What do people make of...

Just one small thing that I noticed playing earlier today after a short break. There’s a breakout variant in team arena… Surprised they would throw that in.

I guess most people go into team arena for the more classic 4v4 objective game types - to a lesser extent, slayer. I don’t see this a having a place here. It’s too distinct and different. It shouldn’t be lumped in with the more normal 4v4 style matches. I think it is an attempt - not a totally bad one - at upping the game mode count, but it definitely doesn’t belong here. I am of the opinion team arena should have maps weighted 35% CTF, 35% strongholds and 30% slayer (maybe more weighted against slayer, but you get the idea) until more objective modes are introduced. But this arena breakout feels wrong in this playlist.

Team arena should be for more “standard” game modes. We have a playlist already for the super-new (and hugely enjoyable) breakout. Surely, all breakout variants belong in a breakout playlist? Just a thought. This is one of the few small things I feel needs to be tweaked to improve the players experience.

Totally agree

I would weigh it more towards Slayer but I agree with the overall sentiment you’re expressing.

> 2533274830462261;3:
> I would weigh it more towards Slayer but I agree with the overall sentiment you’re expressing.

Why? When Slayer has its own dedicated playlist while CTF and SH don’t…

its better than having actual breakout in it like it did before the last update

I would love a pure ctf mode. It’s so fun running and defending. Stronghold is ok too. I don’t see why they just make the three styles, three different modes :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274954830324;6:
> I would love a pure ctf mode. It’s so fun running and defending. Stronghold is ok too. I don’t see why they just make the three styles, three different modes :stuck_out_tongue:

I could also go for a CTF mode!

> 2533274797303698;7:
> > 2533274954830324;6:
> > I would love a pure ctf mode. It’s so fun running and defending. Stronghold is ok too. I don’t see why they just make the three styles, three different modes :stuck_out_tongue:
>
>
> I could also go for a CTF mode!

me too

> 2535417680235809;5:
> its better than having actual breakout in it like it did before the last update

To be fair, it is an immense improvement in this regard. I still wouldn’t have it in here, though. As I’ve said, breakout and all variants thereof belong in the breakout playlist.

It’s a good idea to buff up the game mode count, but it just doesn’t belong here. Oddball? Definitely! KOTH? Maybe a little less common, but still should be here. This playlist should have all objective game modes equally weighted, with slayer taking up around 30% of all games played - maybe 40, absolute top. CTF -Slayer - Oddball - Slayer - Strongholds would be the sort of gaming nights you’d be looking at. I think this is what 343i need to aim for - a good variation of classic 4v4 modes.

I was deeply annoyed that Breakout was in Arena until I realised that pretty much no-one knows how to play it, ignores the flag and goes for kills. I single handedly won all my Breakout rounds (two games) last night by stealing the flag and scoring in their base while the opposing team were distracted killing. Give it a go, there are some surprisingly short routes from flag to score point. Fathom is a matter of dropping down and hopping through a window and Regret is SO easy. Grab it, drop to lowest floor, score.

> 2601632999026533;10:
> I was deeply annoyed that Breakout was in Arena until I realised that pretty much no-one knows how to play it, ignores the flag and goes for kills. I single handedly won all my Breakout rounds (two games) last night by stealing the flag and scoring in their base while the opposing team were distracted killing. Give it a go, there are some surprisingly short routes from flag to score point. Fathom is a matter of dropping down and hopping through a window and Regret is SO easy. Grab it, drop to lowest floor, score.

I’ve seen my friend do the same, but it still isn’t a game mode that belongs in the quintessential 4v4 game mode playlist. Ease of play isn’t really important; it’s the fact it just should not be here. And, as you said, it’s just 5-9 rounds of people going for kills. This playlist is held back by this mode standing in for other game modes.

The key to breakout is to play a number of matches in a row, so everyone is more invested in the match, you’re in the zone, everything feels important. When it comes out of nowhere, the attitude swerves more towards “let’s just get this over with”, and the game mode can’t be enjoyed properly. Arena breakout really should be dropped from team arena. No two ways about it.

I couldn’t agree with you more OP. I enjoy Breakout, but not as part of Team Arena. Breakout should stay in its own playlist.

> 2533274856454931;12:
> I couldn’t agree with you more OP. I enjoy Breakout, but not as part of Team Arena. Breakout should stay in its own playlist.

It’s a pity that it’s in more than anything - any experience people are going to have with arena breakout is going to be a diluted one if it’s in team arena. People now do not have the option of a night of just classic modes.

Don’t get me wrong, it should be removed. It was just funny last night, I was just running past the opposing team!

My bad! It’s always funny when one man wins the match… Sigh, hopefully this version of breakout gets dropped out. And we see some mighty fine game modes instead!

> 2535442610755361;15:
> My bad! It’s always funny when one man wins the match… Sigh, hopefully this version of breakout gets dropped out. And we see some mighty fine game modes instead!

I’m pretty sure they’ve added breakout to the mix because it currently lacks playlists. I’m pretty sure if they would throw in oddball or whatever they will remove breakout.

> 2533274810450374;16:
> > 2535442610755361;15:
> > My bad! It’s always funny when one man wins the match… Sigh, hopefully this version of breakout gets dropped out. And we see some mighty fine game modes instead!
>
>
> I’m pretty sure they’ve added breakout to the mix because it currently lacks playlists. I’m pretty sure if they would throw in oddball or whatever they will remove breakout.

I’ve been hoping that is the case since arena breakout first came to the playlist. They already have large chunks of both Oddball and KOTH already from CTF and Strongholds. With luck, it will be a very short wait.

> 2535439780801708;4:
> > 2533274830462261;3:
> > I would weigh it more towards Slayer but I agree with the overall sentiment you’re expressing.
>
>
> Why? When Slayer has its own dedicated playlist while CTF and SH don’t…

To be fair, slayer gives you a break between the heart pounding anxiety of playing objectives - I’d say 2 in every 5 or 3 in every 10 games should be slayer. More than likely the latter. It’s a nice way to break things up.