of competitive Halo.

This. Used to take skill and teamwork to make happen in the original Halo games. The newer ones? Map control is not nearly as important since everything is “balanced” and there are a million one shot one kill weapons that people get randomly from ordinances.